Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes its top division, I was in Intertoto this season already from the sucky cup that I'm avoiding like the plague this season. Hoping for much more than that this season (although I just lost 2-0 to the worst team in the league, failed to convert my many chances).

iacovone; if you think that's genuine quality, wait till you see my star player who is 17, in the Croatia U21 squad and playing rather well. icon_wink.gif

I'll post up some screenies of my young stars at the end of the season.

For the mean time, I just reached the mid-point of the season. 15 games to go; 2 more till the 2 month winter break. Currently unbeaten in 5. icon14.gif

Mid-Season Table.

Quite happy so far. It's took a while for my youngsters to gel but now we are starting to look like a team picking up points and wins over the top teams.

I'm hoping for a top half finish but you never know... icon_wink.gif

Békéscsaba Elöre FC 2011/12 Full Season

The post Odrobéna era started in comical fashion when shortly afterwards his new team came to visit, they got thumped, their boss got sacked with me as the top manager linked to the post, naturally I declined. Pivotal in this victory was the replacement, much cheaper and quite possibly better than the original.

The dominance of the first half the season didn't quite carry over to after winter, probably due to the not quite so suck arse cup. Even so the title was wrapped up with four games to go and we did the double taking the Hungarian Cup too. I was dreading the massive player win bonus, turned out to be £122K overall, although thankfully the prize money for the league was £200K.

Champions league to come next season, our current European ranking is 59 places to 326th with Hungary lingering in 32nd with a coefficient of 8.333. We've drawn some more Armenians and then Sparta Prague, updates to come.

In other news, Croatia won 2012 European Championships, I would have just said what the score was but then I saw that it was lol.

Also, I'm 30/40k in the profit for the season with the balance at roughly -110k at the moment. Things looking bright.

I've also began work on assembling my squad for the new season. Signing the players I expect to play a big part onto full-time contracts, with the excess to leave on frees at the end of the season.

Békéscsaba Elöre FC 2012/13 Europa

In the 1st Qualifying we drew Ararat Yerevan of Armenia, they were a useless team and we spanked them 4-0 in Armenia and finished them off 6-0 on aggregate. The 2nd Qualifying was a much bigger challenge against Sparta Prague, we were unlucky to lose 1-0 at home with a disallowed goal and then got a 1-1 draw in Prague, not quite enough icon_frown.gif

Most annoying was that I was really hoping to reach the 3rd qualifying and be owned hard, it would have been against Real Madrid. On with winning the league again...

Annihilator666 - Nortel - Season 09/10 - Northern Irish Second Division

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Kenny Neilly

Fans' Player of the Year - Kenny Neilly

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

Well, a good season which ended with promotion. I was top for a couple of weeks, but was in 2nd position for a lot of the season. A bad run of 4 games without a win near the end almost cost us dearly, but the team pulled through and a win on the last day of the season confirmed promotion.

Had a decent run again in the Intermediate League Cup, getting to the Quarter Finals, but we lost to Lurgan Celtic. In the Irish Cup, we made it to a club best of the 5th round, but Ballyclare Comrades knocked us out on penalties.

Financially, the club had a slightly more stable season, breaking about even. However, I had to sell a couple of players to achieve this. I'm arranging as many friendlies as possible against lower league English teams this season to try and make some money. Also, a lot of youth contracts will expire so that should also help.

Fire Bracelet - Sirocco Works - Season 08/09 - Northern Irish Second Division

Table - Table

Transfers- http://mysite.verizon.net/res7upsy/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/transfers1.jpg

The year started off with me having a few youth players and no one on a senior contract, so I looked around the teams in my new division myself and found a few people willing to join up to create a new squad. Very little staff showed up for adverts so I used the search engine to look for them, other than these things I followed all LLM rules and plan to in the future.

Did rather well in the league that ended up with me being promoted, nothing spectacular happening except ending the season with a 5-0 win against the 3rd ranked team and followed that with a 4-2 win over Moyola Park to clinch the second promotion spot! Cups were rather disappointing and I got thrashed by several grey teams.

Congratulations Quackyn on the double! \o/\o/

Your case with Odrobéna brings up an IRL memory: Békéscsaba had it's 'golden team' in the mid-90s, which challenged for the title for a few years. Then Győr bought 7 (!) players from them in a summer. Next season, first day, and a heavily-weakened Békéscsaba kicked Győr's arse 4-0 icon_biggrin.gif

Fire Bracelet - Sirocco Works - Season 08/09 - Northern Irish First Division

Manager Profile(end of this season) - Manager Profile

Table - Table

This season started out with me 100k in the hole financially due to promotion bonuses and a wage budget that's under the limit but it still too much for our finances. So I brought in almost no one and a very important MR on loan. Got a new good striker at the very end who got released, he scored two for us in the last game of the season.

