The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems the lad isnt happy with lack of support from the club and who can blame him. The press wanted him out and could well get their way.

Although i imagine Fergie will talk to him and he will be here next season but god help us if he isnt. How many years will it take us to replace him?

It's only in spanish for now.. but phil translated for me and told me what it said:

"Llega al Real Madrid tras una etapa triunfal en Manchester. Con cientos de goles a sus espaldas, Ruud Van Nistelrooy se convierte en el primer fichaje de la ’era Capello’. ‘Van The Man’ llega al Bernabéu para hacer lo que mejor sabe, marcar goles.

"

(then it just has a huge biography of him)

This gem from Fergie btw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Alan Smith should be back by the end of August. He is a player we intend to convert back to centre-forward after a spell in the midfield last season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know whether to laugh or cry with the old sod these days

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Smith 'could face Fulham'

Alan Smith could be fit in time for the start of the new season, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

The 25-year-old striker, who plied his trade as a midfielder last season, suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle against Liverpool in February.

Despite initial fears that Smith could miss up to a year of action, he took part in a full training session yesterday just 158 days after the horrific injury, and may now be fit to face Fulham on August 20.

Sir Alex told Sky Sports News: "He trained yesterday and looking at the way he performed, I would not discount him being ready for the start of the season. He was terrific."

The United boss feels that Smith's tremendous mental strength is the reason behind his swift recovery.

"I think it's all to do with his own personality," explained Sir Alex. "When he got injured, he was so philosophical about it. He just accepted it, whereas other players have worried and fretted.

"Sometimes, that can delay your comeback. It's just a mental thing. "Alan's so strong there. No-one's amazed. A bit surprised, but not amazed. With his personality we always knew he wouldn't just accept the situation."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alan Smith ifb \o/

a little bit of a bright point in a summer of grabage atm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

United say the clubs haven't agreed a fee over Ruud. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

/o\

what's going on ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Madrid trying to force United's hand.

Same pathetic gutter tactics they always use when buying players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, United have allowed him to travel for a medical, but have not agreed a fee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats as maybe, but the fact that he's going there, and we havent agreed a fee means theres pressure on both sides to sort something out.

Madrid basically trying to get us to accept a lower deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if getting 5m less means buying a midfielder then do it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

yeh where the feck is my season ticket you useless, usless buch of inbred ***** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too rub salt into your wounds , but I received mine on Thursday icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Depends how you define 'we' though doesn't it? I'd like to think 'we' in terms of everyone on here knows the score, but 'we' in terms of the United fanbase as a whole is a completely different matter.

Any contribution the fans make towards the Glazers ****ing off will be minimal but that's no reason to bury heads in the sand and refuse to accept just how much damage the Glazers are doing to the club. The gimps think they've been accepted ffs - they need to know they haven't been, even if the net result is only a few more million quid in the transfer kitty or (arf) a bit more honesty with regards to our financial situation. As much pressure needs to be put on them as possible, or we're going to go on for the forseeable future with the Glazers believing achieving the bare minimum is a fantastic success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, what will the knowledge do? Just exactly how will knowing what they're doing/will do overthrow them?

Look at how many people here renewed/bought season tickets and others who go frequently. Just based on that alone (even if they do know and the jury is DEFINATELY out on Martin icon_biggrin.gif ) they're still paying. So get set for years of financial instability and lies. We're all contributing to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

roffle, I left a friendly early, so what?

PJ makes ONE game a year and it's always Fulham.

JCL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that is what's known in the trade as 'a bite'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have been playing worse game by game ever since the Fulham game.

5-1

3-0

2-1

1-0

0-1

what's next? Losing 1-2, 0-3 and 1-5? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive never looked that way before i see what you mean mate but if we lose to reading then i will be worryed.

Jonny without an 'h' for a start icon_biggrin.gif

But it is amazing me how this incident has been totally missed by everyone. Like I said if it was me I wouldn't have complained but he definitely kicked a bottle into the crowd & he should be punished for it.

You cannot get away with kicking/throwing anything into the crowd. Yes he was getting stick & abuse but that doesn't give him the right to do what he did.

What is annoying me is how everywhere is saying he 'alledgedly' kicked a bottle into the crowd. Nevermind alledgedly, he ****ing did it & he did it on purpose.

I could list loads of incidents where players have been punished for doing similar but it would be a waste of time.

He is clearly going to get away with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I'd like to know how much of Rooney's current mini-malaise can be traced back to the rush to get him fit for the world cup.

You know, when all the ingerland knuckle draggers argued that it was nothing to do with us and have no future impact on united. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i don't think there was any need to single me out icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Carrick disappointed me, as did JOS, (how the feck did he score that ? Must find a replay somewhere, MUTV ? Not read the rest of the fred yet though)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me to be disappointed I have to have expected something in the first place and I can't say that about O'Shea icon_biggrin.gif

Recovered from the stairs yet?

