Crashes in 2097

Don't laugh...

I have been playing FM2009 for some time now... (since 2009) with three teams, and sunk a huge amount of time. Reached the second of January 2097, and the game crashes. I have loaded my save game into a different PC, and it crashes on the same day. Tried Steam and the CD versions. Tried an archived save three months prior. Same thing.

I get the message "A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in.../crash dumps

I realise this game is not supported any more, but perhaps someone came across this back in the day, and has a solution.

In my defence, I have been playing FM since the first iteration of CM on the Amiga, where all the names were made up, and upgraded each year, until FM2009, when it came time to move on up to FM2010, I found that I was still enjoying the game. Perhaps the regens were working properly for the first time. Each year went by, and with each release, nothing really stood out in the new features to persuade me to upgrade. And so it was I just kept on going.

I realise the game is probably doomed. So, as I am a bit out of touch, should I move onto FM2014?

Cheers man!

I have a large database

England - League 2+

France - National

Germany 2nd+

Italy Serie B+

Holland Eerste +

Spain Liga adelante +

Argentina 2nd+

Brazil 2nd+

My latest save is 765,392KB uncompressed.

Holidaying does not work. Resigned and retired all of my managers, still crashes at the same point.

How many players/staff in the game? The league set up is not too bad tbh, i play with something similar, although i've never got as far in as you have.

The really sad reality is there probably isnt much anyone can do, not unless you get a super helpful dev who maybe already knows the issue, hopefully one of the mods will point one towards your thread, or try PM'ing one of them.

Don't laugh...

I have been playing FM2009 for some time now... (since 2009) with three teams, and sunk a huge amount of time. Reached the second of January 2097, and the game crashes. I have loaded my save game into a different PC, and it crashes on the same day. Tried Steam and the CD versions. Tried an archived save three months prior. Same thing.

I get the message "A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in.../crash dumps

I realise this game is not supported any more, but perhaps someone came across this back in the day, and has a solution.

In my defence, I have been playing FM since the first iteration of CM on the Amiga, where all the names were made up, and upgraded each year, until FM2009, when it came time to move on up to FM2010, I found that I was still enjoying the game. Perhaps the regens were working properly for the first time. Each year went by, and with each release, nothing really stood out in the new features to persuade me to upgrade. And so it was I just kept on going.

I realise the game is probably doomed. So, as I am a bit out of touch, should I move onto FM2014?

One thing you could try would be to run the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP. If you don't know how to do this, right click on the .exe for the game, and it's somewhere amongst the properties menu. This has helped me in the past with game crashes.

This of course assumed you're not using XP already. Otherwise ignore what I've said.

I don't think its a compatibility issue (this is probably the most stable game I have ever played on Windows 7/64), as this would have come up at some point before now. It seems there is a very specific trigger at a specific date. It may well be the point where it just cant take any more data. That's not to say I wont give it a go when I get a second.

Given the date of the crash it seems likely that this will be a memory issue and that the save has become too large to be processed. You didn't mention the computer specs but, with the large database, the amount of data being processed will be enormous after this time and may well have exceeded your processor capacity. You could try deleting scout reports, shortlists and any other non essential data lists and , as was stated above, try removing any custom graphics you have installed.

My main machine is ageing slightly:

Windows 7 Ulitmate 64

Intel i7 930 2.8 ghz

6gb ram

I also tried it out on a fresh install on a crappy machine I bought for £200 simply to watch BBC I player and browse the web etc (although its surprisingly quick in comparison):

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel Celeron G530 2.4ghz

4gb ram

They both crash at the same point. Don't think the customised graphics are responsible (as I only have club badges, and the fresh install had none).

Just checking my managers ages, they have both stopped ageing at 100, which is odd. Perhaps medical science has advanced in 2097. My third manager is only a spritely 88

try and holiday past it?

He has tried that.

Sounds like you're doomed. The best thing is that 2014 is currently on offer with 75% off.

It's nice to hear of someone else who was playing during the old Amiga days too. Also, I too skipped '10, '11 and '12. But last year I noticed an offer that was on during the European Cup final so thought that I may as well. I think you may enjoy how it is these days.

Respect on the commitment by the way!

We need to find someone who's got a bigger save file. My FM07's up to 705MB, so not up to yours yet.

Have you tried turning down the detail level of everything as low as possible then trying to proceed?

9.3.1 88284(m.e v753)

Memory for the process seems to be 547,568K when its idle, 564,820K when it crashes.

I have transferred my save game file "Charly 2096 fm2009 save.fm"

I really appreciate the effort, cheers!

Archived