World Cup Draft Game

Gizzy

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JDownie & Noob21 teams I like the most with my money on Noob21 to win. ScottMac attack seems very :( His 2 CBs/Keeper are without one of, if not the strongest around though.

What's wrong with my attack? They all scored double figures this past season for their clubs. I'd say Pedro and Sneijder are big names and Remy making a name for himself over the past year or so.

Obviously not as strong as some other people's attacks but I wouldn't say its very :( at all.

All of those wingers you named were in my shortlist. Don't forget Podolski, Xavi, Xabi didnt get picked either.

Didn't include Podolski etc because I honestly didn't realise they hadn't been selected :lol: Soon as I picked Lahm and Pique, Germans and Spaniards became forgotten :D

Xabi Alonso not being picked is a massive surprise though :eek:

I'm unsure how this draft thing works from here... do the matches get posted in this forum, or general discussions, or somewhere else on the interweb?

Do you post both formations in the same post with a big V. in between them?

Can we switch formations based on who we're playing, to act more defensive/attacking based on our own opinions - or are we stuck with the default formation each time?

Never done one of these before so sorry for all the Qs.

Also, while I'm here, who is the resident bookmaker? My money is on Noob21 to win.

I'm unsure how this draft thing works from here... do the matches get posted in this forum, or general discussions, or somewhere else on the interweb?

Do you post both formations in the same post with a big V. in between them?

Can we switch formations based on who we're playing, to act more defensive/attacking based on our own opinions - or are we stuck with the default formation each time?

Never done one of these before so sorry for all the Qs.

Also, while I'm here, who is the resident bookmaker? My money is on Noob21 to win.

Usually we do the selections in OTF then post the images in the FF and have a poll where players decide who goes through and who gets knocked out. This time it'll all be kept in the WCF :thup:

You usually just stick with the default formation, once or twice I've been in games where we can change between wins but usually that's only in 'pink slip' variations (you choose a player to join your team from the side you just beat).

First Round Draw:

adhikapp Vs ri916

Rhino Vs gillsminnow

football_master_94 Vs JDownie

ScottMac Vs Animasta

SJ234 Vs DizzyPenguin

readingfanman Vs georginho_juventusygr

Bliss Seeker Vs Noob21

darren1983 Vs noikeee

How are we gonna do this? Let other people vote? Are we gonna tell the story of our teams tactics etcetc?

ri916 has great players but his formation is a bit lopsided. I still think my team is better, but I wont be the judge so I'm not expecting much ... :(

How are we gonna do this? Let other people vote? Are we gonna tell the story of our teams tactics etcetc?

ri916 has great players but his formation is a bit lopsided. I still think my team is better, but I wont be the judge so I'm not expecting much ... :(

Public poll. Anyone can vote (inc. yourself, although voting for yourself is generally frowned upon for some reason). You can state the thinking behind your tactics if you like but most people won't pay attention to that and will judge solely on the XI on the pitch and how they think it'll work.

Public poll. Anyone can vote (inc. yourself, although voting for yourself is generally frowned upon for some reason). You can state the thinking behind your tactics if you like but most people won't pay attention to that and will judge solely on the XI on the pitch and how they think it'll work.

Any voting for yourself should result in a automatic loss.

Any voting for yourself should result in a automatic loss.

Don't get this mentality. Never voted myself and never will but it's not like you get David Cameron deciding "oh, I won't vote myself in the election...".

Besides, if you vote yourself, the other guy votes himself too and it evens out to one apiece.

Don't get what's so bad about voting yourself tbh. Silly mentality. But like I say, I just avoid it altogether because people spite you if you vote yourself :D

Don't get this mentality. Never voted myself and never will but it's not like you get David Cameron deciding "oh, I won't vote myself in the election...".

Besides, if you vote yourself, the other guy votes himself too and it evens out to one apiece.

Don't get what's so bad about voting yourself tbh. Silly mentality. But like I say, I just avoid it altogether because people spite you if you vote yourself :D

Thus making it pointless :D

Comparing to a election is bloody stupid :lol:

Our job as drafters is to put the best team we can together for OTHER PEOPLE to vote on.

In honour of match against

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ10k2Xyi57KavEHLlEO5TOiBKVU_z05mlbtx6WiWXA9kcm_YqeuA

I shall rate my team's date--lovableness

In GK

Salvatore Sirigu - former boy-bander?

salvatore_sirigu_01_02122012.jpg

Even Buffy loves him

1809918_w2.jpg

At RB

Bacary Sagna - Seriously enough with the blond dreads

article-2344582-1A3064EA000005DC-452_634x417.jpg

At LB

Luke Shaw - Looking at you kid, now with more coif

image-5-for-sport-18-12-11-gallery-695059727.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpZm_rDLPp_dKev7GMwQPRVy0N17JKb8sDNRgi25mur7lu1ZPZ

At CB - Ezequiel Garay & Jan Vertonghen

ezequiel-garay.jpg

Dem teeth!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDoTqkrBIu6Sv7bgJdNB_BSpIPu_7csBvRl8MxTsGVbQlE5uwFWA

He sure is happier back then (and less dateable)

Jan-Vertonghen-Tottenham-Everton-Premier-Leag_3029879.jpg?20140225070134

Now with more anger and coif

Midfield

Sergio Busquets - Helloooo ladies

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyX3nHlASwMKTzaGtT1n8r3fsFYC9JglLSpZ80ZTSkMFR4Vg3S

Ramires - You sure this is a grown man?

