Mikenevo's [FM15+FM16] Keep It Close To Home Challenge

Yes, you need to load every player from that nation to give you the best chance of finding talent :)

If you want to do that, it's totally fine. I'll add it in as a Easy version for those who would prefer it, but to still be part of the thread.

Cheers, East Anglia isn't known for developing great football players and it's not highly populated so just being one of the counties would be hard to get going.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plymouth is in Devon according to most internet sources. Cornwall is over 50 minutes away according to Google maps and isn't apart of Devon. Again according to internet sources.

In FM terms, the following places are in the Devon area; Exter, Plymouth, Torquay, Tiverton, St Austell, Truro, Barnstaple, Bideford, Dawlish, Exmouth, Ilfracombe, Great Torrington, Willand, Teignmouth and Newton Abbot.

That's more than enough places and hopefully it should provide a good challenge to get Plymouth up the leagues.

Sounds like a good challenge, Plymouth is right in the south west corner of Devon after looking on maps, right next to the Cornwall border. Best of luck with them, I reckon it will be quite a challenge.

Can someone post a map of Leeds and it is surrounding towns and villages please, I am having trouble finding a decent photo.

This any good?

Edit sorry just realised that this is a Victorian one! Seems difficult to find a decent map of Yorkshire West Riding.

Sounds like a good challenge, Plymouth is right in the south west corner of Devon after looking on maps, right next to the Cornwall border. Best of luck with them, I reckon it will be quite a challenge.

Yeah they're extremely close. Truro have been removed as it's technically in Cornwall. There's already 5 players in the first team that are from the area and my assistant. So I'm off to a good start.

Can someone post a map of Leeds and it is surrounding towns and villages please, I am having trouble finding a decent photo.

Does this one help RB?

leeds_map.jpg

I'd recommending going onto the FM15 Editor and establishing what places are actually in and around Leeds first.

Cheers guys for your help, decided to do an easy challenge first and just pick players for Yorkshire area, will stick to West Yorkshire after season 2, then Leeds only from season 3 or 4 depending on if I can get players.

cf73f9e8dffb26ad01e3d432ebaa717f.png

Taken from google maps after searching West Yorkshire, decent catchment area and some players to chase after there.

IpswichAN.gif

Ipswich Town Boxing Day 2014 Review

Transfers ~ Championship Results ~ League Table ~ Squad Stats ~ Tactic

Manager Overview ~ Manager Info ~ Manager Info 2 ~ Club Overview ~ Facilities

So here's my first update. Overall, the club are in good shape. We have a decent stadium and facilities, the latter of which I will look to develop as much as I can. I've opted to go with Sunday League Experience, but balance that out with coaching badges. We started the season well winning our opening two games which I was a bit surprised about. However, we lost our early form and had a bit of a slump - including a home loss against fierce rivals Norwich. Nevertheless, more recently we have been on an unbeaten run and we are still in touching distance of the playoffs half way through the season. At this point, if we achieve the media prediction of 10th I will be very happy. We crashed out of the Capital One Cup in the 2nd round after beating Newport but losing to Brentford. In the FA Cup we face Stevenage in the 3rd Round. My next update will be more focused on the players, lets see how this first season goes!

There doesn't appear to be much talent in the world of Devon. But I have my eye on a few players so hopefully I'll be able to push for the play-offs this season and get a lucky intake.

Who are the top talents? I'm looking to snatch Chris Cohen as he's Norwich born

Chris Cohen is a beast of a player. East Anglia appears to have produced reasonable players for the level in which you are at for now. In terms of Plymouth top talents, we have Sean Morrison(Cardiff), Sam Gallagher(Southampton via Plymouth), Joe Mason, Jack Stephens, Ryan Dickson and Lloyd Jones. Lloyd and a few others are former Argyle players. Looking to try and bring back Lloyd on a season loan before getting a permanent deal soon. Him and his brother could be the central defensive partnership for years to come :cool:.

Those players are pretty decent. Yeah there are a few decent players knocking about from East Anglia, none above good championship level apart from two young talents I have already at Ipswich in the form of Teddy Bishop and Matthew Clark.

Chris Cohen looks like a no go as Forest are quoting 20m+ for him :/

Give it a few years and he'll be available. He always is unfortunately. Either after Forest get promoted and then relegated. Or after they struggle to get promoted for a couple of seasons and he wants out.

Think in one of my games they sold him for £8m to West Brom.

Yeah that's a good point. I've hoovered up most of the other players I wanted from East Anglia so he can wait. Plenty of centre mids, so he may become my long term left back. I guess its about pinching youth players as well. You'll be able to afford Morrison and Gallagher before you know it!

