Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Gundo glad to see I was not the only one who struggled t get out of the first decision. Have not played for few weeks but will start up again now.

First division has to be the hardest league in the game for a low rep side. Turning pro makes survival in the Prem easier then getting to the Prem.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Gundo, i know what you mean. i'm sure i'm about to curse it but with 11 games to go i'm up to third, on the back of a 9 game winnig run icon_eek.gif Ighalo is now averaging a goal a game.

sure i can't keep it up but her's hoping.....

Why do i do it?? why?? icon_mad.gif

next game, at home, we lose 1-0. ringstad misses a penalty, Ighalo is taken off with strained knee ligaments to keep him out for up to two months, and we have a late equaliser disallowed for offside

AAARGH!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that feeling. I'm yet to play my next game, so we'll see what happens in abit. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jameslowe:

Gundo glad to see I was not the only one who struggled t get out of the first decision. Have not played for few weeks but will start up again now.

First division has to be the hardest league in the game for a low rep side. Turning pro makes survival in the Prem easier then getting to the Prem.

Even though we are looking pretty good to go up this season, I know it can change in an instance. I promise not to mention promotion again until it actually happens... icon_biggrin.gif

Here is my history so far.

2008 Second Division Group 1 1st P26 W17 D2 L7 F63 A39 GD24 Pts.53

2009 First Division 3rd P30 W20 D3 L7 F67 A35 GD32 Pts.63

2010 First Division 6th P30 W14 D7 L9 F66 A47 GD19 Pts.49

2011 First Division 2nd P30 W21 D5 L4 F70 A39 GD41 Pts.68

2012 Premier Division 9th P26 W8 D7 L11 F43 A54 GD-11 Pts.31

Norwegian Cup Runners Up 2010 and 2012

Currently 9th again in the Premier Division after 18 games and in the cup Quarter Final against Rosenberg.

Originally posted by jameslowe:

Here is my history so far.

2008 Second Division Group 1 1st P26 W17 D2 L7 F63 A39 GD24 Pts.53

2009 First Division 3rd P30 W20 D3 L7 F67 A35 GD32 Pts.63

2010 First Division 6th P30 W14 D7 L9 F66 A47 GD19 Pts.49

2011 First Division 2nd P30 W21 D5 L4 F70 A39 GD41 Pts.68

2012 Premier Division 9th P26 W8 D7 L11 F43 A54 GD-11 Pts.31

Norwegian Cup Runners Up 2010 and 2012

Currently 9th again in the Premier Division after 18 games and in the cup Quarter Final against Rosenberg.

I'm just loading my save up now, it will be interesting to compare my points totals to yours in those seasons I haven't been promoted from the first.

UGS - Challenge League - 16/17

Winter Break

Mainitaining of status quo was the objective. Promotion already beyond hope.

3 players came in during the break, more than expected. First up was a Servette AMC I signed in October who was to arrive in the transfer window. He did arrive but he had also managed to break his leg 5 days previously icon_rolleyes.gif so he would play no part. Another DC and a great GK followed him in (legs intact thankfully). Was happy enough with the GKs I had but this one was apparently twice as good as any I had so was not about to turn him down. He came up thru the Marseille youth system (assume he exists as he is not a regen), and played at Sparta Prague and Thun after.

On the outgoing side I managed to flog another MC for more than he was worth, £50k.

Anyway, simple to sum up again, 10 wins, 2 defeats, the defeats were against Delemont and a horror show at home to Kriens, the wins were standard apart from an impressive victory over Aarau and a complete horsing of Yverdon.

So we end up where we started in 4th place. And apart from a couple of weeks that is where we were for most of the second half of the season.

I'd be pretty ****ed off if I was Sion, unbeaten and yet still only 3rd.

4th is about right, as I mentioned previously, we beat most teams we should beat and lose to most we should lose to; it is those matches with Kriens, La Chaux-de-Fonds etc. that make the difference. Both Kriens (again) and Sion did the double over us, the former are seemingly becoming a bogey team. Record number of goals but could do with conceding a few less goals, our GD was only just a bit better.

