The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

And yeah, agree with regard to Fletcher. I guess you can look at the Carrick / Fletcher / Hargreaves trio with Carrick becoming the attacking focus. Still, I’d rather see two of those with a more genuine ‘hole’ player in there.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

"why sky likes mancs so much?"

"looking forward to Sky's 10 minute celebratory montage of United's glorius season/Ronaldo-best-player-in-world clips.

of course, they outplayed absolutely everyone this season. they totally outplayed us at Anfield.

icon_rolleyes.gif"

"FFS GIVE Raffa THE MONEY FERGUSONS HAD AN HE WILL DELIVER THE PREM.

point im making is man u have bought the prem."

"icon_rolleyes.gif

the fans gathering behind that reporter really showed what a classy, intelligent bunch they are."

scousers ftw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha where's that from? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, club in having wanky forums shocker.

RedIssue like reading Dickens iirc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd say neccesary rather than 'icing'. while i think we need a Hargs type player, he's got to be third priority behind winger and striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't agree with that. It wasn't a lack of goals or options that left us so outclassed in Milan. It was a set of tactics and formation designed to cover the gaping hole in front of the back 4. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it not as much Fergie again falling between two stools away in europe, unable to decide between going for it and protecting what we had? Which he's been doing basicallgy since the 3-2 home defeat by Milan in 2000. That was exacerbated by the fact that we didn't have a centre forward who was making an unshakeable case for playing. Add to that the fact that apart from a 10 minute spell in the second half we didn't ever look like scoring, or feel like we really had options to change things, even when we were going for it.

I don't disagree that the Milan game gave a clear indication of why we do need a Hargreaves type, i made the same point myself. But i'd point more to three out of the first choice back four missing and the fourth clearly unfit as the bigger reason for the nature of the defeat. Certainly Fergie would have had less excuse to feel the need to over protect the back 4 had the defence looked anything like it's usual self.

I'd also say there was an element of simply a bad day at the office, that we didn't turn up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

Isn't it the African Nations cup next season?

Could be interesting to see how Chelsea perform considering how many African players they have there now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's also been talk of them recalling Crespo as cover, which he wouldn't be too happy about.

I've already said that I'd welcome a move for Nani so if the story has legs then icon14.gif

Bale, even if he is as talented as has been reported (I've not seen him play once sadly), doesn't seem like a priority for me unless we wrangle a deal for Berbatov in a Cash+Saha+we sign Bale then send him on loan to you for 2 seasons or something-deal. Richards I've already stated is not worth the premium we'd have to pay and I'm honestly not convinced about the hype surrounding him yet.

I'm with Mark on the Hargreaves is the right player at the wrong price side of things. Fergie may say that getting top players costs but surely we have to draw the line somewhere. In saying that, while I think £20mill is far to much, £13-14mill I could probably deal with. The link to Sidwell is a very poor alternative for me, I don't think he's top drawer at all. No thanks.

As for the defenders, Evans and Simpson seem likely candidates for another year out on loan, and if Keano is happy to take them for his Prem debut season then I think that helps Sunderland, the players and us.

IMO O'Shea isn't going to be sold for another season at least although he will go eventually. As for Gabby, Silv and Brown, I can see why, especially if Bale comes in that the first two would be likely to go, but I actually think that Silvestre, especially with his current injury could be a more likely candidate to stay. Him being out of action, not really involved regularly with first team duties, a waning rep, but not devoid of quality puts him in the situation where it’d be hard for the club to find a willing buyer without convincing the player that he should go as well as dropping the asking price to the point where we may as well give him away. Depending on defensive recruits a loan away seems more likely if he is to exit but I wouldn’t count against him being here at the end of the transfer window.

Gabby is marketable and desired by plenty of teams, hell as well as the Juve links, Barca have been looking around for a LB and although they are seemingly targeting Abidal, its not like Heinze would be a poor alternative. He's coming into the last year of his contract isn't he? Or am I remembering some bad info from a while ago?

The Wes situation is difficult to call because if there's an injury to GNev again it’s more likely to be JOS that steps in, and in the situation where we need a CB to step in its going to be a Fergie judgement call on who’s better suited for the opposition out of him, Gabby and Silv, even if he is the most natural CB out of the three. Then there’s the fact that Pique might come back. It seems to be getting to the point where we either sell him or bring him right into the fold and if Fergie does rate him then Wes is the primary candidate to go for me, primarily because he is sellable to plenty of candidates outside of the top four with status and ambition.