Wow, I didn't foresee as much interest in this as it has managed so far! I'm still in the early stages of starting up myself, but a day off tomorrow with hardly anything to do should give me a good starting point :)

I've decided I'm going to be Blackpool. I'll be looking to base my signings on;

map_lancs.png

I'm not overly sure on the area but would that be right mike?

Yes that's correct.

I might start this challenge soon and either be Swansea and pick players from there or close to them or might start as Celtic or Rangers, any reccomendations of clubs to be with decent area to choose players from that aint been chosen already in here, also can people if they have the time post career updates on the careers update forum so I have something to read as my life is boring lol.

I think Celtic or Rangers would be brilliant mate.

Infact, I've done a bit more research and I'll be selecting players from the following areas which are on FM;

Blackpool, Blackburn, Burnley, Preston, Morecambe, Chorley, Accrington, Ormskirk, Lancaster, Clitheroe, Fleetwood, Skelmersdale, Bamber Bridge, Burscough, Kirkham, Bacup, Colne, Nelson, Rawtenstall, Padiham, Barnoldswick and Lytham St Annes.

It's good to research because there's more places than just the main ones that pop up. Unfortunately for me, only one place outside the most obvious actually had any sort of player worth looking at :(

I am just starting this challenge myself. Looking to start as Leeds and sign players potentially from the whole of Yorkshire, as I am unsure on the map you used above but Yorkshire is one county, which multiple Ridings. I am also unsure on whether Great Manchester classes as a 'county', but that debate is for another thread!

The key to this is surely to develop your academy as much as you can? I imagine the lesser club you are, the more time you will be given. Looking at Leeds, I might struggle as the chairman seems to be of a nut job. However their reputation is fairly good, academy isn't bad and they don't have ridiculous expectations to start with.

Leeds would be a good one to try, but I hate them personally. Greater Manchester is a county, it just doesn't have a county council, same with a few others including parts of yorkshire. It's strange how Yorkshire is split up into four separate counties, yet Yorkshire as a whole is still seen as a county as well. I think for the spirit of this thread though, it doesn't really make a difference as long as you have fun and evening choosing Yorkshire as a whole will still be a massive challenge.

I will do a Christmas update, likely to be soon. Here's my transfer activity (notice I've only included the cash/claused transfers, I released a load of non-local youth players)

https://i.gyazo.com/485c36407dd79eba91ccbabf4897b6ad.png

So the biggest names I brought in were Chris Martin and Liam Trotter. There are a few others I'd like to bring in but they are ex-Norwich and are at bigger clubs so it may take a while. I already have Darren Ambrose at the club, as well as some decent youngsters in Teddy Bishop and Matthew Clarke.

By the way, this is East Anglia:

anglia_map.gif

Some impressive work has gone into that team :D Best of luck!

IpswichAN.gif

Ipswich Town Boxing Day 2014 Review

Transfers ~ Championship Results ~ League Table ~ Squad Stats ~ Tactic

Manager Overview ~ Manager Info ~ Manager Info 2 ~ Club Overview ~ Facilities

So here's my first update. Overall, the club are in good shape. We have a decent stadium and facilities, the latter of which I will look to develop as much as I can. I've opted to go with Sunday League Experience, but balance that out with coaching badges. We started the season well winning our opening two games which I was a bit surprised about. However, we lost our early form and had a bit of a slump - including a home loss against fierce rivals Norwich. Nevertheless, more recently we have been on an unbeaten run and we are still in touching distance of the playoffs half way through the season. At this point, if we achieve the media prediction of 10th I will be very happy. We crashed out of the Capital One Cup in the 2nd round after beating Newport but losing to Brentford. In the FA Cup we face Stevenage in the 3rd Round. My next update will be more focused on the players, lets see how this first season goes!

Loving the early progress you've made and it would be great to see the team push on for a play-off spot!

This is truly a great task, great challenge. And very different do what I am used to. Not going to start now as I have a different challenge to complete first, but thinking of starting with Arsenal Not impressed with all the players I can get though....

Ok cheers Mike

I'm not saying that it works though, it's just what I've been told and it does kind of make sense.

This is truly a great task, great challenge. And very different do what I am used to. Not going to start now as I have a different challenge to complete first, but thinking of starting with Arsenal Not impressed with all the players I can get though....

London as a city has twice as much talent as Greater Manchester altogether! The fact that you have all the surrounding places that make up Greater London as well should make it a great starting point for this challenge.

