Match 3 - Group B - Spain vs The Netherlands - 20:00 BST

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes but it's not the defenders fault someone tries to use his leg as a prop. We can say he shouldn't have done it but it doesn't somehow make someone going over you your fault. It's still the fault of a player taking advantage. Always

I agree on the point of cheating if that's what it was (I'd still like to see it from a better angle) but if the defender stays on his feet, that situation never occurs in the first place. Why give your opponent the chance to con the ref?

Lineker giving these idiots chance after chance and all of them are still too thick to realise it's an obvious dive :lol:

To be fair to Henry & Shearer, they are strikers and always going to say it's a penalty :D

That was brilliant by the BBC. All saying it's a penalty and then the slow mo replays come up. Total silence before cutting back to the studio and then they carry on saying it's a penalty.

He clearly stands on the defenders leg.

Because slow mo doesnt always tell the whole story, hes going to put his leg down before probably having a clear shot on goal. Clear penalty.

Because slow mo doesnt always tell the whole story, hes going to put his leg down before probably having a clear shot on goal. Clear penalty.

Anywhere outside the box, putting your foot on top of the defenders foot is a foul in favour of the defender.

That was brilliant by the BBC. All saying it's a penalty and then the slow mo replays come up. Total silence before cutting back to the studio and then they carry on saying it's a penalty.

He clearly stands on the defenders leg.

ESPN publically said it wasn't a penalty. At least the commentators.

I doubt Martinez was that blatant :D

If you watch it, as he puts his foot down he's looking right at the defenders leg, he knew what he was doing.

He put his foot down on the defenders leg. The only contact between the players was when Costa stood on the defender.

It's never ever a penalty.

The contact is supposed to be the reason for Costas fall but Costa was already falling and made sure his foot touched the defenders leg to make it look like fall.

Great van persie goal :eek:

I don't agree with that either, but if he was touched is penalty. He has no obligation to avoid contact. A WC defender should be smarter. This is football basics and has been this way for years!

I don't agree with that either, but if he was touched is penalty. He has no obligation to avoid contact. A WC defender should be smarter. This is football basics and has been this way for years!
I agree. He has no obligation to avoid contact, but artificially creating contact is cheating. He should have been booked.

It's a contact sport ffs. Contact doesn't = foul.

I agree on the point of cheating if that's what it was (I'd still like to see it from a better angle) but if the defender stays on his feet, that situation never occurs in the first place. Why give your opponent the chance to con the ref?

Why tackle at all!!

I think he was making the point that its easier to mark someone that is always with you than one that comes and goes like a false 9. Its probably one of the most frequently used arguments for the false 9.

I kind of trust Rio's opinion on a topic like that. He's a lot better than I expected generally.

If it is a false no.9 like Messi it is understandable but if you asked the Dutch defenders I think you would know what the answer would be. Coming up against such a beast like Costa is much more of a demanding task.

Archived