Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They paid over £50m for Dzeko and Milner, and will recoup less than £10m, so it's in that sense that they were bad deals to some extent.

Given the size of City's transfer "budget" not sure the individual price of a player is relevant. Maybe financially if the owners truly want the team to eventually survive on their own, but as far as football goes, who cares?

So, as I am catching up here, I gather most Euro league windows are closed (apparently including La Liga....), but Prem is opened till tomorrow afternoon UK time? What else is still open?

Russia and Turkey are usually still open until like Sept 15, IIRC. No major leagues.

Joke levels and we're still in the Champions League. As humorous as the off the field stuff is, and this probably beats out the two Spaniards of the Apocalypse Herrera nonsense for amusement value, still no getting around it.

Yes and Moyes would have done the same with £240m spent and the level of opposition last season

They paid over £50m for Dzeko and Milner, and will recoup less than £10m, so it's in that sense that they were bad deals to some extent. Of course they made a contribution, but that contribution could have been achieved on a much smaller budget.

I totally agree about Aguero, Toure and Silva - three top notch signings.

£10m of that Milner deal was Stephen Ireland

Well. **** me.

Log on this morning for the first time since 9pm last night. This was the last news I was expecting to see. Regardless of whether we did or didn't make the fault in the de Gea paperwork it pretty much sums up our transfer dealings on the whole. Let's say it doesn't get pushed through, yes we get to keep de Gea for a year, but quite frankly I'd rather him gone considering he would obviously much rather be elsewhere and I can see Romero staying ahead of him anyway. Just bizarre. Why would Real screw the deal over at the last minute? Just amazing.

Just horrible supporting our club atm. Results not being as good as we are used to under Fergie I can accept, but everything about us being so ****ing comical is much harder to stomach.

Rooney

Di Maria Mata Depay

Schneiderlin Schweinsteiger

Shaw Jones Smalling Darmain

De Gea

To be fair, I would say that LVG only let one of his strongest team go willingly and that was Di Maria.

De Gea was outside his control though it could have been handled better.

I don't think the issue at centre back is grave as people think, United have a solid record defensively but the creativity and fluidity upfront is lacking...

I don't know how you go about addressing that but if they want to challenge for the title something needs to change in their attacking structure, maybe Marital will give them the pace they need?

This is almost bordering on Sid levels of awfulness. Di Maria, for a start, wasn't one of our strongest players, because he played like absolute **** save for his first 4/5 appearances. And LVG didn't let him go willingly, Di Maria went awol and probably never really wanted to be here anyway, what do you expect LVG to do?

de Gea wasn't outside of his control, as long as we believe that he did indeed scupper the contract renewal of de Gea back in 2014, which seems to be accepted as true.

I'm not sure I'd describe our CB situation as grave, but I'm not sure I'd rate it as high as 'good' either. Smalling is playing brilliantly, but his current partner isn't even a CB. The fact you have got Jones in your lineup is baffling considering Rojo is better than him and, considering you're including Di Maria and assuming that means we can put other players in that team that have recently left, I'd have Evans ahead of Jones every day of the week.

I keep thinking about why LvG didn't think de Gea was good enough when everyone else in the world knew he was but I can't think of anything. It's the biggest misjudge of talent I have ever known.

Because he's a ****ing idiot, something that has been getting more and more clear over the past year, sadly.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was an arrogance thing. Clear to everyone that de Gea should be signed up, but he knows better and when it all turns out that he was right he'll be lauded.

Because he's a ****ing idiot, something that has been getting more and more clear over the past year, sadly.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was an arrogance thing. Clear to everyone that de Gea should be signed up, but he knows better and when it all turns out that he was right he'll be lauded.

It does seem that way, they way he falls out with so many players is just embarrassing. It's clearly him that's the problem, not the players when he falls out with so many.

I still feel we can win the league, but it's looking less likely with every passing day. If Guardiola leaves Bayern at the end of the season we need to get rid of LvG and do everything in our power to sign him.

Who else got new contracts in the early days of LvG's tenure?

Only McNair, Blackett, Pereira, Young & Carrick have had extensions as far as I can recall.

Jones expires this summer is more signs of bad management (not necessarily from LVG in that instance).

Really starting to think we need a Sporting Director or similar.

A bit of a daft statement that. If he's one of your better players then he deserves it. Im all for a bit of irrational hate but Young last season proved he has a place here. He should be playing ahead of Depay for now.

We're an absolute joke at the moment, they are my feelings regardless of whether we messed up on DDG or not. If we get lucky and do well out of all this I still won't have it that it is down to any competent management at any level. No planning and a manager that doesn't seem to like anybody, or decent football.

No, no. It's been made pretty clear that no matter how awfully he has played that Depay shouldn't be dropped for any reason.

La Liga now saying they didn't receive any paperwork re: de Gea transfer at all. It wasn't late, they literally had nothing from Real.

Of course, if de Gea had done the decent thing and gone awol this could have all been pushed through and sorted much earlier.

I keep thinking about why LvG didn't think de Gea was good enough when everyone else in the world knew he was but I can't think of anything. It's the biggest misjudge of talent I have ever known.

Don't get this either. Could sort of see it if he could only use his legs for goalkicks, but DDG is one of the best with the ball at his feet too. Complete idiocy if LVG did hold up the renewed contract.

Will be a very interesting day. Is the DDG truly off, and do we have anybody coming in? Will even Martial go through if we don't get the DDG money. Pretty much conclusive proof of a return to the moneypinching days if he (or other big signings) don't go through now.

Really hope they have something up their sleeves, cause right now everybody in football must be wondering what the hell is going on.

This is almost bordering on Sid levels of awfulness. Di Maria, for a start, wasn't one of our strongest players, because he played like absolute **** save for his first 4/5 appearances. And LVG didn't let him go willingly, Di Maria went awol and probably never really wanted to be here anyway, what do you expect LVG to do?

de Gea wasn't outside of his control, as long as we believe that he did indeed scupper the contract renewal of de Gea back in 2014, which seems to be accepted as true.

I'm not sure I'd describe our CB situation as grave, but I'm not sure I'd rate it as high as 'good' either. Smalling is playing brilliantly, but his current partner isn't even a CB. The fact you have got Jones in your lineup is baffling considering Rojo is better than him and, considering you're including Di Maria and assuming that means we can put other players in that team that have recently left, I'd have Evans ahead of Jones every day of the week.

Di Maria was one of your better players you cannot deny that. His form was poor for a spell last season but he deserved better treatment and a second season where I believe he would have improved. I suppose I cannot tell what goes on behind closed doors though.

I like Jones. I don't believe there is a vast gap between Rojo/Jones. Similar to Evans, I don't believe either is a significant upgrade or downgrade on the other but Evans could have been kept for depth.

Of course, if de Gea had done the decent thing and gone awol this could have all been pushed through and sorted much earlier.

I've been saying this for a long time. Don't blame him for leaving especially if LVG showed no trust in him (pull contract offer?) but he needed to show more urgency to leave. This would have been better for all parties.

Di Maria was one of your better players you cannot deny that. His form was poor for a spell last season but he deserved better treatment and a second season where I believe he would have improved. I suppose I cannot tell what goes on behind closed doors though.

I like Jones. I don't believe there is a vast gap between Rojo/Jones. Similar to Evans, I don't believe either is a significant upgrade or downgrade on the other but Evans could have been kept for depth.

In theory, yes, Di Maria was the best player in our squad, but he performed as one of the worst for the whole season. But that's all beside the point because he wanted to leave. He went awol from the pre-season tour and forced our hand.

