Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've FINALLY just dispatched my first "grey" team.!

Antrim Trophy 2nd Round.!

Knockbreda v Grove Utd.! (WTF)

At the time of opening this, its was 4-0, and boy was i happy, I just clicked back on FM to check the FT score, and.... 7-0...!!!!!

What a result. My superstar Striker bagged 6 goals today.!!!! Amazing scenes. Im so happy.!

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

The positions of each player is visible on the best eleven page.

Have a look at yours and then compare it to my best eleven a little further up and you will see what I mean.

Yep, I know the positions are visible I just didn't see that much difference between ours. I suppose you have a couple more versatile players. I always felt that retraining a player into a position they don't play regularly was pointless.

Nice one NepentheZ!

With all this talk about GKs taking free kicks and pens, I'm intrigued - how do I find out their hidden stats?

Also with regard to the friendlies, I just find the best way to do it is leave it to the assistant. That way you know you are going to face clubs that are 'realistic' pre season opposition. I'm personally against these money spinning friendlies, seems it makes it too easy to balance the books.

iacovone...

To see the GK's FK Stat, simply click on any of his other stats. It will bring you to the training screen for him, and there on the right hand side will be "Free Kicks" with his rating.

To see his Penalty attribute, when In an actual game, go to your tactics, Click on "View" > "Attributes" > Penalty Taking, and it will shows your GK's penalty attribute.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

iacovone...

To see the GK's FK Stat, simply click on any of his other stats. It will bring you to the training screen for him, and there on the right hand side will be "Free Kicks" with his rating.

To see his Penalty attribute, when In an actual game, go to your tactics, Click on "View" > "Attributes" > Penalty Taking, and it will shows your GK's penalty attribute.

WOW just found out my GK got a FK rating of 17 should I risk It icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by ManU@oldtrafford:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

iacovone...

WOW just found out my GK got a FK rating of 17 should I risk It icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most definitely.! You will rarely concede due to your GK taking them, and with that rating, he should bang in 10 goals a season.!

Don't you just love results like this? icon_biggrin.gif

Just one shot on target, for a last minute win, away against the league leaders Spartak. That's the first points they've dropped at home this season, and the first goal they've conceded.

Just brilliant.

I haven't been getting much FM time over the last couple of weeks, but I'm slowly progressing through our second season in the top flight. Despite the team not really being much stronger than last year, we're performing better and I'll be disappointed not to finish in the top half.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

iacovone...

Cheers, icon14.gif

7 and 4. Not gonna be taking my set pieces anytime soon. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

iacovone...

Cheers, icon14.gif

7 and 4. Not gonna be taking my set pieces anytime soon. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iacovone. My guy has 7 & 4 and has scored 39 goals.

Slavonija Uefa Cup Update

For those that have been following this seasons European updates, you will know that Slavonija came 3rd in their Champions League group and fell into the Uefa cup to face Porto. After a brave display away from home we couldn't find the net when needed at home and sadly slumped out of the competition. It was always going to be an enormous task to defeat Porto, and I'm pleased we gave them a tough game. icon14.gif

First Leg

Second Leg

Caerleon AFC - Welsh Premier League - End of 2008-09 Season Report

As promised, it's time for my end of season report for the 2008-09 season. The media prediction of a 17th placed finish was well and truly beaten, with Caerleon finishing their debut season an impressive (if i do say so myself) 7th place finish.

League Table

As the table shows, we were never really under threat of relegation once we'd played a handful of games. i had hoped for a mid-table finish so to finish in the top half was pleasing. a couple of 6-8 game unbeaten runs helped propell us up the league.

In the cups, we were knocked out of the Welsh Cup in the 3rd round. this cup was very much a cup for the lower league teams, as the semi-finalists featured at least two teams outside the top division. In the Welsh Challenge cup, as previously mentioned, we reached the semi-finals, missing out narrowly over two legs. although i am a little disappointed to have got so close, i have to say i did ride my luck a bit to get that far, and have to be pleased overall.

Squad

As the squad picture shows, we managed to get through the season with a decent-sized squad, although the 1st team pretty much picked itself.

Formation

As the screen shows, after a brief attempt at my normal 4-4-2 formation, i settled on the 5-3-2 formation. it seemed to give me a little more defensive solidarity, whilst maintaining the attacking threat we had. the wing-backs get forward well to offer good width. i have played with attacking-minded players in this position.

Players of note in my debut season were:

Panayotov Probably my player of the season. i signed him on a free and he pretty much ran the midfield for me. Good passer of the ball, he was pretty much the link between defence and attack.

Lake My only international player so far (Wales U-19s), and a home-grown player. despite his tender age, proved a useful player in midfield. looking for more from him next season.

Joyce My record signing i think so far (£8k), finished the season as top-scorer at the club. quite inconsistent in form, when he was on it, he was certainly on it. have already rejected one offer of £10k for him in the close season.

Shaw My other main goal-scorer, his stats don't do him much justice. was rated as top player at the club when i took over, i needed to be won over, which i was. Like Joyce, very inconsistent, and had a habit of missing penalties.

Thomas Possibly the most in-demand player in the league. feel like i'm rejecting offers for the lad every day!! although didn't exactly shine this season, he is definately rated as a future star, so i'm going to hang on to him for as long as i can. will look to give him more game time next season.

The only negative for the season was the finances:

Finances

As you can see, i made a fair loss on the season, and slipped into the red. the main causes of this was low attendences (i think the average was around 320) and a larger-than-necessary squad. although i have now shifted most of the deadwood, the wage budget is still pretty constant, so will need to find other ways of making some money in order to break even.

My Aims

my aims for the new season are to beat this season's league finish (i'm thinking of aiming for about 5th) with another good run in the cups to try and generate some income. reducing the losses of the club is also another target, but i'm not going to lose much sleep just yet. longer term, i want to be qualifying for europe by season 4 at the latest, and progressing onwards from there. a few more foreigners would asl be welcome!!

Quick Tolmin update

Not had much time to play either this or my San Marino game lately, but we're approaching the winter break in our first season in Slovenia, and a five match winning streak sees us in 6th, 8 points clear of relegation.

And what is even more pleasing, is those twats from Krka are bottom, and our winning streak, and first victory in any match, came 3-0 against them.

icon_biggrin.gificon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

Gundo , is it okay if i have two games? One in Ireland and one in Norway. I failed to get promoted at the first time of asking, losing out by 9 points, if i hadn't have had such a crap keeper i surely would've come atleast withing 1 point. I'm start to play badly though and i'm going to shelf it whilst loading up the Irish League, to be Downpatrick. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Could you post your best eleven rlipscombe? Jimbo suggested we all start doing it, should make it a lot easier for us all to follow the progress of our sides. icon14.gif

yeah, sure. you mean the best-XI as voted by the fans? the 'tactics' screenprint is "my best-XI" from the season..... if it's the fan's one i will do it tonight.

Originally posted by Peter G:

Gundo , is it okay if i have two games? One in Ireland and one in Norway. I failed to get promoted at the first time of asking, losing out by 9 points, if i hadn't have had such a crap keeper i surely would've come atleast withing 1 point. I'm start to play badly though and i'm going to shelf it whilst loading up the Irish League, to be Downpatrick. icon_biggrin.gif

Having two separate save games in this challenge is no problem, I'd just document them both on the challenge table. icon14.gif

Gundo, i think you need to take Ireland off of the playable list as you cannot manage there, no team is relegated. Unless i'm missing something.

The Irish league issues have been logged here. icon14.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Could you post your best eleven rlipscombe? Jimbo suggested we all start doing it, should make it a lot easier for us all to follow the progress of our sides. icon14.gif

yeah, sure. you mean the best-XI as voted by the fans? the 'tactics' screenprint is "my best-XI" from the season..... if it's the fan's one i will do it tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not the fans best eleven for the season. I mean the fans best eleven overall.

If you click on history and best eleven it will be pre-set to "seasonal" in the top right hand corner, but you can click on that and change it to view overall.

That's the one I mean because it also gives all time appearance and goal records, (in all competitions).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

yeah, sure. you mean the best-XI as voted by the fans? the 'tactics' screenprint is "my best-XI" from the season..... if it's the fan's one i will do it tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not the fans best eleven for the season. I mean the fans best eleven overall.

If you click on history and best eleven it will be pre-set to "seasonal" in the top right hand corner, but you can click on that and change it to view overall.

That's the one I mean because it also gives all time appearance and goal records, (in all competitions). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok Jimbo. i'll get that one tonight.

Unlucky ManU - at least you got to penalties!! i didn't quite manage that far.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

That's the one I mean because it also gives all time appearance and goal records, (in all competitions). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have best eleven in my history

Oops, got the wrong end of the stick there Jimbo. icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I don't have best eleven in my history </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to complete at least one season.

With regard to making money from friendly matches.

This is a similar issue that we encountered with the signing of players guidelines which we had to overcome in FM07. What I will say is I don't expect people to be abusing this feature. By that I mean and as Jimbo and others have indicated in this thread, you should only be arranging friendlies that your club would realistically be able to arrange in real life. You certainly shouldn't be organizing friendly games with the sole objective of being able get good revenue out of it.

