The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of those presents you give hoping they'll chuck it out and you can take it after the horribly boring party, because you never liked him anyway and only went because you're too nice to hurt his feelings.

Not really a present either, but if he was having a party and I was invited that's what'd happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> UNITED COULD FACE FANS BACKLASH

Manchester United are facing the prospect of legal action from their own fans over the controversial 'automatic cup scheme' (ACS).

The scheme, which makes it compulsory for fans to buy tickets for all cup games at Old Trafford, had previously been obligatory only for new season-ticket holders.

For the first time this summer, it has been extended to the remaining 25% of existing season-ticket holders who have not previously signed up.

In a campaign such as that just ended, when United played 10 cup games at home, it would add a minimum of £390 to the cost of the most expensive season ticket next season, even if the supporter was a 'One United' member.

Even though price rises for 2007-08 have touched 14% in some areas of Old Trafford, United have received many more complaints about the ACS.

Now the Manchester United Supporters' Trust (MUST) are taking up the argument.

MUST have already engaged a leading legal firm to act on their behalf and should their demand for United to withdraw the compulsory ACS for existing season-ticket holders not be met, they intend to pursue the matter through the courts.

"As a first step, our lawyers will be writing to the club asking for clarification because of the confused signals coming out of the club over this issue," said a MUST statement.

"If the club confirms to us through our lawyers that the ACS is now compulsory for all season-ticket holders, we will be exploring with them the possibility of season-ticket holders, who have been disadvantaged in this way, taking legal action individually or as a class."

Whether MUST are successful in their quest is open to considerable doubt. As an autonomous company, United can presumably charge what they like for a ticket and insert any clauses they wish.

As Old Trafford continues to sell out for every Premiership game, despite an expanded 76,000 capacity and there remains a 14,000-strong waiting list for season tickets, the club are certainly in a position of strength.

But the row proves there is still an undercurrent of unhappiness with the Malcolm Glazer regime, even if the financial situation at United looks somewhat rosier than it appeared when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner completed his controversial £800million takeover two years ago.

Certainly, even MUST - traditionally one of Glazer's fiercest critics - can see why the Florida-based family would not want to sell the club, as has been reported. Those reports of a potential sale have been denied in the strongest possible terms by those closest to the family.

After rejecting a similar story on the eve of the last Premiership home game against West Ham earlier this month, the Glazers have been 'flabbergasted' to discover yet more speculation surfacing.

At a time when United are about to benefit from a massively-increased TV deal and knowing revenue from sponsorship and season-ticket sales - albeit through major price increases which have attracted huge criticism from fans' groups - is about to rise significantly, there would appear to be no sense behind any move by the Glazers to bail out now.

And a spokesman for the family could not have been more clear when he pointed out their vision for the future.

"The Glazer family have a long-term commitment to Manchester United and that is not going to change," he said.

"Quite simply, they are not interested in selling the club. Why would they?

"They are determined to make United more successful, both on and off the pitch."

MUST have suggested a few possible reasons why Glazer might want to sell up, including rising UK interest rates which have an impact on annual interest repayments of £62million. They also believe resistance to the ACS may be a problem, as well as rising player salaries.

However, even MUST acknowledge "the future does look brighter than before, both on and off the pitch".

It does seem certain the Glazers' desire to enter the transfer market will be tested this summer.

After a couple of relatively small-spending summers, Sir Alex Ferguson is looking to bring in three big names in an attempt to keep United on top despite the added financial muscle of Liverpool and Portsmouth, plus the likelihood of Chelsea splashing the cash again.

Plans to complete the signing of Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich have been slightly delayed by the late return of chief executive David Gill from a troubleshooting visit to Malaysia but the £17million United are set to spend on the England midfielder does not mark the end of Ferguson's intended summer spree.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in that 25% who wasn't already in the automatic cup scheme, but we were going to join it for 07/08 anyway because we want to go to all the games and apply for aways. But I do feel sorry for those who want to go to all the league games but will find it hard to get to cup games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

doesn't quite work that way Gregg dearest icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't it?

Poor Keyser icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

especially not when i'm already older than him, no icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers guys icon14.gif

Oh, except Saha. icon_frown.gif

You could have stayed within your Joss Whedon obsessed universe and sent me a pic of Morena Baccarin, but no. Hell, even Eliza Dushku would have been better than that wonky nosed, blonde munter. icon_mad.gif

What can you expect from bloody colonials icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

doesn't quite work that way Gregg dearest icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't it?

