Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Magni 2008-2038 round-up

All things move towards their end and my time in Iceland is over, sadly without me winning a damn thing icon_razz.gif Well, okay, I led Magni to 20 domestic titles and 55 cups of various kinds, but no European success to speak of leaves me a bit disappointed. In 20 appearances in Europe the best we could muster was the first knockout round of the CL and the second knockout round of the UEFA cup.

Overall best eleven

Halldór Pétursson (2018-2029) - superb goalkeeper, one of Iceland's finest ever. Started his career at KR, then played for Fjölnir and Þór before moving to Magni, and finished his played career in Italy, where he spent 4 seasons at Sampdoria. Clocked up 78 appearances for Iceland, currently employed as a scout at Magni.

Anthony David (2029-2037) - versatile French defender, who played far better than his stats would indicate. Left Magni for Swedish club Hammarby.

Magnus Vignisson (2022-2029) - a first team player at Magni at the age of 17, he made the left-back position his own before transferring to Bolton Wanderers and later to Charlton Athletic. Played a massive 105 games for Iceland.

Marian Preotescu (2033-2036) - made it to the overall best eleven despite only being a Magni player for 4 years. He scored a lot of goals for a defender, mainly from penalties. Left for Glasgow Rangers for 2.8 million pounds

Cătălin Pascu (2029-) - Magni's longest serving foreign player. Unlike other overseas mercenaries, never complained or asked for a transfer, which probably cost him his international career - he made only one u-21 appearance for Romania.

Aron Smárason (?) - a tricky winger who graduated from Magni's youth setup and spent his entire career with the club, also making over 40 appearances for Iceland.

Dejan Pate (2030-) - fleet-footed Slovenian midfielder and a superb corner taker, who racked up an impressive 166 assists for Magni in all competitions. Also a regular Slovenian international, with 49 caps to his name.

Ion Sandu (2030-) - like his compatriot Pascu, had no international career to speak of, but at club level he shone, contributing numerous goals and assists.

Sigþór Halldórsson (?) - another homegrown player in the overall best eleven, Halldórsson was an exciting attacking midfielder with an eye for goals and a regular in the international side. Finished his career in Sweden.

Xavier Gauthier (2029-2034) - a phenomenal striker who broke all sorts of goalscoring records while at Magni, including scoring 43 goals in 22 league games in the 2033 season. Left for Manchester City after the 2034 season, where he failed to make a single appearance in 3 years.

Jón þór Einarsson (?) - one of Magni's best ever youth products and Icelandic strikers. Was unstoppable in the Landsbankadeildin before moving to England and enjoying success with Portsmouth and Reading.

Guðmundur Tomasson (2027-2035) - eight seasons at Magni, but only three as first choice goalkeeper. Nonetheless it was enough to earn his place on the bench of the overall best eleven. Moved to Swedish side Helsingborg after his contract expired and has 28 senior caps.

Jóhannes Þrastarson (2012-2029) - legend. Came through the ranks at Magni to become our best ever goalscorer. Scored three goals in 17 international appearances and stayed at the club as a physio after finishing his career.

Mortan Thomsen (?) - Faroese left winger who was a scourge of right-backs in all of Iceland. Finished his career in Norway.

Henk Baert (2031-) - superb Belgian winger, three times chosen the best player in Iceland.

Njall Kristjansson (?) - formed a fearsome strike force with Þrastarson and Einarsson. Had an unsuccesful spell with HSV Hamburg before returning to Magni and retiring shortly after.

And one more player, who I think was the best youth product I've ever had:

Fannar Helgason - superb technique, excellent mental stats, and a real mellow chap to boot. All he lacked was a bit of pace.

Club Info - I leave Magni with some of the best training and youth facilities in the world, a big and modern stadium and in the 93rd place on the richest clubs list.

Trophy room - lots of competitions won, sadly, none of them matter.

Manager History - whew, eleven thousand days! Time flies when you're having fun. Surely my longest ever career in CM/FM and perhaps the most enjoyable.

A new game beckons... just need to decide where icon_wink.gif

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dafuge:

Was really hoping to get started on this during half term with the new patch, but the Defoe problem is putting me off as a Pompey fan. Has anyone that has already started noticed this having an effect to Portsmouth when they are in a non active league?

Would an edited database with the SI recommended 'Defoe fix' be allowed?

I feel the same as you dafuge. I have been reluctant to start a new game because of the Defoe issue, and I for one refuse to edit the db in anyway.

As with the SI fix... I don't know what to say??? icon_confused.gif

I think what I'm going to do is wait til the patch is reissued next week.

endtime, good effort. icon14.gif

I'd say surviving the Champions League Group stage with an Icelandic team is an achievement in itself. (I'm playing with a team in a league with a much better reputation and have only just about gotten as far as you did in Europe.)

Good luck wherever you start next.

I was waiting for the new patch to join this challenge in the Turkish league (I couldn't previously because of a registration bug in the lower leagues). Now, it seems from the forums that the finances have all been messed up meaning Fenerbahce, Galatasaray and Besiktas all go bankrupt within a few seasons icon_mad.gif

But then again, that could make the challenge much easier.... icon_biggrin.gif

Also waiting on the dust to clear from the patch before I install - has anyone here applied the patch and noticed the massive attribute dropping they've talked about in GQ? My team is entirely too crap to take that kind of a chance. icon_wink.gif

Also, season update to follow. More of the same, don't get very excited.

Originally posted by pjtopor:

Also waiting on the dust to clear from the patch before I install - has anyone here applied the patch and noticed the massive attribute dropping they've talked about in GQ?

I did notice lots of red arrows right after applying the patch, but the drop in attributes will be applied across the board, so the AI teams will suffer as well. It didn't stop me from spanking Barcelona 4:2, anyway icon_biggrin.gif

I have to say that I wouldn't wait for the patch/reissue etc. Even in the original version of the game the only notable annoyance was the offside/disallowed goals bug. I've played a fair bit with the first patch and haven't found anything that's stopped me enjoying the game. This is a fantastic challenge and the more people we get on board the better. I'd say go for it, if you really do find something too annoying to continue, then chances are the reissued patch will be out to start a game with icon_smile.gif

Get stuck in! icon_biggrin.gif

11/12 - Hetman Zamosc - Polish First Division[/i}

League Position - Champions! icon_biggrin.gif

TABLE

Polish FA Cup - Quarterfinal

Polish League Cup - Semi Final

Polish Super Cup - Winners

Champions League - 3rd Qualifying Round (1-2 vs Bayern)

UEFA Cup - 1st Round (2-4 vs Sevilla)

All things considered it was a pretty good year, Hetman following their tradition by starting strongly and then doing everything possible to bottle the run-in but somehow surviving as their rivals smoke them out of the cups. All in all, I keep finding some decent players to flesh out the squad, but I cannot seem to find a reliable scorer (Kobierecki was my top scorer with 18 goals, but that's a bit misleading, and 7 of them came in 2 games) or a real captain. Here are two good signings I made this year:

Vladimir Pesic

Pawel Nerek

We also bought Obrzut, last years Young Player of the Season - but he was nowhere near the same calibre as a fulltime Hetman player.

Finances are in good shape, with attendances improving and the Champions League money helping out.

FINANCES

And once again, the info screen for Hetman Zamosc.

Anyway, looking like we'll at least be in the title mix for the seasons to come - I am nowhere near attracting the kinds of players to compete in Europe (nor do I think I ever will be) or for that matter - even to dominate the domestic league. All the best Polish players go abroad, and my best bets seem to be snapping up the Romanians, Bosnians and Serbians that the likes of Steau and Partizan haven't yet. Also, my chairman is kind of a douche, that sort of performance this year, where I met every single expectation, and he waits til June 1 to reup my contract.

Anyway, onward Zamosc!

Table Info:

Domestic Title x2

Club coefficient 4.905, 337th, down 25

Nation coefficient 16.5, 22nd, no change

Hetman Zamosc

2008/2009 - Polish Second Division - 10th, FA Cup - 1st round

2009/2010 - Polish Second Division - 1st, FA Cup - 3rd round

2010/2011 - Polish First Division - 1st, FA Cup - 2nd round, League Cup - Quarterfinals

2011/2012 - Polish First Division - 1st, FA Cup - Quarterfinal, League Cup - Semi Final, Champs League - 3rd Qualifying Round, UEFA Cup - 1st Round

The Defoe 'bug' is an interesting one, personally, although I do hope Gundo won't castigate me for it, I am playing with that modified in my db, although being in NI I would assume (hopefully) it should not make a big difference.

Not to drag the GQ thing back - but yes, a lot of ungrateful ******s around who have nothing better to do than bitch and snipe at SI.

Still, you can please some of the people some of the time...

Strange days.

Originally posted by 442to445:

The Defoe 'bug' is an interesting one, personally, although I do hope Gundo won't castigate me for it, I am playing with that modified in my db, although being in NI I would assume (hopefully) it should not make a big difference.

Not to drag the GQ thing back - but yes, a lot of ungrateful ******s around who have nothing better to do than bitch and snipe at SI.

Still, you can please some of the people some of the time...

Strange days.

It's ok if you've edited the Defoe thing in the db, If SI are suggesting people do it? I can't really go against that.

I personally plan to wait until next week before starting up proper, although I might add that that's also down to me having alot on at present also not just wanting the re-issue. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

Right, the definitive try, I either win everything, or I fail spectacularly and leave this thread in utter disgrace.

