The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

We're the most hated club in England YAS \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, just Ronaldo. Noone's really blaming Rooney.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

sergio ramos is all man tbh, so no chance of that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so was sol campbell.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Why would we need Aimar? :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to add to your growing list of non-tackling midfielders?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

And if the players we want either (A) aren't available, (B) don't want to join us or © we can't afford them, would you rather we stand still and not improve the squad in some way?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but apart from various conflicting agent-driven stories and players coming out with the usual 'I'm happy where I am' stories, we don't really know whether any of (A) - © above actually applied when it came to 'destructive' defensive midfielder.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying that he's good enough to be Maldini-esque and should start every week, but I do think he is good enough to be part of our squad. I'd rather we played him in defence than O'Shea for a start, and his experience is an asset that puts him ahead of the young guns at the moment for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markgood guy:

giggs is agreat winger. play him on the wings he will do well

play him anywhere else and .................. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked this one. I think it slipped through a wormhole from 2001.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Ups and downs since last year

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Irwin 11

Whiteside 5

Neville (G) 4

Scholes 1

Hughes 1

Cole 1

Cantona 0

Ole 0

Robson 0

McClair 0

Stam 0

Strachan 0

Johnsen 0

Keane -1

Giggs -1

Schmeichel -1

Van Nistelrooy -1

Kanchelskis -1

Silvestre -1

Beckham -2

Butt -2

Coppell -3

Cryuff -4

Bruce -5

McGrath -6

Pallister -7

Ferdinand -8

Ince -11

Heinze -13

Ronaldo -14

Sharpe -21

</pre>

What's Sharpie done to upset everyone? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

13 or so of those dropped places are because I didn't get to vote icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

I don't see this as a bad thing tbh. At least this way you will see if the kids you have in your squad are good enough. Jones being a prime example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonah's really the only youngster we've kept, and his best position is the one we're arguably best stocked in. Rossi, Bardsley, Simpson, Martin, Gibson could all arguably have staked a claim in weaker positions had they stayed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fair point, but you must have a recall option on these players surely?

• 4 weeks later...

I've not boycotted anything United related.

I just haven't bought owt yet.

Not sure if i want a new shirt just yet got plenty that still fit as it is. As for other things if i wanted a Audi i'd buy one (not that i would Audi's are ***** tbh) as for bookies i dont give a toss who they are linked with i will always use the one who gives the best odds tbh.

The thing is Jones has been playing awesome in the reservers & on loan at Nijmengen last summer. Yet he has never been given a chance in the first team.

Ferguson usually gives youngsters a trial in the first team before deciding they aren't good enough. I mean for gods sake, Chris Eagles STILL plays for us.

Unless of course it's the lad that wants to leave which shows what ambition he has & that he doesn't accept being loaned out/reserved footy all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

3 points on Saturday>>>>winning the carling cup.

fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, league takes priority over everything this year.

Bent>>>Defoe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much will Bent go for, IF Charlton were to go down? Somewhere between 6m and 12m?

Right lads, YOU have control of tonights game, how would you like it to go?

Choice 1, It's a tense as feck 0-0 with Benfica getting a penalty that is saved ofc, with a last minute winner for us.

Choice 2, It's a 3-0 win with all 3 goals in the first half hour? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly 2.

But then you knew I'd say that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mikael Silvestre has hit back at suggestions he is ready to quit Manchester United in the pursuit of first team football.

Prior to this season and the France international had always curried favour with Sir Alex Ferguson but the emergence of Patrice Evra and Nemanja Vidic as established first choices has reduced him to the periphery at Old Trafford.

Silvestre has played just once in the Premiership this year and it has been claimed he could be ready to seek pastures new in the close-season.

However, Silvestre claims the only he reason lost his place was due to injury, having fractured a metatarsal back in September, and he is firmly of the opinion that in football things can change very quickly.

"The people starting these rumours about me leaving should keep quiet," said Silvestre.

"I only lost my place in the side because of an injury to my foot but I know I can get it back.

"In football, the wheel turns fast. I just have to try and be patient.