Jones is a liability, think he gets seen as better than he is because of some good tackles he makes, which are mostly tackles he only has to make because he makes an error or gets caught out of position in the first place. I do agree though that, given we are at the most stable we have been in a while in terms of defensive depth, that selling Evans and possibly even loaning out Blackett is a little odd in terms of squad management, especially as we are back in Europe this season. Tbf though, I'm also happy to see Blackett go out on loan as I think he has the potential to be pretty decent, and playing regularly, albeit in the SPL, will be better than playing 5/6 league cup, CL games for us.

Rafael Hernández

‏@RafaelH117

Manchester United sent the documentation on the right time but Real Madrid couldn’t open the document format

That's just stupid :D

All pre-season he could have been sold for a perfectly good price and maybe a proper replacement brought in. Instead of panicing with Romero and being so-so with him now. Too late

Holding out on a sale only works if you don't blink first but United have blinked like a mad man here. How clubs can't manage to do these simple things is beyond me

We've heard these 'deals done in principle' before and it's Madrid and La Liga here ... are they really going to play hardball with them over this?

Otherwise you're lumbered with the most depressed man in history coming back into the fold

Did you say this when Fergie rolled out John O'Shea every week or Phil Neville? The squad can't be full of world beaters, it needs some 7 out of 10 players that are happy with their place and who will cover positions. Young covers up to 4 positions, works his bollocks off and when on form as with last season contributes going forward. Its not about settling for mediocrity at all.

Those players were squad players, not (as it was last season) first team regulars. Fergi didn't build a decent side to leave to the next manager, the fact he won the league with them shows how bad the Premier League is.

I'm not asking for 25 world beaters as that's un-realistic, just that the squad and team are of sufficient quality which it's fair to say isn't. And the downward trend started in the later years of Ferguson's reign.

And it's quite apt that you compare Young to the backup which is what he should be. Although I don't know why you compared him to defenders, better comparison would have been Park.

"Giggs would still be our best winger if he was still playing"

The same Giggs who was largely considered gash during his last season with most United fans dreading him getting picked?

Who was being played in center of midfield at 40! His touch, control and passing were still better than the whole team, he just didn't have the legs to play CM.

He could also still cross the ball better than whoever was and is playing on the left.

And the CM area still needs work, two aging but talented CM's in Carrick and Schwini doesn't make for a dynamic midfield that's going to perform at the highest level and win trophies.

I still remember that Norwich lad doing his hamstring trying to chase Giggs on one of his last games, mad.

He was an athletic freak, no doubt about it. Even at 40, once he got going, he would trouble defenders half his age. He was very creative too, which was why he saw games centrally in his later years.

Given our current attacking options, we're just an injury or two short of crying out for Giggs to lace up his boots again. Not even fully joking when I say that. An injury to Smalling and Rooney, and we have a double crisis on our hands.

It’s hard not to feel very apathetic towards the club these days, Woodward’s had several transfer windows and now LVG has had a full year and an uninterrupted summer window to work with him and yet it all seems to amateurish, rushed or unplanned.

I do wonder if or even how long before the major sponsors start to feel we are generating the wrong type of image, or that just lumbering in the CL isn’t exciting enough to make people around the world buy into the Man Utd Image (or merchandise) anymore. Also can’t help that LVG seems very good at alienating players which could seriously affect our ability to buy the ‘marquee’ players that Addidas seem to want.

Or maybe that’s just me naively hoping that there’s something more important than CL qualification at all cost these days, but whatever happens in the next few hours unless there is a drastic improvement in the quality of our football or a serous title/cl challenge things are going to get very hostile around the club over the next 9 months.

It goes to show how far we've fallen that I wouldn't object to signing "The Zlatan". Three years ago I'd have not wanted him to join.

Just to clarify, it's not his ability that I didn't like, but his lack of application at times.

You wouldn't have wanted Zlatan in his prime? You don't deserve Zlatan.

It’s his character that would benefit us the most right now, we just don’t have anyone with that level of arrogance and self-belief in the squad anymore, plus he normally backs it up on the pitch.

He would genuinely give everyone at the club a lift, more so then almost any other player out there.

Archived