The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

yeah thinking back to it Veron was such an awesome signing at the time. Shame it never turned out icon_frown.gif

For some reason I didn't get that giddy about Rooney. Thought we'd paid to much for him and that he wasn't the most pressing concern at the time. Oh well icon_cool.gif

I was like you about Ruud as well Gonch. So happy when he signed and then having to put it off for a year icon_frown.gif

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I walked passed when all that was happening, he went storming off to the police. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was standin' just up the road when it was goin' on...very funny stuff icon_smile.gif By the stalls on the left hand side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really hope Anderson has cut out his rolling on the floor that is demonstrated in this video.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

they are young, they have time veron didn't. it took ronaldo 3 years to settle' seba left us after 3years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean to reach his potential, don’t you?

Cristiano was a very good player in his first season, did you watch his first game against Bolton (I think)? First game, not the second one or after three months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

best one ever was coming home from school and finding out we'd signed Andy Cole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was off sick that day & watching the news. Couldn't believe it when that story popped up!

posted this on other thread:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Well,I'm portuguese(Sporting fan) so I've seen these players play lots of matches.

Nani can be MoM one half of the game and then disappear after the break.He has much more talent than Ronaldo had at his age,but I'm not entirely sure he has the mentality to take the next step.25 M was too much for him(not that I care :p) but it might reveal itself a good deal in 1,2 years.

Anderson ,technique-wise,is a world class player,better than Deco for example.And extremely fast as most of you have probably noticed already in those videos.He's not selfish,and looks humble too.The problem is,he came from brazilian second division,went to Porto,then Co Adriaanse sent him to Porto B (he didn't use a playmaker in his tactic) and didn't get to play many games.This year he had a 6 months injury and couldn't really fully recover before the end of the season.He's probably in very bad shape right now,but he's the biggest talent in Portugal.Some of you are not sure about the "the next Ronaldinho" tag.If he adapts well,then he'll surpass him in few years.

With Queiroz and Ronaldo already at Manchester,it'll be easy for them to adapt,and it makes me want to watch Man.Utd games even more this year Big Grin

To those who talked about Quaresma,he's selfish,takes wrong decisions,and he's the main player at porto right now.He's a great player,true,but Anderson is a better bet.Considering Porto probably wouldn't sell both Anderson and Quaresma,this pair was the best choice by SAF.

ps: true,players like figo,capucho,simão,quaresma,moutinho,veloso(<-top quality),nani,ronaldo,sá pinto,paulo futre,boa morte were all formed in Sporting (some not entirely of course) and many other great players are appearing each and every year.(Most portuguese Primeira Liga teams have at least one or 2 players who was Sporting as a youngster).It's bad that they can't all stay and we're forced to sell,but it makes us fans prouds of our team and confident in its future Razz

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also,some of you guys seem to believe Anderson can play as a CM.Not really,fm-wise,he'd be a forward playmaker,maybe with some points(few) as a AML.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yovan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

they are young, they have time veron didn't. it took ronaldo 3 years to settle' seba left us after 3years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cristiano was a very good player in his first season, did you watch his first game against Bolton (I think)? First game, not the second one or after three months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say I fully agree with mgg's statement but as far as your own goes yovan I think that there's still a way to go on that score (the part in bold) as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "The Manchester City challenge reminds me of the experience I had at Chelsea where without spending £1, we built a good team, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't recall any Chelsea team not costing them a single pound... icon_biggrin.gif

On another note, United are going to look like a Latin club in a few years time, with Ronnie, Nani and Anderson plus the Silva twins coming.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

always was a comedian bless him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is great for a quote isn't he icon_biggrin.gif

Can't pretend that I won't be glad to see him back in the Prem, even if it is with Citeh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yovan:

Cristiano was a very good player in his first season, did you watch his first game against Bolton (I think)? First game, not the second one or after three months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't say I fully agree with mgg's statement but as far as your own goes yovan I think that there's still a way to go on that score (the part in bold) as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

veron started well to be fair, i still remeber his first few games the everton game in particular, he was pure class/ i remember

scholes saying he is the new cantona.

Pique has been amazing this year for Zaragoza from what I've seen on SS. Johnny Evans is also pure class.

Being a Northern Ireland fan I can atest to the fact that he can also very ably cover at full back (he has been our first choice left back for all, bar 1, of the Euro qualifiers.

Debut for his country, against Spain, in a position he had never played before and he didn't put a foot wrong, kept Joaquin and Fernando Torres in his pocket the whole night.

If my updated FM2007 is a good future prediction, and it will be, you will romp the league next year. Nani will be FB down the right wing. Hargreaves and Anderson won't play because SAF just chooses "Let assistant pick team", and KR will be your best player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> United's initial outlay to buy the pair from Portugal is more likely to be around £15m </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha awesome

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

to the 'oooh, whatcha ya got to say about the Glazer's now then!?' brigade

If someone who you know is broke gave you £100 wouldn't you be happy, if a little suspicious? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have maintained that in their business plan there is scope for these kind of spendings.

And according to the latest deloitte football report, our turnover is £160m compared to a wage bill of £80m. Now minusing the £60m (i think this is what it is) interest payments that leaves £20m for signings this year. Assuming what we have spent this year is £50m (counting all future fees as this years expenditure), and also assuming that we will be selling about £10m of players that leaves a shortfall of £20m. Something the Glazers have said is in the kitty for spending on one off transfers (which I assume snapping up these two kids is classified as).

Not saying we should be happy with the Glazers. Far from it. More that this is how I reckon they have financed the deals so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

If someone who you know is broke gave you £100 wouldn't you be happy, if a little suspicious? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have maintained that in their business plan there is scope for these kind of spendings.

And according to the latest deloitte football report, our turnover is £160m compared to a wage bill of £80m. Now minusing the £60m (i think this is what it is) interest payments that leaves £20m for signings this year. Assuming what we have spent this year is £50m (counting all future fees as this years expenditure), and also assuming that we will be selling about £10m of players that leaves a shortfall of £20m. Something the Glazers have said is in the kitty for spending on one off transfers (which I assume snapping up these two kids is classified as).

Not saying we should be happy with the Glazers. Far from it. More that this is how I reckon they have financed the deals so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is that it is all assumption and specualtion with regards to all finances anyway.

Nobody knows for sure how they're calculating anything or how reliable the figures are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

11 Aug 2006: The Daily Mirror reports Hargreaves has emerged as "a shock £7million target". The paper says Sir Alex was impressed with the midfielder's World Cup performances.

15 Aug: Hargreaves comments for the first time in what papers describe as a "come and get me" plea. "In football, anything is possible and the transfer deadline isn't until 31 August. English teams have seen what I can offer."

16 Aug: He tells German sport magazine Bild that United have tabled a "fantastic offer". A Bayern spokesman says: "Owen is staying for the remainder of his four-year contract."

17 Aug: Roman Grill, Hargreaves' agent, says the player wants to hold talks with Bayern. "The time has come to evaluate where he is in his career," Grill says. "Owen sees [united's offer] as an excellent opportunity."

18 Aug: United go public for the first time and confirm interest in Hargreaves. "We're hopeful," Sir Alex says ahead of United's opening Premiership match. "We've been trying to negotiate with Bayern for quite a while now."

20 Aug: Hargreaves is left out of the Bayern squad as the German team win 2-1 at Bochum. General Manager Uli Hoeness says United can have the England international… for £34million.

21 Aug: Hargreaves continues to express his desire to move to United but Hoeness warns the midfielder to "keep quiet, otherwise I really will get mad and that will not be pleasant".

23 Aug: The player says he will not comment on the move any further, while Hoeness tells a local paper that Bayern have fined Hargreaves a sizable amount for his pro-United comments.