"I signed an extension to my contract last summer and I am not the sort of person to give in." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

uh, Mickey....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BWCH:

Afternoon guys, just popping in briefly!

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how a young player called Daniel Rose is doing for you?

I've heard he's a midfielder but other than that I know nothing.

I only ask because he was signed from Bristol City, and years ago used to play for the same team as a mate of mine.

I remember last year he got hold of his phone number and called him up trying to convince us they were best mates, while Rose desperately tried to get rid of him without making it obvious :**)

(After about 10 minutes of talking)

Mate: So you've seen Rooney?

DR: Yeh, I see him about now and again and stuff...

Mate: And Giggs?

DR: Yeh Giggsy aswell.

Mate: Paul Scholes?

DR: Yep, Paul Scholes aswell.

Mate: Ronaldo?

DR: YES..

Mate: So you get complimentary tickets then mate? How about I come up to see you for a game? Champions League or something?

DR: ....

Mate: DAN?

DR: ...Yeh mate sounds cool... Anyway I've gotta go.

Mate: Okay mate, I'll just give you my numb-

*hangs up*

Never been heard from since icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

He's on loan at Oxford at the minute, was captain of the reserves prior to that and doing quite well. Made the bench for the Crewe Carling Cup game, but i can't see him making it with us. Tidy footballer but not Premiership quality really, should have a decent lower league career though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Mancini is a striker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. A winger/forward when Roma play 451 with Totti up by himself. Whenever I see players positions misstated in press releases I generally assume ignorance/something being lost in translation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

Apparently there are a couple of options with what to do with the South stand.

1. Build a cantilevered structure over the railway, not sure how feasible this is. May only be able to fit an extra 10,000 or so in doing this.

2. Build over the railway at extremely high cost when you factor in buying the houses as well. Seeing as though the north stand added 11,000 seats and the quadrants 8,000, it should take the overall attendance to 95,000.

Here are some renders that I came across of what Old Trafford could look like, scroll down the page. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those mock-ups look quite good, but a stadium design that is obviously symmetrical and complete is going to look good anyway. Its not like we're going to get anything like an "original" design and because OT has been developed gradually & any future developments have to be in keeping with the original all-seater designs in terms of overall structure.

Even if we didn't fill it every game, to have a 95,000 or so seater would be awesome & as has been said with that many potentially coming through the doors you'd think that reducing ticket prices would become a very real possibility. They should do that anyway but they won't.

I'm not construction savvy so can I just make sure that I understand what a "cantilevered stand" would entail?:

Essentially instead of moving the entire structure of the South Stand towards the residential area and over the railway line, the expanded second tier of the South Stand would be, hanging I guess, over the railway itself?

I assume there would be numerous issues over how such a structure would be reinforced so as not to collapse when full of people and the inevitable internal structures like catering facilities etc. Not to say that it couldn't be done but I guess it would be something of a headache and it would probably still uncomfortably encroach on the residential area.

If we were still a PLC and our finances were being managed responsibly I could have seen us buying the railway and a fair amount of the residences in the future as it would have been a logical step eventually assuming our success is maintained.

Another remote possibility, at least when you consider the extent to which money has been invested in the ground since the Taylor Report was drawn up & published in 1989, is to knock OT down, redevelop the entire site and "move" the ground away from the railway slightly. But then thinking about the space on the other side of the ground thats probably not viable either. Actually when I consider the massive expense involved in such a major and at the same time minor alteration to the position of the ground I can't believe I've suggested it...

Skip it. Until we can afford to buy the local residences and build over the railway line and improve transport links away from OT to cope with the 95,000 or so people its a pipe dream to expect more than we've got at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

YEAH

thanks taz, my hero.

xx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just trying to shift attention away from the fact you called Scholes old and past it icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I could swear Fergie said the same thing about Masch and Tevez about a week after they first joined West Ham. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Indeed he did, probably was asked about Tevez again and just repeated himself, as older gentlemen are prone to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but with no more than one player from any given nationality </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you want to be really picky, your english, welsh, scots and northern irish all have a UK passport icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived