Pressing and team shape

Hi all,

Now that my daughter is 1 years old and I now have more than 3 seconds to think, in going to use the opportunity to get back into FM!

I would like to play a fast, pressing game (as do we all) but I've just a question...that's sort of always bothered me.

It could be that I'm interpreting the information wrong but is Fluid/Very Fluid essential for pressing?

It always bothered me that, if I wanted to get the best out of my team in terms of pressing, I had to give them the creative freedom to do whatever they wanted with the ball if they won it back.

Is Flexible just as able to produce good pressing, assuming you have the players to do it of course?

Thanks all

Ally

Any team shape can be used for pressing. What matters is the shape you use and the roles/duties you give the players. Those are the important factors. Make sure it's a shape that is suited to being a fast, pressing style of play as some are more suited to it than others.

Very fluid is the most vertically compact team shape. The more compact your team is the harder it is for an opponent to play past someone who closes down because there's less space to play into. The same applies to width, playing narrower will make closing down more effective.

Any team shape can be used for pressing. What matters is the shape you use and the roles/duties you give the players. Those are the important factors. Make sure it's a shape that is suited to being a fast, pressing style of play as some are more suited to it than others.

So Cleon would you say a 4411 is a better shape for pressing than a 4231 wide and 4231 Deep. I am always a bit confused on role and duties for pressing. I am guessing can you offer any guidance with this.

4-4-1-1 does not refer to team shape in FM-speak. That's a formation. Team shape is wherever you are on the Fluid-Flexible-Structured continuum. It refers to how closely your team keeps its shape rather than to what that shape actually is.

4-4-1-1 does not refer to team shape in FM-speak. That's a formation. Team shape is wherever you are on the Fluid-Flexible-Structured continuum. It refers to how closely your team keeps its shape rather than to what that shape actually is.

He knows, that's not what he asked, read the question again :)

So Cleon would you say a 4411 is a better shape for pressing than a 4231 wide and 4231 Deep. I am always a bit confused on role and duties for pressing. I am guessing can you offer any guidance with this.

4411 and 4231 are great shapes for a heavy pressing system. 4231 isn't though due to the gap between DMC's and AMC/L/R

4411 and 4231 are great shapes for a heavy pressing system. 4231 isn't though due to the gap between DMC's and AMC/L/R

Thanks Cleon. As you probably know from my post recently. I am big fan of German football and the way teams like Bayern and Dortmund press their opposition. Maybe Dirtmund under Tuchel does not press as much as Dortmund under Klopp but they still press when it is needed. I have read so many post about pressing. Some FMers say that you should press as a team by using Close Down Much More in Team Instructions and others say that you should only press by giving certain players PI to close down more.

So if I am playing a 4411 then I should press with the striker and AMC and the wide midfielders or wingers should do pressing.

The rest of the team should not be given any PI to press more. What are your thoughts on this.

I have been following Der FM recently he has got a YouTube video on pressing but he seems to use a lot of team instructions which confuse me quite a bit. I am not sure about is use of pressing through Team Instructions. Could you shed some light on this please

playing a 4411 then you should press with the striker and AMC and then also press with the wide midfielders or wingers should do pressing and the ray of team should not be given any PI to press more.

That's certainly the way I'm going to try it.

4411 because apparently it's better defensively and pressing with the front four

Two holding cms....with mayb a touch higher pressing. I know they're job is to screen but they need to get thenselves about a bit as well

I understood the question perfectly. My post was what is commonly known as a "side comment". In my experience, they are quite common in forums such as this one.

I would just like to ask what role/duty would be better for wide midfielders in a heavy pressing system using the 4411. I am not quite sure if I dhoikd use either WM S or WM A on the wings. The full backs will be WB S and to ensure we remain solid I will be using a CM D and DLP D in central midfield.

can you show us a heat map ?

Sorry I do not know how to do all those heat maps or load up screen shots. I can answer your questions to best of ability. Please remember I am know expert at this game. If you check my forum history you will see how much time a come on the forum asking for help and advice on how to play the game

I have read so many post about pressing. Some FMers say that you should press as a team by using Close Down Much More in Team Instructions and others say that you should only press by giving certain players PI to close down more.

in my opinion this depends from the D-Line ,

1)higher D-Line + closing down much more + offside trap

2)normal D-Line + sometimes cl.down + some players cl.down more

of course there are risks in both situations

Well I use Close Down More + higher D-Line. I also make sure that my striker, AMC, wide midfielders and CMs have their close down set to maximum. My striker, wide midfielders and AMC are set to mark tightly

Archived