The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

More chance of us signing Steven Gerrard than Torres tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes and i'd have gerrard over torres any day matt so icon14.gificon_razz.gif

Don't think this has been posted yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bayern Munich's chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has revealed that Ruud van Nistelrooy's intention is to sign for the German champions.

Bayern have long courted the unsettled Manchester United striker, who has been on the periphery at Old Trafford ever since being axed for February's Carling Cup final.

Now Rummenigge has revealed that the Dutchman, too, is hankering after a switch to Die Bundesliga and the Allianz Arena club.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has so far refused to discount the 30-year-old from his plans for the forthcoming season but it appears as though van Nistelrooy has decided that his future lies away from The Red Devils.

"The player wants to join us, that is already known," Rummenigge told Bild Am Sonntag.

"We will settle the issue in due course - there is no reason to hurry.

"We have to talk with the player and, of course, Manchester United as well."

General manager Uli Hoeness has revealed that Bayern are active on a number of fronts as they bid to bolster their squad ahead of the new campaign.

The German Rekordmeister have already signed Lukas Podolski and Daniel van Buyten but are still hoping to add at least one more big-name signing.

"There are some things in the pipeline," revealed Hoeness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

As a follow up to the Vieira thing, word is that if Juve only go down to Serie B then the majority of their stars will be retained by the club and only sent out on year long loans, in the hope that they'd bounce back up to Serie A and bring them all back.

Is this something any of you would want with any Juve players? Personally, the idea of someone coming to play their football at Old Trafford just for a year until his 'real club' is back where it belongs really sickens me. What sort of motivation would they have at all? I'd only accept it if (as seems likely) we don't make any significant moves and are left severely depleted in midfield. But even then it's only a stopgap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, if we're talking main signings. If we were talking someone like Vieira on a year-long loan in addition to other signings already sorted out, I'd not be as concerned but it does worry me that we seem to be basing our entire transfer strategy on the scandal in Italy :/

Anyway, talk is Juve go to Serie B with a 15/20 point deduction, so there's a very real chance they don't get instant promotion and there'll be more permanent than loan deals.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Well there's always been a school of thought, that I've never subscribed too, that said Ruud's style of play brought him goals galore but to the detriment of the rest of the side and the team as a whole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it seems almost indisputably true to me. great goal scorer as he is, it's pretty hard to deny that he's overly selfish, lazy, self centered, and has come across as rather oportunistic of late.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Ahh I didnt realise that was the case for the keepers, thats the first time thats been brought in. Ah well, clean sheets > shots saved. VDS.

Nice to hear Lee is doing so well up north, shame he wont have any CL experince with your lot angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Clean sheets really arent better, especially if a team has no shots on goal icon_biggrin.gif If they have a few, then fair enough. But say, tomorrow, Fulham were to get one shot on target for VDS to save, he'd get less points than Brad did today icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Steven Hawking would be fb, he'd work out an algorithm that will allow the ball to float into the top corner of the net with every shot.

It's just getting the shot off that's the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He always seems to have all the space and time in the world too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Once Fergie is dead it'll be fine.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not for Fergie it won't be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'll be dead so wont care?

Seriously, what's the downside?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You'll be happy to know that i am goin to the Chelsea game now and i'll just have to tell her that she needs to leave on Sunday mornin icon14.gif Doubt it'll go down well but it needs to be done!

Got 3 Chelsea tickets and 6 Everton tickets this mornin as well as my 12 Benfica tickets!

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

alilaw - surely it's the quantity of changes that would rankle most if you drop points? One or two acceptable, but five? Mon the Timmeh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it's a combination of both. In the treble season we'd make five changes frequently, but that's because you could bring in 2 quality strikers, the likes of Butt and Blomqvist in midfield and Phil Neville anywhere you liked. Here the increase in the number of changes is bad because it brings you onto players who are essentially gash.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a transfer tip for Man Utd:

Buy Van der Vaart from HSV this January. I know Ferguson has been following him since he was a regular at Ajax at the age of 17. Now 6 years later, he's the only world class player in the sinking ship that's HSV.

Apart from Scholes (who's fb tbh), Man Utd has no real playmaker right? You should try getting Van der Vaart, he's good icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand why we stick Ronney on the left & let Giggs play upfront.

I can understand the 4-5-1 to some degree but when we go more attacking it should be Rooney up top & not Giggs. Especially as it means Rooney is on the left & not the right wing.

Rooney will jsut do as he is told though as he works for the team like nobody else.

• 1 month later...

Rooney's 1-1's quite good tbh? Not at a Ruud like level (but then few are), but I'd back him to score them more often than not.