I just want this challenge to be as realistic as possible and hope people take the above into consideration. icon_wink.gif

Thanks people. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I don't have best eleven in my history </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

plus I can't see the table graph should I be able to

Sounds good enough to me, i'd rather play against a top team and get battered than play against a low team and draw. Experience > Money. Money comes in later.

Jimbo, you'll be pleased to know i got a club very close to your heart in N.Irealand. Yes the might Lisburn Rangers. 13 full time players already, which is good, a 1000 stadium and some decent players

I have jsut signed one of the best , if not the best players in the Northern Irish Second Division. Coming all the way from Mansfield please welcome,

Martin McIntosh

How were you able to scout him? When I start out in Norn Iron my scouts are only able to scout players in the region i.e. N Ireland

icon_eek.gifCaerleon AFC - Welsh Premier League - End of 2008-09 Season Report icon_eek.gif

What a Season were should I start?

Table

well the media prediction was 16 but I by passed that by a long way. I finshed in 2nd, along way off 1st as you can see from the table TNS had a great season

In the cups, we were knocked out of the Welsh Cup in the 2nd round which was a bit disaponting . In the Welsh Challenge cup I made it to the semis in which I won the 1st leg 2-0 only to lose the 2nd 3-1 thanks to a 93 min goal, so it went to ET in which the we press hard and when all out for the win, my GK hit the bar from a 40yard FK but we could not score so I went to Pegs in which we losted. My main Sts were out as well, But we did well getting that far.

Squad

Transfers

The other two are Stephen Gardner and Clint Daniels Both Free

Here my Trials

Ameobi

My and League top goal scorer he did have two injurys which keeped him out for over 2 months but he was still world class

McQuiod

Set up most goals he was key to Ameobi form

Fotheringham

He got the goals when need

Here My Finances

Overall a very good season

There is no best 11 or table graph beacause there are noware to be seen

Meldert, Belgium - March 2021

Busy week ahead, FM-time will be very limited for a bit, so I figured I'd put up those best eleven and reminisce a bit about the stars of past and present. icon_smile.gif

Meldert all-time Best Eleven

GK - Steven Guéguin. (retired)

French goalkeeper who was at the club when I took over. Left him in the reserves for a while, but noticed after a few seasons that he looked quite promising. He was first choice for 4 seasons or so, mainly in the Second Division, between 2011 and 2015ish. Saw some First Division action, but wasn't quite up to that level. Released summer 2016.

DR - Ruben Cabrera

Spanish lad who was released by Atletico Madrid and spent five seasons as our undisputed right back. At age 31, he's now a backup for the first time. One more season remaining on his contract, and will likely be released after that, but should remain in the first eleven for a while.

DL - Quentin Lucas

French lad, picked up on a free from Bordeaux. Now in his fourth season as undisputed left back. At 29, he should have at least one more full season in him, though a youngster from my own youth setup may challenge his place next season.

DC - Bram De Taeye

Belgian, one cap. Had him on loan for a season way back when, and picked him up on a free five years later. He was a star at the back for me for several years, but at age 31 his pace has now dropped to 6, which has become a liability, so he's a backup for the first time. He should remain in the overall best eleven for quite a while though.

DC - Wouter Corstjens

Belgian. Formed a good DC pair with De Taeye for several seasons, but age caught up with him as well, and after a season as "just in case"-backup, he was released last summer. Now 34 and unemployed, he'll probably retire soon.

MR - Melvin Zaalman

Dutch AM RLC. One of the players I signed in our failed attempt to stay afloat in the First Division the first time. He was a star for us, mainly on the right wing, in our two seasons in Second when trying to regain promotion, and in our first two seasons back up. After that he became a utility bench player until he just wasn't good enough anymore. Released last summer at age 32, will probably retire soon.

ML - Jean-Baptiste Yakassongo

Belgian. Good squad player with a long history at the club, but he only was an undisputed first choice for a few early seasons. Played as a striker at first, to take advantage of his 18 pace. 2014/15 was his best season on the left wing, since then he's either been in a rotation or a clear backup. At 31, his pace now dropped to 13, and his role at the club is probably over.

MC - Kalifa Marty

French. Picked up at a reasonably young age, he's now in his sixth season as a first choice center mid, so his place in the Eleven is well deserved. Not quite an absolute star (lacks a bit in the physical department), but a very solid player. At 28, he should have at least two more good seasons in him to cement his place in the Eleven for decades to come.

