Spain V Chile - 20:00 BST KO - Group B - BBC

Djstu23

Spain-vs-Chile.png

449894-fbl-wc2014-stadium-maracana-final-file.jpg

Venue: Maracana

Spain coach Vicente Del Bosque has to decide whether or not to drop Iker Casillas and play Pepe Reina in goal.

Fellow keeper David De Gea has a buttock muscle injury, while Pedro and Javi Martinez could come into the starting line-up.

Chile's key midfielder Arturo Vidal came through an hour of the win over Australia unscathed on his first start since undergoing knee surgery in May.

Charles Aranguiz is one booking away from a ban.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win for Chili and thus Spain out, please. Don't want to risk the Spanish slipping through the group and getting their stuff together in the later rounds.

Spain win. Probably by two goals.

That's my thinking

Don't think the Spain defence will be as clownshoes again and Spain were doing their usual knocking it about in the first half against the Dutch. Chile seem to lose the ball in their own half a bit so could be a problem with the Spanish pressing up there if they bother

Torn. Would love Spain to get through, I'm not bored of them yet and know plenty of people who will go into meltdown if they get knocked out. At the same time I'm a big fan of Chile. It's huge.

Think Spain will edge it though however, 2-1 or something.

I don't mind Chile going through just don't want them playing Brazil in the last 16 as that's practically a bye

Croats of Mexico on goal difference and Brazil/Dutch in next round would be cool then Chile can go through with my blessing

I don't mind Chile going through just don't want them playing Brazil in the last 16 as that's practically a bye

Croats of Mexico on goal difference and Brazil/Dutch in next round would be cool then Chile can go through with my blessing

Why's it practically a bye? Brazil have been **** and it's not some foregone conclusion that they're topping that group.

According to Wiki, both Spain and Chile are 'La Roja', or the Red One. Weird.

Chile has always been "The Red" and Spain "La Furia / The Fury", but after the 08 euro they "stole" the name in a way to forget his past and legitimize their new era Chile are not happy with this and some ads claim that in this match the name it's for the one who wins.

What? They were noticeably poorer when he left the field. Glad to see Pique go he was absolutely awful.

A bit, more because of the fact they were chasing the game and leaving space than taking Alonso off though, he had a shocking game and didn't do his job in protecting the defence. Neither did Busquets, but he's better as the lone holding player which is what they should be moving towards.

Oh and if they want to go for a double pivot again it should be Javi Martínez there. I think Piqué deserved to be dropped but Javi Martínez has pretty much the same weaknesses as a centre back...

Archived