World Cup Betting Thread - with as much discussion as possible!

gillsminnow

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what's staggering? I just did a simple count and found that in games where it was 'American' team vs Rest of the world, Americans have the edge 12 wins, 1draw, 4 losses. Do an America vs Europe, and the record stands at 7 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. I think that's pretty remarkable considering that the odds have generally favoured the Europeans so far.

Looking forward, there are the following remaining games between America and other continents:

Costa Rica vs England, Italy vs Uruguay, Japan vs Colombia, Nigeria vs Argentina, Ecuador vs France, Honduras vs Switzerland, USA vs Germany

If you be selective about them and take Ecuador and Honduras out and go with Costa Rica, Uruguay, Colombia, Argentina and USA (maybe on a +0.5 handicap), on same stake singles, I would be surprised if you come out with a loss. Maybe even worth a long shot accy.

The odds favour the Europeans mainly because the lines are set by what the bookies believe people will bet on. The main punters for the World Cup on big bookies are European, and will bet more on Euro teams, thus the line will reflect that. England are still massive favourites against Costa Rica, which is just ridiculous

Chile, Croatia, Costa Rica, Colombia and Ivory Coast. Not many games about with BTTS near evens so unfortunately a few of my 32 lines do return a loss but I think that's made up for by the odds on some of the teams which I think represent some real value.

This didn't go well, don't think I can get any sort of return regardless of what happens tonight :(

We should get a mini group together and all put in some money either at the start of the season or an agreed monthly fee and all pick one game each week for the MM. See where we end up. Might be easier if each person is looking for just one game they fancy. Could lead to a couple of decent wins :cool:

I think they are both going to be quite tight games as Ivory Coast, Greece and Japan all have a chance to join Colombia in the next round. Although Japan and Greece both need to win I don't think they will be going for it from the off as they won't want to get hit in the break to ruin any chances of getting through. Ivory Coast only need a point really so I don't think they will be pressing the issue either but I think they will probably have too much for Greece overall. Draw/Ivory Coast at 4/1 looks worth a bet. Probably going to have a small bet on Kalou FGS at 10/1 (SJ) too.

Looks like a different betslip. The other was placed at a different time and date and was for 32 NOK it seems.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyQuandary/status/481516400327290880/photo/1

Also the odds match with the stake.

Class bet though whatever it is.

Yeah, the guy who had 100NOK on it was with Unibet, while the other was with Betsson. Both Norwegian, so it proves we know how to find value in biting bets :)

From Ladbrokes:

As the final group games of the 2014 World Cup are played tonight and tomorrow, the pressure is mounting on teams to qualify.

GET A RISK FREE BET UP TO £25 WHEN YOU BET ON THE REMAINING WORLD CUP GROUP MATCHES!

Place a single or multiple bet up to £25 on any of the remaining group games at odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater and we'll give you a FREE BET to the same amount, when your bet is settled... win or lose! Enter promo code WORLDCUP before placing your bet.

Ecuador (17/4) know a win will see them through as they go up against table topping France (4/6) tonight (9pm). There has been over 2.5 goals scored in all of Ecuador's and France's games so far. We're 7/10 over 2.5 goals.

Tomorrow, Algeria (11/4) take on Russia (21/20) (9pm) with the Russians needing the 3 points to stand any chance of going through. In Algeria's matches so far, both teams have scored and with this game likely to be open, there could be a repeat of this. We're 17/20 both teams to score.

Could well be account specific but worth a try. :)

Had a tenner on this pre-tournament. Thought the Swiss would be the toughest opponents but now its down to Ecuador!

1234_zps4a5690f3.png

That's a brilliant shout! :thup: What was your stake on it? Good luck regardless. Think you'll be fine because I haven't thought much of the Ecuadorian defence, they're a bit gung-ho and reckless at the back so I fancy France to win maybe 3-0 or more. Ecuador probably score a goal because they're dangerous and France's defence isn't all that, but France are pretty devastating going forward, especially on the counter where they'll have a lot of space to exploit the Ecuadorian gaps.

From Ladbrokes:

Could well be account specific but worth a try. :)

I entered the code and it said the promo was successfully added so it looks like it should work. Don't see it in my free bets list though and can't place a bet due to withdrawing recently and being over my deposit limit (don't even remember setting up a deposit limit).

Hoping for France & Switzerland wins tonight which will land me £1300+ with them so I will be able to try it tomorrow if it comes in.

