Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Randaberg have all but rapped up promotion after beating promotion rivals Vigør 2-0 at their place. They have to overturn a 3 point gap and a 9 goal difference in the last round of fixtures. The only team that realistically stands in our way not of promotion but the Title it's self is Start 2 (they can't go up). I'll have to wait until tomorrow until the outcome aswell now...

Originally posted by emgergo:

Against fierce rivals Interblock.

This will be interesting icon_biggrin.gif

\o/

Good luck. Can't believe it's taken so long to get to this point. It was relatively simple to get out of that league in 2006 and 2007. (with Krsko and Krka respectively).

Actually. How are Krka doing in your game? They start off in Div 2 I thing...

icon13.gif

So close icon_frown.gif

Lost the playoffs 1-1 (A), 0-1 (H)

Next time maybe.

Krka is now in the lower league wilderness, after relegating from the second division.

What's interesting, Olimpija haven't come up, although they must have a full squad/high reputation.

Spa end of season mini report(as notjhing happened) 09/10

We consolidated after an 10 game unbeaten run to start the season. We then were ravaged by injury and it ruined the season for us. We finished 7th and drew 14 games. We defended brilliantky but as all 3 of our strikers were injured we had no cutting edge. We started losing money because we were so boring to watch. We had an average attendence of around 900 over the first 10 games which dropped to 700ish by the end.

Roll on next season. I will not be making many signings in the hope some continuity will help. Definately think we have the quality required to gain promotion.

Really enjoying the challenge and reading everyones reports icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gundo:

Randaberg have all but rapped up promotion after beating promotion rivals Vigør 2-0 at their place. They have to overturn a 3 point gap and a 9 goal difference in the last round of fixtures. The only team that realistically stands in our way not of promotion but the Title it's self is Start 2 (they can't go up). I'll have to wait until tomorrow until the outcome aswell now...

Best of luck Gundo, i'm sure you'll do it icon14.gif

I'm loading up the Icelandic Leagues as I type this, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone know what date I need to holiday to in Iceland?

endtime's contract was signed on 22nd Jan 08, (from pic on page 1), so I will maybe go to a week or so before that day just to be sure.

2. Now this might be a little more difficult. ALthough I want to give my players nicknames, I also want to use some of the characters that exist in whatever language is used in Iceland, (is it Icelandic? icon_confused.gif), so I need the o with the sedeways : lying on top and so forth. I'm pretty sure all pc's have the ability to use these characters, you just have to tell the keyboard you wish to use them.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Originally posted by endtime:

Oh well, I might as well post here, since this challenge and my LLM game overlap.

Went to Iceland, holidayed for a year... I had a really enjoyable FM07 career with Magni, so when they came up from the lower divisions there could be no other choice.

Manager profile - strangely enough, choosing Sunday League footballer as my past experience gave me a national reputation at the start. I created another manager and set past experience to automatic and got the same - guess every manager in Iceland is a national celebrity.

Also the knowledge is really dodgy, but it seems to be a quirk of this year's edition.

The only players at the club are promoted youths with really bad hair, there is no staff whatsoever and, needless to say, no transfer money. Strangely enough, the club has a youth academy.

Sorry, I'm a little confused icon_confused.gif.

My game starts on 30th December 2007 but endtime is already the manager of Magni on 22nd January 2008. That's less than 2 months icon_confused.gif. months icon_confused.gif.

When I click on the Icelandic First Division Rules page it tells me that the league runs from 11th May 2008 to 12th September 2008. That's only 4 months icon_confused.gif.

I don't know what the hell is going on and I haven't even started losing yet icon_rolleyes.gif.

Icelandic is pretty simple to type, you need

ö (alt+0246)

Ö (alt+0214)

ó (alt+0243)

Ó (alt+0211)

Þ (alt+0222) <-- this one is the capital version of thorn btw

þ (alt+0254)

à (alt+0208)

ð (alt+0240)

æ (alt+0230)

Æ (alt+0198)

I think you might need some other accent ones as well, á é í ó ú ý, but they're really easy on a standard uk keyboard with just altgr + letter you want. UK international keyboard ftw though so I can do þ with just altgr+t icon_biggrin.gif

congrats Gundo - just the final hurdle to clear now.

Try these Jimbo

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 25th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20st January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N. Ireland - 19th June.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland -

Turkey -

Ukraine -

Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Originally posted by iacovone:

Welcome back Jimbo. icon14.gif I'd knew you'd go for the Icelandic leagues. You know your one of the Scandinavian mob now? icon_biggrin.gif[/quote\

Booooooooo!!! icon13.gif

just for you iacovone.... i'm considering jumping ship from 'the scandanavian mob' over to croatia..... icon_wink.gif

Just a quick question I want to run by you guys...

I'm thinking of re-instating the Russian and Romanian leagues back into this challenge. The reason for this is because the way I'd gone about selecting the 'Smaller' nations in the past was via the Official coefficients ratings from Uefa irl.

However the league reputations set in FM08 kind of renders that selection process abit useless? So with the reputations for the Russian Premier standing at 13 and the Romanian at 12 in FM08, it would be abit silly not to include them?

What do you think, should I add them or not?

Originally posted by Annihilator666:

What happened to the Northern Ireland game you started earlier Jimbo? :p

I started a Hot-seat game in N.Ireland with my son, but to be honest, the game was so poor out of the box that we binned it almost immediately.

It seems considerably better with the full patch so I am playing again now.

