Commentary in FM 14

I raised it as a weird thing in FM 14 two times or more than that. I don't think I got any responses perhaps because that was not really worded well enough.

Here it is in a much clearer format: The commentary is bugged and broken at times in FM 14.

There are some examples. Comparison is between FM 12 and FM 14.

And also note that while this does not happen every time, it happens enough that it makes one think something like "WHYYYYYY" :D

Substitutions

FM 12:

Funny Team are making a substitution. It's OMGTHATGUY on for THISGUY.

FM 14:

Funny Team are making a substitution...

(play)

Really? It used to tell me something which I have to pause the game (to be safe. That man's a rocket off the bench so there!!) and look at their lineup.

Goal(Good one):

FM 12:

THATGUY scores!!!

He rushes over to the stands!!

The fans rush to the stands to congratulate him!!

The stewards struggle to hold back the fans!!

FM 14:

Goal for THATTEAM!!!!

(Fair enough they show the goal details through a popup)

Flash that colour

Flash that colour

(replay)

(I would have hoped for more description if it was a good goal at least.)

Have you noticed any stuff like this? Share!

I've started to notice that things like:

Goal for TEAM!!!

PLAYER has scored on his debut

The fans love him already

Seem to have disappeared, which is a shame

Although I did get sick of "that's his first goal of the season" which always semmed to be against me :p

BUMP!

Do people not see any sort of commentary anymore? This is hard to believe that no one else has noticed bugs in commentary.

Don't be shy come on out people!

Like what though?

Annoying things?

Like everytime the opposition puts an equaliser in or a last gasp goal the commentator goes insane such as in;

"GOAL!"

"GOAL GOAL GOALLLLLLLLLL"

Stop rubbing it in.

Switch it round to my team and it's just...

"Goal... that's the equaliser, ho hum, what a shame."

or do you mean commentary errors in relation to what's shown on the pitch? In which case, there a too many examples;

"He can't miss from there"

*shot blocked from half way line*

"He applies the finish"

*shot goes somewhere in the stratosphere"

"Shot from idiotA, and that wasn't far wide"

*shot went flying by the corner flag for a throw in*

"Inches wide"

*ball probably ends somewhere near the moon*

>_>

Like what though?

Annoying things?

Like everytime the opposition puts an equaliser in or a last gasp goal the commentator goes insane such as in;

"GOAL!"

Stop rubbing it in.

or do you mean commentary errors in relation to what's shown on the pitch? In which case, there a too many examples;

"He applies the finish"

"Inches wide"

>_>

The first one is enough to cause a nationwide protest. Understood the feeling.

I meant that what worked in FM 12 at least in terms of my examples is not working now. At least the problems do show themselves a lot of times. If not every time.

Thanks for the other bugs too. Hopefully more are found and get SI to notice this. Commentary has been broken sometimes.

Like what though?

Annoying things?

"GOAL!"

Stop rubbing it in.

"He applies the finish"

"Inches wide"

>_>

My favorite one when watching on key or commentary only is:

"there's only one outcome here!"

Talk about ending on a bloody cliffhanger.

My favorite one when watching on key or commentary only is:

"there's only one outcome here!"

Talk about ending on a bloody cliffhanger.

"Throw in"

Having some fun ones show up on my International save...

*shot from around the edge of the penalty area, curls wide*

"That was a sitter and he knows it!"

*long range effort*

"The crowd are shaking their heads in disbelief at that miss, he looks disgusted with himself, he really should have hit the back of the net from there."

Honestly? what game are they watching?

Then when it is a sitter... there's no comment given or they suggest it was speculative shot. @_@

Tl:dr The commentary never matches the on-screen action, ever.

I will agree that the commentary seems to be considerably more limited in recent versions. It just feels as though there's less variation in the phrasing used. Whether that's actually the case or not, I don't know, but it could certainly use some freshening up.

Ah, for the days when you could just enter your own lines of commentary into a random text document...

There are various factors at play here.

Firstly the commentary system is based on the speed you watch the highlights back. If you set it to a fast speed, it will actually display less information because you wouldn't be able to realistically read the text in time. Secondly the system was written many years ago and pre-dates both the 2d and 3d implementations. The introduction of 3d has shown up flaws where the two systems are not in sync and the visual action doesn't match up with the text and we've done work to reduce those problems over the years, albeit there is still more work to do there in the future.

We have actually spent a lot of time re-writing and modernising the Commentary and Match Events system and made it deterministic in FM 2015, so we're hopeful that you'll see some improvements with things like the synchronisation and the amount of commentary that can be realistically read and displayed during passages of play. That doesn't necessarily mean there are new events (although there are some) but it will provide us with a good platform to take it forward in the future and it's also translated properly into all of our other languages we support now too. We've addressed numerous bugs in the process, so hopefully you'll see the same amount of commentary there was before.

Firstly the commentary system is based on the speed you watch the highlights back. If you set it to a fast speed, it will actually display less information because you wouldn't be able to realistically read the text in time. Secondly the system was written many years ago and pre-dates both the 2d and 3d implementations. The introduction of 3d has shown up flaws where the two systems are not in sync and the visual action doesn't match up with the text and we've done work to reduce those problems over the years, albeit there is still more work to do there in the future.

When the two systems aren't in sync are you saying the 2d/3d is a better representation of the ME than the commentary?

When the two systems aren't in sync are you saying the 2d/3d is a better representation of the ME than the commentary?

No not necessarily. I'm referring to some of the examples some people have posted above, where there are some contextual issues, some bugs or some where a string may have been originally written with too much or too little detail.

There are various factors at play here.

We have actually spent a lot of time re-writing and modernising the Commentary and Match Events system and made it deterministic in FM 2015, so we're hopeful that you'll see some improvements with things like the synchronisation and the amount of commentary that can be realistically read and displayed during passages of play. That doesn't necessarily mean there are new events (although there are some) but it will provide us with a good platform to take it forward in the future and it's also translated properly into all of our other languages we support now too. We've addressed numerous bugs in the process, so hopefully you'll see the same amount of commentary there was before.

First of all: Thank You for a clear explanation about the commentary system.

What you have shown makes sense and it clears up a few things. It is also a bit curious and interesting as to how you mentioned speed at which the highlights are shown in FM. I have kind of misinterpreted it as "Full Match", "Comprehensive" stuff but realized you were talking about the "Sliders" which turn up the speed in real time. This is a experiment I'm going to try. Perhaps that would be a solution.

It's also very good to hear about the commentary work which is going on.

As a 'Commentary Only' user, it's good to hear that the commentary is continuously being worked on. One thing I'd appreciate though, would be if the "a flurry of commentary lines suddenly appear twice as fast as normal = goal or red card" thing, which has plagued the game for years and years, was fixed.

Archived