Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dave safc - Niki Volou - 2010/2011 - Greek National Division B

Media Prediction - 11th

Final League Position - 1st (Champions!)

Final League Table - Table

Greek Cup - 4th Round

Season Overview

A very successful season for Niki Volou! One area of the team that badly needed strengthening after last season was the defence, I consequently brought in some seasoned pros who occupied 3 of the 4 defence slots and provided a solid base on which to build.

I also devised my own tactics which I believed played to my team's strength. Goals came from all over the pitch and clean sheets were a regular occurence. We did have the tendency to lose (sometimes heavily) as shown by the 9 defeats, but I feel it was a fully deserved title. icon_cool.gif

A brief Randaberg update as we enter the final third of season 2016.

We sit top of the league with 7 games remaining, we are still in the Norwegian Cup at the semi-final stage against Trømso and a Uefa Cup first round tie awaits us against Besiktas after we got past Bratislava 3-2 on agg from the previous round.

All to play for then. Ringstad is on fire, Myhre is pulling the strings from the middle of the park and our defense is water tight. icon_smile.gif

FK Vigor - Norwegian Second Division Group 3 - End of 2008 Report

At a glance

Norwegian Second Division - Group 3

Media prediction: 13th

Board ambition: Avoid relegation

Final Standing: 5th :b:

That's it! Only one competition to kick things off again in this Challenge. It went fairly well, never in real danger of relegation, never challenging for the top, because, well... we just got promoted. From a team of all grey players (except for 2 youngsters which were bad enough), I can say I'm fairly happy with their display.

The Squad

Best XI - 2008 Edition

Squad Stats

Fans's Player of the Year: Stian Thommesen

8 goals and 5 assists were tremendous production from the wigner. He benefited a lot from the style of play that we were using in the first half of the season, with 2 wingers coming often in front and almost playing as strikers...

Manager's Player of the Year: Stian Thommesen

Singing of the season: Stian Ringstad

Don't tell me you haven't seen this coming... icon_biggrin.gif This lad has been snapped for £40K and was only there for the last part of the season. Nevertheless, he managed to score 6 goals in 8 games. At only 17, he's promised to great things.

Obscure Hero: Tore Bjerk

OK, the guy is not really obscure as he's our captain. But I feel he is a vital part of our team so far and should be mentioned somewhere. Despite "Meh!" stats, he managed to be a good part of our team's defence.

Looking forward: Askel Johnsen and Sverre Digerud were alternating in front before Ringstad came in. In the later half of the season, I changed to two strikers, as they both showed pretty good things in front. I'm looking for them to grow up and play a pretty good part in the future.

As you can see, many guys got their chance to shine in this year's success. I had no less than 12 different goal scorers and 12 different assistees.

The Club

Finances are not disastrous (yet!) and I am usually pretty good at keeping things under control, so it should be ok here.

Not much to say at this point, the board wants us to survive after 2 years in the Second Division, I'm secretly hoping to get promotion next season, maybe the one after. But I'm not telling anyone, as I don't want to pressure my guys for a mere £0.1K more per week in salary budgeté But shhhhh! Keep that as a secret, I don't want my board to know!

The Rest

Champions League: Inter won 2-2 on penalties against Arsenal

UEFA Cup: At. Madrid won 3-0 against Tottenham

Euro 2008: France won 1-0 against Spain

Norwegian Cup: Valerenga won 2-1 against Lyn Oslo

Coefficients

Norway: 19.225 - 20th (1-3-1)

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Konquest - Great first season, imvho. 5th place is admirable. Congrats. Stian should prove to be a cult hero for FK Vigor.! Good luck next season.!

Thanks...

For the record, I'm using a tactic loosely based on your thread in the Tactics forum. Pretty much how I like to play my football, but I borrowed a couple of tips and tweaks! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Konquest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Konquest - Great first season, imvho. 5th place is admirable. Congrats. Stian should prove to be a cult hero for FK Vigor.! Good luck next season.!

Thanks...

For the record, I'm using a tactic loosely based on your thread in the Tactics forum. Pretty much how I like to play my football, but I borrowed a couple of tips and tweaks! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear icon_smile.gif I'll be following your career intently icon14.gif

Well done Jazza, I found it such hard going in Iceland at the very beginning of this thread. I'm almost convinced it would be impossible to complete the challenge from Iceland.

iacovone - thanks. Yeah the goings tough, the talent pool is too small and there's not enough tv/prize money so you just end up stagnating.

Jazza - congratulations on getting out of the CL in 2 seasons Thumbs Up, and thanks for posting that just before mine thus completely rendering my point about its difficulty redundant Big Grin.

ghostwriter - Your welcome icon_razz.gif. With Bellabas and Carioti I just kept things real simple like low creative freedom, short passing etc, team talks and media comments also help getting rubbish players to out perform themselves. It's funny though, Carioti was rated by my coaches as one of the best players at the club, 7 stars, although both are really struggling along with the rest of my team in the SL.

On the player sales, they were all wanted by multiple clubs so teams seem to pay over the odds if there's competition for their signature. So what I did was transfer list them then offer them to all clubs at a high price but with 0 down and 24 monthly payments, if no one bids I just keep reducing the price a bit and re-offer until someone bites.

thanks for your sympathy... it did come as a bit of a shock in the end. i hadn't been performing in the league,and we were below our pre-season predictions. we were also losing a lot of games.

i had already written this season off, and i did feel that we would be able to bounce back next season once i had sorted out our tactics, which had been the major problem...

our finances weren't great either, as we were about £500k in the red, mainly as a result of some pre-season transfer activity, but this was fairly under control.

there weren't any major clues in the confidence either. although they were concerned about our league form & finances, the overall confidence wasn't too bad.

it has however left me in a quandry - do i restart in Czech Republic, or do i try somewhere else. i was enjoying it, so am tempted to try again, but at the same time i am still a bit bitter about it... i have until tonight to decide, when i will start again...

FK Vigor - Norwegian Second Division Group 3 - End of 2008 Report

At a glance

Norwegian Second Division - Group 3

Media prediction: 13th

Board ambition: Avoid relegation

Final Standing: 5th :b:

That's it! Only one competition to kick things off again in this Challenge. It went fairly well, never in real danger of relegation, never challenging for the top, because, well... we just got promoted. From a team of all grey players (except for 2 youngsters which were bad enough), I can say I'm fairly happy with their display.

The Squad

Best XI - 2008 Edition

Squad Stats

Fans's Player of the Year: Stian Thommesen

8 goals and 5 assists were tremendous production from the wigner. He benefited a lot from the style of play that we were using in the first half of the season, with 2 wingers coming often in front and almost playing as strikers...

Manager's Player of the Year: Stian Thommesen

Singing of the season: Stian Ringstad

Don't tell me you haven't seen this coming... icon_biggrin.gif This lad has been snapped for £40K and was only there for the last part of the season. Nevertheless, he managed to score 6 goals in 8 games. At only 17, he's promised to great things.

Obscure Hero: Tore Bjerk

OK, the guy is not really obscure as he's our captain. But I feel he is a vital part of our team so far and should be mentioned somewhere. Despite "Meh!" stats, he managed to be a good part of our team's defence.

Looking forward: Askel Johnsen and Sverre Digerud were alternating in front before Ringstad came in. In the later half of the season, I changed to two strikers, as they both showed pretty good things in front. I'm looking for them to grow up and play a pretty good part in the future.

As you can see, many guys got their chance to shine in this year's success. I had no less than 12 different goal scorers and 12 different assistees.

The Club

Finances are not disastrous (yet!) and I am usually pretty good at keeping things under control, so it should be ok here.

Not much to say at this point, the board wants us to survive after 2 years in the Second Division, I'm secretly hoping to get promotion next season, maybe the one after. But I'm not telling anyone, as I don't want to pressure my guys for a mere £0.1K more per week in salary budgeté But shhhhh! Keep that as a secret, I don't want my board to know!

The Rest

Champions League: Inter won 2-2 on penalties against Arsenal

UEFA Cup: At. Madrid won 3-0 against Tottenham

Euro 2008: France won 1-0 against Spain

Norwegian Cup: Valerenga won 2-1 against Lyn Oslo

Coefficients

Norway: 19.225 - 20th (1-3-1)

Solid first season Konquest, first season is always the toughest what with all the grey players. icon14.gif

Are you aware that reserve teams can't get promoted from the Second divisjon? So if you finish second to either Start 2 or Viking 2 then you'll still go up, certainly makes life a little easier. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Thanks...

For the record, I'm using a tactic loosely based on your thread in the Tactics forum. Pretty much how I like to play my football, but I borrowed a couple of tips and tweaks! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nepenthez - i was using your tactics, with amendments, as Blsany - i got sacked!! icon_rolleyes.gif thanks... ha ha. icon_biggrin.gif

My apologies for any lack of updates here - I'm away on business until God Knows when and won't be at home until the weekend at the earliest - My laptop is a MAc so yes, I do have FM2008 on it but my savegame is on my desktop PC so oh well, I shall just troll the forums hating each and every one of you icon_biggrin.gif

Bnek - Ok, so you're just taking the mick now LOL Great work though and I really want it to work for you. I'm sure if you can negotiate the CL qualifiers just ONCE it'll all kick on from there in Europe.

rlipscombe - That's damn unlucky but I know you've said in your updates you weren't having the greatest season but it still seems a tad harsh. If you enjoyed it though I'd say try again tbh.

Gundo - I did try and buy Stian myself, 9K + 2 players but he went to Skeid who had just gotten promoted. I shall rectify that mistake ASAP

Everyone else - KUTGW! icon14.gif It makes sitting in a hotel room of an evening a compulsive night's reading!

rlipscombe: You should try Croatia. It's a fun little league, there is a lot of talent and hidden gems and you'll be able to compete on the European Scene (i.e. actually winning a few games instead of being trashed -07 by an obscure side from Moldava)... icon_biggrin.gif

Gundo: Thanks for the kind words. I knew that the reserve teams cannot get promoted. This year, Start 2 won the league, and the team in second place got promoted.

I find that the limitation of having 4 homegrown players at all times can be quite hard, especially in the first season, as our depth is pretty inexistant right now.

Gundo - congrats on another league win...

442to445 - i did feel it was a tad harsh, but hey that's life. i'll come back better and stronger for it. icon_cool.gif i might play the Czech leagues again, but i might try somewhere else first. still a bit raw!! icon_biggrin.gif

Konquest - i have thought about Croatia, or maybe Serbia. is it a bit common though?? icon_wink.gif i reckon my shortlist is Austria, Croatia, Serbia, Denmark, Sweden... will have a play when get home later.

Randaberg - Season 08/09 - Division 2G3

CHAMPIONS!!!

Was expected tbh, but I'm not sure if we'll be good enough for the step up.

Media Prediction - 1st

Actual Position - 1st

Norwegian Cup - 1st Round

Division 2 Group 3 - League Table | League Graph

Awards -

Jean Christian Morana - Top Goalscorer

Key Players -

Serdar Kalayci

Stian Ringstad

Jean Christian Morana - Loan ended, and can't extend it atm as his contract has expired.

Very good season, will have to bring in some new players if we're going to survive imo.

rlipscombe I cannot compel you enough to join us here in Croatia. There is a common misconception that we are indeed overrun with human participants here in Croatia...all I can say to that is 'lies lies lies!!' Come join us, you'll love it icon14.gif

Not done an update in a while, so here come 2 group stage results:

Slavonija Champions League Update - 24/25

Group Stage

Zenith (h) - This was a slightly trickier tie than I expected. After winning the opening game 2-1 away at Celtic, I expected a fairly comfortable home win here. However fair play to Zenith, they caused us problems and Barlecaj had to be alert in goal to keep them at bay. Sivertsen picked up the MOM.

Dinamo Bucharest (a) - This was definitely easier than the scoreline suggests, we outplayed them but having said that they did look dangerous on the break. Lucic scored again (after scoring 4 in the league the week before) and he is starting to look as if he's peaking in his career. His stats are on the rise and he's scoring more regularly this season! icon14.gif. Barlecaj ended up as MOM.

So the group looks like this at the halfway stage:<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> pld won drn lst pts

Slavonija 3 3 0 0 9

Zenith 3 2 0 1 6

Celtic 3 1 0 2 3

Dinamo B 3 0 0 3 0</pre>

Looks as if qualification will be a formality this year (and so it should be in this group)

Randaberg IL - 2016 Norwegian Tippeligaen End Of Season Report

League

Our league campaign went really well compared to last seasons debacle of a 6th place finish. We eventually secured the http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7481/lge2016mw2.jpg with a couple of games to spare. Stian Ringstad improved his form from the previous season and went on to be Randabergs top scorer again. We went unbeaten in the league from the half-way stage and didn't concede too many goals in the process. icon_smile.gificon14.gif

Norwegian Cup

We had a great run in this years NM Cup which saw us dispatch a couple of top flight clubs along the way. The omens looked good as the holders of the cup (Randaberg) took to the field against Start. That and having a tag of being unbeaten in our previous 17 domestic games, you can kind of gage why I might of been confident. However heartbreak was to ensue as we got beat 0-1 by a weak Start team that played much of the game with ten men after having a player sent off with 30 minutes remaining. Many key players had off days and we only manages 8 shots. Gutted just gutted. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

Uefa Cup

Having only got into this competition by winning the Norwegian Cup the previous season, not much was expected. And that turned into a reality as we crashed out at the First Round stage against Besiktas 4-7 on agg. The story of the tie; Well in short their two forwards where a different class and our defense got quite literally mullered. icon_frown.gif

Other Randaberg News...

Ringstad still won't sign a new deal, sighting; he is worried by the lack of managerial discipline at the club. He is willing to remain at the club, hopefully once discipline matter is resolved then he will.

Myhre still wants out. However he still has two years remaining on his current deal, so atleast we have him for a little while longer.

Ringstad and Myhre have a bust up!?! icon_eek.gif Ringstad states that he is unhappy with Myhre who he believes is disrupting harmony at the club. He is also unhappy with winger Robin, I think a major factor here is the fact that those two players (Myhre & Robin) only are the only two players that want to move to a bigger club. Good on ya Stian. icon14.gif Oh is that last bit alittle familiar NepentheZ? icon_cool.gif

Next season; Win the league again, win the NM Cup and make the group stages of the Champions League. I'd be absolutely delighted if we can achieve those goals. icon14.gif

The Randaberg Adventure So Far...

2016 Tippeligaen 1st. Champions!

2015 Tippeligaen 6th. (Won Norwegian Cup)

2014 Tippeligaen 1st Champions!

2013 Tippeligaen 11th.

2012 1.divisjon 2nd Promoted.

2011 1.divisjon 5th.

2010 1.divisjon 12th

2009 2.divisjon Avd.3 2nd Promoted.

2008 2.divisjon Avd.3 7th.

Gundo

Can I have a quick ruling on transfers please?

Can I offer a contract to someone who is in my Player Search box once my assistant has filtered out unrealistic targets.

I have always scouted or trialled first but noticing I'm losing a few targets as they are accepting contracts elsewhere rather than a trial with me.

Given that they are already in my player search box, which is generated by the knowledge you have built up, surely this should allow me to offer a contract without scouting or trialling?

well after my fall at Blsany, i'm back and am the new manager of FK Sloga Kraljevo (in Serbia - not quite Croatia Iacovone... icon_frown.gif )

Information

i chose them, mainly because i like the kits, but also as they have deceny youth facilities, and have Red Star Belgrade as a parent club!!

the finances aren't too bad, though i have no transfer budget to spend.

Finances

the squad is OK, but needs improving to match our taget of survival this season. surely i can manage that?!?!?

let the games begin...

Originally posted by kccircle:

Gundo

Can I offer a contract to someone who is in my Player Search box once my assistant has filtered out unrealistic targets.

