The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Another "Next" Ronaldo Linked

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Several top European sides are in the hunt for Hungarian starlet Roland Varga, according to his agent.

The 17-year-old MTK Budapest striker, who has been likened to Cristiano Ronaldo, has been linked in with moves to several sides, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson (pictured) rumoured to be considering an approach.

But while his agent, Nandor Bognar, admits the player would be interested in such a move, he has denied the English champions have made contact.

"We'd be happy if Manchester United wanted to sign him, but they haven't shown interest in Roland so far," he told obudaisport.hu.

However, Bognar said he has had trials with a string of top clubs, and wants to prove himself outside of youth teams.

"He's just come home from Tottenham Hotspur and before this he had a trial with Scottish side Hearts, English team Reading and Spanish side Espanyol.

"He had to prove his abilities among older players because - I hope I don't seem to be too stuck-up - he 'outgrew' the football of his age group."

He added: "So far, we haven't received any detailed offers." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Air Force Ones:

I was thinking in Euros, 17mill is about 30 Euros so that seems a fair price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's currently about 1.47 Euro's to the poind. I'll let you do the maths to figure out just how wrong you are there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

nah, i think Lee was about to shoot, he was certainly about to get into the area so it was a case of acting then and there or probably letting him shoot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know we've done this one before, but i'm with Alex. If i was the chasing player there, i'd have been happy for Lee to shoot from that range under pressure, and he couldn't wait any longer at the rate he was being caught.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

the real reason for Anderson's signing becomes clear...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted 'one or two' of his players may be getting too old.

Manchester United have signed midfielders Owen Hargreaves, 26, and Anderson, 19, as well as winger Nani, 20.

Those signings have led to speculation that the careers of veterans Ryan Giggs, 33, and Paul Scholes, 32, could be coming to an end, and Ferguson admits he may have to make a difficult decision soon.

"It's never easy breaking up a team, but you have to look at the long term," he told the News of the World.

"When you're at a club for 20 years, it's impossible to keep the same team. You have to face the horrible prospect that one or two of your players are going to get too old.

"I've had this with several players over the years."

However, he knows it could take time for Anderson and Nani to adapt and mature, and says he is building a side for the future.

"Putting the current team together has been a process of rebuilding. When we signed Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney, we were thinking about the future, not just the present.

"There are times when you have to take the hit and be patient when it comes to the younger lads.

"It doesn't always come off and occasionally you have to wait, because they don't have the consistency, but what you hope they do is bring you hope and a dream.

"I'm confident now."

Meanwhile, Anderson says he is able to play in several positions - but is happiest at left-back.

"I like being in the middle behind the striker, but I can play in different systems - it all depends on the coach's plans," he told the News of the World.

"But my favourite position is left-back in a 4-4-2 formation, the position of Roberto Carlos, and I've already played there for Brazil."

And he says he is 'working to become the best player in the world'.

"I was considered the best player in the world at Under 17 level and now I want to be the best at Under 20.

"Who knows what could happen afterwards? I could be the best when I arrive to the senior Brazil team." </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif \o/

Left backs ftw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Who do you think has been the Player of 2007 so far?

Fifa poll

Vote for Park on the poll on the right hand side.

He's killing Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi, Drogba and Ze Roberto. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done that. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

I was at that game United v Newcastle when Ole got sent off. I've got some photos of it, I was on the row 1 of the South Stand, I'll upload them later if I can be bothered.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newcastle photos

I also found this photo when looking for the Newcastle ones, Monaco away (Stade Louis II) which my Dad went to in 98.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion318:

No way is anderson a left back...they meant AML </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah AML.. "the position of Roberto Carlos" icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Gabby'll be gone soon Saha :*(

Is it me or has there been a real influx of ***** in the last week or so? We're starting to resemble the Liverpool thread for christ's sake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a) There's an awfully long way to go before we're at that level

b) Let's hope it was just for half term.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NSteelez:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion318:

No way is anderson a left back...they meant AML </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah AML.. "the position of Roberto Carlos" icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't trust me ask PMLF he'll confirm that anderson has never played as a left-back for brazil.

That quote from the paper is probably just made up tbh

But if you want to try him at left back be my guest, easy open corridor for the opposition icon_wink.gif and even when he's there he can't defend proper (but neither can roberto carlos so maybe that's the point icon_biggrin.gif)

Is it me, or does it feel we’re mugs in the transfer market?

If rumours are true, both Madrid and Barca want Gabby. So, we’ve said to both ‘We’ll accept 5 million and he can decide’. Surely it’d be better to stick him on the football equivalent of ebay, see which of the two blinks 1st and run away with pots of cash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United are set to offer a contract to irish wonderkid Shay Brady, tipped to be the next Wayne Rooney. The 16-year old is already in the first team at St Patrick's in the Irish League, and United are prepared to sign him on a £5,000-a-week deal in January when he is 17. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't put too much faith in that rumour. No one aged 16, or called Shay Brady has played for St Pat's first team, and they don't even play in the Irish league (which is the Northern Irish league), but rather the League of Ireland. Excellent bit of reporting that. I also haven't even heard of him playing in the U-21 league here so he's not exactly made it already, though a Pat's fan on foot.ie might be more help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BlacKouT:

Ole is out for at least 5 weeks now. Had surgery on his knee again on Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>testimonial then retire tbh. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Surely it’d be better to stick him on the football equivalent of ebay, see which of the two blinks 1st and run away with pots of cash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was on that earlier, did this search.

