Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Oh, a question for the N. Ireland counterparts...

What's the deal with the reserves playing in the lower league trophies? My Reserve team won the N. Irish Antrim League Cup something or other trophy last season, which seemed like an amazing feat, right? So how does that work exactly,??

Top flight reserve teams play in the Antrim Trophy and the Intermediate Cup (I think that's what their names are).

Meldert, Belgium - August 29th 2024

The squad is largely the same as last season. An extra striker was the main target over the summer. I slightly overdid it and signed three of them, heh.

Euro update:

We faced Slovenian team NK Domzale in the Champions League Second Qual. Round, and easily got through with a 6-0 aggregate win.

We're still unseeded for the Third Qual. Round, but we got lucky in the draw again. Not as lucky as last season, but FC Kopenhagen was a reasonable opponent. We didn't have much to spare though. 2-1 at home, 1-1 away.

Group draw.

Well, it's still not an easy draw, but I've certainly had tougher groups. Better than last year.

Pros and cons to this group. There's no absolute top team in the group, but in a way, two top teams plus a weak third seed could be more advantageous when aiming for third place. In a group like this, with three teams of roughly equal strength, anything could happen.

But I think that sums it up well, and I'm up for the challenge: anything could happen.

Euro coefficients:

Club: 99th - 26.027

Nation: 20th - 21.300 (1-3-1)

Finally into the top 100! No improvement in our seeding yet, but we're on the right track.

Johnny - Cheers mate.

Coach - Grats on getting into the top 100 clubs..!! Just a dream for me at the moment. Never broken the top 500 yet. despite being in the CL for the last 4 years.!

Not a bad group either.! From the teams you could have got, i'd say thats one of the more favorable groups there.!

Originally posted by mr susan:

Nope, still semi-pro unfortunately, which is why I can't get hold of any decent strikers.

Well done on your big win, and well done on your survival in the Challenge League so far. Hopefully with a growing reputation or a good vein of form you can start to push on soon, it would seem UGS have a bigger potential fanbase than Baulmes so when you start to see some success then you'll see atendances rise a lot. Is your board not keen on/unable to find a parent club because having Super League level loanees is a godsend. KUTGW icon14.gif

Still semi pro. Yikes, I can see how it might be difficult to attract players.

How is it going?

Thanks, the reputation has seemingly started to have an effect icon14.gif. Chucked in a few of the usual optimistic loan offers in the summer, and some of the players (for the first time ever) actually said yes (4 in total by the end) icon_eek.gif. Not only that, but 2 regulars for Lausanne (much better than UGS) decided to join me. Wondered what on earth was going on and it seems the clubs reputation is now regional, whereas when I started it was local, I assume given the sudden change that this is a recent development.

Still no feeder club, the board don't see the point in having one icon_rolleyes.gif. I sort have inadvertantly got 2 in Young Boys and Sion, signed 3 of the formers released youngsters this summer including a 20yo Swiss U21 striker (9caps/7gls) so maybe the goalscoring problem will be solved and 2 of Sions U18s are with me for a season.

Given the signings I made I actually entered the season with mild confidence, the top 10 might not be out of reach.

Yeah, I'd think we could have a pretty bit potential fanbase given our location but at the moment the average gate is 300 so it might be a few years away!

Anyway, nearly finished the first part of the season so there should be an update soon...

Randaberg IL - 2014 Norwegian Tippeligaen

Per Christian Mhyre captains the club to glory!

Well our second season in the Norwegian Premier Division resulted in domestic triumph. That's correct the title! What an unbelievable season it was for the fans and players of Randaberg. icon14.gif

Just 7 years since the Randaberg adventure started in the third tier of Norwegian football 'the Rands' (as I've nicknamed them icon_biggrin.gif ) secure their first ever domestic title. What I've also realized aswell is that 3 of the players that have been ever present this season where also signed for the club when we started out in the Second Division, those being; Ringstad, Abdellaoue and of course Myhre. icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Those three aforementioned players along with center back Jan Maslo formed the pivotal spine of the team and without them it simply would not of happened. icon14.gif

I'll post screenies tomorrow of those players and final league table etc.. icon14.gif

Randabergs European adventure starts here...

the draw is in for the 1st qualifying round of the UEFA Cup.....