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you see where the mistake is in threatening aforementioned qualification by playing a formation that has proven to be sh*te on numerous occasions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah the bale quote was from the sunday mirror so i wouldnt read too much into it. but if it is true then its good that hes being loaned back to them for a season. no point in rushing it through to leave him in the reserves.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Why on earth would Mourinho change his style just because he joined us? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the squad he'd inherit?

he's arrogant, but not stupid? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he only needs one signing in a true defensive midfielder to play the way he's always played.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

just seen this on redissue:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/117005/soccer_hooligans/

wtf.

on an unrelated note, also reports on there about a lot of ejections yesterday... anyone notice anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from the film eurotrip i think

as for the ejections didn't see owt in streetie upper although the irish a few rows in forn twere happily smoking throughtout the game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian, Sunday Mirror)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Running Total: 4

Predicted Final Total

Irish - 170

James07? - 112

bling - 102

pjburrage 99

WSR - 95

thei 92

alilaw - 89

14AlanSmithifb 85

BBB - 79

gonch19 - 78

Bagpuss 77

Pickles - 74

Nick OGS20 - 68

Maverick 64

Gregg Carter 59

Jimlad - 56

SLO_Fila 43

? - 15

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jules needs to pick again, Pickles already had 74.

Nick, as long as it's reputable source (ie daily national newspaper or similar, we should be OK).

Caveats are intended to cut out crap like Tribalfootball or random message board WUMs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Two posts in my way there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the "Quote" button is for. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to mix it up.

And it was a clear swipe from Mourinho. Everyone in the english speaking world knows this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Manchester United’s nine-month pursuit of Owen Hargreaves is finally approaching a successful conclusion, with the Barclays Premiership champions close to striking a deal in the region of £18 million with Bayern Munich for the England midfield player.

Fears were expressed by United officials this week that Bayern’s demand for £21 million may prove prohibitive, but negotiations are understood to have progressed well over the past few days. The clubs hope to reach an agreement that will allow Hargreaves to sign after the end of the Bundesliga campaign a week tomorrow, with a view to completing the transfer on July 1.

Personal terms will not be a problem, with Hargreaves having already approved the offer put to him through a third party last summer, so the only stumbling block is over the structure of the deal, with United keen for a portion of the transfer fee to be based on future achievements, as they have done in deals to sign Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick in recent years.

Hargreaves is envisaged as the first of at least three new signings by Sir Alex Ferguson this summer. The United manager is also keen to sign a new centre forward. Samuel Eto’o, of Barcelona, has emerged as an ambitious leading target, along with Dimitar Berbatov, of Tottenham Hotspur, but in both cases United would almost certainly be required to break their £30 million record outlay.

Fernando Torres, the young captain of Atlético Madrid, may be available for a smaller fee than last summer, when he was a target, but he is no longer thought to be a top priority, leaving Michael Owen as an intriguing possibility should Ferguson be willing to trigger a £9 million release clause in the player’s contract with Newcastle United.

Ferguson is also eager to rejuvenate his squad by signing a left winger as a long-term replacement for Ryan Giggs, whom the manager prefers to use in a more central position these days. Nani, a highly-rated youngster at Sporting Lisbon, is a candidate, but United’s interest in the 20-year-old may not be as strong as it had been. Carlos Queiroz, Ferguson’s assistant, told a Portuguese newspaper Nani is “not a short-term priority†and that no talks have taken place with Sporting.

A similar rationale applies to Gareth Bale, Southampton’s young left back, and, while either he or Nani could move to Old Trafford this summer, Ferguson is understood to be reluctant to commit himself to spending a large portion of his budget on two unproven players. Youthful reinforcements are already lined up with the return of several players from loan deals. Ben Foster is expected to challenge Edwin van der Sar for the goalkeeper’s jersey after his spell at Watford and Gerard Piqué, the young Spanish defender, has also been assured he will be in the first-team squad – most probably at the expense of Mikaël Silvestre – after impressing during a season with Real Zaragoza.

Players such as Foster and Pique will be eager to stake their claims on United’s preseason tour of Asia, but the four-match trip is becoming problematic. The club have been told they are “not welcome†to visit Kuala Lumpur for the final match of the tour against a Malaysia XI on July 26 because of a clash with the Asian Cup, being held in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam from July 7 to 29.

United remain hopeful the visit to Malaysia can proceed as planned, but are wary of attracting adverse publicity in a “good-will†visit. The organiser, Pro-Events, maintains the visit will go ahead and is trying to obtain permission from the FA of Malaysia, emphasising the importance of United’s “platinum†partnership with Tourism Malaysia. David Gill, the United chief executive, has said he is “sad and disappointed†by the controversy, adding: “Malaysia is our second home. We are proud to come and celebrate Malaysia’s 50 years of independence and it’s a once-in-a-lifetime celebration.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from the times online

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

nick icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no-one seems to know icon_frown.gif

i'll keep asking. ring the club imo

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'd love that on my phone icon_frown.gif

what are we all doing tomorrow night then chaps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to ask my brother to lend me ten thousand pounds. Stuff like that puts the trivial nature of football starkly into context.

Note that I only consider football trivial when we don't win. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely there are easier avoidance methods? Seems a bit extreme. Can't you just clean the bathroom or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The extremity of the method reflects the sheer horror of what could happen icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived