How do you keep Spain players fit ? ?

How do people keep players match fit managing in Spain ?

There is no reserve football, no-one over the age of 18 can play in the under 19's, the B team are a complete separate entity, so you cannot move players to them for a month to get fit

I am struggling big time. My 14/15 who I play a lot are fine, but for example back up keepers, 3rd choice strikers etc are totally unfit and never play any matches !

Any ideas?

Thats interesting, I've never played in Spain so never considered that.

How do they do it IRL? Can match fitness only increase by playing actual matches? Surely match fitness must be possible to simulate to some extent in training? Maybe not up to 100% but at least 80%?

You'll just have to deal with it. Playing fringe players in reserves where possible is much overused in FM compared to reality. If you have first team players who don't play often you'll just have to accept that they won't be fully fit when selected. It doesn't mean they can't play or won't be effective. It just has to be considered when selecting a team so you won't end up with 11 players all lacking fitness.

Rotate more and stop being so bothered about keeping players match fit, its really not as important as people make it out to be.

With good rotation you should be able to keep around 18-20 players match fit most of the time while the others hardly ever play so it not a problem.

What I do if you only have one match a week would be prioritise the main players - If I played 442 this would be one GK, two DLs, two DRs, three DCs, three MCs, two MLs, two MRs & three STs. Thats 18 players that you should have no problems keeping match fit with proper rotation. This means giving the second choice players a match once a month or so, as long as they aren't all in the same match it makes little difference overall.

The other 5/6 players in your squad won't be match fit but come in when you have injuries. Even if they are on the bench they still don't play much so its not an issue, the only time they'll play a significant amount is when one of your main 18 is out for a decent length of time in which case you just throw them in and they'll be match fit in a couple of games.

Rotate more and stop being so bothered about keeping players match fit, its really not as important as people make it out to be.

I don't agree with that from my experience (but thats only from my experience) because there is a very high amount of injuries in players with not enough match fitness. If I play 3-4 players with lower match fitness (65-70%) I see a much higher injury rate, as in almost never being able to do a tactical sub, only injury subs.

With good rotation you should be able to keep around 18-20 players match fit most of the time while the others hardly ever play so it not a problem.

I was wondering how much emphasis being unfit had on performance etc. Obviously it is fed into the "programming", so they won't perform as they should, but even maybe 2 players unfit against a quality side will have a huge impact in real life ... so surely same applies

No, because surprisingly, I actually want to do well and have a successful season ...

Managing the fitness & performance of a squad as a whole is part of managing a successful club.

If it was simply a case of picking the same 11 players every week + 7 subs clubs wouldn't have more than 18 players.

No, because surprisingly, I actually want to do well and have a successful season ...

I fail to see the problem...

In my save I won a quintuple in my last season. I would say that is somewhat successful... Won't you?

I did that by heavily rotating my squad.

Out of the 27 players I had in my first team squad only two players played in over 30 games. (My GK and my star striker)

13 players played in between 20 and 30 games.

7 players played in between 15 and 20 games. (Over half of those played in more then 15 games.)

5 players played 10 or less. (All youngsters that were given game time to improve. All 18 years or younger.)

I have a first-team squad of 22. Anyone else is either out on loan or in the U19s. For the most part I can keep the 22 match fit with rotation and sub apps. If someone's lacking though I arrange friendlies for the U19s and they're able to play in those.

I never use the B team for players I use in my first team, as hate seeing 'Valencia Mestalla' on their history as well as the first team!

I fail to see the problem...

In my save I won a quintuple in my last season. I would say that is somewhat successful... Won't you?

I did that by heavily rotating my squad.

Out of the 27 players I had in my first team squad only two players played in over 30 games. (My GK and my star striker)

13 players played in between 20 and 30 games.

7 players played in between 15 and 20 games. (Over half of those played in more then 15 games.)

5 players played 10 or less. (All youngsters that were given game time to improve. All 18 years or younger.)

What team do you play? For how long have you managed that team?

10 seasons in with Liverpool I could win the league with my reserve team only because my squad building is a trillion times better than any AI. I find it harder to rotate the first couple of seasons or if you play a team with lower standing.

10 seasons in with Liverpool I could win the league with my reserve team only because my squad building is a trillion times better than any AI. I find it harder to rotate the first couple of seasons or if you play a team with lower standing.

This exactly. Definitely echo those sentiments ...

If I rotate 2 players, for lesser and play a team of similar ilk or better, it is more than enough to guarantee me a defeat

Register some of your backup players for the B-team,

you can have up to 6 players from your B-team in your first team squad (in La Liga). :thup:

I'd seen this but wasn't sure if it meant your first team registered 25 man squad + these extra 6 ... can anyone confirm?

I never bother naming a 3rd keeper - just ensure you've got an adequate U19 one in case of injury

... plus if any player is out for more than 2 months then a replacement can be brought in immediately - a La Liga rule I think.

Which team are you managing in Spain Hudders?

Man Utd in 2022. I have been their manager the last 2 seasons. However I have relied on the same system with all my clubs.

Won two league titles and a cup with Alesund by doing the same. That was between 2014 and 2017.

Won 2 league titles, the copa libertadores, the Brazilian Cup and the Sao Paolo state twice with Corinthians. Between 2017- 2020

Spanish teams only have the one domestic cup tournament rather than the two in England

.... and this starts at the end of the year rather than the League cup in England which starts in Aug.

So you are reliant solely on League games for the first 2-3 months in Spain.

If you have a few U21 players then they can play in the U21 league in England to gain match fitness

... the age limit is 19 for Spain.

