The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crilly:

"Age is not a worry for me. I don't think I look 33 and I certainly don't feel 33, so you never know what might happen in the future."

Ole haha icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just had a nice 2 year rest icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

I really don't get the shock about £10.3 million for a 30 year old player with (some) injury problems, that wants to leave the club and has had a massive row with the manager?

Fantastic player, shame to see him go, but any hopes you had for £15 million were always adventurous, I would have expected £12 million or so, so only £1.7 million away.

Thing is I really can't think of any striker's you can compare him too - Shevvy totally different in that he's probably rated higher, AC didn't want/have to sell him, he got on well with club and manager, Chelsea prices etc, erm AJ a fair bit younger etc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Shevchenko openly said he wanted out on account of his English speaking wife?

The Chelsea prices obviously have an effect... but in a world where Andy Johnson's £8.5 million and Emile Heskey's £5.5 million, you'd have though you'd be looking at £14 million minimum for Ruud.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Apart from Miller who was free anyway and possibly Evra (though that remains to be seen), all of the signings since 2003 have been good imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jury still out on Smith as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for me really, he's been better than I expected, though maybe that says more about my expectations of him than anything else icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't call him a failure in anyway though.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

come to think of it thats not such a bad team, considering Vidic, Heinze, Carrick, Giggs, Ole and Rossi are "back ups".. and Hargs on the way icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, then we lose Scholes and Rooney for three games icon_frown.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Manchester United 2006/07 Season Leading Goalscorers

Wayne Rooney – 2

Cristiano Ronaldo – 1

Louis Saha – 1

Own Goals – 1

Manchester United 2006/07 Season Leading Assisters

Wes Brown – 1

Ryan Giggs – 1

Wayne Rooney – 1

Louis Saha – 1

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where the frig were you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif I Said before that I would try and get down if the weather was ok, looked like it might lash it down , so decided not to and went into the ground. Although it is my mission to get to the wall a couple of times at least this season.

VDS - 6 - very little to do, look fairly composes

Brown - 6 - Had some good moments going forward, and look solid, but really should have been penalised for that handball.

Silvestre - 5 - Could also have given a penalty away for a mistimed challenge first half, and got beaten a couple of times.

Ferdinand - 6 - One mistake in the calamity 6 yard box scrap but otherwise did well.

Evra - 5 - Looked good going forward, but I would worry for him up against a decent RW.

Ronaldo - 7 - Good cross for Park to hit the woodwork, always looked a threat - still needs to improve his end product.

Fletcher - 7 - Took his goal superbly, and generally showed really good energy - I've criticised him before but did well.

O'Shea - 5 - Passing was poor, held his position OK, but should have done more.

Park - 6 - I do like him, but I worry this is becoming a typical display - at times causes problem's, but can't produce the cutting pass/finish, and at other times fading out of the game.

Giggs - 6 - Kept possession well, did ok - but not his ideal position - didn't look like a great threat.

Saha - 7 - Fantastic finish - made some good runs, first touch not always great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Manchester doesn't like posh people, feck off to Warwick or somewhere </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, maybe I will then if you're going to be a **** icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

Plant the seed of doubt and pessimism and watch it grow icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coincidentally, that's what Keyser said to his missus at the moment of conception icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinLFC:

west ham > man utd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oxygen >>>> you

I actually used to be a glory hunting United fan when I was a nipper. But when I got about 9 or 10 I started following my family and went with Cov. I obviously never went to a game but I remember watching them on TV beat Gothenburg 4-2 in a quality game and then getting tonked by Barca 4-0 with Gary Walsh (?) in goal. Also remember watching them draw 1-1 with Forest, that was when I jumped ship to the obviously much more attractive Coventry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

"They carried on to the degree where they actually thought they should have a say in the running of the football club."

jesus wept, talk about ****sing on the fans eh Alex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"I urge every one to become members of Shareholders United, it is important for Fans to have a say in their club"

Sir Alex Ferguson, 2004

That used to be on the frontpage of the SU site icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you think about that Rich? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This in no way alters my stance on Ferguson.

Plus I really don't care about the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

One United pack finally turned up this morning.

Bottle opener the best thing ever \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine too. But yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Good luck Ali icon14.gif

What's the job? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally was a sponsorship executive for a publishing company, although they've since also interviewed me for their conference production team. Which would be a better role, but for less money. Still, hopefully I'll have options, which'd be nice...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea what either of those jobs would entail, but hope you get one of them anyway icon_biggrin.gif

I take it you've not heard yet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, well I won't bore you with details - suffice to say the perk of either job would be going to the PFA awards at the end of the season. Have another interview for the second role later today, so will most likely find out tomorrow.

Cheers for your support. Because of it, I'm now backing you all the way in Botu. Wakey will be gutted.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

" Hi, I'm Wilfred Brimley, and I have diabetes. It hurts me to pee, and it causes me to be short with my family. I can't sleep at night. The other day, I stubbed my toe and took it out on the dog. And two weeks ago, I ran out of vanilla ice cream and struck my wife. Then I find out my wife's been dead for six years. Who the hell did I hit? "

fffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Possibly my favourite family guy scene.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously, yeah it would the sweetest of sweet victories, but the build-up, the games themeselves and the horror scenario of getting knocked-out by them - especially in the semi - is simply too much of a risk, and too much sh*t to go through for me to want it to happen.

