The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Giggs does really need to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? Because he had a really bad performance tonight?

We could ship most of the side out after that performance. To single out just one player as being the reason for our defeat and to want to get rid of them as a result is just totally and utterly wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and if that was the case you'd have a point. But he's been poor for months now. another for the chop.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

They are senior players, this is what their 3rd Champions League campaign?

Hardly virgins.

Again, when we needed a performance (that wasn't against Bolton or Spurs) where the f**k were they? Giggs was appalling (no suprise), Scholes played his heart out but was let down by others, Carrick may as well stayed in Manchester and Fletcher was beyond anonymous who else was left? The defence?

And all those (bar Giggs who was worse) had a bigger responsibility than R & R?

OK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3rd Champions League campaign icon_biggrin.gif how many did Keane have before '99? ffs, if Ronaldo and Rooney are senior players then who are the junior ones? O'Shea has had more champions league campaigns than them, so has Brown, and VDS, and Giggs, and Heinze, and Scholes. It's Carrick's first but that's about it.

Giggs has been dreadful because he's knackered. He's shown what he can do for us even at his age at different points this season when he's been fit and fresh.

What we need is a fully fit Ji-Sung Park and another winger who can play regularly, with Giggs playing sporadically to conserve him. He's still a great player who can do a great job for us, just that he needs to be treated as a bench player now and not a starter.

We need a new winger, but getting rid of Giggs isn't the answer. It's not as if we'd get any money for the likes of him or Van Der Sar. So ok let's say we get rid of them, then the team is:

Kuzsczak

O'Shea

Brown

Vidic

Heinze

Ronaldo

Scholes

Fletcher

Carrick

Richardson

Rooney

I'm sure we'd have a much better chance with that line up.

Giggs isn't good enough to be first choice anymore, but if you get rid of him you've got someone even worse, not exactly a solution is it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Giggs has been dreadful because he's knackered. He's shown what he can do for us even at his age at different points this season when he's been fit and fresh.

What we need is a fully fit Ji-Sung Park and another winger who can play regularly, with Giggs playing sporadically to conserve him. He's still a great player who can do a great job for us, just that he needs to be treated as a bench player now and not a starter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been Giggs' biggest critic in here, and i agree with Gregg. He's done enough to show he can ge a good backup and impact player next season. He just shouldn't be in the first XI.

Dont understand why you guys are now attacking half of your players.

Now, I am not a ManU fan (infact I am AC Milan fan) but these kind of games come atleast once a year (for any club)where you are totally outplayed and your players look like a bunch of cr@p......but than next couple of games everything comes in order and you will see that they will all preform great.....including VDS and Giggs and everyone you just attacked

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gaga_4_parma:

SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME! YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*English Press in your fcuking FACE!* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to think we are loaning you a player who is pretty much keeping you out of serie b. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gaucci mentality ftw...icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

oh right so no replacements then?

That'd happen icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so where do we get the money for these replacements? It won't be from the money we get from selling Giggs and Van Der Sar. So we should at least keep them for back up, unless you want to end up like Arsenal with just a bunch of kids who have no idea what they're doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I'd ****ing kill to end up with a bunch of kids like Fabregas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what about your english, er...british heart mates?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

Now, I am not a ManU fan (infact I am AC Milan fan) but these kind of games come atleast once a year (for any club)where you are totally outplayed and your players look like a bunch of cr@p......but than next couple of games everything comes in order and you will see that they will all preform great.....including VDS and Giggs and everyone you just attacked </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is, those games all seem to congregate when we play a decent side away from home in Europe. There's something more deeper lying than us simply having a poor game tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matt_e:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

Now, I am not a ManU fan (infact I am AC Milan fan) but these kind of games come atleast once a year (for any club)where you are totally outplayed and your players look like a bunch of cr@p......but than next couple of games everything comes in order and you will see that they will all preform great.....including VDS and Giggs and everyone you just attacked </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is, those games all seem to congregate when we play a decent side away from home in Europe. There's something more deeper lying than us simply having a poor game tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah what a terrible season we've had. mass clear out IMO.

must have missed the bankruptcy order :*(

and the 10 point deduction for going into administration :*( :*( </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suck it up fatty...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matt_e:

Thing is, those games all seem to congregate when we play a decent side away from home in Europe. There's something more deeper lying than us simply having a poor game tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah what a terrible season we've had. mass clear out IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

keep everyone mate. especially giggs, richardson and heinze

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

What? Where did I say we'd had a poor season?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

keep everyone mate. especially giggs, richardson and heinze </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fwiw, I'd keep giggs and heinze.