Poor Keyser icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

especially not when i'm already older than him, no icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers guys icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why did you have to say that before he came on here outraged that i'd said he was older than you. icon_frown.gif

You've ruined my fun now icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Saha will be valued at quite a bit less than that, but even so that's a high price. While i think Berbatov's great and think he would do well, i think we'd be better suited to someone with much more pace and mobility. Kind of like Saha, but maybe with the added abilities of being able to score one-on-ones, and actually make it onto the pitch for more than half a season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whilst the figures (and probably the whole deal itself) quoted in the paper is likely complete rubbish, Berbs would be ffffb and I disagree with the above

Don't think we really 'need' a pacy striker at all given the way we now play. Ronaldo and Rooney offer a lot of pace and power in their styles drifting in from both wide areas.

The "main" front-man, with a touch, movement, vision, passing and finishing ability as good as Berbatov's, would fit in absolutely perfectly with or without blistering pace imo.

I want it to happen so much but sadly don't think it will :*(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> TAKEN FROM RAOTL today:

Jay_Mc

Forum Ian Callaghan

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:38 pm Post subject: GARY NEVILLE HA HA HA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the ferry on the way the final Tuesday night.

Sat there bevying when some Manc girl mentions to someone about having his number. Said to her we didn't believe her and that, winding her up asking how she got it. Anyway she says phone him and find out then. So I ring the number.

Asking who it is, won't say his name. I'm going is that you Gary and he still keeps asking who it is. So I just tell him I am Phil Neville and put the phone down. Ten seconds later, phone goes withheldnumber. I answer. All he does is keep saying I hope you die you ****. Weren't even trying to wind him up but thought why not, hes biting here. So started winding him up saying thats not nice is it Gary. He still keeps saying I hope you die.SO I said to him, Guess what Gary, were all going the European Cup Final.

He then told me we better start winning Championships then. Told him we had won 18 the daft ****. Everyones laughing at him. Keeps telling me we need to start winning them soon, told him that we will.

Winding him up asking did he shag Phil to score that oggy at Goodison. He goes quiet so I put the phone down. He phones back again, saying how the **** you going to be affording the final and the phone bill if I am only 40 quid a week. Told him I weren't on the dole. And anyway you the one who phoned me ye ****in daft twat.

He gets more and more wound up telling me he hopes I die again. Just laughed at him and said go and suck Alex off lad. He won't speak. Just hear him ****ing murmuring away. Just said to him Djimi Traore got just as many European Cup medals as you. Everyone laughed at him. Put the phone down and left him.

Battery died on me phone during the game, got back the hotel this morning to charge it and woke up to 2 voicemails of him and his mate the sad ****, screaming down the phone. Just laughed at him and went to sleep.

What a dickhead </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PLEASE be true icon_biggrin.gif

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Favourite Player/Cult Hero:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under and CAN include those out on loan

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

***right, this is lurching dangerously close to shambles territory i'll admit, but some awards business:

a few people have voted for players out on loan in the young player category. in hindsight this should have been allowed from the start really, my bad. obviously i'm sure people have voted for someone when they may have otherwise voted for a loanee, so if you want to change your vote, fling me an email at the awards address and i'll change it (unitedawards2007@gmail.com)

while you're at it, i really like gonch's idea of 'favourite player/cult hero' so if you want to email a vote in that category either on it's own or with the young player amendment, that'd rule. and anyone voting from now on should tack this award on (i'll add it on next time i re-post the voting form)

the OTFUTAC would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your tolerance of such f**kwittery.***

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm gonna start posting this every ten minutes until the rest of you c**ts vote icon_mad.gif

Spurs have signed Bale for £5m down and £5m based on certain conditions.

Cant say i am unhappy by this in the slightest. Dont think we really needed him and i am unsure how he will make the step up.

Winger and then Forward much more pressing for us. I'm quite happy to go into next season with just Evra and then people like Evans covering left back if needed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Dont think we really needed him and i am unsure how he will make the step up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on.

Frankly I didnt want us wasting any funds on another left back, good or not

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Spurs have signed Bale for £5m down and £5m based on certain conditions.

Cant say i am unhappy by this in the slightest. Dont think we really needed him and i am unsure how he will make the step up.

Winger and then Forward much more pressing for us. I'm quite happy to go into next season with just Evra and then people like Evans covering left back if needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bale > giggs > heinze > evra

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

you know, I'd love us to sign anelka </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've a good mind to stick you on ignore for that. icon_biggrin.gif

On better stuff, got paid early this month, so will be sorting that cheque tomorrow.