I think it would be safe to add Romanian certainly and possibly Russian back in. Russian has a lot of money at the top but Romania isn't really to do different to a lot of the other eastern European leagues. I think its worse than Turkey and Greece that you are allowed to play ;P.

rlipscombe do it! Make the switch, you'll be forever loved in Eastern Europe. icon_razz.gif

Gundo regarding Russia and Romania I have no problem with the latter but perhaps with the money in Russia it could become one of the easier options. Although having said that the challenge is as hard as you make it...so why not!? icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you think, should I add them or not?

If that is there league reps, then get them back in imo. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's completely irrelevant what leagues you have available anyway.

Real men manage in Scandinavia. We all know that icon_wink.gif.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What do you think, should I add them or not?

If that is there league reps, then get them back in imo. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's completely irrelevant what leagues you have available anyway.

Real men manage in Scandinavia. We all know that icon_wink.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tut tut tut. Blasphemy!! icon13.gif

Iceland First Division. 20th Jan 2009.

So I have to select one of the following 2 teams to manage.

Reynir Sandgerdi. (The 2nd d in Sandgerdi is a d with a line through it, but I can't find it on the Character Map that I have looked up on the net, so if anyone can help I would appreciate it).

They play in white with red trim at home, (yuck), and blue away.

They are valued at £75k and are predicted to finish 11th of the 12 teams.

They have adequate training facilities and adequate youth facilities.

The average age of the current squad is 23.

They have 34 players at the club and only 4 of these players are on youth contracts.

Magni. That's a little easier to say and spell isn't it icon_wink.gif.

They play in black and white stripes at home, (a la Newcastle), and canary yellow away, (a al Norwich).

They are valued at £85k which is surprisingly more £10k more than Reynir and are predicted to finish 12th of the 12 teams in the First Division.

They have fairly basic training facilities and fairly basic youth facilities + a youth acadamy.

The average age of the current squad is 15 years old.

They have 9 players at the club and all 9 are on youth contracts.

Good points and bad points.

I can't spell Reynir icon13.gif.

I can spell Magni icon14.gif.

I don't like the look of white with red trim icon13.gif.

I quite like the Geordie style strip and the Hitchin/Norwich canary yellow icon14.gif.

Reynir are valued lowet at £75k icon14.gif.

Magni are valued higher at £85k icon13.gif.

Reynir are tipped not to finish bottom icon13.gif.

Magni are tipped to finish 12th of 12 icon14.gif.

Reynir have better facilities icon13.gif.

Magni have poorer facilities icon14.gif.

Reynir don't have a youth acadamy icon14.gif.

Magni do icon13.gif.

Reynir average age = 23 icon13.gif.

Magni average age = 15 icon14.gif.

Players at Reynir = 34 icon13.gif.

Players at Magni = 9 icon14.gif.

Reyniricon13.gificon13.gificon14.gificon13.gificon13.gificon14.gificon13.gificon13.gif

Magni.icon14.gificon14.gificon13.gificon14.gificon14.gificon13.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Magni it is then icon_biggrin.gif.

Profile.

ha ha... it's like a tug of war!! do i stay with Norway or move over to 'the other side'??? ha ha. will decide over the weekend when i'm away.

as for romania and russia, i agree with general opinion. Romania should be in - Russia maybe too, but is more money there. is there more than say top teams in Ukraine and Turkey though??? i don't think so. i think that in russia, the rich are rich and the poor are poor. don't see it being any different to ukraine in my opinion.

Randaberg promoted!!!

Didn't manage to clinch the Second divisjon title (on goal difference!).

Just sweating on a new contract now...

congrats Gundo!! sure you'll get the contract after promotion.....

I've got a question.

Do you need a certain amount of international call ups to have a game postponed? I ask because I recently had 10 international call ups with most being regular first teamer's and a couple of real key players and the game wasn't postponed. Last season I had 11 or 12 called up quite a few times yet those games were postponed. icon_confused.gif

Just wondering? (Not that it matters as my 'reserves' dominated and won 3-0. icon_wink.gif)

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I've got a question.

Do you need a certain amount of international call ups to have a game postponed? I ask because I recently had 10 international call ups with most being regular first teamer's and a couple of real key players and the game wasn't postponed. Last season I had 11 or 12 called up quite a few times yet those games were postponed. icon_confused.gif

Just wondering? (Not that it matters as my 'reserves' dominated and won 3-0. icon_wink.gif)

I just had another 2 called up just after that game and then my next two league games were postponed. I think that 11 is the magic number. icon14.gif

I'm considering starting this challenge again, I know I've gone a long way with Békéscsaba but the league cup is really annoying me something rotten.

Has anyone tried Serbia and is there a chance of far eastern Russian team being promoted or then again maybe I'll just dart board it and aim for eastern Europe ish.

Krokum - Division 2 Mellestra Gottaland 2012

After a the experience of actually making money some months last season, we are back in the depths of the second divion this year.

We make some good young signings in preseason, including last seasons roadrunner. I'm starting the like the look of our squad: aging last resort signings of the first season are making way for promising youngsters.

The season itself was sublime. We were simply to good for our oposition. With roadrunner in a leading role we scored like nothing, and a few good signings made our back four a lot more secure. We only lost one game, the last one of the season.

standings

Originally posted by Quacky:

I'm considering starting this challenge again, I know I've gone a long way with Békéscsaba but the league cup is really annoying me something rotten.

Has anyone tried Serbia and is there a chance of far eastern Russian team being promoted or then again maybe I'll just dart board it and aim for eastern Europe ish.

Croatia. icon14.gif

Archived