MC - Ghiuzy Chirishingu

Belgian. Not really one I'd put in the overall Best Eleven, but he's been a squaddie for so long that he collected more appearances than the better players who came and went after two or three seasons. Had a few good seasons, long ago, but has been a backup for a while now, for "need 6 Belgians in the squad" emergencies. Has been transfer listed for a while, will probably be released soon.

FC - Alex Lambrechts

Belgian. If there's one absolute star in Meldert history, this is the one. Fans player of the year almost every season. The pacey striker type. Now in his seventh season as Meldert star up front, and at age 27, he has a bit more in him. Was finally called up to the Belgium squad this season, but didn't get to play, so remains ridiculously uncapped.

FC - Jeroen Mertens (retired)

Belgian. Really has no place in the Best Eleven, certainly not as a forward. 95% of the matches he played was on the right wing, where he performed well enough, back in the Third Div and Second Div days. Was released ages ago, and will hopefully disappear from the Best Eleven eventually. The fact that he's still in it is because my second strikers usually move on after two or three seasons.

Subs:

GK - Patrick Jansen

Dutch, one cap. A kid I picked up at age 17 and groomed into the starting goalie role. Now in his third season as starter. At age 23, he has plenty of time to push up into the Best Eleven, though he may want a bigger club eventually. Will be in goal for at least one more full season though, which may be enough to move up.

DR - Patrick Verbrugghe

Belgian. Another squaddie, now in his tenth season at the club. Had a few good seasons some time ago, and is still a decent player who can fill in when needed, but his pace of 7 has made him second choice for a while now. He picks up a few matches every season in case of injury, or when I'm short on Belgian players in the match squad. Aged 28 now, so he may get a few more appearances in the next two seasons, but he shouldn't move up into the Eleven.

ML - Alexander Fischer

German. His fourth season on the left wing, one in rotation, three as a starter, though he's a bit injury prone. He's quality, and at 25 he should be able to get into the Eleven, but he's been unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. Still under contract for two seasons, but will probably let him go after one, so may not make it into the Eleven.

MR - Oladapo Oluyi Olufemi

Nigerian, 13 caps. Quality right winger who joined the club when we ventured into Europe. Sadly a bit too old to make it into the Eleven, which he'd deserve on quality if not quantity. At 32, his attributes are now on a steep decline, so a replacement is being rotated in. He'll remain a backup for one more season, and will then probably be released.

FC - Romélu Lukaku

Belgian. Had a great season when I loaned him as a youngster, and still holds the club's League Goals record (34). Had one more fine season once I signed him some time later, but then I found some quality Spanish strikers, and Lukaku gradually dropped down the picking order. 29 now, and one more season under contract, but he won't see much action.

icon_eek.gifCaerleon AFC - Welsh Premier League - End of 2008-09 Season Report icon_eek.gif

Table

well the media prediction was 16 but I by passed that by a long way. I finshed in 2nd, along way off 1st as you can see from the table TNS had a great season

In the cups, we were knocked out of the Welsh Cup in the 2nd round which was a bit disaponting . In the Welsh Challenge cup I made it to the semis in which I won the 1st leg 2-0 only to lose the 2nd 3-1 thanks to a 93 min goal, so it went to ET in which the we press hard and when all out for the win, my GK hit the bar from a 40yard FK but we could not score so I went to Pegs in which we losted. My main Sts were out as well, But we did well getting that far.

Squad

Transfers

Here my Trials

Ameobi

My and League top goal scorer he did have two injurys which keeped him out for over 2 months but he was still world class

McQuiod

Fotheringham

Here My Finances

There is no best 11 or table graph beacause there are noware to be seen

Aims/Targets

<LI> Imporve Defence

<LI> Get better back up GK

<LI> Get better LM

<LI> Put up more of a challenge for the title

<LI> Try to go on a decent run In Euro

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

My first trophy, hopefully there will be more to follow in the future.

I can't get the link to work but Congrats anyway icon14.gif, but which Suck Ass Cup did you win icon_biggrin.gif? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Intermediate League Cup.