Moving Pictures

Knockbreda was the alternative, but I couldn't do them the justice of NepentheZ

Good luck buddy.! I'm not doing that great, btw. Annihilator won the CL with them back in FM07 icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you've mixed me up with someone else, I didn't do this challenge on FM07. icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. All this time, I was under the impression it was you icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

Pointless side note:

When I was watching the Spurs game last night on TV (I'm such a romantic! - My better half was cuddled up next to me but soon fell asleep) the Score at the top of the picture was represented by:

Sla

Tot

And even though I knew it was Slavia Prague I was convinced for the duration of the match that Sla stood for Slavonija - Iacovone, you've ruined me!

Originally posted by 442to445:

Pointless side note:

When I was watching the Spurs game last night on TV (I'm such a romantic! - My better half was cuddled up next to me but soon fell asleep) the Score at the top of the picture was represented by:

Sla

Tot

And even though I knew it was Slavia Prague I was convinced for the duration of the match that Sla stood for Slavonija - Iacovone, you've ruined me!

It it where Iacovone's Slavonija then they probably would hammered Spurs. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

Pointless side note:

Sla

Tot

It it where Iacovone's Slavonija then they probably would hammered Spurs. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOu're not the only one who thought that!

Bizzarely, and sorry to wander OT, but last night's game really did remind me of how 'true to life' FM is - Spurs were great in the first half, cutting Prague open at will and then Second Half - BOOM! Prague right back in it and Spurs really lucky to escape.

I almost felt the urge to think 'Damn, the AI is cheating again' icon_biggrin.gif

I've finally managed to get in a little game time today, and have completed the close season after our league-winning campaign. Signed 12 players during the break, but haven't really managed to improve the starting XI. It'll interesting to see how this season pans out, but I think we'll struggle to repeat last year's success, especially with Robert Kajda leaving midseason.

Anyways, I'll be back in about a couple of weeks to post my end of season update! (hopefully, it won't take quite that long, but I'm rather busy with uni at the moment)

A new patch, a new dawn...

I decided to restart this callenge, after getting the mighty Krokom almost relegated back to Swedish second division (our starting point). I choose to head south, but not to far, and ended up in Denmark.

MeetSvendborg forenede Boldklubber, also lovingly called SfB by their more loyal fans. Only about 1387 clubs stand between me and Champions League glory.

Seriously, if this ends as my Krokom adventure I'll abandon FM and devote all my time to Minesweeper.

Through to the 3rd qualifying round after an 8 round shootout with AEK Athens. Tense, tense stuff.

In the 3rd qualifying round we face...

Red Star Belgrade.

They'll still be firm favorites, but beats the hell out of Bayern Munich a year ago.

There seems to be a problem with my attendances. Here's a list of my average attendances per season, along with final league position (except for current season, which will be current league position):

2008/09 - 11th - 548

2009/10 - 5th - 709

2010/11 - 6th - 602

2011/12 - 4th - 600

2012/13 - 5th - 491

icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

There seems to be a problem with my attendances. Here's a list of my average attendances per season, along with final league position (except for current season, which will be current league position):

2008/09 - 11th - 548

2009/10 - 5th - 709

2010/11 - 6th - 602

2011/12 - 4th - 600

2012/13 - 5th - 491

icon_frown.gif

Maybe it's due to season tickets being down, or perhaps in the previous seasons, a few big cup games dragged the ave. attendance up?

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

In the end I decided to start a new game with the unedited 8.0.2 database.

Again, I went for Northern Ireland, this time with Sirocco Works.

icon_biggrin.gif

I've just dispatched them 13-0 in a cup game. icon14.gif

Good luck Daf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just felt bad beating Knockbreda in the league icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll cope!

GL Dafuge!

Annihilator666 - SC YF Juventus - Season 12/13 - Swiss Challenge League

Manager Profile - Manager Profile

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Results - Results #1 | Results #2

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Angelo Grecuccio

Fans' Player of the Year - Mato Maric

Records - Team Overall Records | Team Season Records

Best Eleven - Overall | Season

Domestic Competiton:

Well, I dropped two places compared to last season, but it's incredibly difficult to keep up with the professional teams that make up the top 5 (Lugano turned pro at the start of the season, meaning another pro team in the league). Hopefully, if I can keep improving my finances, I'll be able to follow them by turning pro in a couple of seasons.

I did a lot better in the cup, making it to the Semi-Finals where I lost to Super League side St. Gallen.

The Board, Finances, etc.:

The training facilities were upgraded, but as my average attendances posted above show, we're not even filling a 1,200 capacity stadium. Therefore, no upgrades to it as of yet.

I sold off a bunch of players who were subs/backup, and made a decent amount of money, and my scout found an amazing striker who'll be joining for free at the end of his contract in July. I just hope I can find replacements to bring in for the other positions.

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

2008/09 - 11th - 548

2009/10 - 5th - 709

2010/11 - 6th - 602

2011/12 - 4th - 600

2012/13 - 5th - 491

icon_frown.gif

We mentioned this in the bugs forum a while ago, I think it is linked to the clubs expectations and their current performance. If the club is performing way above their expectations, the fans flock to the club, if they are doing as expected the attendances are not so good. We noticed that a playoff loss kills your attendances the next year as the club expectations shoot up.

Season Review - Holywood - Northern Irish Second Division 08/09

Media Prediction: 7th

Final Position: 7th

Won:7, Drawn 9, Lost 6

GF: 41, GA: 30, GD: +11

Final Table

Northern Irish Cup: 2nd Rnd

Intermediate League Cup: Quarter-Final

Antrim Trophy: Runners Up

Intermediate Cup: Fourth Round

Antrim Cup: First Round

Performance Review

Infuriating in every single aspect! When we were good, we were very, VERY good, when we we average, we were AWFUL.

Going in to out second last game we still had a shot at the play-offs as the entire league was so tight, but two dismal performances saw us fall way short of what was expected.

We turned out to be a good cup team and were unlucky to lose in the Antrim Trophy final but that match in itself summed up our season.

We dropped too many points, conceding weak goals against teams that shouldn't have had the chance and drew far too many against sides we thoroughly outplayed. A combination of woeful finishing and even more desperate defending and goalkeeping.

If we'd held our nerve we would easily have gone up as champions and probably unbeaten too. Looking at the table I think we were second highest scorers, and with a good defensive record but as I say, we lacked consistency and a cutting edge and we paid for it time and again.

I feel I should take the blame for some tactical naivety but I have to be fair to myself: I gave the team every damn chance I could and they just were not good enough.

Never in all my time playing FM have I been so angry and frustrated.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Just had a bid of £0 accepted by my chairman for one of my strikers icon_frown.gif

Yikes. Unless there are some juicy extra clauses involved, that sounds like a bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was nothing, just a bid of £0. I think it is because we a losing a lot of money at the moment.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Annihilator666:

2008/09 - 11th - 548

2009/10 - 5th - 709

2010/11 - 6th - 602

2011/12 - 4th - 600

2012/13 - 5th - 491

icon_frown.gif

We mentioned this in the bugs forum a while ago, I think it is linked to the clubs expectations and their current performance. If the club is performing way above their expectations, the fans flock to the club, if they are doing as expected the attendances are not so good. We noticed that a playoff loss kills your attendances the next year as the club expectations shoot up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to say that this was not happening with me, my attendances are going up every season but it seems that that maybe because I am far exceeding the expectations of the club (yes, despite my finishing positions).

And steady progress Annihilator icon14.gif. Part of me is quite happy that someone else is having the same amount of difficulty as me in escaping the CL icon_wink.gif. That said, you seem to be finishing consistently higher than me. For me it has got to the stage where the only teams I am really worried about playing are the 2 relegated, Delemont and Lugano. The latter 2 I have beaten occasionally but never the relegated teams. La Chaux de Fonds used to scare me but they turned a bit crap last season. The problem is being consistant against the clubs of the same ability as me and particularly against the ones near the bottom for some reason.

Had the chance to sign Grecuccio a few years back but turned him down, he now scores regularly 15+ for Yverdon, and nearly always against us icon_frown.gif.

Still have failed to sell any players, my last non-free sale was about 4 years ago, every other player leaves at the end of their contract. Then again, I don't need the money, although it might accelerate turning professional.

Season 6 has been finished, will write up something tomorrow.

2008/09 Review - Sirocco Works in the Second Division

The media predicted a 9th placed finish, I told the board I would achieve a mid table finish with hopes of doing a bit better.

League Table

League Positions Graph

This came as a bit of a shock. I was honestly expecting to do pretty well in this league but things just didn't go my way. No team beat me by more than two goals, but I just couldn't get a run of wins going. I started the season with 7 draws in my first 9 games which turned out to be my best run of the season.

Squad

Transfers

Brought in the usual bunch of free transfers, but my scouts were next to useless, only recommending me a handful of players all season.

Star Player

One of the few bright spots of the season, he looks like one for the future. Just a shame he missed a few games through injury.

Oh well, on to the playoffs...

Originally posted by ghostwriter:

Still have failed to sell any players, my last non-free sale was about 4 years ago, every other player leaves at the end of their contract. Then again, I don't need the money, although it might accelerate turning professional.

Yea, I've been selling players because I think the only way I'm gonna get out of the division is by turning professional. Just to illustrate the gulf in class, I signed a striker from Delemont at the start of the season who was a "Backup" for them, but is a key player for me, with my coaches rating him 7 stars...

Archived