Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Originally posted by Gilbster:

VMA IK, Sweden - 2nd Division SG - 2008 - intro

Well having given up after half a season in Austria, I have ended up in Sweden, and managing a little known club called VMA IK (there is a full swedish name, but I cant even hope to pronounce it).

The club was founded in 2002, and has a 1400 capacity stadium. Modest expectations to stay in the division, despite no players in any of the 3 squads so I have a completely blank canvas to work with.

Now this seems like a challenge I can relish.

VMA IK Info Screen

good luck in Scandanavia Gilbster - it's a great place to be!!

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portglenon - Season 08/09 - Northern Irish Second Division

Oh my! PROMOTION!!!

As seen here we went up on goal difference! I was a point behind Annagh before the last round of matches, where I drew 0-0 and thought I was down and out. However I had eight news messages waiting after the match, including this, this and this which was quite nice!

The finances are really, really, REALLY bad, 72k Euros in the red and falling. Despite this it looks like I might get a new deal through the promotion.

My best player was This Guy and my keeper did his fair share of getting us promoted. Only one of my players has had bids come in for him but the bugger refuses to leave, even if it would set our balance straight. Now I'll just hope for some huge money out of the blue and try to kick on!

Randaberg IL - Norwegian Adeccoligaen 2013 (Season 6)

1.divisjon - Champions.

Norwegian Cup - 2nd Round.

After an unsatisfactory early wobble in our first couple of games in the 2013 campaign we progressed and went on an impressive run. This same run was an incredible 26 match unbeaten run in the league which rarely seen us dislodged from top spot. Defensively we where more or less the same as previous couple of season (fairly solid), but the place where we really got it together was in the goals for column. icon14.gif

I hadn't brought in loads of new players in the closed season, partially because I was quietly confident with what I had and secondly because there wasn't much out there anyway willing to sign for us. So only one signing was made and his name; Aleksander Borander. I think maybe he was the missing cog and once installed in the first 11 and he consistently performed well for us.

Of the rest... Well where would I be without Ringstad and Myhre. Per Christian Myhre was the most impressive of the two and the more consistent if I'm honest. Stian was weighed down by one or two niggling injuries during the course of the season which stopped him from gaining any sort of consistency, nether the less he still played his part. I tip Myhre to pip him to the fans player of the year though for the first time in 5 seasons.

The adventure so far...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Year Pos. League Acheivement

2013 1st Adeccoligaen - Champions!

2012 3rd Adeccoligaen - Play-off defeat.

2011 3rd Adeccoligaen - Play-off defeat.

2010 5th Adeccoligaen -

2009 1st 2.divisjon - Champions!

2008 3rd 2.divisjon - </pre>

Tippeligaen awaits... icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

Randaberg IL - Norwegian Adeccoligaen 2013 (Season 6)

1.divisjon - Champions.

Norwegian Cup - 2nd Round.

After an unsatisfactory early wobble in our first couple of games in the 2013 campaign we progressed and went on an impressive run. This same run was an incredible 26 match unbeaten run in the league which rarely seen us dislodged from top spot. Defensively we where more or less the same as previous couple of season (fairly solid), but the place where we really got it together was in the goals for column. icon14.gif

I hadn't brought in loads of new players in the closed season, partially because I was quietly confident with what I had and secondly because there wasn't much out there anyway willing to sign for us. So only one signing was made and his name; Aleksander Borander. I think maybe he was the missing cog and once installed in the first 11 and he consistently performed well for us.

Of the rest... Well where would I be without Ringstad and Myhre. Per Christian Myhre was the most impressive of the two and the more consistent if I'm honest. Stian was weighed down by one or two niggling injuries during the course of the season which stopped him from gaining any sort of consistency, nether the less he still played his part. I tip Myhre to pip him to the fans player of the year though for the first time in 5 seasons.

The adventure so far...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Year Pos. League Acheivement

2013 1st Adeccoligaen - Champions!

2012 3rd Adeccoligaen - Play-off defeat.

2011 3rd Adeccoligaen - Play-off defeat.

2010 5th Adeccoligaen -

2009 1st 2.divisjon - Champions!

2008 3rd 2.divisjon - </pre>

Tippeligaen awaits... icon_cool.gif

congrats Gundo!! icon14.gif well done. good luck next season. Borander looks like a decent player. good to see Myhre playing well for you - yet to really click for me

have just finished my first season in the Adeccoligaen, finishing 6th. report will follow.

bust trying to strengthen for next year at moment...

Tandragee Update - Season 3 (2037/38)

To begin.....

New Stadium.! - It's being named after some random favorite person on the clubs list. (Shame it wasn't me.!) Only just over 2500 seat, but much bigger than what I'm currently working with.!

End of Season Update

Media Prediction - 16th

Final League Position - 3rd \o/

Irish Cup - Semi-Final

Mid Ulster Cup - 1st Round

League Cup - Quarter-Final

N. Irish Prem League - Graph | Table

Best Elevens - Season | Overall

Co-Efficients - N. Ireland - 15th | Tandragee - 325th

Other Info

Manager Profile

Manager Overview

Manager Info

Team Info Screen

Finances

Player Records

Team Records

Team Stats (Season)

Awards

Craig Douglas - Manager of the Year, 3rd Place

Robinson - Top Goal Scorer, 34 Goals. (League Only)

Players of the Season

Cook - The young striker did well again this season. Didn't play too regularly, but is only young, and his stats are improving nicely.

Smith (GK) - The goaly got 10 goals this season, he's easily one of the best players in my team too.!

Season Summary

We'll, what can I say. Very impressive. Only got UEFA Cup football after a hard fought season, but the 2 top teams, (Knockbreda and Linfield) are the only PRO team in the division, and won it by a mile. Portadown fought me hard, but on the last day of the season, I stole 3rd spot, after we both managed to lose icon_biggrin.gif Cups were ok, the board were unhappy with the Mid-Ulster Cup performance, but delighted elsewhere. As I imagined with my confidence expectations, it would be easy, and I achieved it already.! icon_biggrin.gif

Hopefully a stronger defense and mid-field next season will see me into the Champs League.

Project 1 Update - End of 1st Season

Project 1

Not a great season. icon_cool.gif

3 goals and 9 assists in 30 matches, although he played most of them at AML until his ST position appears.

At the start, all my Coaches and Scouts rated him */* - but now most of them rate him **/*** and some even ***/***, with my P.A Specific Scout rating him ***/****

His value rose from £0 to £2,000 - but no one is interested in him yet. The fact that he is English could play a big part in any transfers.

I've set up a training program for him, to get his technical stats up, (as physically hes actually not bad), but there seemed to be NO improvement over the season. I will offer him a professional contract this season, so he trains full time, and hope that it makes a difference.

Rasharkin - Northern Irish 2nd Division - 08/09 (Season 1)

So.. after my Belgium attempt was a complete failure, I am going to try my luck in Northern Ireland with newly promoted Rasharkin. The good news is I am actually in to this game and the team is actually pretty decent. Anyway before I start with the update I better put my manager profile.

Media Prediction: 11th

My Prediction: 6th

I better start with the pointless cups that are played during pre-season and during the first few weeks/months of the season (deending on how far you get). I didn't really focus on cup games too much as well I was more concentrated on getting the club a decent league position.

Intermediate League Cup: Finished 6th out of 6 in group 4, winning just 1 game and losing the rest.

Irish Cup: Knocked out in the 1st round by non league side, Donard Hospital.

Antrim Trophy: Knocked out in the 3rd round by First Division side Carrick.

Intermediate cup: Knocked out in the 2nd found by Larne Tech OC, a non league team.

Now, with the cups out of the picture it was time to concentrate on the league. I got off to a poor start picking up just 5 points from my first 5 games, leaving my side down in 9th position. I then had a small run going unbeaten for 6 league games, including a phenomenal 9 - 0 win against QUB, moving my lads swiftly up to 3rd in the table by christmas. Things were running smoothly now, apart from the finances which the board were getting more and more frustrated over each month as the club was losing around £10,000 per month, even with a new chairman. Things carried on strongly though and my team were pushing for promotion for the remainder of the season. We eventually finished in a fantastic 2nd place and had gained the 'unlikely' promotion into the Northern Irish First Division.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Player of the Season: Noel Johnston - played fantastically throughout the season getting 15 goals and 7 assists.

Signing of the Season: Mark Lennox - signed on a free transfer after he had played on loan for us for 3 months. Played extremely well and his performances were very consistent.

Game of the Season: QUB 0 - 9 Rasharkin - The scorline say's it all really.

