Mikenevo's [FM15+FM16] Keep It Close To Home Challenge

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got sacked as Leeds manager, going to start a new save, thinking of doing a PSG save and being France manager as well and see if I can win the Euros with France and mastermind a PSG team full or Parisians, trying to think of a team that have a good chance of building a good team based with players from their city, maybe Ajax, Liverpool, Everton, AC Milan, Benfica etc, anyone got any suggestions please.

I got sacked as Leeds manager, going to start a new save, thinking of doing a PSG save and being France manager as well and see if I can win the Euros with France and mastermind a PSG team full or Parisians, trying to think of a team that have a good chance of building a good team based with players from their city, maybe Ajax, Liverpool, Everton, AC Milan, Benfica etc, anyone got any suggestions please.

Ooohh Ajax could be an interesting one! Sad to see it didn't go well with Leeds :(

It's not possible being Forest unfortunately. The players aren't interested in moving for anything reasonable.

That is so annoying :( although it isn't something that has to be done immediately. Just a few local players and a decent youth intake would be a good starting point.

Southampton is a bit of a ball ache. Lots of our youngsters don't even qualify. Especially as I've gone the whole way and transfer listed everyone straight away who doesn't qualify haha. I've bought in Etheridge who is the only half decent keeper I can find so I may have to use a keeper to begin with that doesn't qualify. Other than that, Ings, Matt Ritchie, Jack Hobbs have come in.

Offered new contracts to most of my youngsters. Unfortunately there is limited information on the internet about some of their birthplaces. So any that are 'unknown' have been offered new contracts unless I can prove otherwise. One of my best youngsters originally came from Wolves' academy :(. I'll be signing players from the county so with that, I'm looking to get Steve Chettle as my assistant. Even though he was born in Nottingham.

I'd imagine that it's still ok to do that Mike?

CE.Europa.logo.jpg

Halfway Point - 2015/16

League Fixtures - League Table - Transfers - Squad

2 more games this season and how do we look compared to last season? Well, we had 36 points from 19 and were in 5th, now we have 39 points from 21 and are in 3rd whereas Espanyol "B" are completely dominating everyone else in the league and are 18 points clear already.

When you look at the squad you can see that we are entirely Barcelona born and bred now, I even sacked my ass-man at the start of the season since a Barcelona born assistant became available. Less transfers were brought in but I'm happy with them and looking in the player search there are 56 players willing to come to us who were born in Barcelona and 10 of those are rated over 3* so it looks to be slim pickings but hopefully we can make do, also if anyone wants any screenshots of any of my transfers or any of the squad then please don't hesitate to ask! :)

I will definitely post my mid-season update in the morning to mid afternoon at some point. Not had much time tonight to do anything and I'm trying to push through to 1st Feb before i post the update! Just to a little update on the squad, my most recent match in the FA Cup ended with a 6 - 0 victory over Leyton Orient and the starting 11 had 9 players who're from the Greater Manchester area! Also, both substitutes that I used were also from the Greater Manchester area :) Big news on the transfer front as Danny Welbeck made his way back to Old Trafford and provided 3 assists during this match for fellow striker Jordan Rhodes who scored 4! Rhodes now has 18 goals in 13(5) games and should have more if it wasn't for a 6 week injury lay off.

This is excellent. Really tempted to give Manchester United a go. I often play with United where I keep it national but this really takes it to the next level and motivates me.

Looking forward to follow your game, mikenevo.

You should really give it a go :) I wasn't sure when I first started the save, but as it progresses through the season, i'm enjoying it more and more! The great thing is that now I have Welbeck back at the club, we have a great front 2 of Welbeck and Rhodes, with both only 24 years old, so there's plenty of football ahead of them for the next 10 years or so! I've also got Zach Clough joining next season and the lad seems to have good potential, so who knows what could happen!

All sounds very exciting Mikenevo, there's nothing better than bringing in local lads and turning them into stars when they wouldn't normally be given the chance.

I have my end of season update to come, it proved a lot better than first anticipated :)

IpswichAN.gif

2015/16: East Anglian Army Battle In The Prem

Results ~ League Table ~ Past Positions ~ Finances ~ Transfers ~ Youth Intake ~ Best of Generation ~ Ryan Gardner ~ Player Stats

A quick glance at our past positions tells you all you need to know about our season. We had a woeful start, but pulled it around and at one point we were even in touching distance of the European Places. I'm kind of glad we didn't get there though, all those extra games would be a drain on the squad and I think our league form was helped by our early exits in the cups. We are in a fantastic position financially and we will continue to build up our facilities and youth system. I will have to overhaul the staff as I have a lot of them retiring. Now onto the youth intake - we have a potential star in Ryan Gardner, best of his generation! The rest of the intake was pretty poor but who cares I'd rather have 1 local star than 10 local average prospects. If we were to better our 9th position next season I will be surprised, though it would be nice to have a decent cup run for once.

Key Performers

Trotter ~ O'Keefe ~ Upson ~ Cohen ~ Kane ~ King ~ Bishop ~ Clarke

The first thing to notice is the effect of the addition of Cohen and Kane to our full-back positions. They have both done very well and has heavily strengthened our back line. Liam Trotter was excellent in his new AMC position while new addition O'Keefe and Ed Upson were great in the middle. Onto my 3 favourites, starting with Cameron King. He has really excelled this season and proved his worth as the Treq replacement for Ambrose. We now have a 'wonderkid' in Teddy Bishop who is the best player in the squad attributes wise. Probably my biggest favourite, Matthew Clarke, has developed immensely well and has established himself as a top performing Premier League centre back. I like that he has decent pace and has good attacking attributes, for a CB at least. Notice that top scorer Chris Martin (only 10 goals) did not make the top performers list, he was inconsistent as I expected. Also captain Luke Hyam continued with his discipline problems and despite training he still won't stop diving into tackles!

Next season's objective is still to survive, but as I mentioned a cup run would be really nice!Oh and of course, finish above Norwich.

Awesome stuff smp :D. Just one thing though, your transfers screenshot appears to be a duplication of past positions. Chris Cohen on just over £12k per week as well.

Cheers and well spotted, I've now amended it. Yes we are doing very well on wages, though theres quite a few wanting new deals a lot more lucrative....rightly so to be honest.

In other news (coincidentally our lowest paid first teamer on £800pw) Teddy Bishop has made it into the pre-liminary Euro 2016 England Squad. Fingers crossed he makes it into the 23!

CE.Europa.logo.jpg

End of Season - 2015/16

Youth Candidates - Sergio Rovira (YP2a) - Oriol Guerrero (YP2b) - Carles Busquets (YP2c) - Jamie Cabrero (YP2d) - Alejandro Martel (YP2e) - Joan Autet (YP2f)

A better youth intake this season as I increased our Junior Coaching to 'Adequate' and we have quite a few who will have a run in the first team and maybe even have a good keeper in Joan Autet.

Squad - Guillem Cornella - Isidre Brezmes (YP1c) - David Garcia - Best XI

We have a very mixed aged squad with a few experienced players mixed with quite a lot of young talent and 8 players who have come through our academy have already appeared in the first team with Isidre being one of the key players this season despite his low ability ratings. Ruben Lopez is the first new signing for next season which is why he doesn't have any appearances next to his name and I think at the end of the transfer window I'll post the profiles of all my signings since people won't really know Spanish players of our ability range.

League Fixtures 1 - League Fixtures 2 - League Table - League Player Stats

We are going up! We are going up! We actually managed to get back into the playoff places on the last day of the season which shows how tight it was, even with Espanyol B winning the league by 29 points and breaking numerous records. It was a tight affair as we beat Haro 2-1 in extra time in the Semi-Final then beat Ecija 5-3 in the play-off final after they won there league with 107 points, 101 goals scored and 15 goals conceded! Next season will be the first time they've been in the 3rd tier since a solitary season back in 1994/95, and here's hoping that we're in the league for a bit more than just one season!

As I said, I was too tempted - so I have started a game with United.

First signings:

STmsioP.png

Jagielka and Trippier are of course must buys when you manage Manchester United in this challenge. I bought Osman mostly because he is a great tutor and I think the squad lacks tutors. Excited to follow Barker, Plummer and Brownhill's development, while I think Clough will be a hit.

Tom Ince will arrive after the season.

That leaves me with the following players from Greater Manchester in my squad:

Phil Jagielka

Tyler Blackett

Tom Thorpe

Ellis Plummer

Leon Osman

Josh Brownhill

Ben Pearson

Brandon Barker

Josh Harrop

Demetri Mitchell

Marcus Rashford

Zach Clough

I am all in on Rashford and Mitchell to be first team players in the future. Mitchell has been fantastic for me in previous saves and Rashford has the potential too.

I have played my first game in the Premier League:

C9VJIGT.png

Palace had a man sent off after 28 minutes and didn't make it difficult for me but I was pleased to see Clough get two goals and Osman a goal and an assist. With a 3-0 lead at the break and 11 against 10 I had the chance to bring on some of my local youngsters. Mitchell, Brownhill and Pearson were my subs which meant that I had eight players from Greater Manchester playing in my first game.

It won't be so easy in the future but it is a fine start.

If Clough turns out to be as good in my current career save then you have a very good player. I'd suspect he'll have a slight increase for FM16 as well.

He looks promising!

Nice start Sir Toby - will you be going after Rhodes as well?

Not for now. I am playing with one striker which often will be Clough and in important games van Persie, while Rashford also has to get some minutes. But I won't rule out a signing of Rhodes.

Clough could become class :) I've just finished the first half of the season though I can't imagine there will be an update for a while as I am away over the weekend.

Edit, in fact it is likely to be a season update because I will be doing some playing while travelling. Fingers crossed its a good one!

CE.Europa.logo.jpg

Halfway Point - 2016/17

League Fixtures - League Table - Transfers - Squad

A harsh reality of the step up to the Segunda B, we're 8 points clear of the relegation playoff so we appear to be safe and doing better than the media's expectation of us being predicted to finish in 17th come the end of the season. We made less transfers than I was wanting but we'd given new contracts to the squad and that left enough for 7 players to come in, although, as you can see by the squad that there are few stand-out players and the rest are 'sub-par' in comparison.

Manchester United

14/15

End of season update

LEAGUE TABLE - TRANSFERS - COUNTY PLAYERS

We started well with seven wins in our first nine games but it was up and down from there. I was disappointed with our final games where we lost against Hull and Burnley. We did only win two of our last seven games and we were title contenders for most of the season. My goal was to end in top four without getting the sack so I am satisfied. As long as I don't get sacked I am satisfied. At least while my young players mature.

No succes in the cups.

Zach Clough did excellent and was my topscorer with 17 goals. Josh Harrop impressed in the first half of the season. His highlight was a goal against Arsenal. Tyler Blackett did a decent job in defence when given the chance. Overall I was satisfied with the amount of game time I could give my young players.

And, as you can see, Danny Welbeck is back!

I had a great youth intake. I got a player who is one of the best of his generation... but he is from Liverpool.

I got Phil Wood who has fantastic potential. I do not have the highest hopes of Brennan and Kelly. We will see how they turn out.

Solid half season Makoto, it may take some time to get out of that league.

SirToby - A decent start to the challenge, CL football whilst trying to play the Manchester lads is an achievement.

I have a season to update soon :)

Part of me is tempted to re-try this challenge with Cambridge so that a) I am managing a side I am passionate about b) I can start with only county players rather than just East Anglian and c) the change of fortunes due to the crash dump is niggling at me.

CE.Europa.logo.jpg

End of Season - 2016/17

Youth Candidates - Andres (YP3a) - Joan (YP3j) - Jordi Belmonte (YP3d)

Another decent intake with another good goalkeeper, we now have good junior coaching so the youth is still just going to get better!

Squad - Roger Escoruela - Sergi Gomez - Guillem Cornella - Best XI

Next season will be a season of change as I try to slim the squad down as we have close to 50 players in the under 19's I'm guessing all of which on £55 a week and we're currently spending £12,272 per week so hopefully we can get that down and then bring in some better quality players.

League Fixtures - League Table - League Player Stats

We didn't end up doing too badly! Towards the end of March I decided to ditch the strikerless formation and well...go with one with a striker! I shall further experiment into the new season as like I said previously I'll be looking to get a greater quality of player in.

Part of me is tempted to re-try this challenge with Cambridge so that a) I am managing a side I am passionate about b) I can start with only county players rather than just East Anglian and c) the change of fortunes due to the crash dump is niggling at me.

Go for it!

Manchester United

15/16

End of season update

PREMIER LEAGUE - FA CUP - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

So close to a treble. I won the FA Cup, lost the Champions League final and ended second in the Premier League missing the title on goal difference.

If I just had not lost 3-2 to Stoke in the 35th round after leading 2-0 or just won at home against Crystal Palace in the 36th round the title would have been mine.

Josh Harrop was 20 minutes away from being match winner in the Champions League. We could not hold on to our 1-0 lead and Bayern scored three goals in the last 20 minutes.

But overall I am very satisfied with our performances. Playing for a treble was fantastic.

Tom Ince won't become a big player for me but he is okay as a backup as left midfielder where Welbeck (and sometimes Mitchell) plays.

Michael Keane is a very good defender så he was a obvious signing. Especially after Evans and Smalling left.

Of course, I looked through Man City's new young players and I found three from my county who was good enough to be signed. Reece Hill is the one with the biggest potential. I don't have any high expectations of the other two. It does not look like Ryan Nyambe has got what it takes unfortunately.

10 players had at least 15 appearances which is satisfying. Zach Clough has developed into a fantastic forward. An absolute key player for me. 38 goals from him is stunning. Josh Harrop did great with 15 assists. Jagielka, Welbeck and Trippier are first teamers and they are doing very fine. Josh Brownhill has developed into a wonderkid. I was gutted when he broke his leg. Hopefully he will come back fine.

I am beginning to lose hope in Ben Pearson which mean I begin to need central midfielders from my county. Brownhill is the only one right now I can be sure of.

Fine intake. Kevin Murray is the biggest talent, given 4 stars in potential.

I've been musing recently about having a Truro save in FM16. They're back in the Conference South after a couple of years' absence and I love the idea of bringing success to the footballing backwater that is Cornwall. I believe no team from the county has ever reached the Football League.

Additionally, there's a strong nationalist/independence movement in the region. This makes me wonder if Truro/Cornwall would be a brilliant candidate for this challenge, albeit a bloody hard one.

What does everyone think?

I've just taken a look in the Editor at the standard FM2015 database. I think Truro may be a bit of a challenge. There aren't that many players. It would end up a youth challenge I think. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, I suppose.

Archived