Aarau lost the playoff so stay up while Servette came down which means:

a) there are no French speaking teams in the top flight

b) it is highly unlikely Guichard will come here for a 7th season

c) 4th might be the best we can hope for next season as Servette are down after 7 seasons in the SL (including the title 4 years ago) so their squad will be stupidly good, and Aarau and Sion are liable to be just as good next season again

Final Squad

Summary

Transfers

Some of the better players were:

Best Defender - Stefan Schwarz - second season here and very quietly went about his business very efficiently, rarely did anything noteworthy but played well and consistently, no reason why he can't continue

Best Midfielder - David Schmidt - came from Schaffhausen 18m ago and I have worked out that he is probably our best midfielder, got a great long shot on him and is very influential in the middle of the pitch, tempted to chuck him back to DMC for the harder matches next season

Best Ridiculously Fantastic Winger - Martin Brode - well, what can you say? a goal or assist a game, record number of assists, many a DR is having nightmares about him, can't recall a better season from a winger on FM for a long while, he can't keep it up next season, surely...

Second Best Winger - Sebastien Michael - in an ordinary season, I'd be raving about how awesome he was, in a season with Brode, I can only say that he was very good and provided a fair number of assists, if they can perform similarly next season it should be fun

Best Striker - Arnaud Maric - 35 goals in 32 games is nothing to complain about, even better than last season, he started a bit slowly but was ridiculously good after the Winter Break, just like last season, nobody is showing the slightest interest in him so I hope he will be here for a lot longer

Second Best Striker - Franz Sutter - a few less goals but still contributed to near to a goal a game, not half as good as Maric so he is liable to be replaced if something Maric-esque comes thru the door, otherwise another season of the same please

Summer needs are a 3rd (or 2nd) choice striker as my current one has decided to leave after one season (and 9 goals). I was not amused although I suppose it is my fault for not renewing his contract sooner. Any semblance of fullback cover would be nice as well; Schwarz is great but I am not too sure about Jovanovic so if I can get a great first choice DL that would be even better. Any improvements elsewhere will obviously not be turned down

Best Eleven 16/17

Overall Best Eleven - finally some changes in defence as 3 of the current crop come in

08/09 - Challenge League - 14th

09/10 - Challenge League - 15th

10/11 - Challenge League - 13th

11/12 - Challenge League - 11th

12/13 - Challenge League - 11th

13/14 - Challenge League - 9th

14/15 - Challenge League - 13th

15/16 - Challenge League - 4th

16/17 - Challenge League - 4th

I'm looking to have my third attempt at this (after the first two were majorly unsuccessful).

The trouble is I find it hard to get into as I never know the right club to go for. I want a challenge but I don't want it to be extremely hard or easy.

I'm just looking for a point in the right direction as to which nation I should go for.

Originally posted by ridleys:

I'm looking to have my third attempt at this (after the first two were majorly unsuccessful).

The trouble is I find it hard to get into as I never know the right club to go for. I want a challenge but I don't want it to be extremely hard or easy.

I'm just looking for a point in the right direction as to which nation I should go for.

Northern Ireland is a bit of both, the league is really easy but Europe is almost impossible.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

Northern Ireland is a bit of both, the league is really easy but Europe is almost impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have a look at Belgium I think. If I fail at that then i'll go for N Ireland icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

Northern Ireland is a bit of both, the league is really easy but Europe is almost impossible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not impossible, you just have to murder everyone outside of the league first .!

After a bit (well large) break from FM, I've decided to come back to it again and to this challenge.

Latest patch is downloaded and the game is holidaying in Austria. No idea what its like there but hopefully should be a bit different from my Northern Irish exploits previously.

Will update when I have a club, screenshots and remember my photobucket login!

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Gundo, i know what you mean. i'm sure i'm about to curse it but with 11 games to go i'm up to third, on the back of a 9 game winnig run icon_eek.gif Ighalo is now averaging a goal a game.

sure i can't keep it up but her's hoping.....

Why do i do it?? why?? icon_mad.gif

next game, at home, we lose 1-0. ringstad misses a penalty, Ighalo is taken off with strained knee ligaments to keep him out for up to two months, and we have a late equaliser disallowed for offside

AAARGH!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that feeling. I'm yet to play my next game, so we'll see what happens in abit. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

played a couple more games since and picked up a tad. game crashed on me which paniced me a lot, and FM wouldn't work at first... icon_redface.gif thankfully it's back and i only lost a day. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok after a few restarts to look for an appealing team I have gone for SV Grodig, otherwise known as Grodig.