The Career So Far..

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Year Division Position Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D Pts

08/09 Northern Irish Second Division 2nd 22 11 5 6 40 26 +14 38</pre>

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Great update ridleys. Welldone on promotion.! It's just as easy in NI1 too icon_wink.gif

icon_biggrin.gif I'm just about to start the season now. I haven't strengthened the squad much as the potential was pretty good anyway. Back to back promotions may not be that hard to get then icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Great update ridleys. Welldone on promotion.! It's just as easy in NI1 too icon_wink.gif

icon_biggrin.gif I'm just about to start the season now. I haven't strengthened the squad much as the potential was pretty good anyway. Back to back promotions may not be that hard to get then icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember, something that helps me massively. Search for this specifically....

"Unattached" and Age "Is at most" 17

Scout the ones you can, and offer trials to the ones you cant. You will be amazed at the amount of talent you find.!

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

icon_biggrin.gif I'm just about to start the season now. I haven't strengthened the squad much as the potential was pretty good anyway. Back to back promotions may not be that hard to get then icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember, something that helps me massively. Search for this specifically....

Scout the ones you can, and offer trials to the ones you cant. You will be amazed at the amount of talent you find.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip icon_biggrin.gif although only 4 players came up in the search icon_biggrin.gif

VMA IK, Swedish Second Division SG - 2008

First season in charge led me to have to make sweeping changes to the squad. Well I started with 0 players so, producing a squad was a good plan. Just about managed to get staff and players in time for the season, just didnt know how good any of them were.

Well the players pleasantly surprised me in the first game of the season, and then went on a 5 game losing streak. At which point I was critiscized in the press for lack of tactical thought, which reminded me to look at the tactics. I changed formation to something I actually had the players for and the team started playing a lot better.

Final Table

Squad

I'm happy enough with my first season in charge, and if I had sorted those tactics out earlier, we may have had promotion.

I am on a 5 year plan to survive in the First Division Elite, which is 2 divisions above me, so I will have to start going upwards next season I feel if I want to meet that target.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

Scout the ones you can, and offer trials to the ones you cant. You will be amazed at the amount of talent you find.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip icon_biggrin.gif although only 4 players came up in the search icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea for the first dew seasons, I only had a few, (Becuase thats all that was interested, I assumed). Then for about 10 seasons I had NO ONE icon_eek.gif - but now, I get about 20 to 30 a season. \o/

Rasharkin - Northern Irish 2nd Division - 09/10 (Season 2)

Media Prediction: 8th

My Prediction: 7th

Once again i'll start with the cups, which I decided to have a little more focus on this year as winning promotion wasn't necessarily going to be my main focus.

Intermediate League Cup: Finished 4th in group 4.

Irish Cup: Knocked out in the 6th round by Premier League side, Linfield.

Antrim Cup: Knocked out in the Quarter Finals by First Division side Carrick.

Antrim Trophy: Knocked out in the Semi Finals by Nortel.

Intermediate cup: Knocked out in the 2nd round by Limavady Utd Reserves.

So then on with the league. Once again it was a poor start as i was lying in second from bottom after 4 games, without winning a game. We started to improve though and picked up some back to back wins taking us up to 5th position. Things were running smoothly once again although finances continued to fall. We finished up in 4th place, which I was very happy with icon_smile.gif. We had the best defence in the league conceding just 23 goals and finished only 10 points off the top.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Player of the Season: Scott Lynas - at just 17 years old Scott has the potential to be a very good player for us, scoring 16 league goals in his first full season at the club.

Signing of the Season: Niall Crilly - the only signing I made during the pre-season and he played very well getting an average rating of 7.10

Game of the Season: Rasharkin 6 - 1 Ards - Fantastic result against the team who were top at the time and the team that went on to win the league.

New Contract and Somebody's happy icon_wink.gif

The Career So Far..

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Year Division Position Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D Pts

08/09 Northern Irish Second Division 2nd 22 11 5 6 40 26 +14 38</pre> Manager Profile

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">09/10 Northern Irish First Division 4th 22 9 7 6 37 21 +14 34</pre> Manager Profile

Originally posted by RecliamTheKop:

Does anybody know if it is announced when a club turns proffesional or does it just happen?

It's announced usually straight after the re-set date.