Korona Kielce (POL) v Caerleon (WAL)

can't say i've ever heard of them (and i know alot about football...) Our european history starts somewhere deep in Poland....

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

First game of the new season? A trip to Spartak Moscow, who are unbeaten in 31 league games. A three-point headstart for them then!

After a 2 - 2 draw at Spartak against Amur Blagoveschensk, a key member of the Spartak Moscow side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this Russian Premier Division fixture with a draw.

He admitted that Red-Whites were second best throughout much of the game and that their opponents have every right to feel aggrieved at their failure to win the match.

Gutted! So close to what would have been a fantastic victory. We hit the post with just a couple of minutes to go icon_frown.gif

Meldert, Belgium - September 17th 2024

I normally include all the group match results in the mid-season report, but I have a feeling that this may be a historic European campaign for Meldert - historic as in the first time we'll finish higher than 4th place in the group stage - so I'll do a match by match report this time. icon_smile.gif

We're in a group with Sporting CP, CSKA Moscow and Werder Bremen. Still not a walk in the park, but on paper, not as tough a group as it could have been.

Then again, it's 2024, so the European landscape is slightly different than it was at the start the game.

Sporting Club de Portugal, for instance, where we'd travel for our first match, seem like the type of team you'd meet in the Third Qual Round, but they're the top seeds of the group, and not without reason.

They won the UEFA Cup in 2017 and were runners up in 2021, won the Champions League in 2012 and 2019, and added a few quarter and semi final appearances the last few years. So perhaps they're not absolute top, but not far off.

Sporting CP - Meldert

With three of the defenders in my Euro squad injured, we had an 18 year old DC in the starting lineup, and another 19 year old on the bench. It probably wasn't the determining factor, but it certainly didn't help, as we were 2-0 down after 15 minutes, and the match was effectively over.

We deserved more from the match though. Not a win, not even a point, but we had some great chances to score, and a goal would have been nice.

Other result in the group:

Werder Bremen - CSKA Moscow: 2-1

Midseason Salpa Update

Well, well, well... we are half way through the year and we have already won 1 more game than for the total of last season. We won our first two games infact however the season has slowed down a bit since then and we have accumulated two more wins since. However we are sitting pretty in 7th place and were playing well. We have had problems with red cards and yellow cards meaning we are suffering from a lot of suspensions but we seem to be coping.

Infact this is how Patrick Lagerblom got promoted to the senior side. He netted 14 times in 8 games for the u20s and he stepped up to the plate when he came off the bench to net twice in an unbelievable come back from 3:0 down to MyPa including the last minute equaliser.

Even my defenders have realised that its time to stand up and be counted and i can confidently replace any of the starting 11 with a back up player and not spend the game worrying about him messing up.

So...heres to am equally good second half to the season

on a side note we got knocked out the cup in the 4th round (the first round premier division teams enter the competition) against a 'Grey' Team.

Good luck rlipscombe...cant say I've heard of them either...?

Gundo - Many congratulations mate, a superb season after last years escapades! Great to see Myhre and Ringstad leading the way!

We beat West Ham 4-1 at home, but I'm having trouble uploading screenshots, so I might just compile them for the End of Season report later. We have Man U as expected next round...

Meldert, Belgium - October 2nd 2024

Match two of the group stage, at home against third seed Werder Bremen.

Bremen's European history of the past fifteen odd years: decent, but not top. They're in the group stage pretty much every year, sometimes survive it, sometimes don't. They did reach the Quarters twice in the last three years though, so they're no pushovers.

Meldert - Werder Bremen

Our defense was back at full strength, and it showed. It was a tight, even match with relatively few chances on either side.

Lambrechts was stretchered off, and his replacement - a newly signed 21-year old Spanish kid - gave us the lead late in the first half. Bremen equalized early in the second, and the match was pretty much locked after that.

Slightly disappointed that we failed to win, but it was a fair result.

CSKA Moscow - Sporting CP: 0-2

Meldert, Belgium - October 23rd 2024

CSKA Moscow had lost their first two matches, so getting a result from our trip to Russia would go a long way towards snatching third place in the group.

Not an easy task though. The group's second seeds were Champions League Semi Finalists last year (after eliminating Werder Bremen in the Quarters). Admittedly, this was their best result since 2008, but we were still up against it.

We have also faced CSKA a few times in the past. We got 1 point against them in the group stage in 2017, and they kept us out of the group stage with a 2-1 agg win in 2020's Third Qual Round.

CSKA Moscow - Meldert

A big result from a very even match that could have swung either way.

They took the lead with a corner kick goal, but we kept battling hard, and went up and over them in the second half. Two close range headers from killer crosses, the second one scored by my new Mexican striker, in his third appearance for the club, just seconds before his already arranged substitution.

Werder Bremen - Sporting CP: 2-2

We're now in third place with 4 points, while CSKA have 0 points. With two of our remaining three matches to be played at home, I'm quietly confident that we can get at least third place.

Update - SalPa - End of Season - 2014

Our third season in the top flight was expected to be another tough battle against relegation however it was a suprisingly good season. We were safe from relegation well before the end of the season. This was lucky as our form dipped at the end. The big story other than the top half finish was the discovery of goal machine Patrick Lagerblom

Some Screenies

------------------------------------------------

MANAGER

Argurios Morningstar Profile

The board have assured me contract negotiations will start asap

Confidence

CLUB

Squad

Transfers

Finances

Our finances have suffered greatly this season. Its a big warning that our growing stature and with that our growing wage budget is becoming a problem

PLAYERS

Top Scorer - Niko Sinisalo

Niko beats Patrick Lagerblom with a last day hattrick. First time in 5 years anyone has beaten Lomski who played most of the year on the right wing. The Captain made up for the lack of goals with plenty of assists

My Player of the Season - Jonni Kettunen

Jonni made himself forst choice center half this season with some outstanding performances. He has really helped our defence improve this year

HIGHLIGHTS

The discovery of Patrik Lagerblom

Patrick was actually out of contract at the club and wasnt going to be recieving a new one anytime soon as the 20 year old languished in the u20s

AC Oulo 2 - 7 SalPa

A huge win over relegation rivals AC Oulo

Salpa 5 - 1 MyPa

A great result against a team probably most famous for playing Liverpool once

Patrick Lagerblom

A glympse at the hero of the year. I have no idea why he scores so many to be fair. He looks less than impressive. I dont think ive seen him score a header either

LEAGUE

Odds / 150 - 1

Prediction - 14th

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

---------------------------------------------------------------

| Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts |

| 1 - TPS ---------- 26 - 16 -- 5 -- 5 - 52 - 29 -- 23 - 53 |

-------------------------------------------------------------------

| 6 - FC Haka ------ 26 - 12 -- 4 - 10 - 42 - 42 --- 0 - 40 |

| 7 - SalPa -------- 26 -- 8 - 10 -- 8 - 54 - 47 --- 7 - 34 |

| 8 - IFK Mariehamn 26 -- 8 - 10 -- 8 - 30 - 36 -- -6 - 34 |

| 9 - Honka -------- 26 - 10 -- 3 - 13 - 33 - 46 - -13 - 33 |

-------------------------------------------------------------------

| 14 - AC Oulo ------ 26 -- 4 -- 6 - 16 - 23 - 51 - -28 - 18 |

</pre>

So a top half finish and a plus goal difference for the first time in the top flight. ow we need to find a way of bridging the 19 point gap to TPS. A very successfull season all in all.

CUP

> 0:1 AC Kajaani A Thu, 8.5.2012 Finnish Cup 4th Rnd

</pre>

Really wound up the board again with this early exit against a 'grey' team we had beaten in a previous season

FUTURE

The arrival of Lagerblom has left me with a difficult selection problem upfront. Ive moved Lomski onto the wing as he has previous history of scoring goals from midfield. I think this next year will see Lagerblom and Sinisalo form a partnership with Tony Levola whom i believe is a future star on the bench. Levola has only just turned 17 but already has a handfull of first team goals. As for signings, i think maybe a substitue keeper is needed and not much else but if i spot a bargain ill definatly snap it up. As for next season, ill be extatic if we can equal this years performance.