I entered the code and it said the promo was successfully added so it looks like it should work. Don't see it in my free bets list though and can't place a bet due to withdrawing recently and being over my deposit limit (don't even remember setting up a deposit limit).

Hoping for France & Switzerland wins tonight which will land me £1300+ with them so I will be able to try it tomorrow if it comes in.

It will work then. It doesn't activate until your original bet is settled. I am just trying to work out who to back.

That's a brilliant shout! :thup: What was your stake on it? Good luck regardless. Think you'll be fine because I haven't thought much of the Ecuadorian defence, they're a bit gung-ho and reckless at the back so I fancy France to win maybe 3-0 or more. Ecuador probably score a goal because they're dangerous and France's defence isn't all that, but France are pretty devastating going forward, especially on the counter where they'll have a lot of space to exploit the Ecuadorian gaps.

Put £10 on it so hopefully it comes in!!

Had a tenner on this pre-tournament. Thought the Swiss would be the toughest opponents but now its down to Ecuador!

1234_zps4a5690f3.png

nice bet.

Not anywhere near as good, but got a bargain pre-tournament. Australia to concede over 6 goals @evens. I thought the bookie had gone mad, versus 3 goal proficient sides.

Looking at bets today- its hard when its the final game as players are doing their possibly final showings, and are more urgent to perform. It's where Cameroon found a goal versus Brazil, no goal first two matches, find one for their final showing to say they scored a goal.

So it's interesting what Iran will do today. And Argentina versus the second defensive side following Iran.

BetBrights pre- tournament offer of a free fiver when Argentina win and a free fiver when Messi scores is turning out to be a goldmine :D

Didn't do top scorer on betbright but get £5 free beta every time Argentina win, every time Messi scores and every time Argetina score :D

Plus I've got a good whack on them both outright.

does anyone know what happens on if got bet on someone be top goalscorer for there country if they 2 finsh on same ammount goals

Dead heat rules would apply. What was your stake and which player did you choose as top scorer?

For example I put £14 on James Rodriguez as top Ligue 1 scorer. He has 3 goals and Ayew has 2 so far. For talking sake if they both were to finish on 3 goals then because there are 2 players level your stake (in my case £10) would be halved to become £5. Instead of me getting £98 returns I would instead get half of this so £49. It works the same way for a 3 way tie....divide stake by 3 etc etc.

You know what's staggering? I just did a simple count and found that in games where it was 'American' team vs Rest of the world, Americans have the edge 12 wins, 1draw, 4 losses. Do an America vs Europe, and the record stands at 7 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. I think that's pretty remarkable considering that the odds have generally favoured the Europeans so far.

Looking forward, there are the following remaining games between America and other continents:

Costa Rica vs England, Italy vs Uruguay, Japan vs Colombia, Nigeria vs Argentina, Ecuador vs France, Honduras vs Switzerland, USA vs Germany

If you be selective about them and take Ecuador and Honduras out and go with Costa Rica, Uruguay, Colombia, Argentina and USA (maybe on a +0.5 handicap), on same stake singles, I would be surprised if you come out with a loss. Maybe even worth a long shot accy.

Costa Rica +0.5, Colombia, Argentina and Uruguay +1. Came in, £8.89 from £1 :thup: Also had USA +1 but I bottled it and cashed out would have been £22 from £1 good tip.

Dead heat rules would apply. What was your stake and which player did you choose as top scorer?

For example I put £14 on James Rodriguez as top Ligue 1 scorer. He has 3 goals and Ayew has 2 so far. For talking sake if they both were to finish on 3 goals then because there are 2 players level your stake (in my case £10) would be halved to become £5. Instead of me getting £98 returns I would instead get half of this so £49. It works the same way for a 3 way tie....divide stake by 3 etc etc.

was dzeko in a accy with few others £5 stake was going pay abound £970 before so no idea what it would now

Costa Rica +0.5, Colombia, Argentina and Uruguay +1. Came in, £8.89 from £1 :thup:Also had USA +1 but I bottled it and cashed out would have been £22 from £1 good tip.

Now it looks a very clever move :D

Are those European handicaps? Thought you were using asian lines when you referred to Costa Rica +0.5

Anyway, I'm on Kokorin first and Mertens first/last. As usual, the value in goalscorer bets decrease as the championship goes on.

Started the tournament fantastically, but I've been running so bad lately. The goalscorer odds are better than I thought they'd be though. Nothing compared to the old days, but might focus more on it as the leagues in Europe start again

Archived