Has he got your address etc ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

frankly bizarre mix of positions and players that mlg but then confusing where lads play was always an issue of yours iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bale can play left midfield

How anyone can want Anelka is beyond me. The guy has a history of being a sulky disruptive influence on every team he has played for. He didn't even fit in when he went to Turkey ffs.

Now you want him at United where I am sure he won't be playing every game & will have to sit on the bench, yeah he will love that.

To me the guy doesn'teven look like he wants to try anymore anyway. He would come here & leeh as much money as he could from us before ****ing off after a season cos Ferguson dared sub him off in a game or something similarly stupid.

That's a no to Anelka incase anyone was still unsure icon14.gif

Anelka basically the identikit striker we've all been talking about, or as near as we'll probably get without Saha becoming indestructible. pace, presence, great finisher, adapted to (and proven in) the Prem. his supposedly dodgy attitude doesn't seem to have been an issue for a while either.

if we can't get Hunty or Berbatov, wouldn't be at all disappointed if we tried to get him.

Bale ifb.

He will make the step up to the Premiership.

He'll do well.

That said. Considering where he is in his development, him coming to us would be a mistake for both parties, particularly considering how well Evra is doing there.

He'll do well at Spurs. Would have been nice for Southampton to have come up and him maybe spending a couple more seasons there before joining us. Never mind. Hopefully the Brazilian kids will do well enough once Evra goes that we won't need him.

Anelka? icon_biggrin.gif

Can i have some of the drugs you're on please Mart?

Seems like you're smoking some kind of f**ked-up skunk Class A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah-ah. :herman:

Don't do that to me. icon_wink.gif

Anelka? icon_biggrin.gif

Can i have some of the drugs you're on please Mart?

Seems like you're smoking some kind of f**ked-up skunk Class A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

come on then, why? let's have some genuine reasons rather than 'haha, you having a laugh?'.

Anelka would be brilliant for us tbh. Plus he's guarenteed a goal against Arsenal, Liverpool, and City.

Viduka was linked earlier in the month, now I may get bashed for this, but I would go for him if we didn't get a prime target (Berbs, Huntelaar, Klose, Benni etc) as he would be cheap, and is proven in the Premiership.

Because he needs a lot of tender love and care, something that he's not likely to get at United. Sure he hasn't been disruptive for a while, but he still has the potential to be.

We've had problems the last few years, in part down to disruptive and dissenting influences in the dressing room. To bring in somebody with that kind of reputation has a huge amount of potential to put us right back to square one, something that, for all the guys talents as a player, and for the quality he'd offer us as an attacking outlet, i'd not be prepared to risk?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Anelka would be brilliant for us tbh. Plus he's guarenteed a goal against Arsenal, Liverpool, and City.

Viduka was linked earlier in the month, now I may get bashed for this, but I would go for him if we didn't get a prime target (Berbs, Huntelaar, Klose, Benni etc) as he would be cheap, and is proven in the Premiership. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Proven to stand about doing nothing whilst scoring a goal from a set piece every 5th game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Viduka was linked earlier in the month, now I may get bashed for this, but I would go for him if we didn't get a prime target (Berbs, Huntelaar, Klose, Benni etc) as he would be cheap, and is proven in the Premiership. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

... and almost as injury-prone as Saha, and a lard-arse, and slow.

Because he needs a lot of tender love and care, something that he's not likely to get at United. Sure he hasn't been disruptive for a while, but he still has the potential to be.

We've had problems the last few years, in part down to disruptive and dissenting influences in the dressing room. To bring in somebody with that kind of reputation has a huge amount of potential to put us right back to square one, something that, for all the guys talents as a player, and for the quality he'd offer us as an attacking outlet, i'd not be prepared to risk? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what's to say the recent lack of any disruptive tendencies isn't because he's simply matured?

i don't care about reputations necessarily, i care about the here and now. he's caused no problems at Bolton, nor Fenerbahce. he's still clearly got quality - he's better than Saha as far as i'm concerned. i'm sure Fergie would thoroughly do his research (he's big mates with Fat Sam, Houllier etc so he wouldn't struggle for opinions) and if there were concerns he'd rightly stay away.

why we should dismiss someone just because they were a bit of a moody twat when a lot younger is beyond me? not like we haven't had/got players who've needed an arm putting round them before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matthew Le God:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

frankly bizarre mix of positions and players that mlg but then confusing where lads play was always an issue of yours iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bale can play left midfield </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another frankly bizarre comment, becoming something of a habit this. john oshea can play left wing, but its not his position. if we were buying bale it would have been as a left back, where giggs can not play.

then theres the whole ranking thing you exploded onto my screen.

Archived