Group C - Germany vs Ukraine - NOW!

Haha, basically the opposite to England then...we should've combined for a proper team to be formed :D

Well, there's Schmelzer watching at home and there's Gomez on the bench. He scored 26 in 33 for Besiktas this season and played well in friendlies.

But there have to be spots for both Gotze and Ozil.

Thoroughly professional performance from Germany. Ukraine weren't bad but the Germans were in control.

Northern Ireland needed something out of their match with Poland, I can't see them making the knockouts with these two sides to play.

I think Atkinson thinks it was just an easy block.

It was a legal block. Neuer didn't aggressively cut across to check the run & it's not an offence to hold your line or stand your ground. The Ukrainian lad went down as soon as they got close to each other which might have drawn a foul in the past but the IFAB seem to have given the officials guidance to not be so soft with the penalty awards.

Well, a textbook example if you wanna show someone the difference between England and Germany.

Fine margins.

Both 1-0 up defending a corner in injury time, England concede while Germany counter and score a second.

Overall the performances were fairly similar but what happened in the last minute massively change the perception.

Fine margins.

Both 1-0 up defending a corner in injury time, England concede while Germany counter and score a second.

Overall the performances were fairly similar but what happened in the last minute massively change the perception.

You can look at it like that, take the last corner into consideration and that's it.

I see it as football history of both countries explained in 1 minute.

The face Low made when he scratched this ass, rofl.

Football is a results game & England didn't get the result which as I said in the England thread & cougar has said here is a massive influence on perception, be that fans or more importantly future opponents.

England were also up against a an opponent who were less inclined or capable of posing much of an attacking threat which is another factor in Germany's favour & although the both England & Germany will on paper have had similar performance Germany just looked more assured when comparing the two second half performances.

It was a legal block. Neuer didn't aggressively cut across to check the run & it's not an offence to hold your line or stand your ground. The Ukrainian lad went down as soon as they got close to each other which might have drawn a foul in the past but the IFAB seem to have given the officials guidance to not be so soft with the penalty awards.

It was one of those where the context matters. Technically it ticks all the boxes but there isn't a referee in the world that will give a penalty for it when the attacker has no chance of getting to the ball. Like it or not but the bar is slightly higher in the penalty area.

You can look at it like that, take the last corner into consideration and that's it.

I see it as football history of both countries explained in 1 minute.

I would probably agree with that tbh.

Germany more often or not find themselves on the positive side of the margin while England seem to mostly just come up short.

IMHO the best game of the tournament so far. Germany looked very good but so did Ukraine. Unlucky for them not to score. Germany's defence is gonna need some work though.

Germany and Croatia best teams (and best games) up to this point. (Yeah I know still very early :D )

It was one of those where the context matters. Technically it ticks all the boxes but there isn't a referee in the world that will give a penalty for it when the attacker has no chance of getting to the ball. Like it or not but the bar is slightly higher in the penalty area.
I don't see it as a foul outside the area either.

Archived