The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Stolen from RI, spot on.

Not a massive fan of the lad and if he wants to go to Real Madrid then there’s the door sunshine but…….

It’s always somebody else’s fault isn’t it? Ronaldo gets Rooney sent off and is now single headedly responsible for England crashing out of the World Cup. What utter boll*cks.

Ronaldo claims he didn’t try to get Rooney sent off, claiming he was highlighting the foul. Automatically he’s branded a liar, but is their any evidence to suggest otherwise?

What’s the universal tactic for trying to get an oppositional player booked or sent off? Running towards the ref brandishing the imaginary card. Guilty or not guilty?

Did Ronaldo feign injury a la Thierry Henry? Guilty or not guilty? Talking of which, notice how Carvalho has come out smelling of roses in all this? Didn’t he ‘cheat’ by rolling around in mock agony? He seemed to make a remarkably quick recovery to say he’d just been ‘stamped’ in the balls.

This whole witch hunt stems from the immediate desperate, spiteful BBC coverage.

Alan Shearer: ’Rooney should stick one on him on the first day of training’. Really Alan? This coming from a man not adverse to kicking a fellow professional in the head. But that’s not cheating is it Alan? That’s playing the game the 'English’ way.

Ian ‘was that a wink?’ Wright. Jesus H. Christ – that’ll stand up in court won’t it Ian? Ronaldo winks 20 times an hour during a game. And what if he is pleased that Rooney’s gone? I’m sorry but at that moment in time Rooney is not a United team mate – he’s the main threat from a team that is now down to 10 men in a World Cup Quarter Final. Heinze would’ve done the same. He’s a United player but he loves his country more than United. He certainly loves his country more than England. I’m amazed that England fans always seem to think they’ve got a monopoly on patriotism and ‘putting your country first’.

Incidentally, this is the same Ian Wright who said at half time: ‘I fear for Wayne in that isolated role. I can see him getting frustrated and into trouble in the second half’. Spot on Einstein.

So now we’ve got the tabloids running a hate campaign against a young player who took turns tormenting both (world class) England full backs and had the balls to step up to score the winning penalty in a World Cup Quarter Final.

As England plodded through, the only thing you could get out of some fans was ‘It’s the World Cup, the performance is irrelevant, the result is everything. If Portugal did set out to ‘get ‘Rooney than it says as much about Rooney as it does about them. The Portuguese didn’t invent winding up vulnerable players – it’s the oldest trick in the book.

Whenever England lose there’s always got to be a scapegoat. Ronaldo fits the bill perfectly: young, cocky, flash and a United player to boot. Perfect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has some points, but there's some real ******** in there as well.

Firstly, Shearer. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> "I think Wayne Rooney could go back to the Manchester United training ground and stick one on Ronaldo" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think people need to learn the difference between the word "could", which talks about what you think may happen, and "should", which approves of it. I've seen that quoted as "should" so many times now, which is simply not what he said.

As for blaming Carvalho, that's worse than blaming Ronaldo. Obviously, he was fouling Rooney first, but to try to get from there to saying he was faking it and didn't get his ******** trodden on is completely disingenuous. The fact that Rooney trod on him there is not in dispute, the only question is that of intent.

I'd also say, while i agree that he didn't wave the imaginary card, which he has been accused of, the idea that he was simply telling the ref it was a foul, when the foul had already been given, is ludicrous as well. Do you really think players run up to the ref to argue that a free kick should have been given when the free kick has been given? Even they're not that stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Haha. For a minute there I thought I was going mad and I'd imagined DP replying to those screenshots with a 'icon_cool.gif'. So relieved now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i saw that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Ali's already got Saha and now Mika today. Who's next for the hitlist? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just trying to make friends icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

McCormack is supposed to be a really good talent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was the standout for me from what I watched, the opposition were really bad but he played really well and scored a cracker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Jesus wept, can't sell out for Arsenal

Manchester United v Arsenal, Sunday 17 September, kick off 4pm

A small number of tickets have become available for this match and they are available to One United Members only by calling 0870 442 1999. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has that little American leprechaun acting as your owner alienated the fans that much?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question.

If we won the league and the Glazer twats came onto the pitch and held the trophy above their heads, would you cheer them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd cheer the team that wont he title, not the twats who own them

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

One in the eye for Fergie's enemies too, people mocked us going out and signing two defenders in the transfer window last year and now they're both having praised lavished on them from all of us, and are proving to be important players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

very true, but you could still make an argument that they weren't what we needed at that time.

as it is, we got them and you're right, they're looking like two of fergie's better signings in recent years and definite first-teamers atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh at the time I'm sure that we all made those arguments, but I think that he's been vindicated by them as you suggest.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldnt see this on the last page at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Vialli backs Man Utd to win title

Former Chelsea boss Gianluca Vialli has tipped Manchester United to pip the champions to the Premiership title.

Vialli says Chelsea's desire to win the Champions League could see them struggle to retain their league crown.

He told BBC Sport: "I think United are going to be slightly too strong. They look really determined to win it.

"Probably the distraction of wanting to win the Champions League will be too much for Chelsea to compete with Manchester United," Vialli added.

The two sides played out a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford on Sunday to leave United three points clear in the title race.

