Has anyone tried a Pentagon challenge on FMC?

Just to make it clear, it's a challenge where you start unemployed with Sunday League rep and the aim is to win the champions league of North America, South America, Europe, Africa and Asia.

Given its nature and speed of progress, I thought FMC would be ideal for this.

• Administrators

I'm doing it at the moment actually.

Started at Santiago Morning in Chile. Moved to:

Colo Colo, then Cruziero - won Libertadores & CWC,

moved to NYCFC in MLS - won NACL & runners up in CWC,

moved to Guangzhou, then Pohang - won the ACL & came third in CWC (twice).

Now at Barcelona, and have won the ECL. Got 3 years left on the contract though so will need to let that run down or resign before taking up a job in South Africa (waiting on Orlando Pirates or Kaizer Chiefs really).

It's good fun, and just at the end of the 2020s at the moment. Good Luck if you try it :thup:

Nice going there.

A smart move waiting for Pirates or Chiefs for Africa. I was doing it on FM 12 and made a mistake of joining some random South African club. I was winning domestic titles, but could never come close to winning their CL. The squad was too weak, rep was too low and finances never significantly improved.

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to give it a go and do it the hard way.

Started unemployed with Sunday League rep and took the first job that came up, as per rules.

Jomo Cosmos was the club, 2nd tier of South Africa.

1st season - won the first division, aka second tier

2nd season - 5th place

3rd season - 3rd place

4th season - 2nd place

5th season - champions

6th season - champions

I participated in the African Champions League twice. Reached the semis the first time and won it the following season!

I recommend everyone playing there, they have tricky rules. The CL consists of preliminary round, 1st round and 2nd round (all two legs) and then two groups of 4 teams are formed. After these 6 games, first two advance to semis, which are played over 2 legs, as well as the final.

On top of that, the first part, up to game 3 of the groups is played in the current season, while the rest is played out in the first half of the following season. It's challenging to keep up the form.

I moved to Guangzhou in China now, the timing of my winning the CL and their manager getting the sack was impeccable.

My point is, FMC is made for these type of saves where lots of seasons are required. Strongly recommend. :)

• Administrators

I found Guangzhou quite frustrating due to the lack of competition in the CSL and the team having stinkers in the ACL, so good luck with that. Korea also seemed a better destination for foreigners due to better standard of football I found.

Glad you're enjoying it :thup:

I found Guangzhou quite frustrating due to the lack of competition in the CSL and the team having stinkers in the ACL, so good luck with that. Korea also seemed a better destination for foreigners due to better standard of football I found.

Glad you're enjoying it :thup:

Yeah, after moving to China, I've had a look around the league and also Korean clubs. I fear what you said might be the case. It's always like that when the league is not competitive and you live for continental competitions. Your team has a bad day and you have to slog through entire season all over again.

We'll see, if I managed to fight past Kaiser Chiefs and their constantly sniffing (and buying those with a min clause!) around my best players, hopefully I'll make it here as well.

The CL format I described above in Africa is really difficult in semis and finals because it's hard to keep momentum and high form in September and October. You depend on luck far too much than I'd like.

• Administrators
Should try a Hexagon challenge, with the Oceanic Champions league included. Plus the African one's cheating unless you load some extra leagues and do it that way.

Not possible in FMC. And what do you mean "African one is cheating"?

Can i ask what is pentagon challenge and what do i do, im wanting to give it a go

See opening post :)

Right, it took me only 2 seasons to get things done in Asia. Won the double in the first season but failed to progress past the group stages of CL. I realized I didn't buy the right type of foreigners (of which you can only have 4 in the match squad) so I was back to the drawing board. This time I invested in 3 Brazilians, all 29-30 yo, which proved to be key.

gkN68iC.png

IN8GBFp.png

I1jeyzQ.png

I stormed the CL this time, but the most memorable thing was the second round.

smb6Vda.png

TJunmzO.png

Anyway, career so far.

Jomo Cosmos

2nd season - 5th place

3rd season - 3rd place, won MTN 8 Cup

4th season - 2nd place

5th season - champions, CL semis

6th season - champions, CL winners

Guangzhou

1st season - champions, won Chinese FA Cup, CL group stage

2nd season - champions, won Chinese Super Cup, CL winners

I was unpleasantly surprised no decent, top division club from South America or Europe would employ me and I refuse to go below top tier. My rep is continental, so I guess they don't rate my success in Africa and Asia very highly.

Mexicans ignored me as well, so the only option left for me was MLS, and mid-table at that; San Jose Earthquakes.

Can anyone share their experience with MLS? I played it on FM12 and I remember the bunch of rules and regulations annoyed me no end. What's it like on FMC?

• Administrators

MLS is different in FMC you won't have to worry about the squad rules as much or the draft system, etc. It's basically your bog standard European style league in the MLS on FMC, no foreigner restrictions in the MLS.

MLS Cup however has a 5 foreigners rule, so be careful not to go too nuts on signing too many Brazilians like I did.

Have you not given the CWC a go yet with Jomo or Guangzhou?

I'd guess that South America/Europe are not that interested yet, but you should get jobs at similarly rep countries. Could be worth getting a national management gig to try and increase your rep a bit as well.

