Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2008 Season Update

Orn Hortens have won the Norwegian Second Division Group 1 on the last day of the season. They came from 12 point behind Moss with 10 games remaining. Moss only managed 4 point from their last 5 games how ever while Orn Hortens won their last 5.

gondoseason1gi7.th.jpg

To add salt to the wound of Moss who through away the league. Orn Hortens have signed their brilliant young keeper Elias Valderhaug who is currently in the Norway U19 Squad.

Time to get building for next season!

Originally posted by jameslowe:

2008 Season Update

Orn Hortens have won the Norwegian Second Division Group 1 on the last day of the season. They came from 12 point behind Moss with 10 games remaining. Moss only managed 4 point from their last 5 games how ever while Orn Hortens won their last 5.

gondoseason1gi7.th.jpg

To add salt to the wound of Moss who through away the league. Orn Hortens have signed their brilliant young keeper Elias Valderhaug who is currently in the Norway U19 Squad.

Time to get building for next season!

congratulations! icon14.gif great effort. that new keeper looks like he could be promising too. might have to have a look myself! icon_wink.gif

in my game, i'm top after 5 games, with a record of 4-1-0. scored 17 goals in the 5 games, and conceded 5, which i'm delighted with. Holmen has 7 in 6 games (inc. 3-2 cup win) and Madsen, the CB, has scored 5 goals as a result of the corner 'bug' - i'm not complaining though!! icon_biggrin.gif

i'm touching a big piece of wood as i say this, but i'm hopeful of a good season..........

Meldert, Belgium - November 6th 2029

Champions League Group Stage, matches 3+4:

A double encounter against Valencia was on the agenda - the second ranked team in Europe. We had only faced them twice before, in last year's group stage, and lost both, so anything we could get here would be a bonus.

Meldert - Valencia: 2-1

A deserved win. Valencia weren't quite as strong as I expected them to be, and we defended very well.

Valencia - Meldert: 4-1

A harsh score. We were the slightly better team in the first half, and the much better team in the last twenty minutes, but by then it was over. They came out of the dressing room "as if someone had said something to them."

Group table

Barring a major slip-up, we should be able to hang on to second place. And should we slip up, we're already certain of third place.

Originally posted by Gundo:

Congrats to NepentheZ, jameslowe on your relevant achievements. icon14.gif

Should I say; I hope I'm saying congrats to you Coach after your two remaining games... Good Luck. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Congrats to NepentheZ, jameslowe on your relevant achievements. icon14.gif

Should I say; I hope I'm saying congrats to you Coach after your two remaining games... Good Luck. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

We should be fine. As long as we beat whipping boys Legia Warsaw, we can afford a minor loss against PSV (anything less than 5-1) to still hold on to 2nd place.

And that's assuming PSV beat Valencia as well.

13/14 - Hetman Zamosc - Polish First Division

League Position - Champions

TABLE

Polish FA Cup - Quarterfinal (lost to relegated Widzew)

Polish League Cup - Winners

Polish Super Cup - Winners

Champions League - 3rd Qual. Rnd. (vs. Arsenal)

UEFA Cup - 1st Round (v. B. Jerusalem)

My Player of the Season - Lerato Mulaudzi

Overall a disappointing season at the OSiR, as winning the league for the fourth year on the trot hardly makes up for a poor year in the cups and Europe. While losing to Arsenal in the 3rd round is no shame, the UEFA Cup would have been a real chance to make some money and progress up the coefficient table. B. Jerusalem were favored, but I felt we should have beaten them. Also, losing in the quarters of the FA Cup to relegated Widzew was a particular disappointment.

The squad is another story. I keep buying from abroad as their is absolutely no Polish talent. The little there is seems to pop up in academies for the big teams abroad - and nobody's leaving the Bayern or Arsenal academy to play for me. I still haven't found a consistent striker - Chailis' 17 goals last term were not even matched this term, and Chailis himself backslid quite a bit this year, making much less impact. The kids I keep buying from Africa and Eastern Europe just aren't developing into anything more than good enough to win this crappy league. I did find a new goalkeeper though: Konate

It was pretty much a wash money wise. I spend a little and made a little and no European football of consequence meant no cash cows. The board are adding 2000 seats to the stadium in the summer, as well as making the 3rd training facilties upgrade in as many years - if I can consistently make the group stages of the UEFA cup at least, we should be well set for the future.

FINANCES

Here's this years info screen for Hetman Zamosc.

