The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joe_cole:

You still need defenders though Hargreaves could cover RB, a young CB would be good imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Evans/Pique are two awesome young CB's.

RB is the only position on the pitch where we don't have either a young person playing or an awesome kid coming through.

Btw guys about figures.

Portuguese newspapers say about 55M € for the pair

30M € for Anderson

25.5M € for Nani

No more dissing chelsea for spending loads icon_wink.gif

couple of FB signings for you guys. icon_cool.gif

If you can discipline Nani like you did to Ronaldo icon14.gif (also buff him up to take the EPL toughness)

Anderson will get whacked so much this coming season lol..he also needs a bit of thoughning up but has potential to outshine Ronaldinho and even Cristiano, just not sure he can do it in the EPL, would think he's more suited to be a star in spain.

well played icon14.gif

tbf giddiness aside, we've invested in potential here. i dont expect them to come in and be instant hits, but in terms of the future of the squad they are key. we showed how tired we were towards the end of the season and hopefully these guys will provide freshness at the right times, and develop well.

well we spent £12.5m on Ronaldo wasn't it. That appeared to be quite expensive at the time but has turned out to be an absolute snip.

Both of these players are being signed on deals which will no doubt see a lot of the money played dependant upon future success. Future success that if they do provide will no doubt be worth every penny. Also from what I've read its about 25 million euros for each of them. Which is possibly slightly overpriced but damn sure beats Shevchenko at £30m.

Building such an awesome team for the future.

yeah as I said before that is the only position in the team which doesn't have someone relatively young playing there or an awesome youngster coming through.

In a few years time this team could be so fantastic its untrue. The likes of Rio, Vidic, Carrick and Hargreaves fully matured. The likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Rossi, Evra, Anderson etc all providing us with some of the best attacking football in the world.

Just as long as the Glazers don't blow it all :/

from the club website:

Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has agreed terms with FC Bayern München for the transfer of Owen Hargreaves. The player has also agreed terms with the Club and passed his medical.

Owen will formally sign his contract with Manchester United when he returns from his holiday at the end of June and will join on 1st July 2007.

Dear merry christ I don't believe it all.

Obviously giddy as anything, but would echo the misgivings a few others have - Nani could turn out to be too lightweight, Anderson may very well fail to settle. And I still feel the need for a striker because none of our current crop can lead the line as it were.

But still, icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I'm struggling to remember the last time I was this giddy about a transfer signing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teddy Sheringham I was last this excited about icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Is anyone else amazed that we've been incredibly proactive in the transfer market so far this year.

Especially compared to the shambles that was last year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much echoed those sentiments back on pgs. 499/500 t-man.

And just out of interest, for those on Glazer finance watch, here's a question:

Based on the "transfer budgets" we've been mocking pretty much since they took over due to the damn near unquestionable realities of the debt and their general financial management, as well as the net spending on transfers being in the black since they arrived as well, how much of the rolling transfer budget has Fergie accumulated to this point (money available in each transfer window + superstar signing money) and how much has he got left after securing these three players? (Not looking to defend/support the Glazers with this info btw, still anti-them, really is just out of interest so I know how much Fergie can tempt clubs with to prise a striker away)

And someone asked how this impacts upon Carlos' chances of taking over the reigns when Fergie steps aside, well for me I do think that him being seemingly very involved in the negotiations for Nani & Anderson, as well as his close relationship to Ronaldo, Fergie trusting him enough to bring him back after his departure from Madrid all points towards the club trusting him, and unless something casts a negative shadow over his relationship with Fergie/the players/the club then he will be in a very strong position to take over. In addition Fergie could very well be given the role of "King-maker" when he leaves and if he thinks Carlos is up to the task then his word will carry a lot of weight with Gill & the Glazers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

I'm struggling to remember the last time I was this giddy about a transfer signing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teddy Sheringham I was last this excited about icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veron for me. But then I think Seba is uber.

according to the news on TV here atm Anderson was 31M €

Porto bought him for 8M€ last year he played 16 games (out with injury for a long time) and just recouped 25M € for him (the rest is to the agent company)

So now Anderson is the record sale in Portugal costing more than R.Carvalho did.

Nani is also Sporting's biggest ever sale

Seba Veron was the last one I was this excited about. icon_frown.gif

Hope this doesn't turn out that way...

dwight yorke the most shocking in recent years, was so out of the blue. i remember reading it on teletext and then going into my garden, scoring goals in an empty net and mimicking yorke's running jump and point celebration icon_cool.gif

veron probably the giddiest ive ever been because at the time he was genuinely world class, never worked out though icon_frown.gif

interesting that this anderson character is costing the same amount the real ronaldinho cost barca. hope he's good.

Ha, remember my Grandad being SO VERY uneasy about the Cantona signing. Took him about 2 games before he adored him.

And yeah, Seba for me was unbelievable. Coupled with the Ruud signing, I thought we'd be unbeatable icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

best one ever was coming home from school and finding out we'd signed Andy Cole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

english teacher strolling into our class and arrogantly announcing it to everyone (he was a southampton fan i think). was in total and utter shock. still managed to keep my composure and blitz the spelling test though icon_cool.gif

ruud was an awful one - signed him, was absolutely DELIGHTED, then he went and snapped his knee ligaments and it got cancelled.

was awesome when he finally arrived, seeing the actual contract he signed in the museum a few weeks later > *

Archived