HISTORY

LEAGUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Year DIV Pos P W D L F A Gd Pts |

| 2014 -- Prm ------ 7 ---------- 26 -- 8 - 10 --- 8 - 54 - 47 --- 7 - 34 |

| 2013 -- Prm ----- 11 ---------- 26 -- 3 - 12 -- 11 - 37 - 56 - -19 - 21 |

| 2012 -- Prm ----- 12 ---------- 26 -- 6 -- 5 -- 15 - 42 - 55 - -13 - 23 |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

| 2011 -- 1st ------ 1 ---------- 26 - 20 -- 3 --- 3 - 74 - 23 -- 51 - 63 | (Promoted)

| 2010 -- 1st ------ 3 ---------- 26 - 13 -- 7 --- 6 - 57 - 38 -- 19 - 46 |

| 2009 -- 1st ------ 6 ---------- 26 - 11 -- 8 --- 7 - 39 - 27 -- 12 - 41 |

| 2008 -- 1st ----- 11 ---------- 26 -- 8 -- 4 -- 14 - 33 - 49 - -16 - 28 |

CUP

------------------------

| Year Div Rnd |

------------------------

| 2014 -- Prm ----- 4th |

| 2013 -- Prm ----- 6th |

| 2012 -- Prm ----- Semi |

--------------------------

| 2011 -- 1st ----- 4th |

| 2010 -- 1st ----- 4th |

| 2009 -- 1st ----- 5th |

| 2008 -- 1st ----- 4th |

------------------------

</pre>

My game crashed and i was sent back to 9th with the last two games to play. This was a tad disappointing but the disappointment was short lived

SalPa 8 - 0 FC Haka

Lagerbloms 4 not only ensured we won a game we had previously drawn but also his place as the clubs top scorer

we also won the last game 5-2 against 47, a game which we had previously won 5-3 anyway.

In the end we finished 7th still with a slightly better goal difference and 36 points instead of 34.

A good season overall then Boskovic, well done. It's a bit of a mystery to me as well...how exactly does Lagerblom score goals? As you say he does look less than impressive. But what a record he has, good luck next season!

CoachFlu, great result against CSKA, surely you can get 3rd now? Maybe with a good result against Werder Bremen you could take 2nd?

Gundo A big congrats from me mate icon14.gif It's good to see your Randaberg boys doing the business. All the best in Europe, all aboard the Randaberg express icon_rolleyes.gif

Ringstad had a bit of loss of form for me last season and went 11 games without a goal. He returned to form in the end and walked away with fans player of the year again. He's continued his form this season and things are looking good! How's he doing for you?

On a side note, have you started to lose your players to bigger European teams in July yet? It means my poor scouts are working overtime!!

Rlipscombe Good luck in the second leg. I'm sure you'll do it icon_wink.gif

Coachflu An historic year ahead - maybe! Things are looking promising, good luck in your final home games.

Boskovic A respectable year and you're improving every season. KUTGW icon14.gif

Nepenthez Well done on a good season.

Mini Update on Skjetten:

Our European adventure continues....for now. We've just played the second qualifying round against Malmo FF. We lost 1-0 away from home, which i wasn't overly worried about. Their GK got MoM and we hit the target 12 times.

The return leg saw us perform really well and we won 4-0 icon_eek.gif

This has meant we have almost reached the Group Stage of the Champions League at our first attempt. We just need to get past Shaktar icon_rolleyes.gif

Slavonija Uefa Cup Update - 21/22 - The Big variety - I've had trouble uploading images so here come a few updates in a row...

West Ham (a) - Here is the screenshot to the result I mentioned above. A great result at home and more than ensured our progress to the 2nd knockout round to face Man Utd icon_eek.gif.

Slavonija Uefa Cup Update - 21/22

Quarter-Final

The first leg was away and meant a trip to the Theatre of Dreams icon_rolleyes.gif. This would obviously be a massive test for my players but after seeing Feyenoord win there 5-3 in the last round it gave me some sort of hope.