Table Info:

Domestic Title x4

Club coefficient 9.590, 229th, up 4

Nation coefficient 16.750, 22nd, up 3

Hetman Zamosc

2008/2009 - Polish Second Division - 10th, FA Cup - 1st round

2009/2010 - Polish Second Division - 1st, FA Cup - 3rd round

2010/2011 - Polish First Division - 1st, FA Cup - 2nd round, League Cup - Quarterfinals

2011/2012 - Polish First Division - 1st, FA Cup - Quarterfinal, League Cup - Semi Final, Champs League - 3rd Qualifying Round, UEFA Cup - 1st Round

2012/2013 - Polish First Division - 1st, FA Cup - Final, League Cup - Winners, Champions League - Group Stage

2013/2014 - Polish First Division - 1st, FA Cup - Quarterfinals, League Cup - Winners, Champions League - 3rd Qual. Rnd., UEFA Cup - 1st Round.

Have read through the thread from 14 February (day of new patch). And I have to say that I am impressed. This is a great challenge with great participants.

Reading some of it made me think back to the glory cm-days when it was possible to bring a lower team to the top in a few years.

As a Norwegian I have to say well done to cookie for winning champions league with Skjetten!! icon_eek.gif

They are not your everyday European big shots icon_biggrin.gif

I will follow the thread and wish you all good luck. Especially jameslowe who is managing Orn Horten, a team I have played against lots of times.

Did you know that Orn (or Ørn as it is in Norwegian means eagle?)

And that there are three other football teams in Horten, they are called Falcon (Falk), Vulture (Gribb) and Hawk (Hauk).

Something to impress with on your next Norwegian lower league trivia night.

I will try the challenge my self, starting in Ukraine, but atm there is not much time to play, so in the mean time I keep an eye on how you guys progress.

icon14.gif

We've kept 6 clean sheets after 9 league games so far in my opening season at Randaberg, the problem is though I'm just not scoring anywhere near as much as I'd like.

i'm kind of the other way a bit. as i said, 17 scored and 5 conceded in 5 league games so far! icon_eek.gif won my cup game 3-2 also, so so far, am average just over 3 goals a game, and conceding one.

what formation are you playing? are you getting plenty of chances which are missed, or are you not creating??

Originally posted by Taunton:

Have read through the thread from 14 February (day of new patch). And I have to say that I am impressed. This is a great challenge with great participants.

Reading some of it made me think back to the glory cm-days when it was possible to bring a lower team to the top in a few years.

As a Norwegian I have to say well done to cookie for winning champions league with Skjetten!! icon_eek.gif

I will follow the thread and wish you all good luck. Especially jameslowe who is managing Orn Horten, a team I have played against lots of times.

And that there are three other football teams in Horten, they are called Falcon (Falk), Vulture (Gribb) and Hawk (Hauk).

I will try the challenge my self, starting in Ukraine, but atm there is not much time to play, so in the mean time I keep an eye on how you guys progress.

icon14.gif

Good to hear you are enjoying the thread Taunton. icon14.gif

cookie's feat was indeed impressive, did you know he completed this challenge last year with Skjetten too.

You seem to have a good knowledge of Norwegian Football, where about in Norway are you from and what's your local team?

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

We've kept 6 clean sheets after 9 league games so far in my opening season at Randaberg, the problem is though I'm just not scoring anywhere near as much as I'd like.

I'm kind of the other way a bit. as i said, 17 scored and 5 conceded in 5 league games so far! icon_eek.gif won my cup game 3-2 also, so so far, am average just over 3 goals a game, and conceding one.

what formation are you playing? are you getting plenty of chances which are missed, or are you not creating?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My problems lies in two areas I think:

1. My strikers are of poor quality, although I might add one of them has 6 goals (but that's mainly because of his pace).

2. Like you mentioned, not enough chances for my liking. Maybe something like 10/12 per game. I'm lacking decent wingers and a creative star in midfield also.

Having stated all of the above, I am playing a slightly defensive 4-4-2 counter attacking system which seems to be working on and off atm. Maybe what I need is just one or two 'star' players.

Good to hear you are enjoying the thread Taunton. Thumbs Up

cookie's feat was indeed impressive, did you know he completed this challenge last year with Skjetten too.

You seem to have a good knowledge of Norwegian Football, where about in Norway are you from and what's your local team?

Originally from Larvik, but now I live in Kristiansand.

My local team was Tjølling,(3. division), but now I am next door neighbour to Sør Arena (Start).

