[FM15] - Did I leave the Gas on? No I'm a squirrel!

kevhamster

Hats off to anybody who noticed the thread title is an Eddie Izzard reference. :)

After starting out using FM Classic, I have decided to play from now on the full game. I reserve the right to go back to my FMC save at some point. :)

So, I have started and the following nations are loaded, all playable with all divisions. Large database selected, most recent database update.

Belgium

England

France

Germany

Holland

Ireland

Italy

Northern Ireland

Scotland

Spain

Wales

I started unemployed, but selected my attributes based on being a tactical manager, with a ex-pro (non-international) selected.

I chose not to apply for any of the clubs that start out without a manager, so I would need to wait for some other poor sod to lose his job.

I wouldn't have to wait too long. The end of September in actual fact.

2014/15 – BRISTOL ROVERS – VANARAMA CONFERENCE

150px-Bristol_Rovers_F.C._logo.svg.png

Media prediction - 2nd

Board expectation – Reach playoffs

Bristol Rovers, nicknamed the Pirates or the Gas, prior to this season, had been in the Football League since 1920. spending most of it in the third tier, until their final-day relegation in 2014. So, this was a club who were not used to being outside of the Football League and their season had not gone to plan so far.

So I took over a team who should be near the top, but were only in 15th at the time I took over, with 14 points from the first 11 games. So, not a terrible record but not good enough. And it started well. Very well indeed. The first seven games yielded six wins and a draw, before a very unlucky 3-2 defeat against Telford. We then got four wins and a draw from the next five games, so the form had been very good up to that point and we were looking good in 3rd.

However, it got a bit patchy then, as injuries started to mount, and we struggled through the end of November and December before recovering for a decent January.

Once again, form became patchy after this, and although we were always within touching distance, the patchy form left us too much to do by the end of the season and we ended up in a disappointing 7th.

Cups were a mixed bag. The board wanted us to get to the final of the FA Trophy, but we only managed the 3rd round before being dumped out by Dartford. The FA Cup was much better. We made it to the 4th round, being League Two side Luton 5-2 in the 2nd Round. However, Ipswich proved too strong, and we left Portman Road having suffered a 4-1 loss. It could have been a lot worse, though, as Ipwich had gone 3-0 up before the game had even reached the 10 minute mark.

FIXTURES

League table:

d5dQ7F5.png

Final position: 7th

At the end of the season, I was summoned to a board meeting due to the end position not meeting expectations. The end result was we would need to achieve 9 points from the first five games, or I would be sacked. However, it didn't get to that stage, as when the board decided the wage budget would be halved I decided to resign as this left me with no chance of replacing the players who were refusing to sign, effectively leaving me with half a squad.

So, off I go to the local Job Centre......

COMPETITION WINNERS:

England:

Premier League: Manchester City

FA Cup: Machester United

Capital One Cup: Manchester United

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Bristol City

FA Trophy: Barnet

League winners:

Belgium: Club Brugge

France: PSG

Germany: FC Bayern

Holland: PSV

Ireland: Shamrock Rovers

Italy: Juventus

Northern Ireland: Glenavon

Scotland: Partick Thistle :eek:

Spain: Barcelona

Wales: TNS

Champions League: Arsenal

Europa League: Inter

Very harsh to sack you, especially they was 15th when you took over.

You saying Patrick Thistle won Scottish Premier League? :eek:

They didn't sack me, I resigned after they halved the wage budget!

And yes, Partick Thistle won the SPL, beating Celtic by 3 points! I wanted to put the :eek: smiley after it, but I didn't know how to do it until I quoted your post! I was certainly surprised to see that.

I have now added it! :D

They're no Cowdenbeath. :D

Shame the Bristol Rovers didn't pan out. Always thought they'd be a great challenge.

It is tough because the Conference only has one automatic promotion place, and Bristol Rovers are clearly budgeting for bouncing straight back. Still, my next challenge promises to be an interesting one.

Not sure which was more surprising... Altrincham winning Conference Premier or Partick winning the SPL.

I'd have to go with Partick, given that nobody outside of the Old Firm has won the Scottish title for 30 years!

Everyone's shocked about the SPL winners. Nobody is about the fact Arsenal are European Champions? :D

:D

In fairness, Arsenal winning the Champions League at least sounds plausible. I can't imagine Thisle ever winning the SPL in real life, at least not how things stand today.

I'd have to go with Partick, given that nobody outside of the Old Firm has won the Scottish title for 30 years!

Where as Altrincham have never been in the Football League and in recent years not even remotely close to getting there.

• 2 weeks later...
Where as Altrincham have never been in the Football League and in recent years not even remotely close to getting there.

Altrincham were a very good non league team prior to automatic promotion from the Conference, and actually won it in 1980 and 1981. Automatic promotion (for the winners only) wasn't introduced until 1986. Their last really good effort was 1990/91 when they finished third.

Archived