Man Utd (a) - Incredible!!! The greatest result in the history of Slavonija. Fact. It was an unusual game, one I really didn't expect us to dominate (obviously). My players seemed to have other ideas and the increasingly loved Georgi Panayotov really upped his game for this one. A hattrick at Old Trafford really is something rare and will no doubt be cherished by the supporters for many many years. Despite this fantastic win, it would mean nothing if we couldn't reproduce a similar performance at home. I am starting to believe these players could bring home some European silverware... icon_eek.gificon_cool.gif

2nd Knockout Round (not the Quarter Final icon_rolleyes.gif) 2nd Leg

Man Utd (h) - The tie was near enough wrapped up in the 16th minute as the Romanian Matei Tamas lashed home his first goal of the season from 25 yards! Despite United's best efforts, our defence held firm for almost the entire game, and Barlecaj our keeper picked up the MOM. Overall an even tie if you look at both legs. However our finishing was better ultimately and we're into the Quarter Finals!

Meldert, Belgium - November 5th 2024

Match 4 of the group stage, at home against CSKA Moscow. Moscow had 0 points, we had 4 points, so a win would secure third place in the group, for the first time in our history. A draw would be acceptable, a loss would put the pressure on us again.

Meldert - CSKA Moscow

A boring match for the neutral observer. The goals not included, each team had one other good chance, early in the match. All the other shots at goal would struggle to make it into Match of the Day highlights.

We took the lead with a nice indirect free kick, giving us a vital goal in the sort of match that felt like whoever scores once may win the match.

But then one of my defenders gave away a cheap corner kick, under no pressure at all. The corner kick swung harmlessly to the byline, but another defender gave away a cheap penalty. Back to square one.

They got a player sent off shortly after that, pulled back, and we failed to break down their defense.

Still, a vital not-loss, which means that, even if we lose twice now, CSKA will have to win both remaining matches to deny us third place in the group.

Sporting CP - Werder Bremen: 0-3

Not the best result for us, since that puts Bremen in the lead with 8 points (Sporting 7, we have 5). But I'm not terribly concerned about that. It looks like we'll finish third, and I'd be pleased enough with that.

Thanks cookie, really enjoying this challenge, still a long way off completing it though icon_smile.gif. 442to445 can't help you off the top of my head, I seem to recall Gundo posting the restart dates a few pages back or so icon14.gif.

Quarter Final

So we were drawn against PSV in the Quarters. After beating Celtic 4-0 on aggregate I expected a tough game. They had also come runners up in this competition last year so it was really not going to be easy to make the semi finals where either Shaktar or Gimnastic were waiting.

PSV (h) - An unusual scenario for us as we had to negotiate the home leg first this tie. Fortunately the master of first legs - Georgi Panayotov was bang on form and single handedly won us the game. 4 goals at home for him - almost as good as the hattrick at Old Trafford set us on our way to the Semi-Finals. Surely with a 4-0 lead heading to Holland we'd be fine? The match itself was far easier than expected, we didn't really have any problems and other than the disallowed goal for them in the 90th minute we kept them at bay. We were nearing ever-closer to glory...

Just a minor complaint I've noticed - why doesn't it show you where the final is being played? It would be nice to have something to work towards icon_smile.gif. (I think I'm getting too far ahead of myself)

Quarter Final 2nd Leg

PSV (a) - A really odd game, the goals just flew in and it was as if we were taking turns. Definitely a game for the neutral as PSV seemed determined to at least go out in style. Goals from all over the park and it was Ibric who picked up the MOM award. So a big aggregate win against last years finalists, surely we can go all the way?! icon_razz.gif

We have been drawn against Gimnastic in the Semi-Finals. Very much like us, they have no past European glory and appear to be having a phenomenal season to get this far (they are all 'grey'). We are travelling to Spain in the first leg icon_biggrin.gif.

good luck iacovone... i feel a place in the final for you coming up... some great wins there.

cookie15 - as for my chances in the second leg, i remain fairly pessimistic. in two minds over how to play. attack them, or defend and hope for a 1-0... just need Murray and Thomas on form.

hopefully i'll get round to posting my end of season report today too.....

