The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favourite and funniest moments in football was the look on Anelka's face after he found out that his 'goal' in the 99 semi replay had been ruled out for offside. The fact that he'd been celebrating with the Arsenal fans for a good 3 minutes made it fecking hilarious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I still think we should look at David Nugent as well tbh :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The guy sitting next to me at the Roma game was very keen for us to sign him when I was talking to him about potential signings at HT. I've only seen one or two Preston games so haven't formulated enough of an opinion on him to say whether or not he has got the potential to play for us.

• Administrators

If you're after a striker it surprises me there's been no talk of you competing with Chelsea for Claudio Pizarro. It appears we've got him done, but he's 29, a proven goalscorer in Germany and at CL level, and a free transfer who likely won't demand a massive wage. 29 is a useful age for a role striker, one who won't start as first choice but who can still make a large impact over the season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

The guy sitting next to me at the Roma game was very keen for us to sign him when I was talking to him about potential signings at HT. I've only seen one or two Preston games so haven't formulated enough of an opinion on him to say whether or not he has got the potential to play for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obviously SO difficult to judge how anyone would make the step up from Championship to Premiership level, but I lived with a Preston fan for a while and saw quite a bit of him, and he's really, really class. Strong enough to hold the ball up and get his head on things, but quick too and good with the ball at his feet. Decent finisher to boot. His link up play could be better, but he's still young as well, and who knows what he'd pick up playing and training with the likes of Scholes and Ole? A mooted price for Everton was around about £5 million, and I just think it's worth a punt on a guy who clearly has raw talent to be harnassed, and also would fully accept being part of a rotation policy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

Someone like Ruud? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean around 25-28.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

The guy sitting next to me at the Roma game was very keen for us to sign him when I was talking to him about potential signings at HT. I've only seen one or two Preston games so haven't formulated enough of an opinion on him to say whether or not he has got the potential to play for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's obviously SO difficult to judge how anyone would make the step up from Championship to Premiership level, but I lived with a Preston fan for a while and saw quite a bit of him, and he's really, really class. Strong enough to hold the ball up and get his head on things, but quick too and good with the ball at his feet. Decent finisher to boot. His link up play could be better, but he's still young as well, and who knows what he'd pick up playing and training with the likes of Scholes and Ole? A mooted price for Everton was around about £5 million, and I just think it's worth a punt on a guy who clearly has raw talent to be harnassed, and also would fully accept being part of a rotation policy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like you said, it's difficult to gauge these things, but from what you've seen has he got the potential to become a player whose standard as a striker striker and, I suppose more importantly given what we need in the squad, a goalscorer who can get goals now and will be better than Smithy in the future?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Such a big thing has been made of our team spirit this season, i can't understand why people would be willing to take such a huge risk in disrupting all that. The guy is a known troublemaker, and at a club like us he's not going to be the star, or play every game, which is only going to make things worse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Signing Ruud back would be the greatest day of my life. Ruud>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

Like you said, it's difficult to gauge these things, but from what you've seen has he got the potential to become a player whose standard as a striker striker and, I suppose more importantly given what we need in the squad, a goalscorer who can get goals now and will be better than Smithy in the future? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's got the potential certainly, although he's never been prolific I don't think. But Smithy is actually a good comparison, except that Nugent's much faster and takes on players directly. And is less blonde.

It's immaterial talking about it though, because we won't look at him and he'll go to Everton, where I reckon he'll do really well with Johnson.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Want to know why mark is getting away with the Giggs bashing if I am honest. I get told off for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's expected from me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Want to know why mark is getting away with the Giggs bashing if I am honest. I get told off for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfectly just aswell. If it was anyone else he would have been dropped long ago.

RvN is a detestable, selfish, arrogant, lazy deadweight whose departure has been a major factor in our on field renaissance and the obvious improvement in team spirit. He was capable of two things. Standing on the halfway line, hands on hips, moaning at other players and goal poaching.

and to think people moan about Anelka...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

It's expected from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, it's like Park hate from James. Largely unwarrented, sporadic and random, and essentially rooted in some deep-seated xenophobic racism.

One of my favourite and funniest moments in football was the look on Anelka's face after he found out that his 'goal' in the 99 semi replay had been ruled out for offside. The fact that he'd been celebrating with the Arsenal fans for a good 3 minutes made it fecking hilarious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:***)

haha that was f'in hilarious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

Ruud > Anelka tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At throwing a strop?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I hate park because he's rubbish not cos he's a dog eater.

there'd be no park love if he was a spotty oik from gorton who'd just broken through the ranks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no, then you'd hate him for being a working class pleb.