Finally, I agree that we need a “hole†CM as James put it and a RB but they can wait to be addressed for another 12 months. I think that Giggs and Scholes will probably share that duty if we sign Hargreaves or another CM. However, I do agree with the assertion that a winger and a striker should be higher up the list than a CM. I think the defeat against Milan was more a combination of 90% of our players not being mentally ready to take on the game itself, our first choice defence either being sidelined through injury, suspension or involved through necessity when clearly not match fit rather than the lack of a dedicated DM. I’m not saying that it wouldn’t have helped but if Fletch and Carrick had acted as a proper shield instead of being 3 steps behind Seedorf and Kaka it then tactically there wouldn’t have been as much of a problem. At the end of the day it was the mental thing for me primarily, we weren’t collectively ready for the game and Milan rolled us over because their quality and experience and desire meant that they were.

Just pressed refresh while I was typing that last part and I think "wmgs" is the appropriate term.

Oh and as far as the squad goes, Richardson out obviously.

i haven't been on the forums for the past 10 days but i watched the milan match and could not believe how biased the ref was towards the home team...

Anyhow, it was a bad day, mostly due to poor defence and players not performing really well on the day.

Great to win the EPL! Now, Saha out and Fergie badly needs to get a good goal poacher such as RVN, someone who can get 20 goals+ in the EPL per season.

• Administrators

Drogba, Essien, Kalou, Mikel icon_frown.gif

JM's transfer policy this summer will have that heavily in mind. Doesn't mean we won't be severely and painfully buggered though. 5 weeks without them.

I'm hoping we manage to get a run of games between Jan 10th and Feb 20th like we had this year.

Wycombe A

Wigan H

Liverpool A

Wycombe H

Forest H

Blackburn H

Charlton A

Boro H

Norwich H

We could just about scrape through similar.

fwiw

sign a winger and sell Richardson. That's the priority.

If we can get £5/6m for Heinze then I'd let him go, along with a couple of million for Silvestre then maybe go after Bale with that cash. Bring Evans back, but let Simpson stay out on loan. Keep Brown and O'Shea, and possibly Pique.

If we can get £6/7m for Saha, and/or Smith then sell them and buy a striker.

As for a midfielder, I'm happy sticking with Carrick/Fletcher/Scholes, but we could do with another if the money is there.

So we'd have this squad:

Van Der Sar

Foster

Kuzszcak

Neville

Brown

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Evans

Pique

Bale

O'Shea

Ronaldo

Giggs

New Winger

Fletcher

Scholes

Carrick

Solskjaer

Rooney

Rossi

Smith/Saha

Huntelaar plz

Gks are fine, defence is fine, we don't really need Bale, unless we can use him as a LM. The midfield does need an extra player from somewhere. As for strikers, we do look short, if Saha can be relied on the be fit (and he can't) then we can keep him and we'll be fine. Smith is good and will do a great job as 3rd striker, but we may need to sell to bring someone in. Rossi should be ok as 4th striker.

Next season will probably be the last for Van der Sar, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Solskjaer, and maybe Fergie. Then we're in trouble. Will definitely need a CM, another winger, and RB and a striker.

But the squad could look something like this:

Foster

Kuzsczak

Brown

Ferdinand

Vidic

Evra

Bale?

Evans

Pique

O'Shea

Ronaldo

Nani

Fletcher

Carrick

Hargreaves

??

??

Rooney

Rossi

Huntelaar

??

I think the lack of midfield options over the next two seasons may well mean we'll be keeping Richardson icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

Sod off selling Smith. He has been great since fully recovering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've got what we expect so far. Great commitment, great holding the ball up, some nice touches, but only 1 goal.

I certainly wouldn't advocate selling him, he's a good backup/alternative, but at the end of the day i don't see him being 1st choice, and for all the emotion of his comeback and the fact that it was just at the right time, he's not been 'great' in the grand scheme of things.

And that's not a criticism, i don't think he could have done better than he has given how long he's been out, but lets not pretend he's something he's not either. He'll also be better with a pre-season under his belt, but i doubt he'll improve enough to be more than backup.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Is that 5 weeks minimum, i.e just the group stages? Or 5 weeks max if they get to the final? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max length, our players are drawn from the three strongest African nations so I'm assuming they'll be gone for a while.

Smith is fine for back up and if we can bring someone in without selling him (or if Saha can stay fit) then I'd keep him. Whether Smith will be happy being back up (despite the fact he'll probably still make 20 starts a season) I'm not sure. I guess he'll have to be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Is that 5 weeks minimum, i.e just the group stages? Or 5 weeks max if they get to the final? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

latter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Franck Ribery has alerted England's top clubs by claiming he would be interested in a move to Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea should he decide to leave Marseille in the summer.

The French international has been given permission to leave Stade Velodrome if a suitable offer materialises, but his long-term future could yet be preserved if Marseille manage to secure a place in the UEFA Champions League in the last three games of the season.

Should l'OM fail to do so, then there is likely to be a long list of candidates for Ribery's signature as he has become one of the continent's hottest properties over the past 12 months.

Whilst seemingly ruling out a move to either Lyon or Bayern Munich, Ribery has explained he could be swayed by an offer to join one of Europe's biggest sides.