Semi Finals Leg 1

Gimnastic (a) - Stange circumstances before this game - we were tipped as favourites in for this match icon_eek.gif! So much like you rlipscombe I didn't know how to play them. As it turns out I went for my usual tactic of counter attacking, hoping I could nick a goal. Unfortunately for us Panayotov picked up an injury in the league and was out of this match. That severely limited our chances of getting a crucial away goal! My pessimism was shown to be true as we came away from the game with a 0-0. Definitely not the worst result but I would have liked a score-draw. This does put the pressure on somewhat for the 2nd leg as we'll presumably be favourites again and be expected to come out and attack Gimnastic. I'm not feeling too confident now, they were strong at the back and if they score first in the 2nd leg, that could well be that. Fingers crossed... icon_rolleyes.gif

Semi-Finals Leg 2

Gimnastic (h) - Annoyingly I was right. 1-0 defeat at home is bitterly disappointing. We played very poorly, not one player received a '7'. I'm not too sure what went wrong, it seems like Gimnastic are the first side I've come across that nullified our familiar 4-4-2 tactic. It may be time to tweak. The game itself was even but after the two sendings off in the first leg we lost two key players. Tamas's early injury meant we had a vastly weakened centre midfield and combined with Panayotov still not being fully fit we struggled. Early into the second half we failed to deal with their near post corner and we found ourselves 1 down. Despite my best efforts (3 men up front, all out attack) we just couldn't find the net. And so, another European campaign ends. Very pleasing run in the Uefa Cup but can't help but feel we deserved to go further! Incidently Gimnastic went on and won the Uefa Cup. Fair play to them icon14.gif

End of Season report coming soon.

Originally posted by iacovone:

Semi-Finals Leg 2

Gimnastic (h) - Annoyingly I was right. 1-0 defeat at home is bitterly disappointing. We played very poorly, not one player received a '7'. I'm not too sure what went wrong, it seems like Gimnastic are the first side I've come across that nullified our familiar 4-4-2 tactic. It may be time to tweak. The game itself was even but after the two sendings off in the first leg we lost two key players. Tamas's early injury meant we had a vastly weakened centre midfield and combined with Panayotov still not being fully fit we struggled. Early into the second half we failed to deal with their near post corner and we found ourselves 1 down. Despite my best efforts (3 men up front, all out attack) we just couldn't find the net. And so, another European campaign ends. Very pleasing run in the Uefa Cup but can't help but feel we deserved to go further! Incidently Gimnastic went on and won the Uefa Cup. Fair play to them icon14.gif

End of Season report coming soon.

Unlucky, iacovone. Nevertheless, another great European campaign!

Those near post corners can be annoying. CSKA scored one of those against us as well. But generally, we score more of those than we concede, so I can't really complain. icon_smile.gif

UGS - Challenge League - 11/12 - Winter Break

As previously mentioned an apparent change in reputation brought a much more active summer than I was expecting.

First up 10 players from the first couple of seasons who had barely featured in the last year left at the end of their contracts which nicely brought down the wage bill. There followed 2 first choice Lausanne players who for some reason preferred to join UGS than stay there. And then 3 ex-Young Boys, well, young boys, all 20 or younger, one a very useful looking Swiss U21 striker.

4 loans later, 3 young and one old and I felt I was ready for the new season.

A 4-2 away win with Tim Werner (the new striker) getting 2 was just what I was looking for. One point ad 3 goals from the next 5 games was not. Back to floating around the relegation zone again icon_rolleyes.gif. Thankfully 2 easy home wins over 2 of the favourites for relegation halted that but not Werners lack of goals. Somehow I managed to make this very good striker not score for 13 hours, impressive feat I am sure you'll agree.

Despite this, it was now the defence that was causing all the problems, 4 goals were conceded 6 times in the first 14 games. Wins were here and there so we were settled in mid-table but we had the second most porous defence. For some reason after an embarrassing non-league defeat in the second round of the cup all changed. 4 unbeaten games including impressive draws against leaders Aarau and La Chaux-de-Fonds. There followed 2 unlucky defeats and an unlucky draw against 3rd placed Lugano (in Lugano) where we led 3-1 with 5 minutes to go. In those last 7 matches we took the lead in all so things are improving at least.

