The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

One nil will do for Manchester United... little did we know icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

therein lies the difference between Chelsea and us

christ, see what everyone means about Tyler. it's like he's on a one-man mission during that video to try and put a downer on things :/

say what you like about Clive Tyldesley, but the man knows how to sell a goal, not least a big goal. when a commentator gets it right, that piece of commentary is forever mentally associated with that goal, we could all think of tons of examples of that - you can't say that about any of Tyler's efforts this season, whereas Tyldesley against Roma, or whoever it was commentating on JOS' goal at Anfield (Hawthorne?), they'll stay with me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cantonarv:

Also just looking at Alvaro Recoba he is out of contract at the end of the season. He's only 30 perhaps a cheeky bid for him?

Rotating him and Giggs would be sweet - He would be an awesome player for 2 years at least giving us more time and saving us money to buy Nani or whoever in a couple of years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as we don't have to face a team with Vinny Grella in it :**************************************************************(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

taz needs to step up and make a compilation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stuck doing 12 hour days over 5 days a week at work at the minute.

Have been wanting to do one for a while so hopefully i will get round to it this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cantonarv:

Also just looking at Alvaro Recoba he is out of contract at the end of the season. He's only 30 perhaps a cheeky bid for him?

Rotating him and Giggs would be sweet - He would be an awesome player for 2 years at least giving us more time and saving us money to buy Nani or whoever in a couple of years? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as we don't have to face a team with Vinny Grella in it :**************************************************************( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody furriners, talkin furrin icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

taz needs to step up and make a compilation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stuck doing 12 hour days over 5 days a week at work at the minute.

Have been wanting to do one for a while so hopefully i will get round to it this weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good lad icon_cool.gif, how's the new job going?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Man United may scrap securitization plans

By Elena Moya

LONDON (Reuters) - Closely watched plans by Manchester United to borrow against future ticket sales could be scrapped in favour of more flexible debt options, a person familiar with the situation said on Monday.

The top club in England's Premier League has appointed Royal Bank of Scotland and Deutsche Bank to start working on a securitization, or the wrapping of its 663 million pounds of debt into a bond, using future ticket sales as collateral.

But now, Manchester United and the controlling Glazer family, is also considering a quick leveraged recapitalization, similar to the one it carried out last August, under which the most expensive debt tranches would be eliminated, increasing senior debt, the source said.

"Securitization is cheaper, but it has less flexibility than bank debt," said the source, who requested anonymity.

A securitization can place more restrictions on how a company operates than bank debt and may be easier to negotiate with bank lenders than bondholders, if necessary. Securitizations also generally have longer maturities than bank debt.

The change in capital structure is aimed at reducing the hefty interest costs that came with the loans that financed Malcolm Glazer's 790-million pound acquisition in 2005.

Manchester United's 150 million pound second-lien debt tranche costs as much as 500 basis points above the London Interbank Offered Rate (Libor), while the 375 million pounds of senior debt cost between 212.5 and 275 basis points above Libor.

German club Schalke 04 recently signed a debt deal costing just 160 basis points above Libor, another source familiar with the deal said.

Manchester United also has 138 million pounds of PIK notes, which charge a stinging 14.25 percent fixed interest rate. This tranche was reduced last year from 338 million pounds.

A decision may be taken soon, although talks between the club and its financial advisers about a securitization are proceeding, the source said.

Manchester United declined to comment.

The Manchester United securitization, which is being closely watched by other clubs, could be the catalyst for other similar transactions, bankers say, as investor appetite for soccer financing deals increases.

The Premier League has doubled its sales to 2 billion euros in five years, with matches being broadcast in more than 200 countries.

U.S. corporate giant General Electric , whose finance unit has over $230 billion (117 billion pounds) assets under management, recently said it would beef up its presence in European soccer deals.

Clubs are increasingly in need of financing as they build new stadiums and face soaring players' salaries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glazers are good though icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fabio's nothing like Gaby either from what i've heard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said a combination of him and Paddy. He's good in the air while having the Paddy attributes when going forward.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fabio's nothing like Gaby either from what i've heard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said a combination of him and Paddy. He's good in the air while having the Paddy attributes when going forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AS long as the combination isn't the other way round.

so in laymans terms, that means they'll increase the debt to make the interest payments smaller? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm no expert, but my reading of it is yes and no. Some of the finance for the initial deal came from sources that technically aren't classed as debt, which is why the board were saying there was less debt in the offer they accepted, when the money still wasn't coming from the Glazers. These secondary routes often have different penalties if you default, and higher interest charges. So what the Glazers are trying to do is to shift out of them now before they cost a fortune, into more traditional bank or bond routes. So technically it's adding debt, but in reality it's just shifting your debt from one source to another, hopefully to reduce the cost.