Table

Squad

Best 11

Transfers

Here my Trials

Ameobi

My and League top goal scorer he did have two injurys which keeped him out for over 2 months but he was still world class. Also was Fans Player of the season

McQuiod

Fotheringham

Here My Finances

There is table graph beacause it is nowere to be seen

Aims/Targets

<LI> Imporve Defence

<LI> Get better back up GK

<LI> Get better LM

<LI> Put up more of a challenge for the title

<LI> Try to go on a decent run In Euro

ManU@OldTrafford - Great season you had there mate.! That young lad Ameobi looks like a killer fast striker too.! Keep us updated on his career.! Well done on finishing 2nd.! Hope you nab 1st place next year.

happy slappy - Congratulations mate. Good luck in the next season.!!!! Also, pmsl @ The image title icon_wink.gif

Slavonija End of Season Update - 2017/18 (Season 10) - Cro First Div

Media Prediction - 2nd icon_rolleyes.gif

League Final Position - 1st icon_smile.gif

Champions League - Group Stage (finished 3rd)

Uefa Cup - First Knockout Round (lost to Porto 6-3 on aggregate)

Croatian Cup - Winners

We amassed the highest number of points seen in the Croatian league with 85 coming our way. Here is the table and

graph showing our domination. As always I was a bit disappointed not to go unbeaten all season but that will have to be an ambition for next year.

In Europe we performed valiently in the Champions League, destroying Tottenham 11-3 on aggregate to qualify for the group stage! In the groups we did ourselves proud and came 3rd giving us a route into the Uefa Cup. Here we played Porto and with odds stacked against us we did indeed bow out of Europe. However I was pleased with the seasons efforts and we seem to be taking to Europe much better and faster than I thought we would. icon14.gif

In the seasonal awards we took a clean sweep of the Young Player of the Year award.

Here is the young player of the year Alexander Daniels - He has been a revelation this season, one of my tricky rapid wingers that really do cause so much trouble in Croatia. Able to play on either flank, he has terrorised the opposition this year. Clubs from round Europe have been sniffing around him though and it really will be hard to keep him here. icon_frown.gif

Fans Player of the Year - Alexander Daniels - Not too suprising, read above for reasons why he deserved this. icon14.gif

My Player of the Year - Maurizio Paoletti - I thought Maurizio would pick up the fans player of the year after becoming the clubs first favoured personnel in 10 years! He was bought in the summer after my scout came across him at the Euro U21 Championships. As you can see he doesn't really have weaknesses and is clinical in the box. I never believed we'd be able to keep him for too long and with interest growing this summer it looks like I may have to sell him on to the highest bidder.

Top Goalscorer - Razvan Ratiu - Followed 23 goals in his first season with 21 in all competitions this time around. Very consistent goalscorer and a firm favourite of mine. Thought he would be outshone by the two Italians signed this year, but never let me down and always bagged a goal when we needed one. icon14.gif

Promising Players:

Michal Sturma - Spotted in Czech Rep by scouts at the age of 16 and signed at the age of 17. Sturma has a great deal of potential. Played well this season when used (23 games, 2 goals, 7 assists, av rating - 7.17)and has bags of potential. Picked up 4 caps for Czech Republic already.

Kresimir Magic - Brilliantly named Magic has been my first real prospect from the academy that stands a chance of playing regularly for Slavonija. Still improving.

Igor Jovicic - Signed this pre season from Cibalia for 170k. Expect him to be a big player for us in a few years. Croatian too - big plus. icon14.gif

Sinisa Lucic - Signed from Istra 1961 and was last years Croatian Player of the Year. With his pace and history of goalscoring I expect him to do well.

Finances - Very healthy and a new sponsership deal was announced just recently.

Club News - 1 year until we move into the new stadium now. Both kinds of training facilities are currently being improved and the club is running well.

Records - Zdravko Semialjac has surpassed Ante Popovic as the clubs all time leading goalscorer with 73 now.

Overall Best 11 - Not too sure why Boris Maric has no stats. He has retired but so has Almir Rascic and his stats are still there. icon_confused.gif

Ambitions

So with next season approaching I will do the usual offloading of deadwood. I'm also looking to find the best Croatian talent around as the foreigners rule really does make it difficult to get a settled 11. In Europe I hope we can progress to the group stage again. On to season 11 icon_cool.gif

Slavonija Journey So Far:

2008/09 - 8th in 2nd Div

2009/10 - 3rd in 2nd Div

2010/11 - 3rd in 2nd Div

2011/12 - 1st in 2nd Div

2012/13 - 10th in 1st Div

2013/14 - 7th in 1st Div

2014/15 - 9th in 1st Div

2015/16 - 1st in 1st Div

2016/17 - 1st in 1st Div

2017/18 - 1st in 1st Div

Gundo - for you:

3 domestic titles

Uefa Coeff - 157th - 16.276

Nation Coeff - 23rd - 15.925

Has anyone got any recommended players for Lisburn Rangers i just cannot win.

Peter G.

Gk McIlmurray.

DL McMillen.

DR Doherty

DR Ciaran.

DC Whiteside.

DC Hogg.

DM Doherty.

MC Pedlow.

MC Harris.

TM Jamieson.

Sorry, don't have full names.