Why do some players simply kick the ball away?

This typically happens when the teams I play, play a high pressing game. Some of my players will just launch the ball out of bounds, or down the field back to the other team. The thing is, there are obvious passing options, a lot of the times right in front of the player! The ME will show the player spin around and and then launch the ball away. My tactics are all 100% fluid. Could it be because of the players decisions attribute? The player I checked who did this (one this one occasion) had a decisions attribute of 14. Hardly considered bad.

It simply doesn't make any sense! Does this happen to others?

I've noticed this too.

There's something else annoying me which is kind of linked to this. I've got my goalkeeper set to distribute to the full backs and also have 'play out of defence' selected. However, when I play a target man up front my goalkeeper ignores this and just hoofs the ball up to my striker. So if I want to play out from the back it seems I can't play a target man up front. :rolleyes:

Your players don't have enough time on the ball to find a passing option and your tactics probably don't encourage the advanced players to make themselves available during the transition phase of play.

The player definetly does though. Hell stay on the ball for a bit, spin around and then launch it away. To your point I see this happen when there obviously isn't enough time on the ball. But that would make sense...

There are times where I just scratch my head asking why a player who has 4stars CA in the serie a would do this.

Perhaps it's just the ME interpretation?

There are players close to him in a very clear passing lane(s)

I also found this - feels like some of the instructions don't actually do anything. Another one that does literally nothing when I activate it is 'Prevent Short GK Distribution'. Tried all striker roles, different pace players etc. still no pressure on the opposition keeper. Weird.

I could be totally wrong (happened before) but I usually interpret this as a sign you are generally under pressure in the match. I usually see this accompanied with the "taking no chances" text commentary.

Sometimes it does look a bit daft, but that's my take on it.

I also found this - feels like some of the instructions don't actually do anything. Another one that does literally nothing when I activate it is 'Prevent Short GK Distribution'. Tried all striker roles, different pace players etc. still no pressure on the opposition keeper. Weird.

I agree on that.

When I set in game instructions to f.i. " play wider " nothing happens different than before.

When I set " much higher tempo " nothing differs from before.

The same for other instructions.

SI, could you please confirm that " instructions " are only a cosmetic feature like players' hair color or t-shirt colors ?

Thanks

This is what happens when people only watch a few mins of highlights, they miss everything else that happens during the game.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's entirely fair. Especially something like 'Prevent Short GK Dsitribution' - whether you play with only key highlights or you watch the whole game, (as I have tried both) the outcome is the same - my players would not prevent any form of GK distribution. As soon as the GK touched the ball, the strikers would wander off and do nothing.

As far as the other issues mentioned in this post I haven't had chance to take a proper look at, but at the moment there definitely seems to be a lack of effectiveness in terms of some of the instructions you can give to your team as the manager.

Prevent Short GK Distribution DEFINITELY doesn't work. I have tried having that on, with Much Higher Defensive Line, Close Down Much More, Get Stuck In and Much Higher Tempo. The players DON'T close down the oppsoition enough. I want them ALWAYS getting at them, especially when we are losing with 5 minutes to go - but they don't. I want them closing down the goalkeeper as soon as he gets it, but they don't, they run off and leave him to it. I'd really like Neil Brock or someone else from SI to explain why this doesn't happen.

Archived