Yeah but has more to do with SAF and your players having little or no experience compared to Milans

Rich.

Who would you get rid of from our squad right now?

What positions would you strengthen from within with the youngsters and what positions do you feel we need to buy players and how many per position? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you know who you've been linked with that I think could have helped tonight? javier mascherano. I know he's probably out of your price range but I think he could have neutralized kaka much better than carrick.

how much did you pay for carrick again?

What? Where did I say we'd had a poor season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well the tone of youe post suggests that you're extremely unhappy with the squad. Just pointing out that we haven't done all that bad this season.

What? Where did I say we'd had a poor season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well the tone of youe post suggests that you're extremely unhappy with the squad. Just pointing out that we haven't done all that bad this season.

Uhm. Obviously you don't follow United because Giggs has been shocking since February and VDS (who didn't do anything wrong today) has started doing dodgy saves for the past 6 games that could have costed us games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

you know who you've been linked with that I think could have helped tonight? javier mascherano. I know he's probably out of your price range but I think he could have neutralized kaka much better than carrick.

how much did you pay for carrick again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not gonna get a reaction out of me tonight David. icon_wink.gif

Lets look at it realistically, we were never going to get Mascherano when he would have been realistically available to us, purely due to the player ownership thing. Was a shrewd move by your lot taking advantage of the problems it caused West Ham and you guys should be applauded for that icon14.gif

....and isnt Giggs a CL leader in assists which is his main "homework" and whenever I saw him this year he was one of the best players on the pitch.

and didi you all allready forget that ball from giggs for 3-2 on Old Trafford

well the tone of youe post suggests that you're extremely unhappy with the squad. Just pointing out that we haven't done all that bad this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh far from it, we've obviously exceeded expectations, just disagreeing with the comment that this result could be chalked up to 'one of those days' when we've clearly a history of not performing away in Europe, one year aside.

....and isnt Giggs a CL leader in assists which is his main "homework" and whenever I saw him this year he was one of the best players on the pitch.

and didi you all allready forget that ball from giggs for 3-2 on Old Trafford </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and that ball he played to Rooney for uniteds third was the only decent thing he did all night.

Lets look at it realistically, we were never going to get Mascherano when he would have been realistically available to us, purely due to the player ownership thing. Was a shrewd move by your lot taking advantage of the problems it caused West Ham and you guys should be applauded for that icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you bother responding to such trolling?

well the tone of youe post suggests that you're extremely unhappy with the squad. Just pointing out that we haven't done all that bad this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh far from it, we've obviously exceeded expectations, just disagreeing with the comment that this result could be chalked up to 'one of those days' when we've clearly a history of not performing away in Europe, one year aside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah completely agree, as I mentioned on previous page. don't think Fergie has the tactical awareness in Europe.

and didi you all allready forget that ball from giggs for 3-2 on Old Trafford </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the Lille games, apart being clever to take the early free kick he was ****.

For Milan home, he was ****.

For Roma home. Well he had a good game there.

And that's it. In case you saw him in the group stages then of course you believe he is doing fine. Back then he was really one one of our best attacking players alongside Ronaldo and Scholes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

Lets look at it realistically, we were never going to get Mascherano when he would have been realistically available to us, purely due to the player ownership thing. Was a shrewd move by your lot taking advantage of the problems it caused West Ham and you guys should be applauded for that icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you bother responding to such trolling? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Gregg stop biting.

all worked out in the end though. missed out on some overrated argie (veron icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif) and instead got the man you were really after, and at what a price! carrick - now HE'S a big match footballer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Yeah and that ball he played to Rooney for uniteds third was the only decent thing he did all night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but the fact is that if he did the same thing today alot of you wouldnt go against him despite the fact he would of played a cr@p game

Gutted.

That second goal really killed us. Defensive error. And I really don't understand why we weren't pressing Milan a bit more. We only needed to avoid defeat, for f***s sake's ...

And, like others have said, I think this isn't a "one of those nights" thing. We are constantly found wanting in the latter stages of Europe.

Oh well, a couple of Prem title in the next few years while we search for our "Holy Grail" (ala the 90's), while Ferguson's last years at the club whittle down will be adequate.

Oh, look, its 17 years and counting...

**** it.

Never even got ****ing going. Gave them WAY too much respect. A load of ******** really.