At least that's how i've read it and remember it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can explain it better/more accurately.

I'm looking at it with similar Knowledge to Mark.

Mart, think of it like these companies that offer you the chance to consolidate your existing debts into one, easy monthly payment.

It may sound like a swindle. But, when you look at it. By going with this company, you're actually going to save money even though you're taking out a little bit extra on top, because the interest payments are nowhere near as high with them as with the two three or four companies who you currently with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm sure someone with more knowledge can explain it better/more accurately. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not you Gregg.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I have now voted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, me too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I'm looking at it with similar Knowledge to Mark.

Mart, think of it like these companies that offer you the chance to consolidate your existing debts into one, easy monthly payment.

It may sound like a swindle. But, when you look at it. By going with this company, you're actually going to save money even though you're taking out a little bit extra on top, because the interest payments are nowhere near as high with them as with the two three or four companies who you currently with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Often the opposite applies Gregg. You tend not to save money because although the monthly interest charges are lower, you pay it back over such a long period of time and your monthly payments are so heavily weighted to paying off just interest rather than capital, that by the time it's paid off you've paid more than you would have done with your straight loans.

Obviously, the reason people use them is that you pay less each month, so unless you literally have more going out than coming in each month and you hve to cut your month to month costs, most people should avoid them. even then there are often better options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

SUCH a copycat icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sent mine last night, i just didn't post in here that i had.

I'd love that on my phone icon_frown.gif

what are we all doing tomorrow night then chaps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, what's happening tomorrow?

I'm going to ask my brother to lend me ten thousand pounds. Stuff like that puts the trivial nature of football starkly into context.

Note that I only consider football trivial when we don't win.

I'm going to ask my brother to lend me ten thousand pounds. Stuff like that puts the trivial nature of football starkly into context.

Note that I only consider football trivial when we don't win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely there are easier avoidance methods? Seems a bit extreme. Can't you just clean the bathroom or something?

It depends on what company you use though Mark. Some of those companies are designed to do that, while others actually try to strive for a good reputation. Lombard Direct for example generally try to ensure they still make money from the interest payments but keep it at a reasonable amount.

Like with anything when it comes to money there are potential problems and bonuses with both sides.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

It depends on what company you use though Mark. Some of those companies are designed to do that, while others actually try to strive for a good reputation. Lombard Direct for example generally try to ensure they still make money from the interest payments but keep it at a reasonable amount.

Like with anything when it comes to money there are potential problems and bonuses with both sides. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, although i stand by the "other options first" comment. Not in all cases obviously, but if you talk to professional advisors about this sort of thing, they'll tell you that in most cases consolidation loans are not your best option, and that the companies involved generally don't tell you the other options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Note that I only consider football trivial when we don't win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely there are easier avoidance methods? Seems a bit extreme. Can't you just clean the bathroom or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The extremity of the method reflects the sheer horror of what could happen icon_frown.gif

You know we're just going to confuse the poor sod even further now, don't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe there's an absolute limit, and we were past that threshold before Edwards sold up.

feck off greg icon_biggrin.gif

ali, what do you want 10k for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To fund me doing a masters in Governance and Public Policy. I've managed to save enough to cover the £5k fees, but then it's the, you know, actual living for a year that I'm a bit worried about.

I could easily get a graduate or career development loan, but given that my brother currently earns £105,000 a year and already owns his 8 bedroom house, I thought I'd ask him first and hopefully persuade him to give me a much lower interest rate and a 12 month delay before starting repayments.

He's a bastard, my brother. Only got 4 O levels and all icon_frown.gif

video clip would be awesome icon_smile.gif

ouch ali </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of phone have you got?? I've got the clip for a Sony Ericsson but should be able to convert to Nokia as well.

'isnt that just the hallmark of champions'

the one bit of commentary from this season that will live in the memory.

icon_cool.gif

also remember 'henrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, the great man' in the 90th minute at the emirates, from none other than martin unbiased tyler.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master Blasta:

video clip would be awesome icon_smile.gif

ouch ali </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of phone have you got?? I've got the clip for a Sony Ericsson but should be able to convert to Nokia as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

k800i

cheers dude icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

Florent Malouda wants to leave Lyon, anyone seen much of him to indicate whether we should be interested? Or even if we were, the way Lyon 'negotiates' would make him too expensive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at the right price he'd be a good winger to have, french ligue 1 player of the season.

but i cant see it

Archived