The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Hargreaves is a great player. He's not a spectacular player, but then, thats not what his game is about.

He's great at breaking up plays and snubbing out attacks before they begin. He's a very good reader of the game and if we're really after an out and out defensive midfielder as opposed to a box to box strong tackling midfielder like Keane of old, then he'd certainly be a good choice.

I'd rather Mascherano, but he'd be a good alternative.

If we got either of them and Carrick, it'd be interesting to see how the midfield and attack would work. Carrick tends to like to sit deep and pass the ball around, he's not so much of a tackling defensive midfielder, more a deep playmaker.

With Carrick and Mascherano/Hargreaves as the midfield duo, we'd need Ruud to drop deep a little, into the hole, which really suits his game and it'd also allow the wingers to get forward more, again which is also something that suits their game.

For me, that would be something that would add a real positivity to our game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

so you are looking for a young viera sort of player. ivory coast had a leggy centre mid didnt they?

but then any players who did even half decent at teh WC will have had their values doubled.

maybe an african nation that didnt get to the finals? nigeria, cameroon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah you get my jist. doesnt have to be african tbh. but just not someone expected or that has been good (not amazing) at the WC so they wont cost loads and loads and could turn out as a gem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone like, say, Eric Djemba-Djemba? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

is there another sissoko-type player anywhere at the moment. i mean obviously not sissoko himself, but tall, strong on the ball, relatively unhyped about and very cheap, aswell as being able to perform well and consistently in the prem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so to answer your question, no

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

wow, wasn't expecting that comeback. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I aim to please Jim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just like ya mam, though she charges more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Mart knows only too well what happens to those who reveal information from where I've heard this... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You get virtual wrist-slaps amongst an invasion of even more mongier Manc geeks?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Liverpool will probably win the league this year the way it's going icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have already prepared for that possiblity icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what method are you using?

I'm planning to stick my head in the flymo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Gives Jones a run out ffs.

And get Ole on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im sure they said ole has a slight knock and won't play? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh

icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Erm, why are you playing Silvestre and O'Shea as full backs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, uh... well, I, um...

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Ronaldo put a few decent crosses in yesterday tbh. Shame all our players in the box were playing like cripples. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, Nick made a point that Rio was bollocking him yet WGT wasn't prepared to throw his head at the ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm :/

Yeah we really should at least have had a decent couple of efforts on target from Ronnie's corners

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Hold up. Martin is using MY money to buy premium beer on a day that I'm not going to be at the wall? icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Funniest thing ever. Why can't you alter ego Cottager be this funny?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

3 points on Saturday>>>>winning the carling cup.

fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm greedy, I want both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

still rather the three points

didn't see the game, i'll assume it was another generic-couldn't gaf-performance we get from our rotational players these days.

• 2 weeks later...

noone hates him you *******, we're better without him SO far though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jules does.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Just talking about Nick regarding the away leg, given our appalling away record in Europe in the last three years, what kind of score would people be satisified with? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

score draw would do me fine.

bahahahaha icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahha icon_biggrin.gif

I thought he was going to strip ffs. God, videos like that make me realise how many complete idiots live in this country icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

If Ronaldo & Rooney start I expect us to hit 4. watford don't have Foster in net & they sold Young to Villa.

So a slightly unsettled backline with the new keeper (Lee?) & us going forthe throat should guarantee us some goals.

Setting off now. Martin be at the wall for half 6. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go me icon14.gif

Can we keep Larsson please? The guy looks 25 never mind 35 or whatever he is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Rooney and Ronnie scored 5 CL goals in 40 starts between them

Not good enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the turn of the century who, bar Ruud, has had a good goal-scoring record in Europe for us though?

Obviously the two of them not scoring is an issue because they're marked out as match winners but its not like anyone else has really stepped up. And our recent form in Europe has hardly been imperious, but injuries, form & a lack of experience individually or combined in relation to a lot of our players in the last few years has hampered our performances.

At present I think next season will see a lot more improvement in our European performances overall.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

haha, DJ*2, someone you lot hated so much says Ronaldo will stay and he's praised. Viana says Ronaldo should go to Spain and he's the new hate figure.