Came back with this

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

True but how much could we realisitically get for him? £7-8 million? If we pushed it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To save time, what I posted about a week ago on the Heinze value issue. Haven't changed my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

How much did Lerner get Aston Villa for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

£65 million I believe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

True but how much could we realisitically get for him? £7-8 million? If we pushed it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if we say £7m, you're talking about losing 30% of his value.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

So if we say £7m, you're talking about losing 30% of his value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but it's all relative old man. If we sold him for £300k when his value is £600k we would be losing 50% of his value.

Selling him for £5 million seem fine. He isn't getting any younger, there aren't any ill feelings & he has spent time out through injury/form. I could understand if we wanted to keep him & teams were trying to coax him away but that's not the case.

£5m for a player who seemingly wants to leave, who the club aren't desperate to keep, who cost £6.9m when he was three years younger, who has had major injury worries and who, iirc, is nearing that stage in his contract where he can buy himself out for probably less than £5m = decentish business i suppose.

not that we shouldn't be trying to screw more money out of the spanish clubs like they would with us ofc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

So if we say £7m, you're talking about losing 30% of his value. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but it's all relative old man. If we sold him for £300k when his value is £600k we would be losing 50% of his value.

Selling him for £5 million seem fine. He isn't getting any younger, there aren't any ill feelings & he has spent time out through injury/form. I could understand if we wanted to keep him & teams were trying to coax him away but that's not the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the problem though, there's at least a perception that we undervalue a lot of our outgoing transfers. So it's not a one off loss of £2m (which i'd still be worried about even if that was the case), but the potential cumulative effect of a number of such cases.

Incidentally, i don't see what the downside is of trying to get similar value on ougoing transfers as we seem to have to pay on incoming ones?

Gabby going clearly going to upset a lot of people, so let's have a bit of United Thread nostalgia. Which sale / departure of a United player caused you the most grief?

I include the sale / departure options to allow for people like Le Roi and Keane, who weren't exactly transfered out of the club. Feel free to put down one or both.

For the sale side for me, it just has to be Stam. I still to this day see no rhyme nor reason in it, it was totally out of the blue and he'd been such a cult hero for me for three years. The fact that it was fairly cut price (considering what we'd paid for him and the levels he'd come on) rubbed salt into the wounds, as did our defensive displays during the next couple of months. Sad loss. Honorable mentions to Hughes, Cole, Ruud, Beckham, and shockingly, Veron.

Departure HAS to be Eric obviously. It would have been Robson but by that time it was a pure sentimentality thing rather than based on his ability. With Cantona, we lost both a cult hero and arguably our best player. The Keane situation is somewhat similar to Robson imho.

Everyone else to say Ruud, apart from Nick who'll say Jones.

Why did that make me picture T!mbo as the stalker/fan from Alan Partridge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thats just made me picture Heinze running away shouting "No way you big *******! You're a mentalist"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Wtf is BOTU? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Battle of the Users.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Gabby going clearly going to upset a lot of people, so let's have a bit of United Thread nostalgia. Which sale / departure of a United player caused you the most grief?

I include the sale / departure options to allow for people like Le Roi and Keane, who weren't exactly transfered out of the club. Feel free to put down one or both.

For the sale side for me, it just has to be Stam. I still to this day see no rhyme nor reason in it, it was totally out of the blue and he'd been such a cult hero for me for three years. The fact that it was fairly cut price (considering what we'd paid for him and the levels he'd come on) rubbed salt into the wounds, as did our defensive displays during the next couple of months. Sad loss. Honorable mentions to Hughes, Cole, Ruud, Beckham, and shockingly, Veron.

Departure HAS to be Eric obviously. It would have been Robson but by that time it was a pure sentimentality thing rather than based on his ability. With Cantona, we lost both a cult hero and arguably our best player. The Keane situation is somewhat similar to Robson imho.

Everyone else to say Ruud, apart from Nick who'll say Jones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been able to follow United closely only for about 3 seasons (the last premiership winning season i only managed to catch glimpses of it). So until 3 seasons ago i was never able to watch the players and have favourite players or so. I missed on Cantona completely due to not having internet until 2000 and not being able to find out anything about United (try to understand my shock when i found out that the team i supported since 1995 was actually a dominant force in the league and i only found out that United won the treble in 2000 despite watching the CL final icon_biggrin.gif).

So as a result the only departure that really made me grieve was Ruud.

Keane... although obviously horrible due to him being a legend it got to a point where i felt it was necessary for him to leave so his departure didn't affect me that much. What affected me was the way he left, not the leave itself.

So yeah, Ruud for me. (though probably Cantona would have been the 1st. when watching videos of Cantona i regret not being able to watch United during those years).

Everyone else to say Ruud, apart from Nick who'll say Jones. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although i'd say Cantona for the pure emotion of him going and the way it happened, looking back with hindsight he went at exactly the right time. Given his (relatively speaking) slightly disappointing season, it was so indicative of the man that he knew when to bow out, so that the memory of his great performances wasn't tarnished by any years of mediocrity as usually happens.

So on the basis that losing your first love hurts the most, Steve Coppell having to retire due to a knee injury in his late 20's. I was young enough that i didn't realise that players didn't always just get better, regardless of how long it took, and he was my first footballing hero.

I agree that Stams departure was one of the hardest to understand. Also a cult hero for myself, was my favourite player at the time and still try to keep up with how he's doing.

The fact that the money we got for him was quite poor and Lazio were bastards for not paying it also adds to the dissapointment. If he had been sold for £20m+ then I could kind of understand why he was sold.

Though we have Vidic now who seems a similar defender to Stam. Hopefully he won't bring out any books or whatever.

Archived