Small stadium, no facilities, no staff, media prediction of 12th (in a 12 club league). I do seem to have some players, if they are any good I have no idea what so ever!

There seem to be foreign restrictions on this league so better make sure I remember them and also mandatory to name 3 u21 players in match dayy squad.

This is going to be interesting, chairmen expects me to battle bravely against relegation and I have agreed with him.

Club info screen

Yeah, I think Poland is actually one of the easier leagues to win with, there's no domestic player requirements or work permit issues to deal with at all, so I got a lot of players before most of the other Euro leagues would be able to use them. Also, Eastern Europe seems to get a lot of good regens for whatever reason, any super good regens in the UK & Ireland are going to go the Prem. In Poland, the regional hub league is Germany, which is much weaker.

Maybe I'll have to try the challenge in a harder league as I've had a hard time getting excited about another save.

Tandragee Update - Season 2 (2036/37)

To begin.....

A news item appeared, letting the world know that Knockbreda FC may not be able to hang on to the manager (Formerly my assistant). Craig Douglas was hotly linked to the job. icon_smile.gif

THE NEW PAUL WALLACE???? pt2

Paul Wallace - Season 2

Paul had a good second season, scoring an impressive 32 goals, (1 better than the previous season) for a team that was widely expected to flop.

Keith Steed

An AMAZING season for the 18 year old striker, scoring an impressive 73 goals in only his second season for the club, taking the young strikers tally to 101 in his career. Although Bermudan by birth, Steede already has a number of Caps under his belt for the English U-19 squad, and is attracting a lot of interest from big clubs!

End of Season Update

Media Prediction - 12th

Final League Position - 1st

Irish Cup - 6th Round

Intermediate Cup - Quater Final

Mid Ulster Cup - Winner \o/

Intermediate League Cup - Runner Up

N. Irish 1st Div. - Table | Graph

Best Elevens - Overall | Season

Mis Ulster Cup Final

6-4 AET.! - What a Victory.! 4-1 DOWN at Half Time, and I assumed it was all over.! How wrong I was. I got a mass of praise after the game. Also beat an NIP team 11-0 on the way to the final. icon_cool.gif

Other Info

Finances

Team Info

Manager Info

Manager Overview

Player Records

Team Records

Manager Profile

Team Stats

Players of the Season

Robinson - A great return of goals from the young striker, scoring 42 goals in 30 games, and amassing an impressive 18 assists.

Steede - What a player. Every time he scores, Paul Wallace rings true in my head. He's eclipsing his records in an arguably WORSE set up than Wallace had. Great effort.

The dream is over for Steede

icon_frown.gif

Aston Villa bid £250,000 + 25% of next sale, and for the second time in 3 years, the board accepted the bid. (Didn't happen once as Knockbreda Manager). I'm very annoyed, as he was just about to sign a new 4 year Professional deal. icon_frown.gif

icon_mad.gif

Hopefully He'll get sold on for millions, and I get a fair whack of profit, 'cos I wouldn't have sold him for less than £3,000,000 myself.

*sigh*

Project 1

In light of Steede being sold from under my nose, I'm wondering just how much of an impact performance has on a player with low rep. I've taken the best player from my youth ranks this season, (Who, is pants icon_biggrin.gif) and dubbed him "Project 1". He will come on from the bench when games are sewn up, or when players are injured. The idea is, to see how much I can sell him for if clubs become interested through me playing him a lot. He is currently an AML but I will train him to an ST too, so his goals get him noticed. He means nothing to the team, so even 50k would be nice. icon_biggrin.gif

I will keep you updated with his progress.

Project 1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Storslått Ringstad! icon_smile.gif

man is a legend... he's done that for me once too. note also you've got Jamil Fearrington. is he as much of a rock at the back for you as he is for me? how long have you had him?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the start of the 2009 season. He has been very impressive at center half alongside Acker, they've formed a formidable partnership at the back and have thus been there since our days in the 2.divisjon. icon14.gif

Jamil Farrington.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Project 1

In light of Steede being sold from under my nose, I'm wondering just how much of an impact performance has on a player with low rep. I've taken the best player from my youth ranks this season, (Who, is pants icon_biggrin.gif) and dubbed him "Project 1". He will come on from the bench when games are sewn up, or when players are injured. The idea is, to see how much I can sell him for if clubs become interested through me playing him a lot. He is currently an AML but I will train him to an ST too, so his goals get him noticed. He means nothing to the team, so even 50k would be nice. icon_biggrin.gif

I will keep you updated with his progress.