"I think a draw was a fair result," Vialli added. "Manchester United were better than Chelsea in the first half and Chelsea came back strong in the second half.

"I think everyone will be happy with the result. Chelsea are still in contention and Manchester United are still top so both managers will be very happy with what they saw on the pitch."

But Vialli, who spent over four years with the Blues as a player and manager, believes his former club have the better chance of going all the way in Europe.

He added: "I wouldn't be surprised to see Manchester United win the Premiership and Chelsea win the Champions League.

"I think both clubs, both managers and their players would settle for this.

"Chelsea have a squad big enough with so many quality players that Jose Mourinho can rotate the team depending on whether they are playing in the Premiership or Europe, the opposition or the physical condition of his players and their squad is big enough to try to win both competitions.

"But the competition in the Premiership is stronger. Manchester United are firmly determined to win the title after a few years and Chelsea are more focused on being the best in Europe."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luca knows the score icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

United fail with fresh bid

Norwegian outfit Haugesund have confirmed that talks with Manchester United over starlet Havard Nordtveit have come to an end without a deal being agreed.

Sir Alex Ferguson had an initial bid for the 16-year-old rejected last month but they had hoped to strike a deal for the central defender - who has also attracted interest from Tottenham and Bordeaux.

"Haugesund and Manchester United have been in negotiations with each other about a possible transfer for Havard Nordtveit," said a Haugesund statement.

"The respective clubs have not come to an agreement, and Manchester United have told us that they will wait and see how Havard's future progresses.

"Both clubs are open for negotiations at a later stage. It might be of interest to send Havard on a few trials to Manchester as well."

Nordtveit, who impressed United during an initial trial spell, insists he is more than happy to still be at Haugesund.

"I'm flattered by the interest from such a club as Manchester United, and my week in Manchester was magnificent," he said.

"However, it's no problem for me at all to stay in Haugesund.

"I feel privileged that I, at such a young age, get the chance to develop in Haugesund's first team squad under a great coach like Rune Skarsfjord. I will work hard, so I can play and develop as much I can in Haugesund." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Sharpey ice-skating on ITV NOW

plus holly willoughby's chest making a bid for freedom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let it out I say. Nothing should be enslaved against it's will...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I agree tbf, there's a shop near me that sells them at 20p each and I have 5 here icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

20p?! bloody hell

Sorry where is this article pulled from?

I swear the Ceefax, Teletext and this article have all, and god knows how they've done it, managed to misrepresent the figures and the implications of this report.

Idiots.

And did anyone see Gill's quotes about wishing he could implement a more bonus related wage structure at the club? Martin O'Neill made similar comments about Villa today as well actually. Clearly more likely at Villa Park than at our place.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

It wouldn't be ****ing awesome. It'd be rubbish. I want nothing but pain for other English clubs in Europe, ESPECIALLY Liverpool (who btw are pretty much definately through now).

In fact the only reason I wouldn't mind Arsenal going through is I reckon they'd do Liverpool over 2 legs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs i hope all english clubs go out bar us. english teams are the strongest in the competition this year by quite a distance in my eyes. Real are having a shambles of a year, bayern arent the force they were, neither are milan, inter are never great in europe, lyon have gone off the boil a little in the french league, barca are in dis-array, valencia are hit and miss, dont rate porto.

english clubs clearly favourites. just hope its united.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

park ifb

i loved it when he was warming up and started clapping to the fans as we sung his name on saturday, such a prince :***) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He knows his song then? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep icon_cool.gif

wonder what he thinks of it though :/

in fairness there was a guy at my school from south korea and he ate dogs so i dont think its too bad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

Bugger

the youth cups on telly tomorrow not when i'm bloody working

what times KO??

might try and sneak a half shift or is it a two legger anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky had the programme starting at 7.30 so I can only assume its a 7.45 k.o. since I figure they'll do a "how the teams got there bit". No idea if its one or two legs but since they didn't make a point of stating it I'm going for the former.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Surely there's a case for dosing a buffoon like Rio full of pain killers and such like, shoving him out and sod the long term damage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it icon14.gif

i want us to win it today. think if chelsea win today they will really be up for wed and do us there. not exactly thrilled at the prospect of last day needing a result against west ham again ta. would much rather we play some beautiful football and relegate them whilst whistling im forever blowing bubbles knowing weve got the title sewn up.

Before people go on too much about Jose or Essien being ungracious, we do have to remember that both Fergie and Giggs have made comments after losing titles to the effect that we were still the best team.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is everyone doing on this most wonderful of days.

Was quite nice waking up & remembering what happened the night before (in a good way for a change) icon_biggrin.gif

Gonna go get my hair cut & hopefully pick my phone up if it's fixed.

Today is a good day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

I'm actually with ry-dawg on this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I accept your apology.

x </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So long as you promise to continue being an insufferable little pain in the arse, i'll promise to be an annoying welsh tw*t. Deal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the pretence that you two have a choice in the matter icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I must have missed that then icon_smile.gif

Is Evans 4th then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, they're both coming back.

Here's the Pique story.

Here's the Evans story.

With those two coming back I guess Brown's going to leave.

Archived