Guest niresearch

Nep, thats great news about a new stadium, but im more impressed with the fact it wasn't simply named 'Tandragee Rovers Stadium'. Nice to see an original ground name pop up for once!

UGS - Challenge League - 17/18 - Winter Break

The Summer of 17 was pretty dull tbh, nobody left who I did not want to (except the 3rd choice striker who had already signed elsewhere) and only 4 players came in before the start of the season; another DC (not really needed), a DL (who has not played as I bought another backup just before the end of August), an AMC (not really needed) and a 19yo Brazilian striker (who I did need).

Evidently I had upset the schedulers as 2 of the first 3 games were the hardest of the season. 0-1 after 33 seconds and 0-3 at h-t was the not what I was hoping for at Servette. It stayed that way but a home draw against Winterthur was depressing; an unexpected 2-0 win in Sion was not. Unfortunately 4 dodgy results followed so after 7 games we were in the bottom half having only scored 5 goals :/. Maric was injured, the rest of the team dodgy. Thankfully we sorted ourselves out and scraped 6 straight wins together; none unexpected though and few convincing. A couple of defeats, a couple of wins and we were floating around the top 8, already out of contention though. 5 winless games before the break did not help matters either, so we ended up sitting the 3 months out in a very unsatisfactory 9th place.

All a bit disappointing really, the team has hardly changed and although we have had a bit of bad luck on the injury front even without it, I doubt we be that much higher.

There have been a couple of absolutely dreadful results in there; you see Lausanne have 1 win after 22 games, well, that came at our place icon_redface.gif.

The unexpected main problem has been scoring. Maric has missed half the games thru injury and only has 3 goals in the ones he has played so the Brazilian and Sutter have played most, and scored most as well, the former has passed 10. He is better than I expected but only really should be a back up. Defensively we have our very dodgy moments but the GK is good so has saved a few of them.

Winterthur and Chiasso should not really be as high as they are so I think 6th could be a realistic aim, can't see myself gaining that many points on Delemont and Sion though.

Yeh, there's a thread in GQ about that. If the date in real life on your desktop matches the date in-game something like that happens.

I think there's another one about your birthday. If your birthdate in-game matches that on your desktop then you get a message from SI saying happy birthday.

Apparently, there's quite a few hidden gems in this game such as this one but many are still undiscovered.

Originally posted by niresearch:

Nep, thats great news about a new stadium, but im more impressed with the fact it wasn't simply named 'Tandragee Rovers Stadium'. Nice to see an original ground name pop up for once!

Cheers buddy. If you could take a look at your thread at anytime too, I would appreciate that.!

This is some laziness on my part (but there is 57 pages to trawl through!)....which countries have provided most european success? I think I'd find it overly frustrating knowing it was 'impossible' to get anywhere.

Impressed at your young Bermudan Nep. Bizarre how many come through though, the standard here is actually awful. Oh and the second nationality is because it's a British colony...they all have UK passports icon14.gif

My rep has grown to Continental now!

Only the two trophies last season. I think I need to start selling again - except there has been no solid offers yet, so I'm around the 2m mark in terms of bank balance. Stadium is getting upgraded to 2,500.

Last season was so frustrating, but at least I won the league.

Need more awesome islanders. Especially in defence.

Originally posted by gaijin:

This is why I freaking love SI and Football Manager!

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/7264/wtfhz0.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8909/oopsnm4.jpg

I think its hardcoded into the game, to occur on the real date and date of the game.

Haha. I love it! Needless to say, they caught me hook, line and sinker. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Love it! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ghostwriter:

UGS - Challenge League - 17/18 - Winter Break

The Summer of 17 was pretty dull tbh, nobody left who I did not want to (except the 3rd choice striker who had already signed elsewhere) and only 4 players came in before the start of the season; another DC (not really needed), a DL (who has not played as I bought another backup just before the end of August), an AMC (not really needed) and a 19yo Brazilian striker (who I did need).

Evidently I had upset the schedulers as 2 of the first 3 games were the hardest of the season. 0-1 after 33 seconds and 0-3 at h-t was the not what I was hoping for at Servette. It stayed that way but a home draw against Winterthur was depressing; an unexpected 2-0 win in Sion was not. Unfortunately 4 dodgy results followed so after 7 games we were in the bottom half having only scored 5 goals :/. Maric was injured, the rest of the team dodgy. Thankfully we sorted ourselves out and scraped 6 straight wins together; none unexpected though and few convincing. A couple of defeats, a couple of wins and we were floating around the top 8, already out of contention though. 5 winless games before the break did not help matters either, so we ended up sitting the 3 months out in a very unsatisfactory 9th place.

