Request - Position Player Anywhere

fmfan74

9 minutes ago, fmfan74 said:

I would like to be able to position my players anywhere on the pitch.   I don't know why the game doesn't allow it, does it have something to do with the cpu not reading your tactics well enough.

Why do you want/need to do that? What's lacking in the current system that you do need it?

20 minutes ago, fmfan74 said:

I would like to be able to position my players anywhere on the pitch.   I don't know why the game doesn't allow it, does it have something to do with the cpu not reading your tactics well enough.

You can already do this.

Players don't stand in a fixed position, they move around constantly.  The position you choose for a player in FM is the area of the field you want him to work in, particularly in defence.  The exact position he is at any given time in a match depends on this area along with many other factors such as role, duty, instructions, attributes, opposition players etc etc.

The only restriction I can find is that you for instance only can place three players up front, three AMC's, three MC's, three DMC's, three DC's, or only one AML/AMR/MR/ML/WBL/WBR/DL/DR/SW. Other than that, you can place them pretty much anywhere you want.

I remember in an old fm version you were able to do this.    What i mean is if i wanted to place a player where the corner flag is exactly he would be there or that zone.   And no the game doesn't allow you to do this as detailed enough.    I can't remember the year of that version but that was the beauty of it.  for e.g. If i want a winger to play at the top left corner side of the wing close to the corner flag  and then pump in crosses.  

Ok i know you can still do this to a point but on the tactics screen it won't allow you to move the player in the top left.  Even though drop down options allow it by moving him forward it doesn't visually show exactly what his going to do instead you need to read a bunch of text .  And i want him to play up the top left corner for a reason in terms of attacking and i don't care how much space he leaves behind.

OK the truth is i'm also having trouble with drop down texts.  I"m more of a visual person with arrows.  At this stage you move a player around a contained spot on the field, then you select drop down boxes guessing what's going to happen and how it will add to your teams tactic.  Having the flexibility to move them around by ignoring the left over space is not possible from what i see in some way.  You can't have 2 central strikers and 2 wingers aligned all on the same line is what i'm saying.  I know you can do this by using drop down boxes in a way but why not physically move them there.

4 hours ago, fmfan74 said:

I remember in an old fm version you were able to do this.    What i mean is if i wanted to place a player where the corner flag is exactly he would be there or that zone.   And no the game doesn't allow you to do this as detailed enough.    I can't remember the year of that version but that was the beauty of it.  for e.g. If i want a winger to play at the top left corner side of the wing close to the corner flag  and then pump in crosses.  

Ok i know you can still do this to a point but on the tactics screen it won't allow you to move the player in the top left.  Even though drop down options allow it by moving him forward it doesn't visually show exactly what his going to do instead you need to read a bunch of text .  And i want him to play up the top left corner for a reason in terms of attacking and i don't care how much space he leaves behind.

OK the truth is i'm also having trouble with drop down texts.  I"m more of a visual person with arrows.  At this stage you move a player around a contained spot on the field, then you select drop down boxes guessing what's going to happen and how it will add to your teams tactic.  Having the flexibility to move them around by ignoring the left over space is not possible from what i see in some way.  You can't have 2 central strikers and 2 wingers aligned all on the same line is what i'm saying.  I know you can do this by using drop down boxes in a way but why not physically move them there.

Can't remember any FM (or CM) versions where you could freely place your players anywhere. And like it's been pointed out, even if you place you player at LW, you can get him to move further up the field by using instructions. Also, even if you put a player "at the corner flag", he wouldn't just stay there IRL, would he, he'd still move around, right?

For the visualization, I agree to a point, but you can still see the difference in how he's positioned on the tactics board, if you give him attacking instructions, you'll see that his "base position" is higher than with standard or defensive instructions.

1 minute ago, Maaka said:

Can't remember any FM (or CM) versions where you could freely place your players anywhere.

You could in the old CMs, before the split. It was called the wibble-wobble. It was very open to exploits though, because people did weird things with it. If it ever does return, it'll have to be heavily restricted.

thanks for the reply to all.  Yes the drop down instructions are not showing me visually on the tactics pitch.  All it's doing is kinda blind folding your eyes from a visual point of view.   They should show whatever option you select be it position or drop down option choice, should also visually show something on the tactics pitch.  I hate not seeing what my player will visually do and it's more of a guessing game on how something will work either be it towards your licking or not.

For a guy like me who hates text, visual maps would help a lot.  Text is ok to a meaning point of view.  If i tell someone i can run roughly a km the other person will ask me exactly what is roughly.  Visual maps will can help in a way to show you what effects each option has on the tactics maps visually.  From there if you don't like it you can change it.  With the text it's exactly my point of "roughly".  Hope this makes sense.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

You could in the old CMs, before the split. It was called the wibble-wobble. It was very open to exploits though, because people did weird things with it. If it ever does return, it'll have to be heavily restricted.

Don't think he is talking about wibble/wobble tbh.

I'm presuming he is talking about freedom to place a player at any spot on the pitch (Something which Fifa had/has), I don't remember CM/FM ever having that ability as it was never needed.

2 hours ago, fmfan74 said:

thanks for the reply to all.  Yes the drop down instructions are not showing me visually on the tactics pitch.  All it's doing is kinda blind folding your eyes from a visual point of view.   They should show whatever option you select be it position or drop down option choice, should also visually show something on the tactics pitch.  I hate not seeing what my player will visually do and it's more of a guessing game on how something will work either be it towards your licking or not.

For a guy like me who hates text, visual maps would help a lot.  Text is ok to a meaning point of view.  If i tell someone i can run roughly a km the other person will ask me exactly what is roughly.  Visual maps will can help in a way to show you what effects each option has on the tactics maps visually.  From there if you don't like it you can change it.  With the text it's exactly my point of "roughly".  Hope this makes sense.

Whilst more visual aids have been discussed in various threads I don't think its difficult to understand what will happen by just looking at the roles/tactics.  Attacking ones will generally go forwards earlier, supporting ones will drift around where they are & defensive ones will sit back.

You should also be watching the matches to get an idea of how the players move while attacking & in defence.

Finally in terms of visual aids I think it would be quite difficult due to the fluid nature of the players movement.  As an example I'm currently using a 41221 with an attacking DL, at many points in the match he can be the furthest player forward but not all the time, how would you go about representing that in one picture.

If you want a visual representation of what a player does on the pitch, have you looked at the player Heat Maps after a match?  And/or, as you are taking about wingers putting in crosses from the corner flag, looked at the ProZone reports linked to crossing?  You can select these reports for individual players.  Just as a test, try putting a Winger (attack) into the AML or AMR position and then check these ProZone reports after the match.

I appreciate that doesn't help you when putting a player onto the tactical formation, but as a visual aid to check on their actual in-game behaviour and movement, would that help?

ok coolies.  I'll give it a test and see.  I guess i'll need to test my tactics more and use the heat maps to on an individual basis to see their behaviour.  

I'll check some historical data as well.  

Once again many thanks for the positive feedbacks.

I think it was the first CM post split that allowed you to place players anywhere (so 05?), I remember a friend having it and it being a pain in the A. You could also do it on the PSP for what it's worth

The other thing to look at, alongside the heat map is the average positions, I've found this really helpful when trying to fine tune tactics

• 3 months later...

Archived