Wild guess that you are from Rogaland? icon_razz.gif

Interesting to see how Randaberg does this season. Think they are up against Flekkerøy and MK.

I know they use to be good at volleyball icon_wink.gif

Good luck with your challenge, and again, excellent challenge you have started.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good to hear you are enjoying the thread Taunton. Thumbs Up

Originally from Larvik, but now I live in Kristiansand.

My local team was Tjølling,(3. division), but now I am next door neighbour to Sør Arena (Start).

Wild guess that you are from Rogaland? icon_razz.gif

Interesting to see how Randaberg does this season. Think they are up against Flekkerøy and MK.

I know they use to be good at volleyball icon_wink.gif

Good luck with your challenge, and again, excellent challenge you have started. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. I'm not from Norway, my great grandfather was from Stavanger hence my Norwegian surname. I'm a keen follower of Norwegian football and in particular clubs in around Stavanger. icon_smile.gif

Yeah irl hopefully Randaberg will do well in the Second divisjon grp.3. I think they can do as they seem to have the backing. icon14.gif

Hi all, late starter here! Just followed the instructions and have decided to go with the (Soon to be) mighty Gallivare - Malmbergets FF in the Swedish Second Division North. Every player is greyed out and we have no staff, should be a fun time ahead.

Club Info

Someone shout if I've done anything wrong there! Look forward to writing my end of first season update..

Onwards and Upwards!

Originally posted by AztecCrute:

Hi all, late starter here! Just followed the instructions and have decided to go with the (Soon to be) mighty Gallivare - Malmbergets FF in the Swedish Second Division North. Every player is greyed out and we have no staff, should be a fun time ahead.

Club Info

Someone shout if I've done anything wrong there! Look forward to writing my end of first season update..

Onwards and Upwards!

Best of luck Aztec. icon14.gif

I don't know if you are aware of a certain striker from the Swedish non-league, he was pretty good icon_biggrin.gif in last years challenge? It's cool if your a LLM though and I won't mention him in that case. If you do wish to know just let me know nd i'll name him. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AztecCrute:

Club Info

Onwards and Upwards!

I don't know if you are aware of a certain striker from the Swedish non-league, he was pretty good icon_biggrin.gif in last years challenge? It's cool if your a LLM though and I won't mention him in that case. If you do wish to know just let me know nd i'll name him. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not aware of this striker you speak of, please do name! I've done a fair bit of LLM but hardly use the forum in the past so don't know of any of these players who are well known to the community. I've also never managed in Sweden so this should be interesting!

Originally posted by AztecCrute:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AztecCrute:

Club Info

Onwards and Upwards!

I don't know if you are aware of a certain striker from the Swedish non-league, he was pretty good icon_biggrin.gif in last years challenge? It's cool if your a LLM though and I won't mention him in that case. If you do wish to know just let me know nd i'll name him. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not aware of this striker you speak of, please do name! I've done a fair bit of LLM but hardly use the forum in the past so don't know of any of these players who are well known to the community. I've also never managed in Sweden so this should be interesting! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His name... Patrik Burda. This challenge is sponsored by him (check out the bottom of the challenge guidelines). icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Scab:

Is this what you'd call a successful debut? icon_eek.gif

Just a friendly, but still... I knew he'd be good just by his attributes, but he's got 7 goals in 2 friendlies now. o_O Judging by his personality, I won't be able to hang on to him for long though. icon_frown.gif

He looks promising. icon14.gif

If he's still young enough why don't you try tutoring him by pairing him with a player that is loyal and see if that changes his personality?

If he's still young enough why don't you try tutoring him by pairing him with a player that is loyal and see if that changes his personality?

Looks like I've had him in the first team for too long to set up a tutor for him. That sounds like a good idea though -- I think I'll throw him back in the reserves for a bit and then pair him up with my 37-year-old AML/ST. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

Hmm, seems that my only aim left this season is to avoid setting a record low points total for the Swiss Super League. icon_rolleyes.gif

oh dear!

had thought that getting out of the CL was the main challenge and once you are in the SL and pro, it would be OK. it appears not. hell, i have no chance whenever the miracle of promotion happens icon_biggrin.gif.

at least you aren't the first to go straight down from the SL (and probably not the last either).

Well, I started this challenge in Sweden and one thing I've learned is not to over-reach, Swedish second division shouldn't be too hard to get out of, once you had a year to get a team together. But after that it gets harder, in my experience Division 1 N/S to Div 1 Elite is one hell off a step up. Just make sure your team is ready to compete at a higher level, mine wasn't and things fell apart after that one season. Slow and steady wins the race (but that's probably true in all countries).