A back 4 of Nathaniel Clyne, Chris Smalling, Steven Taylor and Kieran Gibbs, whilst having a front 2 of Harry Kane (if you can prize him away) and Jermain Defoe, that's half your team sorted already!

I'm not saying that it works though, it's just what I've been told and it does kind of make sense.

London as a city has twice as much talent as Greater Manchester altogether! The fact that you have all the surrounding places that make up Greater London as well should make it a great starting point for this challenge.

A back 4 of Nathaniel Clyne, Chris Smalling, Steven Taylor and Kieran Gibbs, whilst having a front 2 of Harry Kane (if you can prize him away) and Jermain Defoe, that's half your team sorted already!

I did some more research and found more players yes. But was sad to see players like Jack Wilshere coming from Essex :p hehe (am Scandinavian so not so good in English geography)

I did some more research and found more players yes. But was sad to see players like Jack Wilshere coming from Essex :p hehe (am Scandinavian so not so good in English geography)

I just search for the maps on google, I'm pretty useless as well haha!

I just search for the maps on google, I'm pretty useless as well haha!

Yeah , no problem. Just I knew Wilshere has been in Arsenal since the age of 9, but still he is not from London.

However I found at that Theo Walcott who came from Southampton to Arsenal is actually born in London. (Stanmore) so I am more happy with the possible team afterall.

So other then the one's I have mentioned already, I have signed Tom Taiwo, Josh Falkingham, James Baxendale, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, Michael Woods, Jonathan Woodgate, also signed Mitchell Beeney on loan, spent 2.5m all together, sent Murphy and Wotton on loan.

Beat Birmingham 1-0 in my first game in charge, debut goal for Paul Keegan, thrashed Accrington 6-0 in the cup, debut goals for Woodgate and Baxendale and 2 goals from local boy Mowatt, going to enjoy this save I think.

After playing a season at Brescia I still couldn't find many signings in local areas. I think it might be because I didn't check the load players of nationality box when a started the game.

Regardless, I'm going to start somewhere in England where I'm a bit more familiar with the regions. I'll keep you posted on what happens

Just before i lwft for work this morning I got my first intake. Two goos Ipswich born players, an AMC and a DC. Didnt make any January signings. Excited to play a bit more when i get home.

Mikenevo, love that Jordan Rhodes is leading the line!

After playing a season at Brescia I still couldn't find many signings in local areas. I think it might be because I didn't check the load players of nationality box when a started the game.

Regardless, I'm going to start somewhere in England where I'm a bit more familiar with the regions. I'll keep you posted on what happens

I did think about doing this abroad but went somewhere i was a lot more familiar with. However, in researching i did find that a lot of the current ITA national team are from Lombardy.

So other then the one's I have mentioned already, I have signed Tom Taiwo, Josh Falkingham, James Baxendale, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, Michael Woods, Jonathan Woodgate, also signed Mitchell Beeney on loan, spent 2.5m all together, sent Murphy and Wotton on loan.

Beat Birmingham 1-0 in my first game in charge, debut goal for Paul Keegan, thrashed Accrington 6-0 in the cup, debut goals for Woodgate and Baxendale and 2 goals from local boy Mowatt, going to enjoy this save I think.

Nice signings, good to see you enjoying it!

Yeah , no problem. Just I knew Wilshere has been in Arsenal since the age of 9, but still he is not from London.

However I found at that Theo Walcott who came from Southampton to Arsenal is actually born in London. (Stanmore) so I am more happy with the possible team afterall.

Arsenal would be interesting as plenty of prem standard talent from London. Not much that starts at Arsenal though!

It's always a good sign when you enjoy it from the start :D

Just before i lwft for work this morning I got my first intake. Two goos Ipswich born players, an AMC and a DC. Didnt make any January signings. Excited to play a bit more when i get home.

Mikenevo, love that Jordan Rhodes is leading the line!

We wait on images of their stats :D Yeah Jordan Rhodes is a brilliant player and he's linking up with Wayne Rooney very nicely. Unfortunately Rooney won't be with us once I find a replacement!

Arsenal would be interesting as plenty of prem standard talent from London. Not much that starts at Arsenal though!

If you could sell some players, then you will have plenty funds to bring in the london talent :D

Not really wanting to be a London club tbh. Plymouth and Yorkshire is a no go. As is Lancashire. I couldn't be Derby or Leciester nor the West Midlands.

I suppose a Birmingham one could be interesting but going with Villa. Although I'm not quite sure what areas would be included in what.

Stoke on Trent could be interested but again, what areas would cover that.

Yeah, had a look at Birmingham but it just seems a too big of a catchment area.