Ramires-Chelsea.jpg

Modric - Only if you're into genderless elves

luka-modric-united.jpg

Strikers

Gotze - well at least he has a hot gf

141trbt.jpg

Ronaldo - don't even need photographic evidence, the man is a narc and you know it

Jackson Martinez - Hulk Smash!!

600.jpg

Phew

1016106_Dream_Team.jpg

Really not happy with my squad this time. The last draft I entered I had a sneaking suspicion I could fight for the title, and went there and won it, this time I don't. Think there's 2 or 3 squads I don't want to face, and then there's another in particular that I think is a level above all other teams.

I don't regret going for attack and midfield over defence, but did a major tactical mistake picking Kroos as 5th pick - at that stage there was still a few world class CBs available but then come the 6th pick they were all gone. Meanwhile creative midfielders remained available up until the very end, as proven by the fact Wilshere wasn't picked at all (!), who was one of my backups for that place. Kroos is better but there's not much between the two of them. There was also another possible knock-on effect later, as I only wanted another guy from Germany at that stage and he didn't go at all neither - Weidenfeller!

Still, I think I have the strongest midfield trio in the competition, the wings are occupied by the last 2 Champions League final men of the match, the striker is a class all-round finisher, and the defence whilst not as good as the rest, I hope people realize they're all hugely experienced and expected starters for 4 highly respectable teams (France, Italy, Portugal, England), and are covered by a Barcelona-bound keeper and Javi Martinez in front of them.

I think I have a cracking team but I've been drawn against one of the best sides and I might not even make it past the first round ffs. :D

Luck of the draw :thdn:

@Noikee - your midfield and attack is other worldly. You might go far. Your defence is suspect but that aside, there's no reason you can't do very very well.

Also, other 2 players I'm surprised weren't picked at all were Gokhan Inler and Valon Behrami of Switzerland, who were my plan B if I were unable to get any of the Spaniards for the DM position. I see a few teams that don't have a single defensively-sound midfielder and I think that will cost votes...

Also, other 2 players I'm surprised weren't picked at all were Gokhan Inler and Valon Behrami of Switzerland, who were my plan B if I were unable to get any of the Spaniards for the DM position. I see a few teams that don't have a single defensively-sound midfielder and I think that will cost votes...

Inler was my back-up to Guarin and Marchisio :D [e: my back-up-up? back-back-up? back-up-back-up?]

Behrami was one of the ones I was counting as a winger fwiw (he plays centrally nowadays but he was a winger a few years back). Valentin Stocker of Switzerland was also another.

Inler was my backup for Asamoah and as someone mentioned above with regards to wingers, there were a few decent ones that got away - I was intending on getting Nani in as my last pick (and putting Cuadrado at RB) but opted against it in the end. Your side is quality tbh bar Glenbo - that midfield 3 and front 3 is real strong.

I had Kevin-Prince Boateng, Antonio Valencia, Lukas Podolski, and a whole bunch of players ive written down for backups. Apart from Pirlo, Casillas, Honda and Cavani, everyone in my team were backups or backup of backups because all my other potential drafts were picked earlier :(

got an idea for a future draft. Everyone playing PM's me a list of 22 players, but can only keep any that are not chosen by anyone else. Picking from any player in the world.

Then I post everyones team before we draft for any remaining spaces.

got an idea for a future draft. Everyone playing PM's me a list of 22 players, but can only keep any that are not chosen by anyone else. Picking from any player in the world.

Then I post everyones team before we draft for any remaining spaces.

That's a stellar idea! Would be better if you made it that the draft order was not released too (so everybody could try to take Messi for example).

That's a stellar idea! Would be better if you made it that the draft order was not released too (so everybody could try to take Messi for example).

Yeah, wouldn't pick the order until after the players were chosen.

I won! \o/ My first ever draft win :D

I was wondering Gizzy - what's the result of a draw? Usually some sort of decider set in place... I was thinking for one - score each team based on their nationality and the lowest score wins. Scoring works by giving each individual player a score based on the commonness of their country. So Nigeria is worth 1 point because there's only one Nigerian. Germany is worth 13 points, by contrast. Would basically reward taking more obscure nations (obscure in the sense that their quality isn't as large as bigger nations).

Just a thought. Probably not even necessary and maybe not even the best way to decide something like this, but just an idea :D

Archived