The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

yes, very very much so.

could also look at scuppering alves' move to the scousers for around £10m, hes a tidy player. has sh*t hair tho, i dont like sh*t hair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CRonaldo, Giggs, Rio, Scholesy's ginger mop...

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Everyone should be jet-setting to Amsterdam. You'll get to see Mart sing and then probably be hilariously sick over a hooker, you'd be mad to miss it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the actual slogan that the dutch tourist board use?

Looks like United will do anything to sell out OT reguarly next season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have just been told by United that as a branch our allocation will be cut this season and that for us to apply for tickets we have to have a standing order for the same amount of tickets for every home premiership game. regardless of if it's a weekend or mid week, We are hoping we won't be cut back too drastically and that we will be able to sell the mid week game tickets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Branch doesn't run mid week trips so i assume never applied for tickets.

So United are making them get tickets for every game icon15.gif

Franck Ribery's agent Bruno Heiderscheid has confirmed that his client is in talks with Tottenham Hotspur about a move to the Premiership club.

He revealed that Tottenham first made their move for the Marseille winger in January but at that time the 22-yr-old wanted to focus on getting into France's World Cup squad. Ribery impressed at the tournament and Tottenham had feared that others would join the chase for his signature, but Heiderscheid insisted that only Lyon and Spurs had bid for the player.

"Franck always said he would wait until the World Cup was over," Heiderscheid told L'Equipe. "Obviously he is pleased that it has taken until the last match. But he will travel to London this week to speak with Tottenham."

"Lyon have also made a bid for the player but I think it will be impossible for them to reach an agreement with L'OM. We have spoken to their chairman [Jean-Michel Aulas] but he says Marseille would prefer to sell Franck to Spurs."

Heiderscheid revealed he had also been contacted by Manchester United but they had not returned with a bid for the player.

"I think it depends on the Ronaldo situation. But we must make a decision for Franck's future this week," he said.

Ribery's imminent departure follows the sacking of Marseille coach Jean Fernandez.

"Jean Fernandez's departure has hurt me," Ribery told Reuters in April.

"He is someone that has counted on me a lot, and for sure his departure can have consequences for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> few of the arrivals since last summer — Edwin van der Sar, Park Ji Sung, Ben Foster, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra — have stirred Old Trafford passions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harsh tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 of those were good signings as far as I'm concerned.

And 3 have stirred my passions to varying degrees

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

i still cant beleive ferguson is so blind not to see mascherano.

and also dyo reckon we're using hargreaves as our last minute option tbh? hell be relatively cheap id say and better than duschbag ffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, he's seen Mascherano. He's one of the ones coming tomorrow, it's just we've kept it quiet. It's the way the Glazers like to do business.

Or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Red_Comet:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r_wagner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Fat Santa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r_wagner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

waffle

jpshakehead.sml.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

someone really needs to get this deleted before Mika reads it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on, he's clearly a Mika alias... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is Mika?

I'm just a realistic supporter of a club that used to be the best... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the debt "magically" appearing maybe? I think we all saw that one coming.

I don;t think its too much a case of not being able to afford signings as much as its a case of some players don't want to coem to a club where you know the manager is probably only going to be there for another season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone else feel we missed out on Capello? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clearly a Mika alias icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think I'd be awake at 1pm when off Uni? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

that number 16 for spain is pretty good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, his first two goals in particular were class.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monteva:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmy Howard:

SSN have reported that Real are having a press conference at 6 with Ruud. It will be shown on Sky aswell. I wouldn't be suprised if Utd reveal Carrick the same time as Real show Ruud off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spurs announced it not United tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pfft. I'll take my crown as the one to suggest bringing in Kuszczak 2 months before we made a move then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinLFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

5 years, 1 premiership winners medal, 1 fa cup winners medal. not exactly great icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont forget the mighty league cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1/3rd of your magnificent treble :****( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gonch always so prompt with the putdowns icon_biggrin.gif

Rot off fatty.

Cristiano Ronaldo is to live a true nightmare, since the finish of the World-Cup in Germany. The house of the player, in the outskirts of Manchester, has been vandalised and the Portuguese International has received death threats through anonymous phone calls and letters.

One of Ronaldo's nieces (only 12 years old) has been attacked in the school she frequents in Jersey, after having been identified as family of the Portuguese player.

The terror climate started after Portugal-England in the World Cup, where Ronaldo was accused by the English press to have forced the expulsion of Rooney and to be a "simulator".