23 Aug: With just a week until the transfer deadline, Sir Alex reveals United first moved for Hargreaves before the 2006 World Cup and admits current dealings with Bayern Munich are "a nightmare".

1 Sep: The transfer deadline passes and Hargreaves remains in Germany. But there's growing speculation United will nab their man in January.

16 Sep: Owen breaks his left fibula in a match against Arminia Bielefeld.

3 Nov: Despite talk from Hargreaves and confirmation from Sir Alex that the Reds are still interested, Bayern General Manager Uli Hoeness says United's efforts are "futile". "We will not release Owen in January under any circumstances."

19 Dec: Six weeks later, Hoeness softens his stance, saying Bayern "might be prepared to think about" releasing Hargreaves if the German club find a replacement for less than the amount they would receive from United.

1 Jan 2007: The transfer window opens and all the talk is about whether United can finally lure Hargreaves to Old Trafford.

9 Jan: Reports suggest Bayern want £25m, but the player questions if it's a realistic target. "Football is a crazy world and ridiculous sums are paid," he admits.

19 Jan: Hargreaves tells BBC Sport that United have made an offer and it's one he appreciates. Sir Alex, however, says the deal has "hit a brick wall" after papers claim the German club turned down a fee of £20m.

23 Jan: Bayern manager Felix Magath says there'll be no changes to his current squad as Bayern prepare to move into the knockout stages of the Champions League.

26 Jan: Sir Alex insists United won't give up on signing Hargreaves, although he says it's unlikely the England star will arrive at Old Trafford before the summer.

28 Jan: United Chief Executive David Gill admits defeat in the race to sign Hargreaves before the January window closes. "We are interested and we have been since last summer," Gill said. "But Bayern are not willing to sell. We have to leave it at that."

29 Jan: Bayern Munich President Franz Beckenbauer also rules out a move before the end of January but says "money talks" and United have "a good chance" of securing Hargreaves at the end of the season.

2 Feb: A day after the transfer window closes, Hargreaves starts for the first time since breaking his leg almost five months ago.

20 Mar: The midfielder says he's the only England player not to have played in the Premiership and admits it's "what I want to do".

23 Mar: Bayern Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insists the German club's finances are in top shape and they wouldn't necessarily agree to a move, no matter what price is offered.

11 Apr: Franz Beckenbauer tells German television channel Premiere that if an offer of £17m-£20m is tabled, he would "seriously consider it". For the first time, there's also mention of satisfying Hargreaves' desires.

15 May: The Daily Star claim United have agreed an £18m fee for Hargreaves, but there's no official word from either party.

20 May: On German television channel DSF, Franz Beckenbauer drops a bombshell. "Owen is leaving. That was the player's wish. It's a good match and it's also a good deal financially." While it's widely assumed he's coming to the English champions, no mention of United is made.

21 May: Hargreaves tells BBC Inside Sport that he's sure "we'll hear some new information" this week. Still there's no specific mention of United, although the Bayern website claims he's "set to seal Man Utd switch".

24 May: The midfielder is spotted at United's training ground. Speculation is rife that Hargreaves is completing a medical and the deal will be done any day now.

31 May: United announce that the Reds have agreed a deal for Hargreaves, he will join on 1st July"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hargreaves IFB. I might get his shirt.

Not saying we should be happy with the Glazers. Far from it. More that this is how I reckon they have financed the deals so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't the above hypothesis actually mean we're not shifting ANY of the debt though?

If I'm reading it right, and I like to think that I am, thats what it's saying ali.

But then there were some figures from Red Football released & discussed a while back and I'm pretty sure that the assertions that could be made about our financial state basically pointed towards the same sitch, paying off or getting near to paying of most of the interest payments without making any real dent in the body of the debt itself. And that was prior to the mega-spend that we've embarked upon in the last 24 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smirky:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smirky:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This smirky guy has it right. Nobody else could get away with playing like Giggs has & not get dropped from the team. I don't care about sentimentality, Giggs shouldn't be allowed to get away with crap performances. Most of all because it makes me want ot self harm when I criticise him game after game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, the thing that bugs me the most is when he does play well how much everyone goes on about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno, Giggs has gotten the most diverse amount of opinions I've ever seen.