And, congratulations too :thup:

Hmm. I've attacked the Pentagon backwards, which with hindsight was probably a stupid idea :D

I'm Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho (SJK) in the Finnish Premier League (Champions in season one :cool: ) and need to see how my reputation develops. I haven't really thought about my path through the continents very well. At the moment, I just want to get a shot at the F.C. København job in Denmark or AIK in Sweden.

I wonder how reputation works. If, in several seasons, I win the European CL after moving through European leagues, will I become too big a fish for clubs in South Africa or Asia to want me to manage them? I just want to get F.C. København / AIK really successful in the short to medium term. Perhaps I'd have to switch continent before winning the European CL?

• Administrators

No.

But your contract at your current clubs will be a factor, certainly. Supposing you had resigned at the end of a contract they should be willing to take you on if you've had some level of success (the more the better, really). If you still have a contract then you may be too expensive.

No.

But your contract at your current clubs will be a factor, certainly. Supposing you had resigned at the end of a contract they should be willing to take you on if you've had some level of success (the more the better, really). If you still have a contract then you may be too expensive.

Cheers Lucas :thup:

I'd almost certainly resign after winning each leg of the Pentagon, which should help me on the way.

I haven't given CWC a go, no. I resigned at Cosmos because Guangzhou was available and it seemed too good to pass up. Similarly, I resigned in China because Palmerias had no manager. I thought, without me having a contract and having what I thought a high rep, they would surely take me. Well, guess what. :D

I haven't given CWC a go, no. I resigned at Cosmos because Guangzhou was available and it seemed too good to pass up. Similarly, I resigned in China because Palmerias had no manager. I thought, without me having a contract and having what I thought a high rep, they would surely take me. Well, guess what. :D

Ha! Sounds like my bad decision making processes after winning titles in Hong Kong, India and Australia :)

I quit, assuming that there was no way that a top South American club wouldn't want me :o

Ha! Sounds like my bad decision making processes after winning titles in Hong Kong, India and Australia :)

I quit, assuming that there was no way that a top South American club wouldn't want me :o

I'm sticking with it, at least for now. San Jose are a mid table team and I could gradually improve them over a few seasons. If not, I'll hopefully earn a move to one of the big boys of MLS. Maybe your reputation, or at least some of it, transfers over to a new nation once you're there? Lucas?

I knew it worked that way back in the old days (at least it seemed so).

• Administrators
I'm sticking with it, at least for now. San Jose are a mid table team and I could gradually improve them over a few seasons. If not, I'll hopefully earn a move to one of the big boys of MLS. Maybe your reputation, or at least some of it, transfers over to a new nation once you're there? Lucas?

I knew it worked that way back in the old days (at least it seemed so).

Sort've, you actually have different reputation values in game. When you look at a lot of Oceania managers in FM for example you'll see that they have "Continental" reputation, but this is their 'Current' reputation where the person is based, it's not a game world comparison necessarily. As you do more and more then your World Rep goes up, meaning you are more likely to get those jobs in different nations and continents. I would say it might be worth looking at the lower end of the top league or even a neighbouring country on the continent so you can get yourself known on that Continental stage. When I took over Cruzeiro after managing Colo Colo and Santiago Morning, Cruzeiro were in the relegation places of the Serie A at the time. Keep going at least, and give yourself options on the South America continent before looking to make the switch, and if you can, try and get a national job (it'll only give you more chances to boost your reputation on the world stage).

I was manager of USA for 4 years already by the time I'd moved to NYCFC, so I already had reputation in the US by way of winning the Gold Cup after taking over NYCFC. That probably didn't matter so much though, since the Libertadores is one of the biggest competitions you can win and it was certainly enough to carry me through to USA, China, Korea and then eventually Barcelona where I'm at in my current save.

Thanks for the advice, Lucas.

I'll try to make it without a national team job, though. I've always found managing both a club and a nation at the same time tiresome and easy to lose focus. When I'm in the middle of a tight league fight and a good CL run, it's extremely hard for me to switch focus and find motivation to go through national call-ups and subsequent games.

Well, this was one of those thrilling and completely unexpected things.

This is how the season started...

2q3ohhk.png

...and this is how it finished!

2u9rck6.png

The budget is not much, so I won't be able to attack the CL properly yet. I suspect the Mexicans will pose a serious problem in the latter stages of CL.

• Administrators
As far as I was aware even unticking that box still meant you could only run 3 nations, it just meant you could dictate the db size and add and remove leagues.

You can add as many leagues as you want with this option.

3 down, 2 (arguably the most difficult ones) to go!

2mq9fmf.png

What's more, last season I lost in Conference West final to LA Galaxy, but still qualified for the next CL because I was the best team in the regular season. This season I threw everything I got at CL, playing my 2nd string in MLS...and it paid off!

In the last few months, I turned down about a dozen job offers, including one from Arsenal!

I really hope I can now get a job at a good South American or European club, instead of having to settle for mid-table club like San Jose.

Jomo Cosmos

2nd season - 5th place

3rd season - 3rd place, won MTN 8 Cup

4th season - 2nd place

5th season - champions, CL semis

6th season - champions, CL winners

Guangzhou

1st season - champions, won Chinese FA Cup, CL group stage

2nd season - champions, won Chinese Super Cup, CL winners

San Jose Earthquakes

1st season - MLS champions