The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Oh, and Gordon Strachan. Luckily, leeds were off our radar at that point, so who he went to didn't add to the pain of him leaving.

Honourable mentions for Sparky going to Barca, Wilkins to Milan (why break up what was the england midfield ffs?), and McGrath and Whiteside going to the pub.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RSB:

Future England Captain John Curtis icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To give him his full title.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NSteelez:

I'd accept that he (Roberto Carlos) played a wing back type role, but not attacking midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He did for Inter, it's why he left for Madrid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NSteelez:

I'd accept that he (Roberto Carlos) played a wing back type role, but not attacking midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He did for Inter, it's why he left for Madrid.

i was f**king devastated when beckham left - nearly in tears. i personally thought he handled himself really well (apart from bootgate) and always got the impression he was crushed to be leaving, especially at the lap of honour after winning the title.

i think a large part of it was he was the first 'fergie's fledgeling' to leave, and it just felt really strange as i still had old posters on my wall from when the likes of him, scholes and the nevilles were breaking through. i guess it kind of symbolised growing up, with the players of my youth moving on.

honourable mentions to keane, yorke, stam and cantona too.

i will be most crushed when fergie and giggs leave - those two will be really strange.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Sparky for me. Gutted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which time?

The day Cantona left was just so surreal and it didnt really sink in until the first game afterwards.

But for me it was Kanchelskis, easily our best player in the 04/05 season (and my favourite player at the time) , jut gutted (partly due to the fact I had spent about £10 to have his name & number on the back of my shirt about 3 months ago.).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Sparky for me. Gutted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When he went to Barca, or the next time ? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Phil Gartside, the Bolton Wanderers chairman, has revealed Manchester United have no interest in signing Nicolas Anelka.

The France striker, who arrived at the Reebok Stadium in an £8million deal last summer, admitted over the weekend that he “could not say no†to a move to Old Trafford.

But Gartside insists the forward is not for sale and admits there is no chance of the move taking place anyway - because David Gill, the United chief executive, has told him they have no interest in signing the player.

“David Gill has confirmed to me that Manchester United has no interest in Nicolas Anelka," Gartside told the official Bolton website. “Sammy Lee is looking to build a squad for next season and we absolutely have no interest in selling any of our better players. Nicolas, of course, is one such player.â€

Anelka failed to make the France squad for the World Cup last summer but his performances for Wanderers earned him a recall to the international fold and he scored in the 2-0 victory over the Ukraine on Saturday.

The 28-year-old already has a host of clubs on his CV including Paris St Germain, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Manchester City and Fenerbahce.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kanchelskis in '95 was pretty gutting, was my favourite player around that time and it was (to a young'un without his ear to the ground anyway) a bit unexpected. Sparky going was pretty rubbish as well.

Sharpey going was a wrench as he was my absolute favourite player from the moment he broke through really, but it was very much on the cards so not quite as gutting. Leeds though ffs icon_frown.gif

Eric in '97 and Schmikes in '99 were both big shocks, although at least with big Pete we got to say goodbye over a few months and he went out on the ultimate high.

Seba going to Chelsea was probably more upsetting than Becks going to Madrid that summer for me - the latter was expected and i'd grown pretty tired of the whole Beckham circus. hard to see the first of the class of '92 leaving but even at the time i was certain it was for the best. Seba i thought was just showing signs of settling in and i was looking forward to a Keane-Veron-Scholes-Giggs-Solskjaer-RvN front six on a permanent basis the following season. was a bit unexpected as well, after him returning for pre-season and Fergie saying he wouldn't be going anywhere.

Sad to see both Nicky Butt and Phil Nev go even though it was for their own good - great servants. Ruud going was horrible but obvious from around February so at least there was time to get used to it.

last but not least, Jonah ofc icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude0007:

park is falling behind in the fifa poll icon_frown.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

but i cut 6% of the vote by votting 8-10 times icon_cool.gif

come on vote for park lots of times </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not unless the link gets posted again. icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Alilaw - when you were working for KPMG where did you live and where were your offices based? I'm going to be working on canary wharf and need a cool place to live and alot of my options have been exhausted by price etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lived in Clapham and my offices were in Canary Wharf. But it's a bit of a misnomer - as I said to theis, I only spent about 15 days in the office and was working at clients' sites all the rest of the time, so I needed somewhere with decent transport links. If money's tight you could do worse than look in Wandsworth, which is a bit cheaper and just a 5-10 minute bus ride from Clapham Junction. Clapham as an area is very very young professional, there's all sorts going on and if I lived in London again I'd definately look there first.

And the day John O'Shea leaves Old Trafford will be a sad one, matched only in terms of emotion by the sheer ecstasy on the day Kieran Richardson leaves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

No mentions of Kleberson? For shame. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always thought Kleb could've been amazy. Stupid bloody shoulder. Still can't recall a game when he was actually bad, just always crocked and struggling to get into an awesome midfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

The day Cantona left was just so surreal and it didnt really sink in until the first game afterwards.

But for me it was Kanchelskis, easily our best player in the 04/05 season (and my favourite player at the time) , jut gutted (partly due to the fact I had spent about £10 to have his name & number on the back of my shirt about 3 months ago.). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll assume you mean 94/95 there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

For all gartside's talk of Anelka "going nowhere", rumour is they're looking at getting Cisse in as a replacement, possibly on loan, in case he buggers off to a CL team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're trying to get Cisse on the cheap though, which I can't really see the scousers going for given their stated stance towards Marseilles. I'm pretty sure he'll stay there tbh.

Mark Viduka has agreed in principle to sign for Newcastle though icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

But for me it was Kanchelskis, easily our best player in the 04/05 season (and my favourite player at the time) , jut gutted (partly due to the fact I had spent about £10 to have his name & number on the back of my shirt about 3 months ago.). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll assume you mean 94/95 there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

04/05 season was pretty dire tbf

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

For all gartside's talk of Anelka "going nowhere", rumour is they're looking at getting Cisse in as a replacement, possibly on loan, in case he buggers off to a CL team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're trying to get Cisse on the cheap though, which I can't really see the scousers going for given their stated stance towards Marseilles. I'm pretty sure he'll stay there tbh.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They want him on loan, and he wants to leave France either for Spain or to come back to England, according to rumours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

For the sale side for me, it just has to be Stam. I still to this day see no rhyme nor reason in it, it was totally out of the blue and he'd been such a cult hero for me for three years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't Jaap fail a drug test shortly later anyway? One of several Dutch players found with nandrolone in their system?

Ruud and Beckham for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

I'll assume you mean 94/95 there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They want him on loan, and he wants to leave France either for Spain or to come back to England, according to rumours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc Liverpool have basically said to Marseilles (who also want him on loan) that they need to pay up for him, and that he's not going to be 'lent' for another year. So I can't see why they'd accept a loan offer from Bolton but not from Marseilles, especially because Bolton could theoretically be seen as a rival to the scouse.

Archived