To put it simply, the opposition was not improved at all over the second division and for the most part we dominated the first division pure and simple. We did much better in the Irish Cup getting to the quarters and losing due to two players getting two yellows. We were almost always on top in the First and trotted our way to the championship and promotion.

I have a bad feeling that after looking at the top clubs in the Premier Division that there will be a much bigger jump up in talent and I fear us being relegated next year. Hopefully we will make some money no matter what.

finally got round to playing my first pre-season friendly last night with Assiden IF. i have managed to cobble together so far a first XI with a couple of reserves and youth players on the bench for my first game, with a few players in on loan from my parent club, Stromsgodset.

going into the match against Gruben (some random club) away, i was optimistic of a decent result and told the players to relax and enjoy. and they did winning 5-0!! icon_biggrin.gif

hope the rest of the games are as easy!!

(Gundo, i must be an attractive team to play as Randaberg have just 'begged' me to play them in a pre-season friendly at our place.... icon_wink.gif)

i played the second half of my season last night.

it went pretty badly. we only won a couple of games, but i never realised the severity of my position until there was only 3 games left. the team who i thought were the league whipping boys were above me, and i was only 3 points and 3 places from bottom.

I left it with 2 games to play. I'm sitting 10th out of 12 and I've got 35 points. The 2 teams below me both have 33...

My last 2 games are against 2nd and 9th, and I really cant afford to go down. I feel that relegation, coupled with the half million overdraft, will be my head on a plate...

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

(Gundo, i must be an attractive team to play as Randaberg have just 'begged' me to play them in a pre-season friendly at our place.... icon_wink.gif)

Man they must be desperate icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our lads just needed an easy run-out. icon_wink.gif

I watched the Rosenborg BK- Chelsea game last night on tv, It kind of gave me even more inspiration to reach the Champions League with Randaberg. Shame Rosenborg got beat 4-0 in the end. icon_frown.gif

Out of the Croatian Cup but so nearly caused an upset. Lost 1-0 at home to the mighty Hadjuk Split. icon_redface.gif

It's a shame how one result like that (relates nothing to the league) can spoil your form. We'd gone the first 7 league games unbeaten but currently 2 down at home to Osijek icon_mad.gif

aaberdeenn I'll have you know Mr Visevic would be a leading star for any prem team apparently! Happy with that! Also, how good is Semialjac?! His pace is incredible!

Also, how good is Semialjac?! His pace is incredible!

I've not given him that much game time so far, but he has 12 goals in 6 games for my U19's. I do have another striker, (the one I mentioned earlier) who is my top scorer. His pace is causing everyone problems.

I hope to finish my season tonight. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Man they must be desperate icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our lads just needed an easy run-out. icon_wink.gif

I watched the Rosenborg BK- Chelsea game last night on tv, It kind of gave me even more inspiration to reach the Champions League with Randaberg. Shame Rosenborg got beat 4-0 in the end. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haven't played the match yet... will do tonight and might even post a screenshot depending on the result!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Meldert, Belgium - May 12th 2014

End of Season table

I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't manage to win the title. We had a strong run after the winter and looked like we were gonna pull it off, but a combination of injuries and suspensions (4 red cards in the last six matches) saw us throw it away in the end.

So we'll have to snatch promotion through the playoffs. Emphasis on HAVE TO, if I want to keep my job longer than, say, January or so.

At the moment the board are still pleased, but being 1 mil in the red already (and dropping fast), I need to stay ahead of the long term expectations, which are to challenge for the title.

So, six more matches to play (it's a 4 team group stage type playoff, first place promotes). Six tough matches, because this is a "cream of the crop" playoff.

All three opponents have a history in the First Division (though admittedly, it's been a while for Kortrijk). But Germinal Beerschot even won the First Division in the 07/08 season. So I'm definitely up against it.

I've just landed Stavanger IF (the club I managed in last years challenge) as my feeder club. icon_cool.gif

I've just had a board update and they are not entirely pleased with our performance so far and want me to achieve their expectations of a title change this season.

It's going to be a tough season, I just hope we've got the required quality to challenge.

Meldert, Belgium - June 8th 2014

Mid-season table

End of season

Playoffs

Bah. Not good.

It came down to the last playoff round. We had to beat Germinal Beerschot, away, to promote. But we failed to do that, so another season in the Second Division it is.

Don't think I'll survive that long, but we'll see how far I get.

The team.

I'm generally pleased with the team. Most of the strikers were reasonably productive - except when it really counted.

Two players who stood out:

Anele Ngcongca. The pacey defender I desperately needed. Occasional South African international.

Melvin Zaalman. His 18 assists got him into the club's record books. Already did reasonable in last season's relegation team, but really excelled this season, almost exclusively on the right wing. Unfortunately his contract is up, and his wage demand is higher than my board allows.

All in all, not a bad season, but it won't be enough. 1.2 mil in the red, and it gets worse by 250-300k per month. The main question that remains is whether I'll get fired before or after the club goes bankrupt.

i had a season ticket sales update on 6th june, telling me we'd sold 1194 season tickets for next year.

i had another update on 20th june telling me the same thing.

and another on 27th june, still saying 1194.

this in itself is not unusual, however, i've just had an update on 4th july telling me we've sold 1080!!

Did someone bring theirs back? That's just stupid...

icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by migwar:

i had a season ticket sales update on 6th june, telling me we'd sold 1194 season tickets for next year.

i had another update on 20th june telling me the same thing.

and another on 27th june, still saying 1194.

this in itself is not unusual, however, i've just had an update on 4th july telling me we've sold 1080!!

Did someone bring theirs back? That's just stupid...

icon_frown.gif

It happens sometimes, if you lose a key player or someone fires the manager before the season starts.

Annihilator666 - Nortel - Season 10/11 - Northern Irish Second Division

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Kenny Neilly

Fans' Player of the Year - Kenny Neilly

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

First Division:

Yay! Promotion to the Premier League at the first attempt. Had a really strong season, and was rarely outside the top three. Oxford United Stars were above me in 2nd place for a lot of the season, but they fell away in the last few games and I nipped in ahead of them. I played Lurgan Celtic in the Promotion/Relegation playoff, and hammered them 4-1 in both legs to win promotion 8-2 on agg.!

This was mostly down to my star striker, as you can see in the screenshot above. I had an offer of £80k for him from Portadown, which is huge money in Northern Irish football. Obviously, I turned it down.

The Cups:

Another uneventful season in the cups for Nortel. A couple of losses to all grey teams, of course, which is quite annoying.

The Board, finances, etc.

Well, as you can see in my results screenshots above, I played a massive number of friendlies against middle division English clubs. These friendlies helped HUGELY with my finances, bringing in over £100k.

Originally posted by Fire Bracelet:

Well done there Annihilator, I found the First Division to be ridiculously easy too, we should schedule our teams for a friendly sometime.

Thanks! I've found that there really isn't much difference between the three leagues, except for the big three teams in the Premier Division (Linfield, Glentoran, Portadown).

hmmmmm.......... you think you've got it tough Gundo! icon_rolleyes.gif

My final friendly game was against Stromgodset (or whatever they're called) and the only poistive was my new 30 year old striker hammered in a brace. It was just the twelve icon_eek.gif you conceded at the other end which is a little worrying!!

Just to reinforce it, we lost 2-12 icon_mad.gif

The boys got a proper rollicking for their efforts, or lack of, would be more accurate!!

We've managed just one pre-season victory and i'm desperately trying to find a keeper who'll come. My scouts have recommended a guy, so we'll see if he'll come.

Good luck guys with your respective games icon14.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

hmmmmm.......... you think you've got it tough Gundo! icon_rolleyes.gif

My final friendly game was against Stromgodset (or whatever they're called) and the only positive was my new 30 year old striker who hammered in a brace. It was just the twelve icon_eek.gif <STRIKE>you</STRIKE> we conceded at the other end which is a little worrying!!

Just to reinforce it, we lost 2-12 icon_mad.gif

The boys got a proper rollicking for their efforts, or lack of, would be more accurate!!

We've managed just one pre-season victory and i'm desperately trying to find a keeper who'll come. My scouts have recommended a guy, so we'll see if he'll come.

Good luck guys with your respective games icon14.gif

icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">we lost 2-12

icon_biggrin.gif It's results like that that make me want to get into this again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers mate, go on, kick a bloke when he's down icon_wink.gif

Good to have you back Jimbo icon_cool.gif

managed to play a couple more pre-season firendlies last night, including the 'big' game against Randaberg. The experts expected Randaberg to win comfortably and odds of 1-3 for Randaberg against my 7-1 weren't encouraging......

we took the lead in the first half and i couldn't fault the lads. we rode our luck a couple of times but we had a number of other chances to score. in the second half i made a number of substitutions, giving some trialists a run-out. we conceded two late goals and lost 2-1. (yes Gundo, Randaberg won 2-1....) the experts said that we played well and should be pleased.

As far as my squad and how it's developing, i'm cautiously optimistic so far. secured a good young striker on loan from my parent club, Stromsgodset, called Knutsen who's playing well pre-season. got a few other players in from there too. i was worried about my GK situation, but i've brought in one from stromsgodset again, who's 23 and would be a good signing for a premier division club!! pleased with that too.

my squad is still a bit thin and lacking in depth, but i'm still working on this. with the apparent lack of quality available on free transfers, i might have to look at relying on loan signings a bit more than i would like, but needs must. i don't want to sign deadwood for the sake of building a squad.

hope to get some decent game time in over the weekend and get into the league season...

Originally posted by Gundo:

yes Gundo, Randaberg won 2-1....

\o/ icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thought you'd like that.... shame i had to bring on my trialists before you could score..... icon_biggrin.gif

Archived