I'm going with one final attempt of somewhere else before Nottingham. That would be Merseyside. On FM the areas covered are Liverpool, Southport, Birkenhead, Crosby, Prescot, St Helens, Huyton, Formby, Bootle and Whiston.

Liverpool are going to be the choice of team. Just a thought mikenevo, but would it be worth changing the rule of the captain? Just thinking it's not always easy to change the captain straight away without causing issues. Added in, for Liverpool, Gerrard is from one those areas which are apart of the county. If you tried replacing Gerrard as Liverpool captain straight away there would be outrage and you'd be screwed from the start.

That's extremely close smp :D. Would be great to get into the play-offs with the massive squad upheaval but also one to build on if you didn't.

If it works with Liverpool, this is an issue I have. Baines is a Liverpool fan irl I think so he might be possible to poach. Rooney and Barkley would be extremely unlikely considering their connections. The biggest issue I have is that Gerrard is from Huyton and there's no way I'm replacing him. Plus he's leaving at the end of the season :(.

Yeah, had a look at Birmingham but it just seems a too big of a catchment area.

I'm going with one final attempt of somewhere else before Nottingham. That would be Merseyside. On FM the areas covered are Liverpool, Southport, Birkenhead, Crosby, Prescot, St Helens, Huyton, Formby, Bootle and Whiston.

Liverpool are going to be the choice of team. Just a thought mikenevo, but would it be worth changing the rule of the captain? Just thinking it's not always easy to change the captain straight away without causing issues. Added in, for Liverpool, Gerrard is from one those areas which are apart of the county. If you tried replacing Gerrard as Liverpool captain straight away there would be outrage and you'd be screwed from the start.

I just think the captain should be from the main city. I replaced Rooney with Jagielka and the way I got around it was by making Rooney vice captain and he didn't complain one bit. If you feel strongly that we should change it though then that's fine, just let me know.

Some decent talents from Merseyside, will you be looking for an early upheaval? Unfortunately 3 of the best talents play for rivals - Rooney at Everton and Baines / Barkley at Everton.

In terms of my season, it is very tight with one league game left....

That's so close! I hope you manage to squeeze into the play-offs!

That's extremely close smp :D. Would be great to get into the play-offs with the massive squad upheaval but also one to build on if you didn't.

If it works with Liverpool, this is an issue I have. Baines is a Liverpool fan irl I think so he might be possible to poach. Rooney and Barkley would be extremely unlikely considering their connections. The biggest issue I have is that Gerrard is from Huyton and there's no way I'm replacing him. Plus he's leaving at the end of the season :(.

Baines is pretty easy to prize away, he's a player I've bought in other saves. Rooney would cost too much for now, but if he suffers an injury and declines a bit, it may be possible. As for Barkley, they will want way too much money for certain!

Nottingham Forest- I guess we have a little rivalry going here since I started the challenge with Everton :). Unfortunately, Rooney won't come to us (yet), but I did sign Dann along with having Barkley and Baines already. It seems like there are a lot of central midfielders, but not a lot of any other position.

I think I might go with Everton on FM16 :D

This sounds kind of fun to play around with until the new one comes out at least. Gone for Southampton and Hampshire. Think I'm going to be OK as there youth is good.

You never know, you might enjoy it that much that you want to do it as your first FM16 save!

IpswichAN.gif

Ipswich 2014/15 Season Review

Youth Intake ~ James Brady ~ Daniel Thomas ~ Danny Hannigan ~ Clive Quinn

A youth intake I was very happy with. Brady and Thomas are Ipswich born and both look like top prospects, shame Thomas isn't great in. I will give them some game time next season. Quinn and Hannigan could become decent squad players.

Championship Results League Table ~ Play-off Woes ~ Domestic Cups ~ Finances ~ Facility Upgrades ~ Youth Category Upgrade ~ Player Stats

So we miraculously made it into the play-offs. We had a real dip in form in January/February caused mainly by injuries and suspensions to key players (far too many sending offs, oops) but we regained form and sneaked in by winning the final game. An excellent first leg at Portman Road put us in a great position, but a hat-trick by Ipswich youth product Rhodes at Ewood Park took it to extra time and we eventually lost on penalties :(. Unfortunate, but we weren't ready for Premier League football yet and I am happy with our season overall. However, after spending a load of money on upgrades it looks like our finances are going to be pretty bleak. Lets see if I get any kind of payments for our finish to help.

EDIT: See further on, there has been a change to the save caused by crash dump!

Is there anywhere/how I can find players born in Hampshire? I have bids in for Ings and Ritchie at the moment.

Internet searches and player search for place of birth in towns/cities. Bet there's a few born in Winchester.

Archived