Winter Break Table

For some reason, the break is one game early this season.

Anyway, we are 12th and although only 1 position higher than last season, the situation is much better.

We still have the second worst defence but it is getting better and I kind of know why we leak so much. We have 7 players capable of playing at DC; 3 are 20, 1 is 19 and 3 are 17 (inc. 2 loanees), some experience might help. One of those 17yos was brought in on loan to play at DL but he has proved pretty dodgy so a youth product is playing there and surprisingly well also. There have been a couple of times where we have lined up with a defence of ages: 17, 17, 20, 20.

No problems up front, lots of goals, Werner sorted himself out and has 10 and both our wingers have got a fair few. The big disappointment has been Cortesi (10 in 12 at the end of last season); just one goal and few great performances, was not totally distraught he got a 3 month injury as it gave me an excuse to try someone else out at AMC who has been ace.

So, the aim is still top 10, something which is not totally out of reach as we have already won away at both Concordia and Wil and the majority of our remaining matches are with teams below us.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> League re-set dates

Austria - 23rd June.

Belarus - 10th February.

Belgium - 29th June.

Bulgaria - 29th June.

Croatia - 18th June.

Czech Republic - 28th June.

Denmark - 5th July.

Finland - 7th January.

Greece - 19th June.

Hungary - 19th June.

Iceland - 20th January.

Ireland - 5th January.

Israel -

N.Ireland - 29th April.

Norway - 18th January.

Poland - 28th June.

Romania -

Russia - 26th December.

Serbia - 9th July.

Slovakia - 28th June.

Slovenia - 28th June.

Sweden - 25th December.

Switzerland - 18th June.

Turkey - 19th June.

Ukraine - 18th June.

Wales - 18th June. </pre>

Slavonija End of Season Update - 2021/22 (Season 14)

Overview

League - 1st

Champions League - 3rd in group (last season = 3rd in group)

Uefa Cup - Semi Finals (last season = Quarter Finals) icon_smile.gif

Croatian Cup - 2nd Round (same as last year) icon_rolleyes.gif

Croatian Super Cup - Runners Up icon13.gif

Despite starting the season sloppily (2 defeats in first two games) we began to find our rhythm and moved up to our favourite position of 1st. As has been the case these past 7 seasons, we've stayed there once we get there and it was no different this year. No real challengs was mounted and we picked up our 7th consecutive title. Dinamo Zagreb once again finished in the relegation playoff spot and were fortunate not to go down again. Ivica Olic has now been sacked as Dinamo manager after just a year.

In the Croatian Cup I went with the 2nd string again, and again they failed me. Although to be fair Osijek came to us and played us off the park. It was a very good performance by them, 4-1.

In Europe as most of you will be aware, we did well and got to the semi finals of the Uefa Cup. As our campaign gained momentum so did my confidence in what we could achieve. Sadly for us though, Gimnastic got the better of us and deservedly went on to win the final at the Bernabeu. Well done to them icon14.gif. In the Champions League we were unlucky not to make it out of a tough group of Chelsea, Barcelona and Dortmund, missing out by 1 goal! My ambition for next year is to qualify for the 1st knockout round of the Champions League.

The seasonal awards were not headed to Slavonija this year. Young Player of the Year was finally handed to another club. After 7 years of dominating this award, thats fine by me - I'll probably just go and snap him up! Top Goalscorer went elsewhere too as we very much shared the goals around this year. Lukas Kovar was inexplicably overlooked for the Player of the Year trophy and came in 2nd.

Club News

More changes at the club as a few unsettled members of the club saw their future's elsewhere. Young striker Niko Pavlovic wanted regular first team football and so he moved onto Istra 1961. Left winger Martin Bjelanovic departed after just a season with us, moving to Greece for AEK Athens. Finally the other big name to leave was solid centre back Robert Javorcic went to our rivals Hadjuk. We had good cover and prospects at centre back so I wasn't too worried by this.