Saha's are unfortunately dreadful. Which is a shame, because if they were better (and he wasn't made of glass) he'd be one of the best strikers in the business.

• 2 weeks later...

Ali so desperate for a free pint! He's got a minimum of 11 games and a maximum of 15 (if I've done my sums correctly) to get the goals you need for him to win you the bet, so all you need him to do is maintain his form and fitn...err, well never mind there's always next year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

for those wondering rossi is looking fb against inter atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since i cant watch the match a full report after its finished on how he did during the game would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Look, if Chelsea beat us in the final we'd get over it eventually, if the vermin did we wouldn't, ever.

Not a Premiership/FA Cup double would take that feeling away, you thought FIVE TIMES was bad, imagine SIX TIMES against the mancs.

NO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Mart said.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

I'd imagine that the ticket exchange service is going to come into its own next season in part because of that.

It's going to be easier to sell out cup games with the season ticket holders all having to sign up, but as has been pointed out, many will be unwilling to/unable to/not want to pay for and go to every fixture so a lot will use viagogo or increasingly act as distributors themselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ST holders next season will get these season cards for the 19 league games, but everytime we draw a team in a cup at home, could the ticket office not add the game onto the card? I don't know about the technical stuff but if this could be done, it would mean they wouldn't have to send out tickets to everyone. If this was the case, there would be less tickets on viagogo because ST holders wouldn't want to lend their unique season card to complete randomers hoping they don't damage/lose it and return it. But yeah, if they did use normal tickets, there would be hundreds of tickets on viagogo for cup games.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definitely going to be joining Manchester United, no doubt about it, cos the papers say so list

Anderson - Porto (Daily Mail)

Alfonso Alves - Heerenveen (Mirror)

Mikel Arteta - Everton (Guardian)

Gareth Bale - Southampton (Mirror)

Dimitar Berbatov - Spurs (Guardian)

Jermain Defoe - Spurs (Guardian)

Samuel Eto'o - Barca (Daily Mail)

Eidur Gudjohnsen - Barca (NOTW)

Owen Hargreaves - Bayern Munich (Times)

Klaas Jan Huntelaar - Ajax (Guardian)

Jean Makoun - Lille (L'Equipe)

Florent Malouda - Lyon (Sky Sports)

Rio Mavuba - Bordeaux (Mirror)

Benni McCarthy - Blackburn (NOTW)

Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG (Youssouf Mulumbu)

Nani - Sporting Lisbon (Guardian)

Michael Owen - Newcastle (Various + BBC)

Nathan Porritt - Middlesbrough (Times)

Franck Ribery - Marseille (Himself via Sky)

Micah Richards - Manchester City (Mirror)

Steve Sidwell - Reading (Mirror)

Carlos Tevez - West Ham (Star, Mirror)

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid (Mirror)

Mark Viduka - Middlesbrough (Super soaraway sun)

Running Total: 24

Predicted Final Total

Irish – 170

James07? – 112

bling – 102

pjburrage – 99

WSR – 95

theis – 92

alilaw – 89

Nezell – 87

14AlanSmithifb – 85

Hero of the day – 83

vanester – 82

T!mbo – 80

BBB – 79

gonch19 – 78

Bagpuss – 77

Rb – 76

Pickles – 74

julesMUFC – 71

ajw2255 – 70

Nick OGS20 – 68

Maverick – 64

davidbowie – 63

Ryno – 62

ACou2000 – 60

Gregg Carter – 59

Jimlad – 56

ericcantona7 – 55

Matt Cavanagh – 54

mark g – 52

keyser – 50

player_65 – 46

SLO_Fila – 43

Taz Devil – 41

Saha – 39

The_Fish – 37

finneys13 – 36

Master Blasta – 32

EmmYouEffSee – 29

RedBlood – 26

<STRIKE>qwerty2k – 17</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>Razor Eddie – 16</STRIKE>

<STRIKE>? – 15</STRIKE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly others elsewhere today no doubt. But Dad got the Mirror today so didnt get a chance to browse the papers in the Shop.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

We should keep Rossi at United and play him, if we don't we risk losing him to an Italian team. Why we would be interested in Anelka when we already have Rossi (especially with the "Smith Leaving" rumours) is beyond me. Plus it's unlikely to have any more money spent on the team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely the 'Smith Leaving' rumour adds to our need for another striker?

Anelka and Rossi vastly different players. As I keep saying Anelka and Saha basically very very similar, and it's just a judgement call as to whether a twattish attitude is worse than a body made of glass.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Mika has his fix of Ruud love in the La Liga thread now anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I get to annoy a whole new audience icon_cool.gif

Archived