Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by iacovone:

Slavonija Champions League Update

Quarter Finals

Inter (a) - A superb comeback from the boys in Milan. Our record against Inter is not bad at all. The famous run to the semi finals in 2019/20 saw us defeat Inter both home and away and although we have since lost and drawn 2 (including this result) we can take a lot of encouragement to the home leg. A tactical change at half time really turned things around in what became an even game. Murat and Lucic were once again on form for us icon14.gif.

Inter (h) - Fantastic! A 1-1 draw at home sends us through on away goals! The holders are out icon_biggrin.gif! We resisted the inevitable bombardement well and can take great confidence from this result as we march into the semi's for only the 2nd time ever. icon_cool.gif

Semi Final Draw

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Sporting v CSKA

Slavonija v Liverpool</pre>

So we take on the mighty Liverpool. This is a worrying proposition. They have an incredible forward who has absolutely everything. I think I'm going to change tactics and play a holding midfielder against him to man mark. Wish me luck...

I may be a Liverpool fan, however, I'm rooting for Slavonija!

4-2 Aggregate win for the boys from Croatia I feel.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

McNeil - unlucky against Roma there - you gave them a real good run for their money!! icon14.gif

Thanks mate, got a nice budget sitting behind me lost a few key players in summer, to Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev, so i have a transfer budget of just short of £20M now icon_razz.gif and the club have a healthy bank balance of £35.32M icon_biggrin.gif so the club are heading in the correct direction (Shakhtar get to much cash in this game icon_frown.gif )

Slavonija Champions League Update - 23/24

Semi Finals

Liverpool (h) - Not one to enjoy playing the first leg at home I was apprehensive. How wrong I was!! Absolutely incredible!! How on earth we managed this I don't know!! 4-1 to Slavonija icon_eek.gif. We are on the cusp of something quite brilliant here..... icon_biggrin.gif

The game itself went almost to plan. I had Jaime Garcia in the anchor role dropping back to man mark Colin Welch. Now despite him scoring - this was a rebound and he was pretty anonymous throughout. And with this platform to build on, the deadliest strikeforce in Europe (icon_cool.gif) went about their business and put Liverpool to the sword! 4-1...still in shock. Can we go to New Anfield and hold this lead???

442to445 your 4-2 prediction could still come true! Also good luck at Tornado. What a name that is!

Originally posted by bnek:

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

WOW!!!!!

SLAVONIJA SLAVONIJA!!!!

SLAVONIJA SLAVONIJA!!!!

WE ALL LOVE SLAVONIJA!!!!

SLAVONIJA SLAVONIJA!!!!

SLAVONIJA SLAVONIJA!!!!

WE ALL LOVE SLAVONIJA!!!!

Whs icon_biggrin.gif

Slavonija Champions League Update - 23/24

Semi Finals - 2nd leg

Liverpool (a) - icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif Well we may have lost the match 3-2 but we're into the Champions League Final!!!! icon_eek.gif Would you believe it?? The game itself was tough. We got off to a horrible start and it looked as though it could be one of those games again...except it wasn't! Lucic's goal after half time near enough sent us through and when he added a 2nd right after their 2nd we really were going to the final. Mental times at Slavonija. I mean this is actually a bit incredible. We've taken out the holders Inter Milan and given Liverpool a bit of a hiding. Sporting Lisbon await us in the final - probably on paper the weakest side we have had to face post-group stage. Could it be done?! Will Slavonija complete the challenge? So long as I can keep the boys up front fit, we could do it icon14.gif.

Needless to say, I'll be playing this match very shortly. Stay tuned guys...I'm actually very nervous!!

The final is nearly here....

It's being played at Brondby Stadion in Denmark. It's a 29000 all seater. My main gripe is that it's in Scandinavia! I have a feeling all my anti-Scandinavian rants earlier in this thread may come back with a vengeance. Karma and all that...icon13.gif

Teamsheets to follow... icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

The final is nearly here....

It's being played at Brondby Stadion in Denmark. It's a 29000 all seater. My main gripe is that it's in Scandinavia! I have a feeling all my anti-Scandinavian rants earlier in this thread may come back with a vengeance. Karma and all that...icon13.gif

Teamsheets to follow... icon_cool.gif

Don't worry, the Norse Gods are with Slavonija.