The journalists and his peers have basically voted him as one of the best players in the league this season. Whereas for the majority of Man Utd fans he has been useless bordering upon sometimes good.

Now I've been one of his fans this season (I'll admit he's had some ******* games such as the FA cup final) as I believe at times he has been one of our best creative sources in the team. A lot of what he's tried has failed but he's also came up with a huge number of assists (wheres the last stats roundup) that have been crucial to our success.

One of the best cases of this was the Roma game. A couple of people who went to the match came back saying Giggs was utter ********, losing the ball all the time. Yet he set up 3/4 of our goals that evening, at least two of them with inch perfect balls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The number of times he insists on flicking a ball behind him/around a corner, without looking is stagering for someone of his ability. The number of times i shout FFS GIGGS!! in a match has trippled since christmas.

Im not arguing he cannot deliver inch perfect balls, but as a small example, how many corners did he take in the final. 3, maybe? I dont know exactly but all of them were utter gash. We have Carrick on the pitch who should have taken over, but, didnt. If it was Ronaldo consistantly wasting opportunities to get the ball in the box the commentators would have been straight in to make a comment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love this guy icon_biggrin.gif I swear he is not an alias account of mine icon_biggrin.gif Pretty much word for word my opinion on the whole Giggs situation.

Saw that this morning & thought the same thing Taz.

Can only assume that it was because the figures that Deloitte have been using for that report are related to the 2005/6 season and that for some reason related to that particular period our figures didn't fit into that bracket in their calculations or they just weren't available for scrutiny at that time.

I'd assume that if it is a timing issue then the results published next year will have us in there like a shot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Giggs can offer us a lot as he showed in the first half of the season. i just think its a simple as him not having the legs to play everygame anymore and with our new signings he wont have to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much spot on there Taz.

Sadly for me, he'll benefit a lot by not having to play Internationals anymore.

Add in the fact that the only real options as a replacement winger were Park who was injured for most of the season or Richardson who shouldn't be wearing the shirt. Giggs was being relied upon far more than he should have been as a result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Giggs can offer us a lot as he showed in the first half of the season. i just think its a simple as him not having the legs to play everygame anymore and with our new signings he wont have to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed with this, first half of the season Giggs was top notch. The lack of a good bench/injuries meant he was probably involved in alot more of the matches than he should of been. In fairness, even a few of the younger first team regulars looked a bit burnt out in the last few games of the season - Scholes naerly always looked sharp though icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

i dont know why you try and bring me down from my natural high mark icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's unnatural, and it make me suspicious icon_mad.gif

Do you seriously believe that the wage bill is the only expenditure in a business the size of manchester united?

What date are those figures regarding?

this month is so blatantly karma for the horrific may we endured two years ago (although admittedly someone cocked up with the cup final). just need Richardson to be released before midnight to cap it off splendidly.

awards in half an hour chaps!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Just one nomination for best non-Man Utd user hopefully?

token lovable Leeds fan? (L) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's with the oxymoron?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

If I'm reading it right, and I like to think that I am, thats what it's saying ali.

But then there were some figures from Red Football released & discussed a while back and I'm pretty sure that the assertions that could be made about our financial state basically pointed towards the same sitch, paying off or getting near to paying of most of the interest payments without making any real dent in the body of the debt itself. And that was prior to the mega-spend that we've embarked upon in the last 24 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That first line's an Ocean's Eleven quote isn't it?

But when it comes down to it, the huge debt situation actually makes me less bothered about us splashing all this cash around. It's all much of a muchness, 'pissing in the ocean' if you like - if we're going to crash and burn financially anyway we might as well have fun along the way icon14.gif

Archived