Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

if anyone fancies it, slovakia has a pretty simle set up..

2 divisions, 12 teams in each.

only one goes up from the 2nd division, and 2 go down, and with only 33 games its pretty tight...

but ob a positive side a few teams that get promoted to div2 are already professional and have decent sized stadiums. they have pretty good players too.

i'll put my squad up later tonight as i'm about to start my 'official' attempt at this...

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helsingør- Danish Second Division East- 07/08 - End of season update

A very exciting season for fans of Helsingør came to a thrilling end with promotion to the Danish First Division. Their side, largely made up of loanees from their parent club Copenhagen, fought long and hard throughout the season, clinching promotion in a fairly one sided playoff.

With this promotion comes new found optimism for Helsingør, however the lack of playing personnel contracted to the club is a worry in the Helsingør fans minds.

Two players stood out for Helsingør in this campaign, both loanees from Copenhagen. The first, a young Danish midfielder, was the heartbeat of the midfield. The second, young swedish striker contributed much to Helsingør's success.

Helsingør recently offered mader a new contract in light of the recent success and announced their manager in their favourite personnel. Season ticket sales are hugely up on last season rising from the minuscule 22 to a massive 380 odd.

Around the World

-Chelsea win the UEFA cup, beating Valencia in the final.

-AC beat Inter in the Milan derby of a Champions League final.

Originally posted by Supermas2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supermas2:

Although I am currently doing Dafuge Challenge, I couldnt keep my nose out this thread, and with the arrival of the patch, I couldnt resist.

So currently holidaying in Bulgaria icon_biggrin.gif

Scrap that.

I decieded on Poland instead.

I have taken the reigns at TKP Torun. Here's my profile.

I was intrigued to know the town of Torun has a population of over 200,000 - yet only this little team.

I have told the board I expect to avoid relegation. Fingers crossed, eh icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And i change my mind again.

I just didnt have the heart in my Poland challenge, and the names were becoming a right pain to learn!

Ill have a look at the other leagues and try and deceide on one, hopefully without changing any further icon_biggrin.gif

Helsingør - Danish First Division 09/10 - Transfer window close

Ah..

Still struggling to find talented players for free to have a full squad and so I continue to rely on Loanees. One of which arrived on the last day of the window. After seeing him declare his dissatisfaction at lack of first team football I made a cheeky bid, and, well he actually accepted!

A shock loan!

A couple of players did arrive on a permanent basis including two youngsters with hopefully bright futures..

Christ

Soren- Poached from a lower league club he has already made his way into the u19 setup.

Originally posted by Alurny:

Helsingør - Danish First Division 09/10 - Transfer window close

Ah..

Still struggling to find talented players for free to have a full squad and so I continue to rely on Loanees. One of which arrived on the last day of the window. After seeing him declare his dissatisfaction at lack of first team football I made a cheeky bid, and, well he actually accepted!

A shock loan!

A couple of players did arrive on a permanent basis including two youngsters with hopefully bright futures..

Christ

Soren- Poached from a lower league club he has already made his way into the u19 setup.

that's a pretty impressive loan signing!! i'm sure he'll help you with your league campaign.....

Originally posted by Gundo:

Our first friendly and a easy run out against Skjetten. Sorry cookie. icon_biggrin.gif

No sign of Grubicic I'm afraid. icon_frown.gif

Not selected my norway team yet - will have to wait until the morning...

BUT, looked at Skjetten, although i don't ruin the story by taking them on myself, and your Grubicic guy was there on my save...

Meldert, Belgium - October 1st 2012

I normally don't do an update until mid-season, but this is a bit of a try-to-break-the-spell type thing. Hence, a quarter-season update:

Quarter-season table.

Needless to say, I'm not exactly setting the First Division on fire. In fact, we're disturbingly terrible.

It's not a complete surprise, after an increasingly frustrating off-season. Finding players was a nightmare. For some reason, hardly anyone wanted to sign. From over-the-hill free players to loan players, they'd all rather sign for Second (and in some cases even Third) Division teams than for newly promoted Meldert.

Not sure why that is. Even players I'd loaned before and now had Meldert as one of their favorite teams chose to go on loan to a Second Div team instead.

A few transfer listed players I tried to sign rejected the offer, mentioning my poor training facilities, so perhaps that's a bigger factor than it should be.

In any case, I managed to sign a few decent players, but not nearly enough to turn my team into First Division material. I find myself having to rely on players who weren't even first choice last season, a division lower.

Feyenoord is my new parent team (a deal the board arranged without my asking), but they only sent me a not-all-that-outstanding goalie, so that didn't help much either.

The quality of my team.

Not exactly promising. With two good DCs and a decent goalie, I was hoping our defense wouldn't be too bad. Obviously I was wrong - 29 conceded in 8 matches, ouch!

And I can't even blame my goalie. They're slicing right through my defense. Lots of through balls that leave my defenders standing around going "huh, what, where'd he come from?"

We're not really getting outplayed in every match. Well, sometimes we are. But we're mainly getting outscored.