All a bit disappointing really, the team has hardly changed and although we have had a bit of bad luck on the injury front even without it, I doubt we be that much higher.

There have been a couple of absolutely dreadful results in there; you see Lausanne have 1 win after 22 games, well, that came at our place icon_redface.gif.

The unexpected main problem has been scoring. Maric has missed half the games thru injury and only has 3 goals in the ones he has played so the Brazilian and Sutter have played most, and scored most as well, the former has passed 10. He is better than I expected but only really should be a back up. Defensively we have our very dodgy moments but the GK is good so has saved a few of them.

Winterthur and Chiasso should not really be as high as they are so I think 6th could be a realistic aim, can't see myself gaining that many points on Delemont and Sion though.

Keep believing ghostwriter, I'm sure that once you get Maric back to 100% match fitness that'll be enough to solve you goals for problem. icon14.gif

Originally posted by gaijin:

This is why I freaking love SI and Football Manager!

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/7264/wtfhz0.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8909/oopsnm4.jpg

I think its hardcoded into the game, to occur on the real date and date of the game.

Haha. I love it! Needless to say, they caught me hook, line and sinker. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Genius!! Ha Ha icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by jameslowe:

How is Premier League going Gondo?

Just about to start it today. I've made 4 or five astute signings and right now i'm just playing through pre-season. I'm confident that we will survive, one down side at the minute is that 4 or five of my better players are wanting out already.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

Going ot start mine now if my brother isn't on the laptop. icon14.gif

Did you decide on which country to start in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did decide to do Belgium but it doesn't seem to be for me. I'm not enjoying it very much. Northern Ireland should be good as I don't really do long term games so I'll get to the top division and stop. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Robert_296:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

Going ot start mine now if my brother isn't on the laptop. icon14.gif

Did you decide on which country to start in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it is important in this challenge in my opinion to enjoy the game you're playing - the home games playing in front of 200 people aren't quite as painful then... icon_wink.gif

I did decide to do Belgium but it doesn't seem to be for me. I'm not enjoying it very much. Northern Ireland should be good as I don't really do long term games so I'll get to the top division and stop. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jameslowe:

Just about to start it today. I've made 4 or five astute signings and right now i'm just playing through pre-season. I'm confident that we will survive, one down side at the minute is that 4 or five of my better players are wanting out already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why do they want out?? are they bottlers?? icon_wink.gif hopefully tonight i'll be able to get through to the best xi's etc so i can do my season review. already gearing up for my 2nd season in the Adeccoligaen. i hope to follow my form so far. 1st season settle, 2nd season promotion, 3rd season settle, 4th season...........

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jameslowe:

Just about to start it today. I've made 4 or five astute signings and right now i'm just playing through pre-season. I'm confident that we will survive, one down side at the minute is that 4 or five of my better players are wanting out already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why do they want out?? are they bottlers?? icon_wink.gif hopefully tonight i'll be able to get through to the best xi's etc so i can do my season review. already gearing up for my 2nd season in the Adeccoligaen. i hope to follow my form so far. 1st season settle, 2nd season promotion, 3rd season settle, 4th season........... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They seek bigger clubs. I'm not overly bothered as they're easily replaceable. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

why do they want out?? are they bottlers?? icon_wink.gif hopefully tonight i'll be able to get through to the best xi's etc so i can do my season review. already gearing up for my 2nd season in the Adeccoligaen. i hope to follow my form so far. 1st season settle, 2nd season promotion, 3rd season settle, 4th season........... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They seek bigger clubs. I'm not overly bothered as they're easily replaceable. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they're not happy with top division football? no pleasing some people... icon_wink.gif

Could somebody tell me where I can find a record of all of my strikers goals for the club as the league goals are the only ones that show up in the players history.

Surely there is a way?

Ahh, I see. You didn't explain very well.

Click on the season you want to view on the history page. There's an arrow on the left side similar to that when selecting player. Then a breakdown of all the goals scored by that player during that season will appear down at the bottom.

I think that's what you mean right?

Archived