Incoming transfers saw a double swoop from Sibenik - left winger Niko Friscic and forward Benjamin Ibric. I also signed two young prospects, Italian centre back Pietro Pisano and Ednei Lira a young Brazilian striker. However both of these players have so far failed to impress the fans. Plenty of time for them to develop though. Dubravko Siklic (anyone remember him?) signed from Hadjuk to give competition at left back. He played for us between 2013-2017.

Off the field news saw the stadium increase by 4.5k during the season, pushing the capacity up to 22k. The board have since told me that it will be further expanded over the next 6 months by another 9k icon_biggrin.gif. This takes us past the magic 30k mark. Dividend payments were huge this year (and I don't know why?! icon_confused.gif) - £11million. Combine this figure with the £6million being spent on the stadium expansion and our finances are down to about £24million icon13.gif.

My Player of the Year - Lukas Kovar icon14.gif - The kid will be sorely missed next season. He has an arranged transfer to Palermo for a decent amount of money and the best I could do was ensure it went through at the end of the season. He scored 10 goals from left wing as well as breaking the assists record.

Fans Player of the Year - Sinisa Lucic - Once again the supporters name him their idol. He stayed fit unlike last year but now with the added depth up front he doesn't always start and this is reflected in his goalscoring. Although having said that he did break the all-time Slavonija goalscoring record and get numerous assists (10). Good season again.

Top Goalscorer - Georgi Panayotov - Another very good season for the Bulgarian. He was a force to be reckoned with in Europe and it was a shame he missed the Gimnastic games. Has about 2/3 years left in him at this level I'd say.

Promising Players

19/20 Watch:

Lukas Kovar - departed now for Palermo.

Josip Pavlovic - departed last season.

20/21 Watch:

Dragan Brcic - Very capable centre back, but will he ever get the chance to stake a regular claim for a first team spot? Played 9 games last year doing very well.

Marino Slavica - Didn't quite cut it in the end, left on a free and now plays for Cakovec in the 2nd Division.

Hrovje Dumancic - Played 15 games this season, mainly in the league and continued to impress. 6 assists and 3 goals have shown me that this youth product will be sticking around here for a while yet. There's something I like about him. icon_smile.gif

21/22 Watch:

Vlado Grubisic - Another product of the youth system who has become very reliable backup. He is probably worthy of a starting place, much like Brcic, but at the moment I prefer the CB's I spent money on. I know that for a good few years I won't have to invest in the CB position though.

Matei Tamas - Well he still hasn't exactly improved his performances but there's still something I like about him. Bought from my feeder club it kind of feels like I've adopted him from a friend that couldn't provide for his child icon_razz.gif. Anyway whatever it is that's bonded me to Tamas is irrelevent really. I need him to improve on his average rating of 6.83.

22/23 Stars of the Future:

Ivan Tokic - The latest prospect from the youth academy. At just 16 he is already showing the signs of a truly great player. With some good coaching, some games and a mentor he could be something special icon_cool.gif.

Igor Ivancic - Igor was the Under 19s top goalscorer last year with more goals than games and looks promising up top. Hopefully he'll have a good 2nd developmental year and maybe move him into the senior squad.

Seasonal Best 11 - I've put this in here because I left it too late to screenshot my players. This way you can see goals and average ratings from the season icon14.gif

Overall Best 11 - 4 new inductees this year icon_cool.gif Hurrah! Lukas Kovar is in I assume for just being immense. Levente Dragan has stepped into the history of Slavonija after 6 seasons of dedicated service. Georgi Panayotov is finally rewarded for his goalscoring feats. Centre back Marko Djokic is also named in the Overall 11 3 seasons of consistentcy icon14.gif.

Records Broken - Attendance record broken. Transfer fees spent record broken (approx £7million). Assists and goals records broken.

Gundo - for you:

7 domestic titles

Uefa Coeff - 16th - 91.763 (up 14 places)

Nation Coeff - 12th - 31.833

Thanks for the sympathy guys, I feel like we're close to a final. But we're also getting better and so that will mean (hopefully) more Champions League knockout round appearances. So in that sense a final could be a way off because we may not play in the Uefa Cup that much more.

Archived