I've stuck to the same tactic as the previous seasons. But after 8 matches, I think it's clear that I don't have the players to pull off a slow-ish, possession-based style of football. Time to go to the drawing board and see if I can get a counter-attacking tactic to work.

And meanwhile, keep looking for that one player in a thousand that actually wants to sign for me, heh.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

I normally don't do an update until mid-season, but this is a bit of a try-to-break-the-spell type thing. Hence, a quarter-season update:

Well, it worked, jinx broken! We won the first match after that post.

(Of course, adjusting the tactic may have helped a bit as well.)

Kari - 2010 Icelandic Premier Division (2nd season)

Our first season in the premier league saw us placed in the upper league cup which is mostly full of premier teams, so this would give me an early indicator of how well we would fair in the league.

Group Stage

Tree

My team were on fire in the early stages, beating teams far better than them. They then carried their form all the way through to the final only to lose 2-1 to the top ranked team in Iceland. Still, I'm happy that we could even compete against premier teams which means we should easily avoid relegation.

League

Graph

Started out a bit inconsistent but then hit some form and moved up the table to finish in 5th place.

Iceland cup

Another good cup run saw us get to the quarters to face a top three team who then hammered us and that was that.

All in all a really good first season in the premiership icon_smile.gif

Snapshot

Team

Goals of the season Clean sweep for my main striker

My player just got a red card 2 minutes after coming on a a sub! A record? I also continued without giving a teamtalk and upset my team icon_frown.gif

Might be a record in FM, but I think I saw the record IRL. Like 10 years ago, I was at a Crusaders (N.Irish team) match, and one of our player got sent off 20 seconds after coming on as a subsitute. He punched some guy and kicked another guy, it was hilarious.

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

My player just got a red card 2 minutes after coming on a a sub! A record? I also continued without giving a teamtalk and upset my team icon_frown.gif

Might be a record in FM, but I think I saw the record IRL. Like 10 years ago, I was at a Crusaders (N.Irish team) match, and one of our player got sent off 20 seconds after coming on as a subsitute. He punched some guy and kicked another guy, it was hilarious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, I actually found a match report online. March 1998...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_19980308/ai_n14473321

anyone ever had a failed takeover.

i was worried when a consortium started nosing around in my first few days in charge. the takeover started and the transfer embargo was put in place. i even got the usual message about the guy the consortium were gonna replace me with.

anyway, i've just had a message that the takeover failed, the embargo has been lifted and i'm still in a job...

for now. the chairman is still looking to leave...

Originally posted by cookie15:

In a surprise turn of events Marcus Evan Cook is announced as Skjetten Fotball for the second time! icon_wink.gif

Well what did you expect icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Gundo, i notice Randaberg are worth £3.3 mil at the start of the game! What's that all about icon_frown.gif

They're one of the better known of the Norwegian non-league clubs. I think they where an established league club for a long time and they'd recently made the headlines in Norway (before the 2007 season) for attracting two well known players. My wage wage budget was only £4,500 and my transfer budget was £0. So I didn't get too much out of picking them just yet. Our board also want a top half finish so that ain't going to be easy.

I wonder will your Skjetten adventure be as magical as last time? Only time will tell... icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Our first friendly and a easy run out against Skjetten. Sorry cookie. icon_biggrin.gif

No sign of Grubicic I'm afraid. icon_frown.gif

Not selected my norway team yet - will have to wait until the morning...

BUT, looked at Skjetten, although i don't ruin the story by taking them on myself, and your Grubicic guy was there on my save... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to Norway, there are a good few teams to choose from as 12 teams get promoted into the 4 division groups.

So i've set up roots in Norway,and i introduce to you the new manager of Assiden IF:

A little bit of background info on the club.

Drammen, home of Assiden IF, is one of the larger cities in Norway, and lies about 40 km from the capital of Norway, Oslo. The city centre lies at the end of a valley, on both sides of the river Drammenselva, and where the river meets the Drammensfjord. Drammen is also the main harbor for car and fruit import in Norway.

As of January 1, 2006 the population of the urban area of Drammen is 159,704.

Club Info Screen

i chose this team mainly because, as i mentioned previously, i like to build my team rather than inherit a group of players, and they only had a few players. there is also no staff at all at the club.

the other major plus point is that they already have a parent club - Stromsgodset, who have good youth facilities. i feel i might need to raid them for a few players!!

in echange for a promise of a top-half finish, i have been offered a £0 transfer budget and a £3.1k p/w wage budget.

The journey begins!! now to find me some players and staff.......

Firstly, I'll start with an apology to gundo for my indecisiveness, as I realise it may confuse a bit when you update your table. But I have FINALLY settled on a team - back in Poland!

Kidd takes the reigns at Rakow

Billy Kidd has today been named as the new manager of newly-promted Polish second division side Rakow Czestochowa.

The team started with hardly any players, which was why I decided to take over, and although the stadium is larger than I would have probably liked as an 8,000 seater, I am sure it will still be a challenge!

Background on the city: Częstochowa is a city based in the south of Poland, with a population of 246,832. The city played host to occupying forces of Nazi Germany during WW2 and then the Communists in post-war Poland.

Today, the city is one of the main tourist attractions in Poland and attracts millions of tourists and pilgrims every year, and the Pope has recently visited the city's Jasna Góra Monastery.

I think there is potential for the club, but this seasons aim will be survival, and then we will see from there.

Originally posted by Quacky:

Békéscsaba Elöre FC 2009/10

Building on the success of the first season we got off to a fast start losing in 1st round of the cup again :p but by the winter break we were in the hunt better positioned than last season. I still needed to win out after the break and only dropped 4 points, just enough, champions!

Unfortunately the might Bozovic could only manage 13 goals this season down from 24 leading to a 3 way tie with the sprinter who got the highest average rating in the league and the Slovak who won player of the year leaving me to take the manager crown icon_biggrin.gif

With any luck I don't lose any more defenders to other clubs and find some more bargains (free transfer), I think I'll need them, defeat protection helmet on standby for the top division.

Congratulations!

I have to say I'm surprised by the stats of Odrobéna, he's useless IRL but I'm not researching his team icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Might be a record in FM, but I think I saw the record IRL. Like 10 years ago, I was at a Crusaders (N.Irish team) match, and one of our player got sent off 20 seconds after coming on as a subsitute. He punched some guy and kicked another guy, it was hilarious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_19980308/ai_n14473321 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. Very impressive. The fastest I know IRL was Gary Flitcroft on his debut for Blackburn within 3 minutes!

Jazza, Great first season in the prem, good luck pushing on from there!

Cookie, good luck on your return home! Hope it all goes well!

rlipscombe, good luck in Norway, I feel left out in Denmark!

Supermas2, good luck in Poland!

Meldert, Belgium - December 16th 2012

Mid-season table

Well, at least we have a few points now. It's still not looking good though. As time goes on, dropping back to the Second Division becomes more and more a realistic possibility.

I'm not quite resigned to relegation quite yet though. Some tactical changes have improved results a bit - 8 points from the last nine matches, as opposed to zero points from the first eight matches. But the lack of quality is still apparent in most matches, and we have to battle like crazy for every point.

To make matters worse, my one good striker got struck with a serious vital infection in October and is out for eight months. The strikers I have left are really not up to the level of First Division football.

I have one new striker joining in January, but he's really not that great either. Tried to pick up several players off the very limited transfer list, but everyone who's half-decent snubs me on the basis of our poor training facilities. Bit harsh, I feel, but ah well. At least the board agreed to upgrade them next summer.

So, onwards we struggle. One match at a time. Hopefully we can pick up enough points to avoid relegation.

Started season 4 with NK Slovan.

Things got off to an encouraging start, as we've just beaten promotion candidates Triglav. 3-1 and my new Croatian ST scored twice in the last 15 mins coming in as a sub icon_biggrin.gif

Last year we weren't able to win games like these.

Annihilator666 - New Manager of Nortel - Northern Irish Second Division

Well here goes, local lad George Patton has taken over management duties at lowly Nortel.

There's a couple of interesting players in the team, including a someone called David Waterman who played 80 games for Portsmouth when they were in the Championship.

Also, HERE is Google's view of the team's ground. icon_biggrin.gif

First round (9 matches) gone, and we're 6-2-1 icon14.gif

The league looks weird, there is a major divide between the top and the bottom 5.

It's like

1. Triglav 24

5. Bonifika 16

6. Krsko 9

So it's like the league has been cut to two halves. Usually it's a top 2-3 and a strong midtable pack, now the midtable has been wiped out.

Broke gate receipts/attendance record against Domzale in the 3rd round of the cup. Kept our honour against the first division runner-ups, only lost 1-0.

Originally posted by emgergo:

First round (9 matches) gone, and we're 6-2-1 icon14.gif

The league looks weird, there is a major divide between the top and the bottom 5.

It's like

1. Triglav 24

5. Bonifika 16

6. Krsko 9

So it's like the league has been cut to two halves. Usually it's a top 2-3 and a strong midtable pack, now the midtable has been wiped out.

Broke gate receipts/attendance record against Domzale in the 3rd round of the cup. Kept our honour against the first division runner-ups, only lost 1-0.

What was your attendance record then? And what has been your average attendance?

Annihilator666 - New Manager of Nortel - Northern Irish Second Division

Well here goes, local lad George Patton has taken over management duties at lowly Nortel.

There's a couple of interesting players in the team, including a someone called David Waterman who played 80 games for Portsmouth when they were in the Championship.

Also, HERE is Google's view of the team's ground. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_19980308/ai_n14473321 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. Very impressive. The fastest I know IRL was Gary Flitcroft on his debut for Blackburn within 3 minutes! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taken from wikipedia:

* Fastest red card for a substitute: 0 seconds, joint record:

o Walter Boyd (Swansea City, 12 March 2000),

o Keith Gillespie (Sheffield United, 20 January 2007)

(Both players came on as a substitute and elbowed/pushed an opponent before the game had been restarted)

How f***ed off would you be if you were the manager.

Archived