I was in Leamington Spa the other day, or 'Royal Leamington' as it also seems to be called...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

It's expected from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, it's like Park hate from James. Largely unwarrented, sporadic and random, and essentially rooted in some deep-seated xenophobic racism. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really am withdrawing my vote this time icon_mad.gif

This talk of Afonso Alves... how much would he actually cost? He's at Heerenveen, so realistically would he actually be that much to prize away from them? I am aware he's set a new goalscoring record for the club, but surely he wont be that much more than the fee we'd be reported to be offering for Anelka?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

there'd be no park love if he was a spotty oik from gorton who'd just broken through the ranks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Park's ability to be in the right place at the right time makes him a decent player and one we can rely on to fill in for anyone.

He also has a great mentality on the pitch, always running about, chasing almost everything and never giving up. The United way.

Park > *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Park > * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wouldnt go that far.

Park or Ronaldo on the wing? which would you rather?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibLibertine:

I think Park's ability to be in the right place at the right time makes him a decent player and one we can rely on to fill in for anyone.

He also has a great mentality on the pitch, always running about, chasing almost everything and never giving up. The United way.

Park > * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs... I think we'd have done better in our final run in, in regard to cup competions if Park had been around to challenge Giggs. Giggs dip in form surely had to be something to do with him tiring massively towards the end of the season.

sorry but this 'always running about' rubbish is just shorthand for 'oooh isn't that little chinese lad busy'. Racist.

Richardson is 'always running about'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calling anyone asian looking chinese. racist icon_wink.gif

Nah, in and counted for this year. And even if you're around next year you'll still have forgotten by then icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have forgotten if they were being done again next week icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoldenSpike:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibLibertine:

Park > * </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs... I think we'd have done better in our final run in, in regard to cup competions if Park had been around to challenge Giggs. Giggs dip in form surely had to be something to do with him tiring massively towards the end of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More to do with him not looking arsed & generally being crap.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Sorry folks, but I'm with James on the Park rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye. Decent squad player, nothing more.

I do think there is a tendency in here to defend players either because they're "cult", or they used to be great, or even both, rather than looking at how much they're contributing on the pitch in the here and now.

Add to that this thing of labelling criticism "hate", and it's getting harder to have a reasonable debate about players.

A goal down at Anfield. 15 minutes to go. Park on the bench. Would you really expect him to come on and make any difference at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, but only because i'd be hauling that useless welsh **** Giggs off and anyone (bar Keiran) would be an improvement.

A goal down at Anfield. 15 minutes to go. Park on the bench. Would you really expect him to come on and make any difference at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

O'Shea? Look what happened there.

Oh & has nobody else read that the Anderson transfer is going to be looked into? Cos when he went to Porto some company bought 75% of him. So they need to establish he isn't owned by a 3rd party.

Oh & has nobody else read that the Anderson transfer is going to be looked into? Cos when he went to Porto some company bought 75% of him. So they need to establish he isn't owned by a 3rd party. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question was would you expect him to, not is it outside the realms of possibility that he would.

Park's a dicent reserve player for us. He runs his arse off chasing for the ball and has played well when asked of this season. He's a good player that may need time, but as a first teamer - I dont think i'd start him ahead of our other front line now, but it's nice to know he's there if it all goes lils up.

Oh & has nobody else read that the Anderson transfer is going to be looked into? Cos when he went to Porto some company bought 75% of him. So they need to establish he isn't owned by a 3rd party. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The question was would you expect him to, not is it outside the realms of possibility that he would. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A goal down at Anfield I wouldn't expect anyone to make a difference in the last 15 minutes except maybe Scholes/Ronaldo/Rooney. Anyone else wouldn't have that killer pass/move in them. At least Park wouldn't stand tere hands on hips after his lastest flick went straight to the opposition.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoldenSpike:

This talk of Afonso Alves... how much would he actually cost? He's at Heerenveen, so realistically would he actually be that much to prize away from them? I am aware he's set a new goalscoring record for the club, but surely he wont be that much more than the fee we'd be reported to be offering for Anelka? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His value will never be higher so they're sorta holding out for €20m odd and will probably get it. Impulse buys, he's not worth it.

and there's no Ruud argument because Matt's boycotting the thread. I could stand in for him if you want.

Archived