Guessing what would be waiting for him after the World Cup, the advanced Portuguese left clearly stated that he intended to leave Manchester United, but has been refused by Sir Alex Ferguson.

The truth is that Ronaldo does not feel the minimum conditions of security are in place to continue in England and until this time has asked for his family to remain in Portugal and not to follow him to Manchester, where he will be obliged to return to training.

twat of Ingerland ***** kthnx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Look, it's really really simple. You're own team comes first ahead of any hatred for anyone else. If you start looking for other teams results or outcomes before your own, you're no better than a bitter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone's suggesting anything else, are they?

Heh me and Carter only both selecting one player, impressive stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm older than you icon_frown.gif

Mine was mainly my childhood favourites bar Heinze.

Back when supporting them was a lot more magical and i was a lot less bitter and critical.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

Statement from Fight for United website

Friday, August 25, 2006

from https://www.fight-for-united.com/

Can all journalists, other interested parties and in particular Manchester United fans please note that the "Love United, Hate Glazer" and "Fight For United" campaigns are not connected with or affillated with, in any way, the "Manchester Education Committee" as has been suggested in several newspapers this week and also by the Sun.

The Fight For United campaign serves to publicise the opposition to the Glazer family's hostile and unwanted takeover of Manchester United and the billion dollar debt they have inflicted on our club to enable them to do this.

The Fight For United campaign remains sympathetic to the aims of any organisation that seeks to oust the Glazers from Manchester United, including the MEC. We do not however condone violence, including that inflicted on the fans by the GMP and we do not use violent tactics ourselves.

Sunday's incident involved the police being called because a group of Manchester United supporters were drinking in the bar of the same hotel that the Glazers were staying in. Drinking in hotel bars is not an illegal activity and Manchester taxpayer's money was once again used on the instructions of overseas businessmen to harrass Mancunians for no good reason.

The Glazer family are clearly reluctant to meet with Manchester United fans and we are aware that they have refused to do this even when requested to do so by the UK Minister for Sport, Richard Caborn.

Their Hominisiunctusventilophobia should not however be the concern of the Greater Manchester Police.

The Sun is owned by News International, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who wanted to own Manchester United but was prevented from doing so by the concerted efforts of the fans. There is a conspiracy theory...

-----------

Right, does anyone know what really happened? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ye dont think its best to mention it on here, but they were definitly there so I'm told

Evra's an average left back.

Silvestre's a TERRIBLE left back.

Heinze's never on the pitch for long enough so we can see whether he's good or bad.

I can pick holes in your argument too.

And btw, Clichy's shown hardly anything of the sort.

And average left backs (which Riise and Aurelio aren't) don't have CL medals icon_cool.gif Well, he had a CL medal icon_frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Team news for Celtic

"I'll make a couple of changes for Tuesday (to freshen things up)." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're screwed then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here we bloody go again.

Stop this now, young Matt. It's not good for your health. icon_wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

on the injuries point, it may be a bit of luck on our part (so far, touch wood etc), but it's long overdue imo - we've had a couple of seasons of bad luck with injuries while chelsea's key players have been virtually unscathed. chelsea have had very few injuries this season as well really (joe cole and petr cech the only real long-term absentees i can think of), so terry's implication that we might not be so lucky with injuries in the second half of the season goes for them too.

and yes, i know that they're better equipped to deal with it, but not by that much (and not by as much as in previous seasons imo) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that's the best goalkeeper in the league out for a minimum of 3 months, with the second best backup (after Steve Harper obviously) out for a number of those games as well, and their most creative player over the last 12 months out for virtually the whole season so far. I'd say that was already pretty significant.

What have we had in comparison (in terms of first XI)? Giggs out for a month-ish, which was compounded by Park also being out. Other than that, Gary Nev and Saha have missed a couple of games each, but i don't think there have been many others have there?