"It is true last summer OL were very interested in me, but now I am only attracted by abroad. If I would leave, it would only be for a foreign club," Ribery told France Football.

"I know I am not very excited by a country like Germany. I prefer English and Spanish leagues.

"The clubs that make me dream? Manchester, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea and Milan.

"Money won't make me choose because there is money in any of those clubs. I just want to play, I don't want to change my club just to stay on the bench."

Marseille are currently just one point shy of second-placed Lens following Sunday's 2-1 win over Monaco, a game in which Ribery claimed his fifth goal of the Ligue 1 campaign.

With a Champions League place a distinct possibility, Ribery has not ruled out extending his stay at Stade Velodrome.

"The day I leave Marseille, I would like to leave with my head held high, serene," Ribery added.

"My priority is to play Champions League football next season and why not with Marseille? I will do my best for l'OM to reach it.

"Then we will see what happens by the end of the season." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"The clubs that make me dream? Manchester, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Arsenal, Chelsea and Milan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite alot of dreams there icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Was just on the wembley website and seems wherever you are in the ground you get a fantastic view, bit like Cardiff. James/Gonch etc how much were yours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont have a ticket for wembley at this moment icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">btw redblood - are you planning on going to away pub tomorrow to watch the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to go to the one Juni suggested yeh

You doing the same?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

hmmm, united haven't sent the ticket to the lad as yet :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will be smashing your face in if I don't have a ticket for West Ham.

heh, yeah it's my fault isn't it? icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who said it was? I just want to beat you until you're pretty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">btw redblood - are you planning on going to away pub tomorrow to watch the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to go to the one Juni suggested yeh

You doing the same? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh im up for it. i like your idea of going in for the last 10-15 minutes too.

spent all day at working harrassing a chelsea fan, oh i love being champions icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

you even think about touching martin and I'll rip your throat out icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would have to turn up to the wall for that to happen icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Peter Kenyon, the man who when he was chief executive of Manchester United was blamed by Ferguson for the bungling of the Ronaldinho signing, announcing that the Premiership would in future be fought out by a "bunch of one." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, had forgotten about that. ul you smug bald c**t

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sid Lowe in Madrid

Tuesday May 8, 2007

The Guardian

The former Real Madrid coach and World Cup winner Jorge Valdano has attacked Rafael Benítez and Jose Mourinho, insisting that they are ushering in a bleak future for football and likening the Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Chelsea to "a **** hanging from a stick".

The Argentinian, who scored in the 1986 World Cup final and has a respected reputation as a football intellectual, claimed that Mourinho and Benítez mistrust talent because of their own failure to make it as players and said their approach is bad news for the game.

Writing in Spain's best-selling newspaper, Marca, Valdano insisted: "Football is made up of subjective feeling, of suggestion - and, in that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a **** hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a **** hanging from a stick.

"Chelsea and Liverpool are the clearest, most exaggerated example of the way football is going: very intense, very collective, very tactical, very physical, and very direct," he added. "But, a short pass? Noooo. A feint? Noooo. A change of pace? Noooo. A one-two? A nutmeg? A backheel? Don't be ridiculous. None of that. The extreme control and seriousness with which both teams played the semi-final neutralised any creative licence, any moments of exquisite skill.

"If Didier Drogba was the best player in the first match it was purely because he was the one who ran the fastest, jumped the highest and crashed into people the hardest. Such extreme intensity wipes away talent, even leaving a player of Joe Cole's class disoriented. If football is going the way Chelsea and Liverpool are taking it, we had better be ready to wave goodbye to any expression of the cleverness and talent we have enjoyed for a century."

Valdano explained why Benítez and Mourinho were to blame for the demise of flair and creativity. "The lives of Mourinho and Benítez have crossed in a world that is ever more scrutinised and exposed by the media, which is why they look at each other with such distrust," he wrote, "but they have two things in common: a previously denied, hitherto unsatisfied hunger for glory, and a desire to have everything under control.

"Both of those things stem from one key factor: neither Mourinho nor Benítez made it as a player. That has made them channel all their vanity into coaching. Those who did not have the talent to make it as players do not believe in the talent of players, they do not believe in the ability to improvise in order to win football matches. In short, Benítez and Mourinho are exactly the kind of coaches that Benítez and Mourinho would have needed to have made it as players." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Neither did Wenger iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what i was about to post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Football is made up of subjective feeling, of suggestion - and, in that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a **** hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a **** hanging from a stick.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahaahahahahaha icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Football is made up of subjective feeling, of suggestion - and, in that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a **** hanging from a stick in the middle of this passionate, crazy stadium and there are people who will tell you it's a work of art. It's not: it's a **** hanging from a stick.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahaahahahahaha icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolute class!

technically, how do you get the sh*t to hang from the stick? Wouldn't it fall off pretty quickly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait for it to solidify slightly?

Archived