If this is a general question of squad rotation then fine

.. but there will be issues specific to playing in a certain league - Spain in this example

... just saying :)

Spanish teams only have the one domestic cup tournament rather than the two in England

.... and this starts at the end of the year rather than the League cup in England which starts in Aug.

So you are reliant solely on League games for the first 2-3 months in Spain.

If you have a few U21 players then they can play in the U21 league in England to gain match fitness

... the age limit is 19 for Spain.

If this is a general question of squad rotation then fine

.. but there will be issues specific to playing in a certain league - Spain in this example

... just saying :)

If a player is in my first team squad I never make them available for the reserves. Unless they are developing youngsters. (That would be the ones that have played 10 or less games.)

My way of playing worked with Aalesund in the Norwegian League. A league that has 16 teams only and one cup competition, and it worked in spain when I managed Valencia for half a season before I took charge of Man Utd.

The key is squad management. Make sure that you have cover for all positions, and make sure that you don't rotate so that you have a first team and a second string team. Play a mix of your best players and the backups in both starting teams.

That way your players stay match fit and both teams have about the same amount of good players and backups.

If a player is in my first team squad I never make them available for the reserves. Unless they are developing youngsters. (That would be the ones that have played 10 or less games.)

My way of playing worked with Aalesund in the Norwegian League. A league that has 16 teams only and one cup competition, and it worked in spain when I managed Valencia for half a season before I took charge of Man Utd.

The key is squad management. Make sure that you have cover for all positions, and make sure that you don't rotate so that you have a first team and a second string team. Play a mix of your best players and the backups in both starting teams.

That way your players stay match fit and both teams have about the same amount of good players and backups.

Couldn't agree more with this but I think the league you are in plus the club you manage will affect match fitness

.. if you have one game a week it'll be harder to maintain a squad of players with high levels of match fitness then if you have 2 games a week.

The need to rotate is crucial but if you're only playing once a week as a team the levels will soon drop much quicker than if you have 2 games a week won't they

If you are involved in the Champs League or Europa Cup as well then great - again match fitness as a result will be easier to maintain

I'd be interested to see if a club outside of Europe in England - Villa for example would struggle to maintain 20+ players on full match fitness .. especially after an early League cup exit :)

I have a squad of 25 plus about 7-10 decent U19s and they all maintain a decent level of fitness ... but like I said I ensure certain players aren't left kicking their heels for months on end by playing the U19s in the U19 games and/or giving the reserves game time when required.

There will always be weaker teams that you can draft in a few reserves when your playing against them .. unless you're the weaker team of course :D

Found this within the forum from a few years back re the additional 6 players ... in so much they aren't additional :)

You can use up to 6 players who have been registered with the B/C team, but only if you have room within the 25 slots for your La Liga registration, no matter what you can only use 25 players over 19 in your La Liga team. You can register free transfers if there is free space, and can make changes in Dec/Jan, but you can still only have 25 players registered at any one time.

Squad rotation teally isn't that difficult.

For a start, I'll usually have to make some changes just to account for injuries, lack of fitness, suspensions, poor form or international duty.

I usually don't like starting players below 93% fitness unless I absolutely have to. And if a sub comes on and makes a big impact I'll usually give them a chance in the next game, particualrly of the player who replaced them ha a stinker. Playing my form players usually gets better results than insisting on a settled side for the sake of it.

On top of that, I will likely give at least one younger player or squad player a start for all home games against teams outside the top 6, and May give two or three a chance if playing against lower league teams, low ranking European teams or teams fighting relegation in my own league.

So with all of that, it would be unusual for me to start with the same team for more than 2 games on a row - and rarely if ever in three games.

And my results don't tend to suffer or dip when I do rotate in that way. I've brought Leipzing from 2. Bundesliga (second tier) to leading Bayern by 5 with five games to go in my third season. So it's not like my squad management has held me back. If anything, it has helped because it means for every change I am forced to make I have a match fit replacement with good morale ready to step into his shoes.

Now perhaps if I had to put in a player with low moral and lacking match sharpness that might give rise to the problems you experience when you make changes. But since I tend not to have any of those given my rotation policy I will never know.

Squad rotation teally isn't that difficult.

For a start, I'll usually have to make some changes just to account for injuries, lack of fitness, suspensions, poor form or international duty.

I usually don't like starting players below 93% fitness unless I absolutely have to. And if a sub comes on and makes a big impact I'll usually give them a chance in the next game, particualrly of the player who replaced them ha a stinker. Playing my form players usually gets better results than insisting on a settled side for the sake of it.

On top of that, I will likely give at least one younger player or squad player a start for all home games against teams outside the top 6, and May give two or three a chance if playing against lower league teams, low ranking European teams or teams fighting relegation in my own league.

So with all of that, it would be unusual for me to start with the same team for more than 2 games on a row - and rarely if ever in three games.

And my results don't tend to suffer or dip when I do rotate in that way. I've brought Leipzing from 2. Bundesliga (second tier) to leading Bayern by 5 with five games to go in my third season. So it's not like my squad management has held me back. If anything, it has helped because it means for every change I am forced to make I have a match fit replacement with good morale ready to step into his shoes.

Now perhaps if I had to put in a player with low moral and lacking match sharpness that might give rise to the problems you experience when you make changes. But since I tend not to have any of those given my rotation policy I will never know.

I can handle it, but I generally find it harder the first couple seasons before I've made my mark on the squad with the right rotation/backup players. Thats all I'm saying.

Archived