I have always scouted or trialled first but noticing I'm losing a few targets as they are accepting contracts elsewhere rather than a trial with me.

Given that they are already in my player search box, which is generated by the knowledge you have built up, surely this should allow me to offer a contract without scouting or trialling?

You still need to be able to scout first or get him on trial at the club before you sign them Kccircle.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

well after my fall at Blsany, i'm back and am the new manager of FK Sloga Kraljevo (in Serbia - not quite Croatia Iacovone... icon_frown.gif )

Information

i chose them, mainly because i like the kits, but also as they have deceny youth facilities, and have Red Star Belgrade as a parent club!!

Finances

the squad is OK, but needs improving to match our taget of survival this season. surely i can manage that?!?!?

let the games begin...

Best of luck. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kccircle:

Gundo

You still need to be able to scout first or get him on trial at the club before you sign them Kccircle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. Perhaps the parameters can be looked into for the next release. I have kept with the rules for this challenge though.

Am still waiting to post details of season 1, but Photobucket is still down.

Originally posted by Jazza:

ghostwriter - Your welcome icon_razz.gif. With Bellabas and Carioti I just kept things real simple like low creative freedom, short passing etc, team talks and media comments also help getting rubbish players to out perform themselves. It's funny though, Carioti was rated by my coaches as one of the best players at the club, 7 stars, although both are really struggling along with the rest of my team in the SL.

On the player sales, they were all wanted by multiple clubs so teams seem to pay over the odds if there's competition for their signature. So what I did was transfer list them then offer them to all clubs at a high price but with 0 down and 24 monthly payments, if no one bids I just keep reducing the price a bit and re-offer until someone bites.

Think Carioti was highly rated by my coaches as well, never showed anything on the pitch though.

Never really tried that way of selling players but then again I have yet to have multiple teams interested in any of my players icon_biggrin.gif. They mainly all leave at the end of their contracts. In any case, it is not as if I could spend the money and the ridiculous prize money in Switzerland means that I can't foresee many financial problems (although at some stage my 600 capacity stadium will need a sigificant expansion).

Anyway, I have got off to exactly the same start as last season; after 5 games, 4-0-1, we lost to the same club (Delemont) as well, although this time it was in the first game and tbf we were battered by them. They are top at the moment on GD above the 2 relegated SL clubs so maybe it was not that bad a result especially as I have made some reinforcements since. No goals conceded in the 4 victories which followed which is promising. I also appear to have stumbled across my 1st genuinely brilliant player, a 20yo AM/F C who my coaches think would be a decent signing in the SL and who scored our first 6 goals of the season (and had 7 after 4 games). My scouts found him and he signed after being released by Zurich. Lets hope he (and us) continue in a similar vein (ie. past Christmas this time)

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

Information

Finances

let the games begin...

Not to worry mate! Serbia's just next door so I'm still happy! Good luck there.

Gundo superb to see you take the league again, here's to an even more successful season next year!

09/10 Midseason Update - Hetman Zamosc - Polish Second Division

League Position - Champions! icon14.gif

TABLE

Polish FA Cup - 3rd Round

The season ended pretty much as it began, with the mighty Hetman cruising to the second division title. The goals of Nowosielski and Kobierecki paced the team and indeed the finished as the top two in the Player of the Season poll.

Of course, maybe it was just the brilliance of the Manager of the Season.

A couple of high profile transfers, losing my top right winger and centerback put the balance sheet almost right, next season's TV money should do the rest of the trick.

FINANCES

For inquiring minds, here is mighty Hetman Zamosc.

Next season will be a struggle. I still cannot attract players of much quality - though I can scout the whole region now. If we avoid relegation, I'll be absolutely elated.

For the record, I'm loving Poland. Sure you can't attract any players, but short seasons and only 1 cup = fast playing.

Hetman Zamosc

2008/2009 - Polish Second Division - 10th, FA Cup - 1st round

2009/2010 - Polish Second Division - 1st, FA Cup - 3rd round

Archived