Scouser can **** right off though. They've won **** all yet, and as someone rightly pointed out, it's nigh on two decades since they were the best in their own back yard, so they can crawl down whatever hole they came out of and ****ing rot for all I care.

tbf, they've been able to go through the motions in the league and rest key players week in week out while we've been scraping together a team for the last month or so - it's no surprise they looked a lot fresher than us tonight and were able to constantly press us when we had possession. certainly not the main reason they beat us but a contributing factor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

**** it.

Never even got ****ing going. Gave them WAY too much respect. A load of ******** really.

Scouser can **** right off though. They've won **** all yet, and as someone rightly pointed out, it's nigh on two decades since they were the best in their own back yard, so they can crawl down whatever hole they came out of and ****ing rot for all I care.

*****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:*)

I'd ****ing kill to end up with a bunch of kids like Fabregas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd prefer to win the league thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Well precisely, it's the same as Liveprool isn't it.

Team hardly ever wins the CL in the same season as the league. What makes 99 so continually impressive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least both teams are in the same position this time i guess. negates liverpool's 'only a cup team la' advantage. milan will still bottle it though.

Are UNited fans really suggesting they get rid of Heinze. He was a nightmare tonight, but it was only 18 months ago that he was just as good as Ashley Cole. Give him a full pre-season to get fit and he will be ace again. I'd love to see you sell him, but you'd massively regret it.

and for what it's worth, Carrick is easily the equal of Mascherano as a defensive midfielder, but he does much more of interceptions and clever positioning than hollywood tackles. At United he actually plays a bit too far forward to be as defensively effective as he can be; for Spurs last season he was almost Makalele-good, and Makalele invisible too.

Thing is, he absolutely can't man-mark, so if you have someone like Kaka who will break endlessly from midfield you need one defensive midfielder picking up that playmaker, and Carrick sitting deep cutting off all the other passes. United's other midfielders were Fletcher and Scholes, neither of whom has any right to mark anybody, so Carrick was always going to have his work cut out doing a role he's not suitable for.

But Carrick alongside a Gattuso would be Pirlo-good. He's so much better than Hargreaves it's untrue. Again, if the generally accepted Manchester consensus that Hargreaves will sign and Carrick will be pushed forward comes true, I'll laugh. If you sign Hargreaves (who's gone from unfairly under-rated to grotesquely over-rated in the space of four standard england performances) you need to have him pressing further up the pitch/ doing a man-marking job and Carrick sitting even deeper doing a proper sweep-job. For defensive positioning and awareness Carrick's only Premiership rival is Makalele, but he's english, as are most of his clubs' supporters, so whether people ever appreciate this, rather than tw4tting on about how he doesn't make Gerrard-tackles (Gerrard being the most woefully ill-disciplined midfielder in the Premiership in defensive terms, and costing his team huge acres of exploitable space for every 'passionate' tackle he puts in), looks doubtful.

But yeah, rant aside, you HAVE to keep Heinze.

Right up with your 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA' posts for insight there dave, wp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

insight? takes a psychoanalyst to see you twisted and bitter and lashing onto your hatred of another team as your only solace in the world.

our 3rd european cup final since 99, is it not? oh well, you're a pretty good domestic side. can always rest your hat on that. :*)

or, in words you can more easily understand: **** **** **** cheating **** scousers icon_mad.gif **** omg **** **** bbb I hate fergie **** barbra streisand ****

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Well precisely, it's the same as Liveprool isn't it.

Team hardly ever wins the CL in the same season as the league. What makes 99 so continually impressive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at least both teams are in the same position this time i guess. negates liverpool's 'only a cup team la' advantage. milan will still bottle it though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have faith in Kaka and Gattuso, who were frankly awesome tonight.

It's misplaced, granted, but it's all I've got.

whether Heinze stays presumably depends on whether we pursue Bale in the summer. hope he does stay though, too much kneejerkery about him (and van der sar) tonight.

Giggs a different matter, we've been saying it for years now - he shouldn't be first choice anymore, or rather, he can't play this many games as first choice anymore. Giggsy would probably agree, going off what he said in his book.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kidkovacevic:

Carrick is easily the equal of Mascherano as a defensive midfielder, but he does much more of interceptions and clever positioning than hollywood tackles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

another lad who's watched mascherano all of 5 times. :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kidkovacevic:

Carrick is easily the equal of Mascherano as a defensive midfielder, but he does much more of interceptions and clever positioning than hollywood tackles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm no. Infact is Carrick even a defensive midfielder. If you asked him I doubt he'd see it that way anyway.

Archived