Project 1

interesting idea, Nep - will be interesting to see how it pans out. As for Steede, it's a shame you've lost him. i'm sure one of the factors was that he's 'english' and not n. ireland... mad him more noticeable i guess.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Storslått Ringstad! icon_smile.gif

man is a legend... he's done that for me once too. note also you've got Jamil Fearrington. is he as much of a rock at the back for you as he is for me? how long have you had him?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the start of the 2009 season. He has been very impressive at center half alongside Acker, they've formed a formidable partnership at the back and have thus been there since our days in the 2.divisjon. icon14.gif

Jamil Farrington. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

his record is pretty similar to mine by the looks of it. got a couple more goals for me though. i picked him up a year earlier than you i think - he's my number 1 defender and will talke a lot to get him out of the team.

my only problem is that he picks up a few yellows, which means he's banned for a game every time he's booked now icon_frown.gif

almost finished season now - suffice to say it'll be another season in the First division...

Ouch

Just can't see my team ever being able to compete with teams like that.

It's hard, but eventually you get on a closer level, and get a lucky win here and there. You need a LOT of luck to go through the CL Group stages though, starting with something I never had. An easy Group.... icon_frown.gif

You're only in 2019, and have already beaten (or are on the way to beating) a lot of my records, yet it wasn't until about 2030 and beyond that I felt I could get closer in Europe, even making it to the 1st round AFTER the Group Stages of the UEFA Cup.

Good Luck icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Ouch

It's hard, but eventually you get on a closer level, and get a lucky win here and there. You need a LOT of luck to go through the CL Group stages though, starting with something I never had. An easy Group.... icon_frown.gif

You're only in 2019, and have already beaten (or are on the way to beating) a lot of my records, yet it wasn't until about 2030 and beyond that I felt I could get closer in Europe, even making it to the 1st round AFTER the Group Stages of the UEFA Cup.

Good Luck icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's frustrating because it seems like my team is going backwards at the moment, a couple of season ago I made it to the 2nd ko round in the UEFA Cup after finishing 3rd in my group, I'm finding it much harder now.

On the positive side, I was 3rd seeds this year instead of 4th, although I ended up with AC Milan, Schalke and Nantes which is one of the hardest groups I've ever had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Ouch

Good Luck icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's frustrating because it seems like my team is going backwards at the moment, a couple of season ago I made it to the 2nd ko round in the UEFA Cup after finishing 3rd in my group, I'm finding it much harder now.

On the positive side, I was 3rd seeds this year instead of 4th, although I ended up with AC Milan, Schalke and Nantes which is one of the hardest groups I've ever had. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Yea, I got Juventus almost every season. I wished for teams like CSKA Moscow, or any of the Greek/Dutch teams, because in Qual. Rounds, I did much better against them.

I know what you mean about the frustration though, which is why I nearly gave it all up. Currently in my third season with Tandragee, and while NOT under my management, Knockbreda seem to be doing much better in CL, currently looking good to qualify from the group, and they made it to the Quaters of the UEFA Cup last season. They have bought a lot of players from Prem's "Lower" teams too (Sunderland, West Ham, Fulham etc) for £3-£5 mill, yet I could never buy those sort of people when I was manager icon_frown.gif

I'm getting a LOT of good players from Monserrat, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Barbados though, young players, who look really promising. I do wonder why they get good regens from these nations though, and not N. Ireland, England, Brazil etc.

Ah, also, I'm assuming you are Professional now... if so, what are your scouting options? and Coach limits too. (Have they ever increased?)

We've been pro for a few years now, I can send my three scouts anywhere in Europe but I'm only allowed three coaches which is a bit annoying.

I have £43m in the bank icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Ah, also, I'm assuming you are Professional now... if so, what are your scouting options? and Coach limits too. (Have they ever increased?)

We've been pro for a few years now, I can send my three scouts anywhere in Europe but I'm only allowed three coaches which is a bit annoying.

