The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Reported. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will keep you quiet for a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reported for posting links with misleading name

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United will offer £27.5m plus £11m-rated Louis Saha for Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov. (Sun) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would ya?

Saha will be valued at quite a bit less than that, but even so that's a high price. While i think Berbatov's great and think he would do well, i think we'd be better suited to someone with much more pace and mobility. Kind of like Saha, but maybe with the added abilities of being able to score one-on-ones, and actually make it onto the pitch for more than half a season.

I'd be amazed if we had that amount of cash left at the moment, so even if we did spending that would preclude getting a winger, which i think is number one priority.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Glazer family rubbished suggestions on Friday that they are considering selling Manchester United.

For the second time in a fortnight reports surfaced claiming Malcolm Glazer had become disillusioned by the profit-making potential at Old Trafford.

Having completed an £800million takeover two years ago, Glazer restructured the club's debt with a view to the long term and a spokesman for the family insists their commitment has not wavered.

"The Glazer family have a long-term commitment to Manchester United and that is not going to change," said the spokesman.

"Quite simply, they are not interested in selling the club. Why would they?

"They are determined to make United more successful, both on and off the pitch."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> EXCLUSIVE: Glazers will listen to offers for United

By Martin Lipton Chief Football Writer 25/05/2007

THE Glazer family are ready to consider bids for Manchester United - potentially throwing the club into off-field turmoil once more.

Less than three years after Malcolm Glazer finally won his controversial takeover battle in a deal that cost £831million, United's future is up in the air again.

Boardroom figures are privately conceding a sale in the short-term is likely after the Glazers realised United was not the cash cow they believed it would be.

Advertisement

If they sell, there is bound to be a period of uncertainty just as manager Sir Alex Ferguson would be aiming to build on the Premiership triumph.

Financial sources in the City last night confirmed feelers have started going out from Old Trafford because the takeover was proving so costly.

Malcolm Glazer paid £790m, plus legal fees of £41.3m, to win his drawn-out fight for control of the world's biggest club.

But to do so he borrowed a staggering £559m from City institutions. Last year, a refinancing package, organised by merchant bank JP Morgan, only came after the amount owed to hedge funds had grown by another £71m, leaving a total debt of £660m.

JP Morgan's fees for that transaction came to £90m - the cost of three Wayne Rooneys - and the club now faces annual repayments of £62m. That burden is wiping out the bulk of United's profits.

Despite the capacity of Old Trafford increasing to 76,000, escalating player wages and the need to continually invest in the squad - the Glazers promised Ferguson £25m each year plus an extra £25m one-off for a star signing - account for a huge chunk of income.

Fans were outraged by ticket prices for next season going up 14 per cent and the cost of home cup ties rising.

The relationship between the club's management and the Florida-based owners is becoming more and more of an issue and with Glazer seriously ill after a stroke last year and having to put control of the business in the hands of his sons, it seems he is increasingly looking for a way out.

United chief executive David Gill was said to have been in a "really bad mood" before United's FA Cup Final defeat, preoccupied by affairs at the club.

One well-placed City source said: "What we're all hearing is United hasn't turned out to be what the Glazers thought it was. When they paid so much, they were convinced a lot of money was to be made.

"Buying United wasn't about owning a football club, but a business decision and from an investment point of view it's been little short of disastrous."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

more pace and mobility?

being able to score?

not always injured?

<---------- *clears throat*

PLEASE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a striker would help, which he isn't.

If they sell us, what happens to the debt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's their parting gift to us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

That's their parting gift to us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what i was trying to ask just up top, guess it answers my question. I can't believe people can do that icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

answer your text mark!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit hard when you work in a hospital, so your phone has to be off all day icon_razz.gif

Bung me an e-mail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

That's their parting gift to us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what i was trying to ask just up top, guess it answers my question. I can't believe people can do that icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The debt will take the value off the company, so they will almost certainly lose money on the deal given the fee's that have been paid.