...and get some fast strikers.

...or ignore this and get some advice from people who were actually succesfull in Sweden icon_smile.gif

Good Luck

Things are a little precarious at Randaberg at present. As well as being in the process of a board takeover (for the 2nd time this season) with the uncertainty that brings, I'm also not living up to Board expectations in the league because we are not challenging near the top yet.

If I don't get some forwards in during the transfer window, it may turn out to be very short stay at the Randaberg Stadion. icon_frown.gif

@Gundo: Europe has been a mixed bag for me - Yes, on the whole I'm finding it very hard - I made the group stages once and collected one point, but for the most part - I've only had trouble with big clubs; Arsenal, Valencia, etc. I do have a 2-0 over Arsenal and a 1-0 over Bayern, though both thrashed me at their place and stopped my progression. I'm miles away from winning the CL, I need some consistent group stage runs to increase my bank account and reputation before I can start signing, and more importantly developing the kinds of players who will see me succeed.

If I had to wager, I'd say I probably have 10-15 players with PAs over 170, obviously without a scout program I don't know - but most of them see a spike and then plateau, never to progress any further. I imagine if they did I'd have to sell them anyway. Until I can get my training facilities up to top and my rep to continental, I fail to see any way I can really compete even in a one off run the types that cookie, iacovone and CoachFlu have seen. I'd venture that in 5 years we can consistently make the group stages, 5 more years after that we might be able to consistently get out of them, once you reach that stage - luck can carry you to Final where anything can happen. I believe I can win here - I'm going to say sometime between 2025-2035 I'll at least make a CL Final, the only question is whether the game holds my interest that long. Thus far, its the most fun I've had playing FM, and for that matter any game in this series since CM 03/04 (which is still my favorite, for no reason I can really ascertain.)

There's a longwinded answer to your question.

Things are a little precarious at Randaberg at present. As well as being in the process of a board takeover (for the 2nd time this season) with the uncertainty that brings, I'm also not living up to Board expectations in the league because we are not challenging near the top yet.

If I don't get some forwards in during the transfer window, it may turn out to be very short stay at the Randaberg Stadion. icon_frown.gif

keep the fth Gundo - Randaberg was made for you!!

icon14.gif

Cool I like Eagles.

Will do better updates for you.

Meldert, Belgium - December 19th 2029

Mid-season table.

No undefeated season again, that went out the window pretty fast, but if that's the main worry, I can't complain. We had a few very poor matches, but in general the season is going according to plan. We're scoring well, and - with exception of those few poor matches - are defending well enough. I expect the gap with the teams behind us will get systematically larger as the season progresses.

Champions League, the last two group matches:

Legia - Meldert: 0-3

Legia had only managed to score once in the previous four matches, so I wasn't worried. Not a hugely memorable match, but job well done, and a top two spot secured.

Meldert - PSV: 2-2

A match without real importance, so I didn't play my strongest team - though not exactly a reserve team either.

We played a fine first half and ran out 2-0, but the second half was the complete opposite - a typical case of team talk hit and miss. I guess a draw was an acceptable result after a match like this.

Group table.

A good group stage, with no major slip-up after last year's Final appearance. Into the knockout rounds, so it's one match at a time now. We'll see how far we get.

Nice work CoachFlu.

4 matches through the group stage for Hetman, and the table looks like this:

Group E.

I mention this not because 4 points is the most Hetman has ever picked up, but because we managed to nick a 2-0 over Inter at fortress OSiR. The amazing thing is we could be second in this group pretty easily, we were up 2-0 at the San Siro on 70 minutes - then a dodgy penalty opened the floodgates at Stefan Kiebling scored a fluky treble to produce an unflattering 4-2 scoreline.

I've got Sporting at home, if I can nick a draw and beat Spartak in Russia, well, the possibilities. More likely, a draw in Russia should be enough to see me into the UEFA Cup.

Originally posted by pjtopor:

Nice work CoachFlu.

4 matches through the group stage for Hetman, and the table looks like this:

Group E.

I mention this not because 4 points is the most Hetman has ever picked up, but because we managed to nick a 2-0 over Inter at fortress OSiR. The amazing thing is we could be second in this group pretty easily, we were up 2-0 at the San Siro on 70 minutes - then a dodgy penalty opened the floodgates at Stefan Kiebling scored a fluky treble to produce an unflattering 4-2 scoreline.