• 3 weeks later...

you assured us hargreaves was signing tbf, every bit as bad icon13.gif

couple of things about yesterday that i was too drunk to recall at the time:

* VDS - anyone else slightly concerned by how often he's beaten from distance, and how rarely he seems to pull of the sort of save you don't take for granted? ofc he's better than the parade of clowns we had post-schmikes, he's reliable and he rarely makes mistakes, just wondering if he lacks that something extra sometimes. i know it's been a view certain members of the press (gab marcotti in particular springs to mind) have had since his Juve days, and the struggle i had to think of a particular 'moment of the season' for him when doing the half-term report put the thought in my mind too. probably a bit harsh on him (the save from Sibierski yesterday was excellent and at a crucial point), something for people to mull over anyway

* Nev - clearly miles away from fitness yesterday, arguably at fault for both goals (stood off milner, let him cut inside and shoot for the first, and then missed a tackle to allow them to break for the second). and got forward nowhere near as much as you'd hope/expect. can't help thinking he needs this op sooner rather than later, and it seems daft to have brought him back when Wes was deputising so well. almost as if Fergie wanted to get one over on the journos reporting he was out for six weeks by bringing him back sooner than he should have.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Have we completely written off Tim Howard btw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't see him not signing for Everton permanently myself.

4-0, pretty damn happy a potential banana skin is out of the way, got the rub of the green with the penalty decisions, goal deflated them and stopped the dangerous back and forth that was going on prior to that, Clattenburg (sp?) with some stupid bookings, easy second half…and Spurs fail to beat VDS or JOS. And shockingly Sky get an MOM decision right for once, although there were good performances all over the park really. JOS clearly loving the attention post-match.

MOM: Paul Scholes – just all round quality.

2 ND: Cristiano Ronaldo – involved in a few key moments and general threat.

Honourable mentions to Carrick (ace first half), & GNev with a strong performance all round I thought, and Larsson for the same reasons.

Good pen for the first. Great head from The Vid ( > Terry). Scholesy in the right place to score after good work from Ronny & Giggsy finished well after strong hold-up play from Saha, who it was good to see back and moving quite well.

Hopefully VDS makes a quick return and that Rooney isn’t seriously hurt, since I think we’re starting to see signs of better approach play, even if it’s a tad sloppy at times still. Got to say that I’m glad he’ll be missing from the Reading FA Cup match.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

drink more grog then yah flaming gala. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but... all that's left is some butterscotch schnapps that my wife uses to make cowboys...

hmmmm...

*glug*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"The ones who need a game will get one in the UEFA charity match on Tuesday," said the boss, who mentioned Alan Smith as a player who will be given minutes to boost his match fitness. "Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic picked up injuries, they're doubtful for Tuesday." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hihi, didn't Ronaldo and Rooney pick up some "knocks" as well that will miraculously heal the 2nd day after the MASSIVE game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rio & Vidic both went down during the game but carried on.

• 1 month later...

Oh and lol @ u guys. I never blamed Wes for our shaky defence. I was merely laughing at our situation because you cannot put the blame on a guy who didn't play for 3/4 of the season and then to come in a side where NONE of the first team regulars are on the field (Rio, Neville, Vidic) or fit (Evra) or on form (Gabby and VDS).

• 4 weeks later...

Highlights of the season so far

5-1 against Fulham in the first game

Ole scoring against Charlton in his comeback game

Ole scoring the winner against Celtic

Easiest game against the scousers in years

Rooney's hattrick against Bolton, the first half hour was amazing

Taking Pompey apart in 10 minutes

Blackburn away \o/

Derby day win

Scholes' rocket against Villa

Henke

Spurs away, 4-0 and O'Shea in net

Cool

Ronaldo last minute against Fulham and the melee that followed

Going 3-0 up at Reading after 6 minutes

O'Shea in the last minute, at the Kop, SO undeserved yet so fecking sweet (doing the double over them quite sweet too)

Battering Bolton at home so easily

The atmosphere against Blackburn after going 1-0 down

fa cup semi final day

Rooney in the last minute against Milan at home

Roma at home, what a display

Everton away, best away of the season even being in their end

Winning the league at Citeh and Mourinho having his words slammed down his throat.

the guard of honour last night.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I've started revising what the reasons behind why Britain fell behind the US in terms of productivity at the end of the 19th century :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mass-production processes ftw surely?

Tbh I can barely remember anything from British economic history... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pretty much. Just doing whether it was down to increased globalization and Britain continuing to specialize in the old industries of the industrial revolution OR down to entrepenurial failure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well good luck with it bud. Our lecturer for that made it a less than desirable subject to engage with unfortunately. 20th C. Euro econ so much better tbh icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers mate, its actually British economic history from 1870-1970 although I'm going to answer two questions on pre WWI and then one on the interwar period. Mainly because I did the module last summer and completely sacked off everything after WWII icon_biggrin.gif

was quite lucky in that the tutor for it was this big loveable Argentinian guy. Used to get so worked up and vocal about all sorts of things. But completely loveable even if his English was poor to say the least.

Archived