The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Nick was hard done by imo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing people were being willingly ambiguous with the definition, and got him included after his finest hour in the CL final thread. icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Madrid are set to make an approach for the Manchester United full-back Gabriel Heinze. Heinze, who wants to leave Old Trafford for a new challenge, was in the Spanish capital for talks this weekend. He attended Real's 3-1 victory over Deportivo La Coruña at the Santiago Bernabéu on Saturday.

Real are seeking a replacement for Roberto Carlos. The Brazilian, 34, has announced his intention to leave at the end of the season. The team remained top of La Liga with Saturday's win although Barcelona are still level with them on points after their 1-0 home victory over Getafe, which was soured by the dismissal of Ronaldinho. The Brazilian scored Barça's goal after two minutes but was sent off for a retaliatory kick at David Belenguer after he had been fouled by the Getafe defender.

Real Madrid want to sign Manchester United full-back Gabriel Heinze as a replacement for Roberto Carlos who will leave the club in the summer.

Heinze was in Madrid for talks this weekend and has admitted that he wants to leave Old Trafford in search of a new challenge. He has the experience Madrid are looking for and is expected to cost around £5 million.

United's tour match against a Malaysian XI in Kuala Lumpur on July 27 has been called off. It would have clashed with the Asian Cup tournament, which runs from July 7 to 29.

GABRIEL HEINZE is close to a £5million switch to Real Madrid.

Manchester United ace Heinze flew to the Spanish capital on Saturday to discuss the move.

And Real chiefs are convinced they will win the battle to land the Argie defender after he decided to quit Old Trafford.

They want him to replace Brazilian left-back Roberto Carlos, 34, who is being released after 10 years at the Bernabeu.

Heinze said: “I am convinced that if a good offer arrives then Manchester United will let me go.â€

Heinze, 29, who joined United in 2004 for £6.9m, is also a target for Italian giants Juventus.

But he favours a move to Real to boost his career after falling down United’s pecking order.

Boss Alex Ferguson has preferred Patrice Evra at left-back this season.

from teh times/sun/telegraph

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Although the lad is obviously quality I'm still not quite sure how I see him fitting in to Fergie's plans on the whole if I'm honest.

Its all very well saying he's an able backup to Rooney given that he seems to be a second-striker but even though he's young is he going to get the opportunities he's probably going to after since he's performed so well for Parma?

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Saha

Rooney Ronaldo

Scholes

Carrick Hargreaves

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Smith

Rossi OGS/JSP

Giggs

???? Fletcher

</pre>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we'll play the top formation when we play Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal (all the hard teams).

During the easier games, i'll think we'll go for:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

(New striker?)

Rooney Ronaldo

Giggs/Rossi

Scholes/Carrick Carrick/Hargreaves

</pre>

I can't see us dropping Giggs from the starting line up completely. Rossi does seem like the right player for the 'Giggs role' of this season too. I think Sir Alex will rotate them to get Rossi used to it, and maybe the year after take it on full time.

Scholes probably won't be-able to play every game either next season, so when he's rested Carrick should take over, with Hargreaves as his partner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Why would we play Hargreaves on the right? That just seems stupid to me.

Hargreaves has been bought to provide the tough tackling ball winning element we have been missing. Your three options are 3 in central midfield, push Scholes into the Giggs role or drop one of them.

If Hargreaves is going to spend games on the wing then its clear to me we should have bought a winger first and Hargeaves second but i just cant see that happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't saying Hargreaves out on the right was a good idea or what Fergie should be primarily thinking of using him as. All I was doing was suggesting a less than ideal alternative to having one of two 14m+ players occupying the bench regularly or having Scholes there instead.

Obviously as and when Scholes' powers begin to wane its not a giant leap to see Carrick and Hargreaves operating as the central duo to Ronaldo and another flying winger, but in the absence of said winger (and however much the Glazers/Gill say that there's money if we get two more top class signings on top of Hargreaves I'll be very surprised & despite the potential shown by some targets I’m still not convinced that the right player is necessarily out there at the minute) and with Scholesy still playing to a very high standard how we set up tactically next season based on these factors isn't cut and dried.

Its just that given Hargreaves' versatility, mobility and his experience of wing-back play from his formative years at Bayern he has the capacity to play in that area of the pitch if Fergie deems it necessary, and if people are desperate for a somewhat balanced 442 it wouldn't be totally out of whack with him there. That’s all I was trying to say.

Oh good. Gaby goes off to Madrid and the press start getting excited because of his friendship with Cristiano.

and £5m. Why are we suddenly becoming a charitable concern for Real? Any chance we could chuck a wig on Silvestre?

sell Silvestre as well. Evans and O'Shea as cover for a season, Fábio to come in next summer and be awesome.

£5m is a bit ridiculous, but isn't Gaby eligible to do that contract buy-out thing for about that much? if he wants to go then it might be that getting £5m is better than letting him do that.

I don't understand why people think Scholes is going to tail off. Pace has never been his strong point & his eye for a pass is as good as ever even with his eye problem. He has been making fewer bursts into the box but that's been the way for a few years now. I reckon he could go on for a long time yet. It's not like he faded off towards the end of the season either unlike a certain other player we have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Gaby icon_frown.gif

Real Madrid to get even more likeable then. sorry AJ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Gabby goes my currently favourite United player leaves (already happened with Ruud as well).

Yeah freakin hell. First Ruud, now Gaby. If they get Park and Vidic in the future i'll go mental.

Btw, why is there a strange tendency for the players i like the most to ship off sooner than they should?

Ruud went to cac, now Gabby. Next in line it will be Park and followed by Vidic while people like Silvestre and Richardson sit in the team doing nothing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

We're not selling o'shea

I LOVE HIM icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get in line icon_mad.gif

£5m seems a tad cheap for Heinze, thought we'd have at least recouped. And I wish it was someone other than Real, because they're cants yet will probably be most United fans' 'second team' now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I don't understand why people think Scholes is going to tail off. Pace has never been his strong point & his eye for a pass is as good as ever even with his eye problem. He has been making fewer bursts into the box but that's been the way for a few years now. I reckon he could go on for a long time yet. It's not like he faded off towards the end of the season either unlike a certain other player we have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is, for me, where the signing of Hargreaves and the subsequent tactical questions about how we use these players from next season onwards stem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I don't understand why people think Scholes is going to tail off. Pace has never been his strong point & his eye for a pass is as good as ever even with his eye problem. He has been making fewer bursts into the box but that's been the way for a few years now. I reckon he could go on for a long time yet. It's not like he faded off towards the end of the season either unlike a certain other player we have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think he did tail off slightly myself. nowhere near to the same extent as Giggs but i don't think he was quite as impressive in the back end of the season.

still better than 95% of players anywhere ever ofc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

We're not selling o'shea

I LOVE HIM icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get in line icon_mad.gif

£5m seems a tad cheap for Heinze, thought we'd have at least recouped. And I wish it was someone other than Real, because they're cants yet will probably be most United fans' 'second team' now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless Barca/Juve/Villarreal/another team throw their hats into the ring and spark a mini-bidding war for him I actually think that £5m isn't really a bad fee for him.

Based on his age, the fact that he isn't a first-team regular at the minute, there's seemingly a desire to get a deal done without any acrimony and when you consider the amount of time he's spent on the sidelines, he may be quality but its not like they're trying to prise a player at the peak of his powers away from us.

It will be sad to see Gaby go but the only reason i can think of for keeping him here would be to keep Ronaldo happy.

Gaby has been great for this club and i love the guy but i would happily let him go for £5m+ and like the rest of you have said use Evans or O'Shea as back up to Evra.