I've got Sporting at home, if I can nick a draw and beat Spartak in Russia, well, the possibilities. More likely, a draw in Russia should be enough to see me into the UEFA Cup.

Looking good. icon14.gif Every point you pick up is good for your Euro ranking, which will help in the long run.

At the stage where I estimate your team is at, UEFA Cup can be a good thing, by the way, ranking-wise. Finishing third but surviving one or two rounds in the UEFA can get you more points than being demolished by one of the top teams in the first CL knockout round.

Same thing for the UEFA Cup group stage. I remember in my case, a few seasons ago, we finished top of our UEFA Cup group and then went out in the first knockout round, but still got more than twice as many coefficient points than the seasons before, where we scraped together a few points in the Champions League Group Stage.

For money though, Champions League is the way to go. icon_smile.gif

Even at the stage I'm at now (second seeds in the group), I kinda wouldn't have really minded if we had finished third in the group. I think we could have a chance at winning the UEFA Cup at our current level, while winning the Champions League will require a bit more luck.

Season 2012 Review - Gestrike-Hammarby IF in Swedish First Division Elite

All in all not a bad year, but a bit of a let-down considering what could have been.

League Table

Past Positions

Endlessly disappointed with the end to the season. Had so many chances to catch up again, but we were in our worst form. In the end, I couldn't even collect as many points as last year.

Squad

Transfers

Determined to cut down on the amount of loans, I ended up signing quite a lot of youngsters. Most of the team is now younger than 20.

Star Player

Unfortunately not as consistent a scorer as one might think, but I can't complain.

Club Coefficient: N/A

Nation Coefficient: 14.917 (25th)

Domestic Titles: 0

Going to sleep, hopefully to wake up less frustrated...

Ringstad was snapped up by Hodd in my game where he has been very disapointing and they are currently bottom of the First Division while I am sitting in 3rd.

The young keeper is doing very well.

Have also just realised that I am currently ground sharing with Moss the team I tipped to the title last year while my ground is extended by 2280 seats. Maybe thats why I am so skint!

Oh yes! icon_cool.gif

icon14.gif hopefully i'll be able to get him in too... as a side-issue, did you just get a picture of him for your game, or have you lots more? i've got the top two leagues from sortitoutsi.net, but wondered if you knew of anywhere else to get them... the same goes for the club badge.

Oh yes! icon_cool.gif

icon14.gif hopefully i'll be able to get him in too... as a side-issue, did you just get a picture of him for your game, or have you lots more? i've got the top two leagues from sortitoutsi.net, but wondered if you knew of anywhere else to get them... the same goes for the club badge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Second divisjon facepacks haven't been made for FM08 as fair as I'm aware? I'm scored FMNorge with no luck aswel.

All I did was get the pics off the net for my favorite players. I can send you Ringstad's and Myhre's via email if you'd like?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Oh yes! icon_cool.gif

icon14.gif hopefully i'll be able to get him in too... as a side-issue, did you just get a picture of him for your game, or have you lots more? i've got the top two leagues from sortitoutsi.net, but wondered if you knew of anywhere else to get them... the same goes for the club badge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Second divisjon facepacks haven't been made for FM08 as fair as I'm aware? I've scoured FMNorge with no luck aswel.

All I did was get the pics off the net for my favorite players. I can send you Ringstad's and Myhre's via email if you'd like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Oh yes! icon_cool.gif

The Second divisjon facepacks haven't been made for FM08 as fair as I'm aware? I've scoured FMNorge with no luck aswel.

All I did was get the pics off the net for my favorite players. I can send you Ringstad's and Myhre's via email if you'd like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'd be great thanks. i've got pretty much everything going already then. just chcking not missed anything...

Oh yes! icon_cool.gif

All I did was get the pics off the net for my favorite players. I can send you Ringstad's and Myhre's via email if you'd like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that'd be great thanks. i've got pretty much everything going already then. just chcking not missed anything... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sent. icon14.gif

The graphics I'm missing now and I don't believe are available is: Second divisjon facepacks, Third divisjons small/background badge logos (I just have the medium standard ones currently).

So... gutted.

Group E

We did everything we could - beating Spartak in Moscow and Sporting at home - but Inter squeak through on goal difference. I suppose if you told me at the beginning we'd be alive for a UEFA Cup run in the Winter I'd have taken it, but the boys played so well. If only I could have held that lead at the San Siro.

Archived