Forgot to add before: Good luck. icon14.gif

Slavonija in the Champions League Final - 23/24

Line-up - To be read out in your head, and cheered simultaneously.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1. GK - Petar Barlecaj

2. RB - Ante Cindric ©

15. LB - Dubravko Siklic

24. CB - Vegard Sivertsen

6. CB - Sebastijan Obal

7. RM - Salvatore Milano

19. LM - Niko Friscic

5. CM - Per Wind

4. CM - Jaime Garcia

12. CF - Sinisa Lucic

11. CF - Sahin Murat</pre>

I'm going to watch the game in extended highlights and post small descriptions of what's going on. I know this will create a lot of consecutive posts from me but I hope that's not a problem - unless anyone can think of a better way of me doing this? I give you 5 minutes to come up with a better plan!

By the way I managed to get 12 extra tickets to the final, so it's first-come, first-served!

Hmm, problem seen already. Sporting play the same formation as Monaco. It's like a 442 diamond but very central. I basically couldn't work out how to counter it against Monaco. This is only the 3rd time I've faced this formation...could make things difficult.

5mins: Big chance for Sporting. Barlecaj saves the first effort but parries back into the area. He recovers to make a sprawling 2nd save. Phew.

9mins: Our first chance. Sinisa Lucic has a shot from the edge of the box. However it takes a deflection and ends up in the keepers arms.

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

12mins: We're showing signs that we can't compete with this formation Sporting are playing. They are passing through the middle of us and creating chances. Fernando is unlucky with a 30 yarder, whistling past the post.

13mins: I've decided to mirror their formation from here on.

20mins: Fernando whistles another 30 yarder past the post, just like his last effort.

21mins: Barlecaj makes a superb save. Tipped over Moreno's point blank header to force a corner. We are really under the cosh here, not sure why but we're not looking threatening.

29mins: Opportunity for us. Created by Lucic. He picked the ball up 35 yards out and was one on one with his marker. After shifting the ball to the left he jinked right and found himself facing just the keeper. Lucic hit it right but the keeper just tipped it round the post. Good chance for Slavonija. The resulting corner was played short to Per Wind who spread it to the edge of the box to Salvatore Milano who hit it first time. The ball fizzed into the side netting with the keeper rooted to the spot. Thought that was the opener.

36mins: Sporting got in behind us and the cut back was met by Fernando. His shot deflected to Moreno who, 6 yards out should have scored. Wind had different ideas and threw his body in the way of the shot - corner. Heroic play by Wind. icon14.gif

39mins: Milano picked the ball up 25 yards out and cracks a fine shot down the middle of the goal and Bento in goal tips it over. Seconds later, Milano had an identical chance, this time firing just over. Come on!!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Sla-vone-ee-ya!

Half Time

Worrying how many chances Sporting are having. I've stuck with their tactics and we are just about stopping them running over us. We've had probably the best chance with Lucic, but we need more. Sahin Murat has been anonymous so far. We need some inspiration from him asap

Sorry Sivertsen went off earlier than half time. I'm going mad amongst all the frantic activity here!

49mins: Big opportunity for Murat. A corner is floated in and Grubisic heads it back to the front post. Murat arrived and thumped his header just wide. Good start to the 2nd half.

51mins: Dubravko Siklic has a light injury but he has to continue. I don't trust the sub left back. Chance for Sporting as Colleter is played in on the angle. Another big save from Barlecaj as he propells the ball back from whence it came!

54mins: Lucic gets space down the left wing and fires in a low cross to the near post. A triple collision occurs between our man Murat, the keeper Bento and centre back Andrade. The ball falls agonizingly close to the goal line before Bento leaps on it.

59mins: Long range effort from Wind, just wide. He had the chance to dribble in and get one on one with Bento but he doesn't have the pace.

60mins: Big chance for Sporting. Moreno climbs highest 6 yards out but his downward header is straight at Barlecaj. Still goalless.

Bit of a let down so far!?

Archived