I have £43m in the bank icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never got over £20,000,000 icon_frown.gif

Was also allowed 3 coaches, but I could scout ALMOST worldwide icon_cool.gif

I had a few players out on international duty, so I thought I'd let my assman take control for the league cup semi final to see who he picked. The idiot went and fielded a team full of youngsters and trialists from the reserves, losing the match 3-0. He rested my entire first team icon_mad.gif

dlnwba86 - Afan Lido - Wales - Season 3

For the majority of the season i was battling it out for the top spot, but a disgraceful run of form in the last ten or so games completely ruined my chances and we ended up 4th, just missing out on Europe.

League Table (4th)

I now feel that i have a squad capable of qualifying for Europe next year, but with the likes of TNS and Llanelli, the 2 pro clus in this league, signing up lots of released youngsters from England, i can't sign them because i can't scout there yet. Very frustrating.

Hopefully i can pick up some quality freebies in the pre season as i have no money and try to get into Europe, hopefully then things can only get better.

I had a few players out on international duty, so I thought I'd let my assman take control for the league cup semi final to see who he picked. The idiot went and fielded a team full of youngsters and trialists from the reserves, losing the match 3-0. He rested my entire first team icon_mad.gif

that's gotta irrita!! i'd be tempted to sack him on the spot.... icon_biggrin.gif

that's gotta irritate!! i'd be tempted to sack him on the spot.... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif

Grodig, Austria

Ok, I know this challenge is all about slow and steady, but I am having no enjoyment losing week after week, and even losing my friendlies set up in the winter break.

I have won 1 friendly and drawn a few matches so far this season, and to me its not fun, and I wont survive the drop anyway.

As a result my mind is wandering to cooler shores of Scandinavia. Contemplating Sweden or Norway. Any thoughts?

Newtown YMCA 2010/2011 - Season 3

We're going backwards - finished 3rd this year (suprisingly TNS came first).

We were expected to come 5th (still not strong enough to topple TNS but getting there - their top striker was sold to Boro so perhaps next season will be closer).

Finances were bolstered by our UEFA cup game against Greek side Aris. We did lose 10-3 over the two legs but beating them at home was a good start to our campaign.

Intertoto cup for us this year, hopefully an easy game will enable us to get a bit of money out of it.

Strikers were again on top form, which has alerted clubs such as Nott Forest, Plymouth and Coventry. How long I can fend them off remains to be seen.

Squad had a few new faces (GK released from Swansea and an ex-Port Vale trainee)

What will this season bring? Euro heartache and 2nd/3rd place most probably...perhaps I will even be given some transfer funds!

Originally posted by happy slappy:

I like Sweden, quite easy to progress through the leagues, and Norway seems to be very popular with this version.

I'd go for Sweden.

Having glanced at the league rules for both countries, I am preferring the look of Sweden, hence I am now holidaying. I know I managed there for a long game years ago, so should be able to get to grips with this game (once I find a club that can get me past season 1!).

VMA IK, Sweden - 2nd Division SG - 2008 - intro

Well having given up after half a season in Austria, I have ended up in Sweden, and managing a little known club called VMA IK (there is a full swedish name, but I cant even hope to pronounce it).

The club was founded in 2002, and has a 1400 capacity stadium. Modest expectations to stay in the division, despite no players in any of the 3 squads so I have a completely blank canvas to work with.

Now this seems like a challenge I can relish.

VMA IK Info Screen

Originally posted by KLH84:

Newtown YMCA 2010/2011 - Season 3

We're going backwards - finished 3rd this year (suprisingly TNS came first).

We were expected to come 5th (still not strong enough to topple TNS but getting there - their top striker was sold to Boro so perhaps next season will be closer).

Finances were bolstered by our UEFA cup game against Greek side Aris. We did lose 10-3 over the two legs but beating them at home was a good start to our campaign.

Intertoto cup for us this year, hopefully an easy game will enable us to get a bit of money out of it.

Strikers were again on top form, which has alerted clubs such as Nott Forest, Plymouth and Coventry. How long I can fend them off remains to be seen.

Squad had a few new faces (GK released from Swansea and an ex-Port Vale trainee)

What will this season bring? Euro heartache and 2nd/3rd place most probably...perhaps I will even be given some transfer funds!

Woe is me - my board have just sold my most consistent player for 250k to Bristol City.

Lovely to have the money, but can I replace him with anyone other than 5yr old Welsh people with no feet or skill? No...

No more today, i'll break my laptop otherwise.

Archived