Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by iacovone:

Congrats CoachFlu icon14.gif

Here's to a great season ahead for both of us!

I'll drink to that! icon_cool.gif

Unlucky season for you. I'm assuming "Results between teams" is the first divider there? Any other divider (goal difference, goals scored) and you'd have won the league.

About offering the highest squad bonus: I did that a few seasons ago (in the season in which I expected to battle for relegation, so I knew it wouldn't break the bank, heheh).

Don't know if there were any hidden effects as well, but the visible effect was that three of my players kept the PR icon ("excited by the high squad bonus", or something like that) next to their name until well after newyear, and it kept their morale in the Very Good/Superb range constantly, no matter our poor results.

My Croatian sub ST was involved in two friendlies for the U21s. 0-14 twice! icon_eek.gif

It looks like selecting only one country can unbalance the game somewhat: the Croatian U21 team is full of regens from Slovenian 2nd/3rd division, and here is the result.

Just played a cracker against league leaders Nafta:

2-2, shots: 15 (5) - 19 (12)

And I was missing 4 U21 internationals, so two youth strikers had to be on the bench. It was sweet that one of them headed home the equaliser with 10 minutes to go icon_biggrin.gif

But the FA can **** off, next time they'd better postpone icon_mad.gif

That's weird emgergo thought they usually get postponed! But well done with the result.

CoachFlu - so far so good. First game we won 4-0. icon_biggrin.gif If morale stays up because of the bonuses it could well push us into the First division. And yes 'results between teams' was the first decider on league positions. icon_frown.gif

NK Slovan, 2012/13

Next try for at least a playoff place.

In: 13 including 4 loans for 0K

Out: 18 for 120K

Media: 3rd

Fans, board: Top half

Squad was much better both in quality and in depth than ever before. Autumn was a bit tough, some fixture congestions and my old tactic not doing the trick didn't help much. A tactic change was done in November and we've been much better afterwards.

We went in for the spring twoo points behind Mura, and way behind Nafta. We did everything we could, including a 10-match unbeaten run, but in the last game we needed to beat runaway league leaders (and champions) Nafta, while hoping that Mura screws up at relegated Jesenice.

No such luck. We drew away, Mura won, they are in the playoffs.

Damn icon_mad.gif We're cursed.

One more try next year. I hope that Mura can't win the playoffs, as they do look beatable. Probably freshly relegated Livar can walk the league next year as usual, but Mura can be caught.

Board was considering giving me an offer until the last round, now they will propose next week.

We were out from the cp in the 2nd round, much to the board's disappointment. I think Zavrc put something of a curse on us this year: 1-4 H, 0-1 A, 1-0 H in the league, 0-1 in the cup. icon_mad.gif

League table 2012-13

Originally posted by Quacky:

You've been stuck in that division for years emgergo, hope you get over the hump next time icon_wink.gif

It's starting to **** me off bigtime icon_wink.gif I have to say, that this league is one of the hardest to get out of in my FM experience. It's like a strict caste system icon_biggrin.gif

I've never been stuck in a lower division for more than 5 years, so it's really testing my patience icon_smile.gif

Békéscsaba Elöre 2013/14 Rolling in the money

So we traveled up to Bremen to take on Diego and co (who turns out to be a dirty little sod injuring my players in both games and is now added to my list of hate). Anyway we held them close for a while with a few good chances for us before they scored and then quickly another and I thought I was heading for a 4-0 drubbing until this hapened icon_biggrin.gif.

This left us having to avoid being beaten by two clear goals at home, it was a bit hairy at times but we made it, instant £3M for group stages. I think I've got one of the easiest groups too, Sevilla, Sporting and Bordeaux, with a bit of luck I'll get some points at least especially since I expect it'll be snowing in Békéscsaba for some of the games.

I'm having a 'holy sheet' moment. I've had an awesome season, and I was starting to think it was going to be our year.

Then we started to throw it away. Some really bad performances and 4-1 losses.

But we just won our penultimate game which leaves us top by 2 points!

And we have a better head to head than either of the 2 teams below us...

To put it basically, if we avoid defeat in our last game, we are champions of Slovakia...

I need to take some deep breathes icon_smile.gif

Quaky that is superb mate! Well done and good luck in the group stages icon14.gif

migwar congrats to you too, Slovak champions sounds very nice, well done.

cr4z3d - 21st Jan is the date you need to holiday too. Or just before to reload. Good luck, I went to Iceland and boy is it hard! icon14.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20st January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Spa mid-season update 08/09

Having started with 1 coach, we now have 3 and a player/gk coach. The squad was limited in ability so with no transfer budget I dipped into the free agent market. Looking for players with good technical skills. Our best player is Farid Nagui who has scored some very important goals.

We are sitting 4th in the league and have battled for every point sometimes I think boring the opposition into submission. Hopefully we can consolidate over the next half of the season and maybe get lucky in the play-offs.

We are managing to turn a profit each month which is good. The board refused to find a parent club but have since allowed me to ask again so fingers crossed.

Overview

Please could someone tell me the pros and cons of becoming professional? icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by yababo:

Please could someone tell me the pros and cons of becoming professional? icon_smile.gif

Pros: your players train more, so they evolve/perform better ; more players are willing to join your team

Cons: their wage will be higher

In Belgium, don't expect to turn pro until you promote to the First Division. (And even then it's not assured. I remained semi-pro the first time I promoted to the First Div., but then relegated and re-promoted a few seasons later and then turned pro.)

It seems I've gotta lucky, I've got a squad full of young players, that look okay. Though there's no assistant manager...

A question about the signing of players: can we sign players that we can trial, but can't get a scout report of?

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yababo:

Pros: your players train more, so they evolve/perform better ; more players are willing to join your team

Cons: their wage will be higher

In Belgium, don't expect to turn pro until you promote to the First Division. (And even then it's not assured. I remained semi-pro the first time I promoted to the First Div., but then relegated and re-promoted a few seasons later and then turned pro.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

Originally posted by cr4z3d:

It seems I've gotta lucky, I've got a squad full of young players, that look okay. Though there's no assistant manager...

A question about the signing of players: can we sign players that we can trial, but can't get a scout report of?

That's correct mate, good luck with Grotta icon14.gif

Spa End of season 08/09

League Table

Squad

Finances

Didn't make the play despite a 9 game unbeaten run. Our 2 best players suffered a loss of form. Teams started to break us down easily and scoring 1/2 goals was not enough. We created a lot of chances and I think with a striker with more composure we could well have grabbed another 4 wins.

On the financial side of things we are ok turning a profit most months. I really hope the Chairman doesn't do anything ridiculous. The wage bill will be lower next season as I am going to carry a smaller squad. The Chairman (God love him) still won't find us a parent club. Hopefully he will come to his senses. Perhaps if he actually watched our best striker miss from 2 yards at least 3 times a game he might re-consider.

Objectives for next season are:

1. Get a new Striker, centre back and Goal keeper.

2. Upgrade other positions where possible and get rid of the many lepers I signed last year.

3. Get a Parent club!!!

4. Consolidate position in League.

Mon the Spa!!

Fire Bracelet - Sirocco Works - Season 10/11 - Northern irish Premier Divison

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - Table

Finances - Finance Summary

World Cup Result - England Victorious

Premier Division:

A mildly promising start to the season turned to rather poor and I spent the majority of the season near the bottom, and for the last month I was one spot above the relegation playoff zone, holding on by a bare thread with my shock victory over Linfield in the second to last game keeping me above Armagh. For a good month or so 2 of my best 3 strikers were out and the other was not feeling very fit or quick. We had a run of four league games without a score.

Cups and Finances:

Another quarterfinals run at the Irish cup saw us go out to much better club Cliftonville, we always seem to run into a giant in that particular round. The big news is that for once the club was profitable! A friendly with Crystal Palace at home partly responsible along with the cup run. The only friendly I've arranged so far, I like to let my asst. manager handle them. Sadly after the season was done my best striker demanded to go and he went off to Linfield.

---full end of season update to follow tonight---

Just wanted to say that I did indeed win the Slovakian Championship in only my 3rd season. To be honest I was really lucky and am way out of my depth at this level. I've drawn Rosenborg in the Champs League qualifying round. My plan is to defend like crazy, home and away, and lose badly. Hopefully I'll make some cash. That's my best case scenario...

icon_frown.gif

Well, guess it's time to continue onwards with this challenge, havent been playing FM08 for some time now due to a save in FM07.

The season is halfway through right now and we didnt have the best of times, laying in 9th place after Phase 1 with only 2 wins to our name.

League Table after Phase 1

The chairman also went away with Dag Abdullah being voted the new chairman.

Originally posted by migwar:

---full end of season update to follow tonight---

Just wanted to say that I did indeed win the Slovakian Championship in only my 3rd season. To be honest I was really lucky and am way out of my depth at this level. I've drawn Rosenborg in the Champs League qualifying round. My plan is to defend like crazy, home and away, and lose badly. Hopefully I'll make some cash. That's my best case scenario...

icon_frown.gif

Congrats on winning your Championship, migwar. icon14.gif

A tough Champions League game against Rosenborg their aswel, sorry that I can't wish you luck against Norwegian opposition for obvious reasons. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway while we are on the subject of the mighty Norway icon_razz.gif I decided to continue with my Randaberg game despite the squad selection issue/bug in the top two divisions and I'll just see where it goes. It's not going to be that easy, the current bug only allows you to register 17 homegrown by nation and foreign players, homegrown youth players are unaffected, so I'm going to have to concentrate on getting a decent youth set-up.

Irl alot of Norwegian clubs develop youngsters really well and bring them on to play many first team games. It's not like English football where they're released alot more often.

It's not going to be an easy task mind.

Meldert, Belgium - October 5th 2015

Quarter-season table

Eight matches into our second attempt at the First Division. At our first try, three seasons ago, we had zero points at this stage, so at least I'm doing a little better this time around.

That's mainly due to the quality of the players willing to join my team now - still not the level of players I'd like, but better than three seasons ago, at least. The big change: we turned pro this time.

That makes for another challenge though; managing the wage budget. It more than doubled compared to last season, but 32k euro doesn't go very far. I could only afford a handful of players who my scouts rate "decent," with wages between 1k and 2.5k, and did manage to sign two defenders who are rated "good" who earn 2.9k and 3.3k (my max limit). Most of the "good" players are in the 4k+ range though, which I can't offer them yet. Quality players, don't even think about it. icon_smile.gif

By keeping the best of last season's players on their part time contracts for now, I have just enough squad depth, but the wage budget better go up significantly next season, or I'm in trouble.

Don't know if that'll happen though, since we're obviously still losing money.

It's not as bad as I thought though. We have an average attendance of 7900 for now, and the income from the home matches is pretty decent. Still running a loss, but I think I might break even the odd month here and there (in months when we have three home matches, or perhaps get one of the big teams in our stadium).

So in short, I don't think I'll be breaking even yet this year, but that's not as far off as I thought. I figured I'd have to be playing in Europe to be able to cover the 300k+ loan payment every month, but looking at these early figures, just getting our average attendance up a few k might be enough.

Anyways. Early days yet, but I think I should be able to avoid relegation this season. The squad isn't great, but at least it's reasonably balanced.

Can we score enough goals, will be the main question - that already cost us several points in the opening matches of the season. I have six strikers, which is plenty, but my scouts all rate them pretty much equal: "decent." Time will tell.

Finally, for those who are familiar with the Belgian First Division, a quick look at the past winners.

Looks like Club Brugge is the team to beat lately. (And since that's the team I support IRL, I don't mind that.)

Standard is staying true to tradition, with several second place finishes. Anderlecht and Genk are mainly mid-table teams now.

KVSK Lommel seems to be the surprise strong team of the last 4 years, though they're off to a slow start this season.

Hopefully I can get Meldert featured on that screen within the next few seasons. icon_smile.gif

Migwar, my philosophy against bigger teams is to attack like a rampaging wilder beast. I play attacking football anyway in the league but I often turn it up a notch when I'm up against vastly superior opposition. I'm not gonna go down lightly and let them pressure me, we're going down screaming icon_smile.gif

Having said that I've lost to Sporting 1-0 away and Sevilla 3-0 at home in champions league groups already but it worked against Bremen :p

Originally posted by Dave Vessey:

Good stuff CoachFlu. Enjoying reading your updates. I have a fondness for FM games in Belgium, mostly because of the lack of restrictions on foreigners. You scouting all of Europe now?

icon_smile.gif

Indeed, since this season I can finally send my scouts outside of Belgium.

The main result of that so far is this guy. Released from Atletico Madrid, now one of the best paid players of my team. (The best paid one is a DC I snatched from Sint Truiden.)

I'm hoping to find some cheap (wage-wise) Eastern Europeans by next season. icon_smile.gif

migwar's Big Slovakian Adventure

FC Púchov - 1st Division - 2010/11

---End of Season Update---

Well, I really cant tell you what a season I had. At the winter break we'd been top of the table for weeks and I didn't think it could last, but it did. Our form fluctuated greatly, from 4-0 home defeats with barely a shot on target, to 3-0 away wins against title contenders.

By the last month we were losing more than we were winning, and we slipped off top spot a few times, but the surrounding teams seemed to be no better. With 2 games to go we slipped to 2nd and it was out of our hands, but the team in first lost and we won. That left us top by 2 points and a draw in the final game would clinch it...

Final Game

So we won!

FC Púchov - Champions of Slovakia for the first time!

Final Standings

League Graph

As you can see it was generally a good season, but our position really flatters us, and there are at least 6 other teams with considerably better players in the league.

Not that I'm gonna turn down a shot at the Champions League Qualifiers...

Player of the Season went to Jelsic for the 3rd year in a row. He was our top scorer by 10 goals, despite being injured for half the season.

My Player of the Season

A special mention must first go to Peter Basista. He was an absolute rock in the heart of our defence this season. One of 4 new centre backs brought in over the summer, and he stayed fit for the whole season. A real asset

But without doubt the player who tranformed my team was Karim Guede. Our only current full international, and just sublime. Great passing, great tackling and never seemed to tire. We really couldn't have done it without him.

And all of this brought me my first Award. To be honest I'm not even sure if our league runs a Manager of the Month award. If we do, I've never even had a third place. This was icing on the cake icon_smile.gif

-- Hopes for 2011/12 --

Well, obviously I'd like to progress beyond the first games of the Champions league, which is the 2nd Qualifying round. Unlike I stated earlier in the thread I'm playing Salzburg. Hopefully this means I can gather some more support from the Scandanavian contingent...

I dont have any more money than last year, so I cant buy any players. As I said earlier there's no prize money in the league, which sucks. Also my manager reputation is National, and so is the club's and we can still only scout in our local area, Eastern Europe.

So finger crossed for the Champions League, and I'll let you all know how it goes...

Finished my first season yesterday. Report (and introductory post, come to think of it) to come maybe tonight, probably tomorrow.

As a teaser: Started up with Karlovac, their guys were mostly really bad, made a couple of really good signings and we were named overachievers of the season, finishing 7th in the league (and finishing really strong too...)

Spa pre-season 09/10

Season ticket sales massive difference icon_biggrin.gif

Have had a really good off-season my scout found some players with good attributes, so I snapped them up. I have no transfer budget and the wage bill has been reduced by £400. Hoping for a good cup run and consolidation in the league. However I do feel my team may be good enough for a promotion bid.

Anyway would write more but the missus is bleeting on about something (wedding plans presumably) icon_confused.gif

NK Novalja, Croatian Second Division, Season 2009/10.

End of Season Table.

So a massive improvement from the previous season gaining 14 more points and finishing 4 places higher. Overall I'm very happy.

The squad that did it. Semialjac the star man with 18 goals, runner up in the young player of the season and the supporters player of the season. I've already turned down a quarter million bid. I really need to keep hold of him if I want to progress.

We managed to get another feeder club although the board now won't allow any more. We're also set to go pro once the finances are sorted; 95% of everyone at the club including staff and now me too after getting a new 2 year contract are on full time deals.

Finally; Manager Overview. & Club Information.

I'm really hoping for promotion next time around as I'm going to start losing my best players the longer I stay in the this division.

Roll on the new season... icon_cool.gif

History

Season 2008/09 Second Division 7th.

Season 2009/10 Second Division 3rd.

Make sure you go down fighting in Europe migwar, I just lost 7-3 to Bordeaux away, at least people will remember us!

Austrian teams should be quite easy to beat with a little luck its 3rd qualifying that stuff gets really serious.

Archived