Not that that's any consolation to us of course.

thing is, if you get brought out could the new guy just put you in administration for next season, take the 10 point hit, then be back to normal the season after with no debt and the same players? worse case scenario is that you don't win the league or you just miss out on the champions league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

I dont think the chaps owed money would accept administration for utd, given they can pay the interest and debt comfortably. (albeit with no extra money to spend) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with all that post, with the exception that i'd quibble over the word comfortably.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:I agree with all that post, with the exception

I dont think the chaps owed money would accept administration for utd, given they can pay the interest and debt comfortably. (albeit with no extra money to spend) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that i'd quibble over the word comfortably. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought you'd say that icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

i've got an idea. Could i buy a football club by taking out a HUGE loan, put that loan on the club, then sell the club to make a profit for myself and thus leaving the club in huge debt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you purchased a club valued at £100m with a loan for that amount and then placed the full value of the loan on the company, no way would you be able to sell the company for £100m. Depending on what happened to the company under your control is what you will be able to sell it for. But a £100m debt would cancel out the value of the company at £100m.

In the glazers case, the company has became more profitable (I know before tax & interest) so a £600m debt on a company worth £800m when it was bought will probably end up with the club being sold for maybe £400m, don't really know tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Any sale would hopefully include the payment of the debt.

Isn't the debt held by Red Football at the moment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would require someone with somewhere between £800m and £1b pounds lying around in used notes buying us.

makes sense to sell now tbh, there's no way they'll ever pay off the debt and the club's value will be quite high after last season, probably higher than what they paid for it, if they can find someone with the money then they can get out without making a loss, which I'd be quite happy with if I was them. The thing is any new owner would be unlikely to be able to afford the club without taking out loans just like the Glazers, unless we have someone very rich, or they were to list us on the stock market again. Which I think would be ideal, this time the fans would surely buy up a lot more of the club than last time, though this'll artificially push the price up a lot, though that may be good to prevent future takeovers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

eh? is it REALLY likely they had no idea how profitable/non profitable the club was? not sure im buying this 'well theyre a bit gutted as its not the cash cow they thought it was' business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they knew how profitable/non profitable the club was, i think the question mark would be over how much capacity there was to increase that profitability. However, i would find it strange if they were to dump the club now, just before the new TV money comes into play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

eh? is it REALLY likely they had no idea how profitable/non profitable the club was? not sure im buying this 'well theyre a bit gutted as its not the cash cow they thought it was' business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they knew how profitable/non profitable the club was, i think the question mark would be over how much capacity there was to increase that profitability. However, i would find it strange if they were to dump the club now, just before the new TV money comes into play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the new tv money will be taken into account for any price they get for the club though. They've got the increased stadium capacity, + increased ticket prices, + more success on the pitch, if they aren't making enough profit now to cover the loans then they never will. The clubs value is at its peak, and will only go up if we win the CL, which you can't rely on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I think they knew how profitable/non profitable the club was, i think the question mark would be over how much capacity there was to increase that profitability. However, i would find it strange if they were to dump the club now, just before the new TV money comes into play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the new tv money will be taken into account for any price they get for the club though. They've got the increased stadium capacity, + increased ticket prices, + more success on the pitch, if they aren't making enough profit now to cover the loans then they never will. The clubs value is at its peak, and will only go up if we win the CL, which you can't rely on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They haven't had any of the new TV money yet is what i meant. Whatever revenue they got this year is going to go up by £10m-£20m next year.

yeah and they'll know that, and as such they'll know how much profit they'll make next season, and if it's not enough then it's better to sell now before we start losing again. The price they get for the club will take into account that revenue will increase by £10/20m.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

yeah and they'll know that, and as such they'll know how much profit they'll make next season, and if it's not enough then it's better to sell now before we start losing again. The price they get for the club will take into account that revenue will increase by £10/20m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i understand that. The point is that the TV deal was higher than most people predicted. So if that money is above projections, how far out must their calculations have been if they're still so far behind that they want to bow out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Didn't the PLC always assume we were knocked out in the first round of any cup competition? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe for the domestic cups, but they budgeted for Qtr finals in the CL.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Didn't the PLC always assume we were knocked out in the first round of any cup competition? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe for the domestic cups, but they budgeted for Qtr finals in the CL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they budgeted that we'd get out of the groups, so that should more accurately be first knockout stage. That would have been QF for a long time, but 2nd round since they got rid of the second group stage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

Otherwise I propose a Man United thread whip-round, see if we can afford to take the club off their grubby hands.

Nick as chairman maybe... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

er no icon_biggrin.gif

Archived