Chelsea or Arsenal fine. But not the scousers. I'd rather see them dumped out in the next round ta.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

keep your nerves, ffs. We won't finish third, it doesn't matter how much of a stride the skaus get in, they're too far behind. ditto arsenal.

Will we win the league? Probably not, but the next few months are going to be interesting. A mark of our credentials will be when we visit Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. I do think we'll do okay, i'm predicting 7 points from those 3 and if we're going to stuff up, history teaches us it will be against the likes of Watford, Sheff Utd and Reading because he thinks he can piddle with the team at vital parts of the season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's borderline giddy from you. icon_biggrin.gif

if we pick up 7 points from those three aways, we'll win the league without question.

• 2 weeks later...

£42 to see Fulham, jesus.

Oh well \o/, keef will there be room in your tidy little motor to pick me up? good luck parking around Craven Cottage too. I may just get the train will be easier than a lift.

Happy birthday Fergie icon_cool.gif

Keep Gabby ffs, else Silvestre will be closer to the first XI.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

whatever you damn well want morgs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny how he seems to be far less decisive since he lost the question mark.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might cry if Mascherano goes to Liverpool.

ALthough I don't get their resoning for pursuing him anyway, as surely he'd be in direct competion with omfgMOMOifb\o/\o/, and he's never coming out on top in that match up. Not against the greatest player in the world today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh and to people talking about UEFA coming up with a replay option after the free kick, its never going to happen. Whilst I could see UEFA being blind to the actions of the French Police and maybe even to safety concerns over the Lens stadium, the talks today are to discuss Lille's actions after the goal. Whilst the freekick itself will be brought up not even Platini will demand a replay.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

\o/'ing a horrible injury like that is out of order. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly like he's dead is it? And I don't see you getting on your moral high horse when people make comments along the lines of 'I hope Richardson breaks both his legs' etc.

So, yeah, I think I'll stick to my own idea of what's 'out of order' rather than be dictated to, cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick said he's just seen him put in an ambulance, but \o/ obviously.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Jonah feature on SSN at the minute icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is it, an in depth look at players who never quite made it?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Louis Saha's future at Manchester United is in serious jeopardy after it emerged that Sir Alex Ferguson has finally grown tired of the striker's injury problems.

Saha missed Tuesday's victory against Sheffield United at Old Trafford with hamstring trouble and has only managed to start 25 games all season.

And it is understood that United manager Ferguson is increasingly irritated at Saha's failure to play through pain and has not ruled out selling him this summer if he gets a decent offer.

The situation came to a head this week when Saha trained at the weekend and appeared as though he may be fit for selection against Neil Warnock's team on Tuesday night.

But Ferguson was disappointed to hear Saha say on Monday that his hamstring was sore again and that he didn't feel he could play.

With United battling for honours on three fronts, the fixture schedule ahead of Ferguson's players is daunting and as such the Scot needs as many bodies available as possible.

Sources close to Saha last night suggested that the player may be fit for the second leg of the Champions League semi-final against Milan in 13 days, but not before.

Publically Ferguson has been supportive of French international Saha but privately he is now becoming unsure about whether he has the mental fortitude required to perform consistently at the very highest level of the game.

Asked about Saha's condition after Tuesday's game, Ferguson's reply was telling.

"As regards Saha, I just don't know," he said gruffly.

During his three years at United, Saha has only started 66 games, a poor return on the £12m United paid Fulham in January 2004. Wayne Rooney, for example, has started 125 games in a shorter space of time while Cristiano Ronaldo has been in the starting line-up on 145 occasions.

Saha has been troubled by knee problems on three occasions and has undergone surgery, but it has been the niggles and strains that have annoyed Ferguson this season.

Ferguson knows that he needs a reliable through-the-middle striker to act as a focal point of United's attack and given that Saha has failed to take his opportunity to become the long-term replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy the manager will try to buy one and offload Saha in the summer.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It goes on to link us w/ Ediru Gudjohnsen, Owen & Berbatov.

The usual raft of quotes to support this kind of 'story' but frankly I'm all in favour of it. You simply can't count on Saha - ever. the fact he is constantly out with 'niggles' is the most infuriating thing of all. If it had been successive bad injuries, then maybe he's unlucky, but muscle strains rather than tears indicate someone who 1) is not up to it physcially and 2) lacks the mental strength to suck it up and play on occasion. Obviously you don't expect supermen, but missing around a month now with a sore hamstring is not good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

haven't seen this, a bit of a dampener, but confirming what i suspected at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ji-sung Park is set to spend at least four months on the sidelines following an operation on his knee.

The South Korea international sustained the injury during the last minute of Manchester United's 4-1 victory over Blackburn at the end of March and, although the injury was not thought to be serious at first, tests later revealed he required surgery.

And, having had the operation in the United States under the highly-regarded Dr Richard Steadman, it now appears that he will need to wait until August before reassessment.

"Ji-sung Park has had a complicated cartilage operation that required an expert in his field," said a club spokesman.

"He will be out for the remainder of the season and we will assess the situation again in August."

The injury means Park will not be able to play a part in his country's Asia Cup games in July.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact they're going to re-assess it means an August return is not a formailty either icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Apparently according to Robbie Slater we really need to strengthen that defence that's had 4 team of the year players in it and has still managed to cope reasonably well with tonnes of injuries :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>had to laugh at that when I heard it. Defence needs strengthening, whilst prsiaing vds who's been dodgy the last 2 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived