Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, so a 6000 stadium with no extra facilities in a small Croatian town is worth 1.2 million pounds, while a brand spanking new 11000 stadium with undersoil heating costs 1.4 million? Something definitely off there.

By the way, I saw your post in the bugs forum, and if you want the testers to be able to view your screenshot you need to upload it to the SI ftp icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Quacky:

iacovone that has to be one of the craziest result I've ever seen. Did you decide to go all out insanity attacking mayhem or they have an under 18 player in goal or something?

You're telling me. Crazy times. I didn't do anything different! Just my usual 4-4-2 counter attacking formation. Spurs had a full team out, no grey players. They were runners up in the Champions League in 2012 making the result even better.

We went through after a great win at home. Again Spurs had a very strong side out. I have no idea how we've done this but bring on the group stages! icon_cool.gif

If you want to see any screenies of the Spurs team just ask.

Originally posted by endtime:

Right, so a 6000 stadium with no extra facilities in a small Croatian town is worth 1.2 million pounds, while a brand spanking new 11000 stadium with undersoil heating costs 1.4 million? Something definitely off there.

By the way, I saw your post in the bugs forum, and if you want the testers to be able to view your screenshot you need to upload it to the SI ftp icon_smile.gif

Tried uploading the jpeg to the ftp but it just stays on the copying screen. (I used copy and paste). Any idea how to succeed in this?

Mosside – 2009/10 – Northern Irish 2nd division

Media Prediction: 8th

Final Position: 1st!!! icon14.gif

Irish Cup: 3rd round – Got embarrased by Holywood 7-3 icon13.gif

Intermediate Cup: 1st Round – lost 3-1 to Markethill icon13.gif

Intermediate League Cup: Quterfinal - lost to Mayola Park 1-2

Antrim Trophy: Third Round – we countinue are losing to non league teams in the cups going down 3-1 to Dunagy icon_mad.gif

Top-scorer: Timmy Grant– 20 goals in 26 games.

Supporters Player of The Year: Neil Burton

Player of The Year: Neil Burton

This year was great in the league, we won the league with 2 games to spare and we beat are title rivals to win the league icon14.gif, but this year the cups sucked-arse with us getting a stuffing from Holywood and dunaghy, we also had an embarrasing loss to Markethill icon13.gif, but atleast we got promotion, my regen striker(Neil Burton) did sepurb, he has matured and he has also made 5 caps for the Turks and Caicos national team icon_redface.gif, he is obviously my best player and my aim this year is to get a top-half finish, I think we can do it!

Next season Plan:

• Get new assman

• Get a new keeper

• Finish Mid-table

UGS - Challenge League - Winter Break 2009-10

First surprise of the summer came from my board. They evidently decided to ignore the 10-points-from-17-games second half of the first season and offered me a new 2-year contract on double the wage, 1 year early. Not complaining.

My priorities during the summer were purchasing any semblance of a striker to provide at the very least some kind of back up and a GK to replace the 2 I had. A Cape Verdian provided the former from Lausanne while all attempts to get a young GK on loan failed so panic started to set in until a couple of weeks before the start of the season I stumbled across a couple on the free transfer market.

And that was it. A couple left on a free but nothing else.

Started with 2 unlucky 0-1 defeats and then won the third 1-0, no problems I thought. Wrong, the next 3 were lost 0-2, so we had 3 points and 1 goal from the first 6 matches :/. The 7th provided much more, 6 goals, 4 for us. We then promptly lost the next 3 without scoring a goal. Evidently I should have bought more than 1 backup striker.

In reality we were pretty boring to watch. In the first 16 games, only in 2 matches did more than 1 team score a goal icon_biggrin.gif. We had scored a mighty 8 by that stage (6 of those in 2 matches) but had never conceded more than 2 in a match. There was promptly a 3-3 draw. We then lost the last 4 matches before the break, admittedly 3 were against teams in the top 4. We were more entertaining to watch in those 6 matches, 25 goals in total.

Despite all this we have not actually been in the relegation zone this season (yet). The table looks like this.

As you can see, Servette's defensive record is totally and utterly ridiculous icon_eek.gif. I don't remember ever seeing anything like that in CM/FM over such a long period. They did not concede a goal in their first 12 games ffs. Despite that if Delemont had not lost their final match they'd only be in 2nd icon_biggrin.gif.

Anyway, we should be OK, 3-4 more wins might suffice to be safe. To be fair, we rarely play badly, it is just a total inability at times to get anything on target and in the net. I have tried several varying tactics (2 upfront and an AMC at the moment) but little seems to change. Plus conceding injury time winners to lose 3 matches 0-1 (including one where we had missed an 85th minute pen) does not help.

Also finally after over 1.5 seasons, in the last match before the break we were able wear our away strip \o/. Evidently not many clubs play in the same delightful shade of violet as we do.

And I want to moan about the Swiss Cup as well.

Last season we lost 0-1 in the first round to some non-league club, mainly because I chucked out a weakened side. They then lost to a team I did the double over, who promptly got to the semis having not played another league club afterwards. That could have easily been me.

This season we lost on penalties after a goalless draw (as if it would have been any other type of draw :icon_smile.gif) to Winterthur who were relegated last season. They have just qualified for the semis having not played another league club afterwards :icon_smile.gif. That could have easily been me.

icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

Skjetten Newsflash

After stunning their critics Skjetten have won the Norwegian first division.....more news to follow later........

icon_biggrin.gif

Well Done cooks. icon14.gif

It's been a while since an update, I thought you might of got lost in the Norwegian wilderness. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

New Stadium on the way! icon_biggrin.gif

Told you my chairman had big ambitions for us. Two years and counting...

(Bit disappointed about the name, boring icon13.gif)

A new stadium is a new stadium, who cares about a naff name. icon_biggrin.gif

And cheap into the bargain. I reckon it'll be made of wood or something judging by the cost. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

And cheap into the bargain. I reckon it'll be made of wood or something judging by the cost. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It only costs you £200,000 more than you got for your old ground icon_confused.gif?

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

And cheap into the bargain. I reckon it'll be made of wood or something judging by the cost. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It only costs you £200,000 more than you got for your old ground icon_confused.gif? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. Look above Jimbo this has been discussed, seems like it could be a bug. Unless you have any other ideas how it could be so cheap!?

2 seasons back when we had a stadium expansion it cost us 4.5 million for 3,000 seats to be added.

I know Norway's one of the most expensive countries in the world so I dread to think of the cost of a potential new ground.

Doughty takes Sala hotseat!

Manager Profile - 07/2008

They think it's all over! Well it is now!

I have taken charge of the mighty Hapoel Ashkelon in the Israeli National Division, and hope to progress the side slowly and surely to the Premier Division and into Europe with the big boys.

My main targets will be midfielders, although I don't have a transfer budget, so it might be difficult to get the targets I'm after.

We are now 9 games into the season and Randaberg are unbeaten! icon_eek.gif Our record reads 6 wins & 3 draws which leaves us in second position. The most impressive thing so far this season is this. icon_smile.gif

I feel if we don't escape the 1.divisjon this season then we may lose the lad, as the vultures are circling. icon_frown.gif

Spartak Subotica 2009/10 Final

After bizarre promotion due to league reorganization and even more bizarre vast number of European places available this was a season to try and make it count and grab one of the slots. By finishing up in 6th we managed to grasp a UEFA cup slot, if Europe hadn't been messed up we would have just missing intertoto on goal difference. The whole thing was set up with a couple of good runs of form as you see from the spiky graph and included a great victory over Red Star.

I struggled for goals all season but almost every one came through my best player with a ridiculous name Dalibor Crkvenjakov who either swings in a dangerous cross from the right or scores himself. It will be very hard to keep him at the club.

Not that these mean much with the bugs but coefficients, 153rd 16.045, 4th 52.875 probably both about double what they should be.

We are now 9 games into the season and Randaberg are unbeaten! icon_eek.gif Our record reads 6 wins & 3 draws which leaves us in second position. The most impressive thing so far this season is this. icon_smile.gif

I feel if we don't escape the 1.divisjon this season then we may lose the lad, as the vultures are circling. icon_frown.gif

That's incredible! Can we see his history page?

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

That's incredible! Can we see his history page? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's now 17 goals in 11 games! icon_smile.gif

Stian Ringstad history page.

Mosside. 1st Division. 1st Oct 2011.

We've only lost 6 leage games in about 47, but have somehow been beaten by 7 "grey" teams in the same time.

As a result we have not progressed as far in various Cups as I would like and have obviously lost both prize money and attendance income as a result.

With that in mind, the financial situation is more than a little worrying.

Our balance currently stands at £498,886 o/d despite the fact that we have never spent a pennt on a single player and despite the fact that we have never gone over our wage budget.

We lost £195,547 last season and although we are now £594 pw under our wage budget, we are still losing money hand over fist.

The board now feel that I should be performing slightly better in my role as manager and are particularly angry about the state of the clubs bank balance.

If I'm within my wage budget, and I haven't spent any money on players, then how exeatly is the state of the clubs finances my responsibility. Isn't that what setting budgets is all about?

How is everyone else's finances going?

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

That's not incredible.

This is incredible. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

That's not incredible.

This is incredible. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is icon_eek.gif

is he your peg or freekick taker icon_confused.gif

Spartak Subotica 2010/11 Ninja Update

After beating Red Star last season in a tight game it hinted at the old masters being toppled in Serbia. Early on in this season we faced Partizan away from home and destroyed them with clinical finishing. The old hierarchy is falling, revolution has begun!

I put this down to adopting the same formation as I used in Békéscsaba which is now playable thanks to aquiring better holding players for the centre midfield and exciting winger Erik Grendel. Very important to have quality wingers that can finish in this system.

Just getting round to starting this challenge now, a little late! Wooops!! Decided to start in Greece - flicking through the 20 pages, hardly anyone has picked Greece. I've went for AO Proodeftiki Neolaia - just so happens that Panathinaikos are their parent club.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/CaptainStarbus...roodeftiki-Start.jpg

Think I've found a bug

Take a look at the screen shot, as I've said in the past, you are allowed 4 foreigners in the starting 11 at any one time. At the start of the game I had 3 - Daniels, Gomez and Ratiu. Now Ratiu and Semialjac got light injuries and came off leaving 2 foreigners. I then brought on Milano and Paoletti to take the foreigners up to 4. Now at the point of this screenshot Paoletti got injured and so I wanted to bring on Sturma (another foreigner) so this should keep it at 4 foreigners. And yet I'm told I can't make the change!

Why?! Can anyone see anything I've missed??

Mosside – 2010/11 – Northern Irish 1st division

Media Prediction: 10th

Final Position: 1st icon_eek.gif

Irish Cup: 3rd round – lost ot non-league Clough rangers icon_mad.gif

Intermediate Cup: 2nd Round – went out on penalties to Fivemiletown icon13.gif

Intermediate League Cup: Semifinal - lost to Glenavon on penalties icon_biggrin.gif

Antrim Trophy: Forth Round – will this losing to non-league teams stop we got beat by crap Desertmartin 2-3! icon_frown.gif

Top-scorer: Ryan Mcllmoyle 17 goals in 20(1) games.

Supporters Player of The Year: Neil Burton

My Player of The Year: Lance Adams

The cups were crap we got knocked out by three non-league teams and it's really getting on my nerves, we destroyed are league yet the players can't beat ******g Desertmartin icon_frown.gif, back to are league we won the league with three games to go after beating PSNI and we ended up 19 points clear at the end of the season amazingly we only lost once, I wish it would be this easy in the cups,

in January I lost my star defender for 325k to Stoke, my chairman took offers to his own hand and I lost my best defender icon_rolleyes.gif, but it did solve my money troubles(for now) and I made 325k profit on him!(yep I got him on free, try Bermuda icon_cool.gif) on a higher note I found more stars from Bermuda in January I signed 16 year old Lance Adams on a free transfer he scored 10 goals in 12!, he performed amazing while burton was injured, lance and burton will be key players for me next year, who says Bermuda and turks and caicos are weak icon_wink.gif.

Cofficents Watch: Northern Irealnd remain 46th in the Cofficents.

Next season Plan:

• Survive in the Premier League!

• Get a new keeper(again)

Well I've finally done it! It took me about a month but I've finally worked out how to print screen on my new laptop. Damn "hotkey" icon_mad.gif

I think I introduced myself about 7 pages back and said I was starting out in Belarus.....

Well scrap that. I've took over my beloved Pitea from last years challenge (who's data I lost not long after winning the premiership icon_mad.gif). I'm anticipating the same problems.....council owning ground and not letting me expand, chairman selling best players and not turning pro until for years until we are an established premiership side..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Club Information

I was really pleased to see them get promoted and the squad was pretty much the same as last year!!

Managed to sign an old friend of the challenge, a season earlier this time too.

Burda

I remember someone posting his stats from their game on here a few weeks back and he was nothing like that ^^^. I'm already about half waythrough my first season and Burda has his fair share of goals/assists. I'm playing him on the right wing at the moment, the two up front are undropable icon_wink.gif

Let the "fun" begin icon_redface.gif

Dammit, unbeaten season ruined again. Lost 3-2 to Istra.

They had 5 shots on target, we had 14. They had 39% possession, we had 61%. Grrr. icon13.gif

On the up side our facilities have been improved again. Top training facilities and Good youth facilities. Still no academy though icon_confused.gif

This surprised me to say the least!!

Anyone else experience this?

1) Its only the end of my first season.

2) I'm over 100k in the red

3) This "synthetic" pitch (and stadium presumably) only has 18 seats less than my current stadium would have with the expansion!

4) In last years challenge I wasnt able to expand at all due to the council's ownership of the ground. Seems they've changed their tune icon_biggrin.gif

I knew the club had good facilities in real life (an academy on the game) but this is something else icon_smile.gif

Slavonija Champions League Update

Liverpool 6 - 0 Slavonija icon13.gif Welcome to the Champions League proper!

Slavonija 3 - 2 Lyon - Our first Champions League victory - we were dominated as you can see but in our position we'll take it however it comes!

Slavonija 1 - 1 Panathinaikos - Similar story, largely dominated but more due to the fact we played 70 minutes with 10 men, good result.

Panathinaikos 3 - 4 Slavonija - Cracking game, what a result! icon14.gif

Slavonija 2 - 3 Liverpool - Much better in the return game, unlucky to lose though.

Lyon 3 - 2 Slavonija - Probably deserved to lose this one. But decent performance

Overall table - All in all more than I expected, we only shamed ourselves in the Liverpool away game where I think the occasion got the better of us. But the other two games we lost we lost by only 1 goal. icon14.gif

So came 3rd and were seeded for the first knockout round of the Uefa cup. Among some incredible fixtures (Celtic v Roma, PSG v Juve, Tottenham v Real Madrid, Dortmund v PSV, Depor v CSKA) we drew Porto. icon_rolleyes.gif Will be tough.

Originally posted by iacovone:

Slavonija Champions League Update

Thought it'd be a lot tougher against Club Brugge. I was wrong.

Yeah, Belgian teams seem to be pretty crappy in FM08. That's even the case in my game, and I'm playing in Belgium (so if there's an 'active league bias' thing, I'm not noticing it).

Then again, Belgian teams are pretty crappy in reality as well, so I suppose it's realistic. icon_smile.gif

Meldert, Belgium - December 13th 2020

I'll start with the European part.

Coefficients:

Club: 157th 17.159

Nation: 22nd 18.675 (1-2-1)

Our club coefficient is rising nicely each year, but not enough yet to be seeded in the Third Qual Round, which would really be helpful.

We got through the Second Qual Round fairly easily (we were seeded for that one) with a 5-3 aggregate score against Buducnost from Montenegro.

But CSKA Moscow was a bit too strong in the Third Qual Round. We played very poorly at home, and lost 0-2. The away match was a bit better, and we managed to win it 0-1, but that was a bit flattering. We never looked strong enough to push for extra time.

So we got another chance in the UEFA Cup First Round. I was a bit disappointed that we weren't seeded for that one either, but we could've drawn tougher opponents than Slavia Prague.

After a nice 1-2 win in Prague, which was my 500th match, things looked well under control, but again we played a poor home match. We lost 1-4 after extra time, and were out of Europe.

Ah well, can't get lucky every year. At least that put my main focus on the league, and that may not be a bad thing.

Mid-season table

Looks like we're shaping up for a tough three-way battle, for a change. 39 points is, if I'm not mistaken, the highest amount I've had at this stage of the season, but two teams are keeping up with the pace.

And not just any two teams either, this time. Anderlecht and Standard are two teams who you'd expect to challenge for the title, and although they haven't always performed well over the years, when they keep pace until mid-season that worries me more than when, say, Cercle Brugge keeps pace, like last season. So I don't expect to cruise to the title this time.

On the bright side though, we were tied with Anderlecht until we just now faced them on MD17, and we played the perfect away match and demolished them 0-6. Hopefully I can take that morale boost into the second half of the season.

It's been another injury-filled season so far though, but luckily it hasn't effected our results all that much. A fair few narrow wins where we only just got away with the three points, but they count just the same.

This also feels a bit like a pre-transitional season. I had very little luck finding good players on the free market this time, so my few new signings aren't as quality as I wanted them to be, and most are short term measures.

With some of the squad players just not good enough any more, some of the first team players getting old, and some others nagging about moving to bigger clubs, I may have a lot of work on my hands to rebuild the squad next summer.

I've been picking up some promising youngsters here and there the past few seasons, and some of those look like they may turn into useful players, but next season may just be one season too soon to turn them into first team regulars.

We're at the level now where finding quality players for free isn't all that easy anymore, so it looks like spending some cash is inevitable. I already broke my transfer record this summer, paying 375k euro for a 28-year old DRC. I have a feeling I'll need to spend more than that next summer, to fill some gaps.

In that respect, not reaching a group stage in Europe will hurt a bit. It looks like I'll get some income another way though.

After several offers, I finally caved and accepted a 7 mil offer for my 23-year old Russian international DLC. Sad to see him go, since he's the best defender I have, but he has 18 months left on his contract and has been nagging about a bigger club for a while now. (it's a recent offer, so he hasn't agreed yet, but if he does, he'll leave at the end of the season)

Anyways, most of that is a concern for later in the season. In the mean time, I have another title to win. And a cup. The board expects me to win both, and since they're already quite disappointed about our performance in Europe, I best try to keep them pleased.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

That's not incredible.

This is incredible. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He may be a goalscoring GK but he ain't no Stian Ringstad. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Joshisapoolie:

3) This "synthetic" pitch (and stadium presumably) only has 18 seats less than my current stadium would have with the expansion!

4) In last years challenge I wasnt able to expand at all due to the council's ownership of the ground. Seems they've changed their tune icon_biggrin.gif

I knew the club had good facilities in real life (an academy on the game) but this is something else icon_smile.gif

It's good to see Burda still doing the rounds in this challenge thread, I'll never tire of reports involving him. At the end of each season maybe you could write a small paragraph on the lads progress during that season? icon14.gif

Synthetic pitch! Love it, too bad it's only for 8 months. icon_biggrin.gif

Well my Greece challenge has managed to screw up my computer, so after reinstalling Windows, but most importantly, Football Manager...I'm giving this challenge another go - This time in Switzerland - The most neutral country on Earth!

FC Bulle is the team

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/CaptainStarbuster/BulleProfile.jpg

Club Info

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/CaptainStarbuster/ClubInfo.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joshisapoolie:

It's good to see Burda still doing the rounds in this challenge thread, I'll never tire of reports involving him. At the end of each season maybe you could write a small paragraph on the lads progress during that season? icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do icon14.gif I was thinking about doing a "Burda watch" anyway icon_biggrin.gif

Pitea, Sweden - 08

Table

Manager overview

Top scorer/highest average/player of the year

Well, a highly productive first season icon_biggrin.gif We were predicted 1st and thankfully we lived up to expectation winning the league comfortably. A squad with an average age of 19 totally outclassed the opposition in pretty much every game. Annoyingly my only two losses were my one holidayed game (a little experiment) and my only game which I used "relax and the result will take care of itself" (last game of the season).

We had an amazing defensive record towards the end of the season, but I think teams started to work us out and we conceded a few in the last 6-7 games. Even so, we had both the best defensive record and offensive. Worthy winners in the end then icon14.gif

We're predicted 2nd in the Swedish First Division North for next season, however the bookmakers have us 14-1 for the title. I think we could do with a consolidation season for some of the youngsters to improve, but if we go straight up I won't complain icon_wink.gificon14.gif

I mentioned in an earlier post about the expansion. We packed out the 400 capacity Kvarnvallen stadium all season and we still lost money. Hopefully the 368 seat expansion will allow me a bigger wage budget.

Burda watch

An impressive first season from Burda on the wing. I was thinking of loaning him out but I felt he could use some first team action and I thought his inclusion would greatly benefit my cause, which as you can see, it did. He seems alot taller this year and his height could be a nice bonus if/when I decided to play him up front. Oh and he is the most improved player in my squad so far (in terms of his stats at the start of the 2nd season). Hopefully this is an indication of great potential icon_smile.gif

Archived