To quote you lot when you want to belittle someone:

Bless </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did they remove your brain when they removed the blue badge :/

a) i don't think anyone ever hated Djembax2, we just (entirely understandably) thought he was nowhere near good enough for us. we're hardly falling over ourselves to kiss his feet upon these latest comments either, just a bit of banter in jest (possibly hard for a Leeds fan to understand humour icon_frown.gif).

b) Viana the new hate figure icon_biggrin.gif 'bless' indeed. he's clearly got a chip on his shoulder about english football, and he's sticking his nose in where it's not wanted and trying to unsettle one of our star players. but hell, let's applaud that lest Fran finds any 'hate' offensive icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and that completely ignores the fact that the advice is seriously dodgy anyway.

using the barca/real are bigger than us reason is pretty narrow minded. the difference in stature between the three clubs is so insignificant that it's not really a consideration in choosing one over the others.

the only other argument people have really come up with for him to move is the weather. fine. but that's quite easily offset by the stability at united in comparison to real (especially) and barca. the fact that any move to spain would carry an inherent risk - in spite of the similarities to his own culture - of having to adjust and settle in a new league/team/country that is totally unnecessary given he's already settled and one of the best players in europe where is.

he's the first player picked for portugal atm, so there's no need to move on that front.

it's not like barca or real can guarantee a trophies any more than than we can.

for all he's been fffffffffffb for us of late, he's still won the square root of **** all for us, so the "new challenge" argument is out.

so yeah, still waiting for a logical reason that he should really go tbh. i'm not sure why every portuguese bloke and his dog is insisting he should.

oh christ, you are joking?

You're fecking lethal in a small car, a saab would have us all shatting ourselves icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look this car is way to underpowered compared to what i used to drive.

A bigger car also means more room in it for Euro road trips or at least trips to the airport, no more jamming 4 sets of luggage in a small boot like this summer.

There is no need to panick just yet it woule be at least another year before i changed car tbh. Next years birthday would be a nice target woul;d of had my bonus by then to use as a deposit etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Them that let me use there membership to apply for Lille away, can I do the same for Roma away please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye go on then.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lpx88:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by titchuk:

Thought he might have given Cathcart 5 minutes.

Is he any good? Never seen him play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doubt anyone has seen him play yet..he was drafted in from the reserves/Youth team icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And nobody ever watches them, do they ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes the reserve team captain and at least me and Nick have seen him play.

I like him. Looked good at reserve level since making his debut at 16.

Wouldnt bother me to give him his debut on Tuesday rather than play a non defender in defence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he's youth team captain tbf. Kieran Lee is reserve skipper, and i don't understand why he's not in the first team squad atm really.

everyone seems to be forgetting that Fergie has said Nev is back for Tuesday anyway. back four of Nev-Wes-Gaby-Paddy isn't too shabby for just one game.

delighted about today, didn't feel like a semi really, no tension there at all even when they equalised, and the dire watford fans didn't help the atmosphere. it's sinking in now that we're in the first final at the new wembley though icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Final details

Wednesday, 28 March 2007.

The FA can confirm that this year's Final of The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON will be played at the new Wembley Stadium on Saturday 19 May.

We can also announce that The FA Carlsberg Trophy and The FA Carlsberg Vase Finals will be held at Wembley Stadium on 12 and 13 May (respectively) at a capped capacity as part of the build up to the official opening on 19 May.

Ticket details for all FA Finals will be announced in due course, however please note that tickets for The FA Cup, The FA Trophy and The FA Vase Finals cannot be purchased directly from The FA.

The vast majority of tickets will be allocated to the two competing Finalists; for security reasons, there will not be a neutral section for The Final of any FA Competition. Once we provide a club with their allocation, it is entirely at the club's discretion how they re-allocate and sell these tickets to their supporters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fingers crossed then.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

mark g and alilaw smell funny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. I can smell myself thanks to my regular shaped nose.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Having just got to the end though, I am slightly angered by Martin Tyler's complete lack of excitement at any of the key points he's commentating on. Ronnie's goal against Fulham, Scholesy's belter against Villa and, strangest of all, his utter monotony and lack of emotion when watching us come from 2 down against Everton to lead 3-2 and effectively win the championship.

I used to think he was a really good commentator, but that's just shyte really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I made a similar comment/note after the 4-2 Everton game ... if you listen to him there he actually sounds depressed we've come back to win. In the same game he was screaming rather loudly for both Everton goals iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The idea is that, by the time Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs have begun to wane, their places will be taken by Anderson and Nani respectively, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, be sure to let us know when Giggs starts to wane, we'll have to watch out for that.

Archived