Of course i'm hoping my favourite player also joins Gaby throught the exit door. I love Sil but in all honesty its time for him to leave and allow the youngsters to step up.

i dont really think fergie will let 2/3 left backs leave. And personally think Silvestre is a much better centre back then heinze is. Although sheasy can cover lb too ive heard he is being trained as the next new ruud van nistlerooy after fergie was impressed with his tap in ability and general lazy attitude.

Silvestre is such a good defender just cant concentrate for 90minutes and his **** ups usually cost a goal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

It will be sad to see Gaby go but the only reason i can think of for keeping him here would be to keep Ronaldo happy.

Gaby has been great for this club and i love the guy but i would happily let him go for £5m+ and like the rest of you have said use Evans or O'Shea as back up to Evra.

Of course i'm hoping my favourite player also joins Gaby throught the exit door. I love Sil but in all honesty its time for him to leave and allow the youngsters to step up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf that's maybe worth £5 mil in my book :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

think he did tail off slightly myself. nowhere near to the same extent as Giggs but i don't think he was quite as impressive in the back end of the season.

still better than 95% of players anywhere ever ofc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whilst he may have tailed off somewhat, he was still the best player in a Man Utd shirt in two of the matches where the rest of team hardly appeared, Milan and Chelsea in the CL league and FA cup final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Yeah, that would be awful for you.

We've decided against a move for Pirlo incase it halts Flamini's growth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rossi has double the potential Flamini ever had, so that's quite a stupid thing to say.

Also, Pirlo is a proven world class player, and Tevez isn't.

nathan spot on tbf :/

jonah back in the prem. blatantly scoring at OT next season, just you wait </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're going to get done a few times by our old boys next season. Keane and Bruce would love to dent our title hopes. No obvious scalps. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Yeah I was exaggerating a little. My point still stands, no point me arguing in here though, i'm aware of the Rossi thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it doesn't really stand at all. we've a talented young player excelling in an elite league coming back so there's no point spending loads of money on someone in his position and stunt his progress when we need to strengthen elsewhere.

iirc, just the other day you shrugged off missing out on Bale by saying 'we have Traore who could well go on to be better'. same thing here, no?

Shrugged off not going for Bale by pointing out we have Clichy who is far better iirc.

Wasn't aware he was excelling, and I also wasn't suggesting you do go for Tevez. Just that a player, from the very limited knowledge and experience I have of him, like Rossi should not be the reason you wouldn't go for Tevez.

Now needing to strengthen elsewhere, a far more valid reason and a reason I stated about Bale and us last window.

for Clichy read Rooney. established first choice who's young enough as it is, with an even younger future star whose growth you wouldn't want to stunt by bringing in more competition for that same position.

and as you say, you've limited knowledge and experience of him, but he's practically single-handedly dragged Parma out of the bottom three and to mid-table safety with a goal every other game and more than his share of assists. fairly understandable we'd not want to put another obstacle in his path to the first team.

Fair enough, i've since had a glance at his latest record and it's impressive. Was basing my comments more on his similarities to Lupoli over here (in terms of movement more than football), didn't realise he'd been doing so well in Italy.

right, last call for votes lads:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Favourite Player/Cult Hero:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under and CAN include those out on loan

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

***right, this is lurching dangerously close to shambles territory i'll admit, but some awards business:

a few people have voted for players out on loan in the young player category. in hindsight this should have been allowed from the start really, my bad. obviously i'm sure people have voted for someone when they may have otherwise voted for a loanee, so if you want to change your vote, fling me an email at the awards address and i'll change it (unitedawards2007@gmail.com)

while you're at it, i really like gonch's idea of 'favourite player/cult hero' so if you want to email a vote in that category either on it's own or with the young player amendment, that'd rule. and anyone voting from now on should tack this award on (i'll add it on next time i re-post the voting form)

the OTFUTAC would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your tolerance of such f**kwittery.***

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if anyone wants to just add their cult hero to their earlier votes (or change their young player vote to a loanee) and cba to email then just say it in here and i'll add them.

Archived