Mac OS Optimization

FurkanMumcu

After playing FM series since day 1 here goes my first post on forum,

I have played each and every Football Manager game on different laptops/computers every year. Because of my job, I need to carry two different laptops and use PC at my home and office. I won't bore you with details and jump to my request.

We need some optimization on Mac OS systems. I'm using the latest Macbook Pro and its actually a capable device to run the game smooth. However, I get the slowest performance even though I tune down everything for better gaming experience. Watching games 3D is almost impossible which is understandable since my laptop doesn't have a graphics card (Most Macbook Pro users don't have as far as I know) but even watching games 2D is slow and stressful. Even the loading time when I hit continue is way longer than my Windows Laptop (it is not as near as powerful in terms of hardware) which led me to believe there is something wrong with software adaptation.

I'm not an computer expert, can't tell whats exactly wrong but you can also find mac users complain on same issue if you google for a short amount of time. 

If there is something I don't know of and should do to fix the problem, please let me know.

If not, please, I want a smooth FM 2017 experience with my mac. 

That seems strange, I made the move from PC to Mac this year, and have a 2015 Macbook Pro, and have absolutely no issues whatsoever, I'm running multiple leagues no problem and the 3D is fine (sometimes the fans get loud - on the Mac, not in the stand - but that can be resolved by turning Retina display off)

EDIT: You will have a graphics card, from memory mine in an Intel Iris 6100

Yeah mine is Intel iris 6100, I don't really think its meant for gaming like nvidia series...

my retina display is turned off, 3d is turned off etc.. everything i can tune down is minimized for performance. Still i get poor performance.

My computer is clean and running smooth, Its just Football Manager that runs slow.. If you're having no troubles, could you print screen your settings so i can try the same options to see if it works out?

You should try two things which could speed up the game on your macbook:

Change  in the pref. from cpu rendering to software rendering

It can also makes a difference if you run steam in offline mode instead of online mode.

8 hours ago, KUBI said:

You should try two things which could speed up the game on your macbook:

Change  in the pref. from cpu rendering to software rendering

It can also makes a difference if you run steam in offline mode instead of online mode.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but where/how can you switch Steam to offline mode?

10 hours ago, FurkanMumcu said:

Tried the offline mode but didn't work :(  and yea its software rendering. anyways i think i won't be able to find any solutions for this. Thanks everyone for trying to help ! Hope FM 2017 will work better!

Reveal hidden contents

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro so it's a few years old...albeit I recently did a fresh OS install so it's running very well overall. I don't run Fm in 3D anymore and I do find performance struggles. Even on the lowest graphics settings it's not a smooth 3D experience and I have FPS issues, so I went back to 2D. 

There are a couple of different aspects to this, which I'll try to cover briefly.

We have always treated the Mac with respect, in fact a lot of the developers at the studio have always used a Mac when creating FM. At certain points in time, it was better optimised for the Mac in some respects than even a PC. That's also partly because the Mac line is usually "locked" hardware; i.e. there are not that many variances between models in the same way that there are literally hundreds and thousands of different PC configurations.

But a lot of Macbooks are not really designed for games, depending on what you choose . They also run on OpenGL (Windows uses DirectX) and for a number of different reasons, we actually support very old versions of these on both Windows and Mac platforms. So our compatibility with very old laptops stretches much further than most other studios would be prepared to do, but is also one of the reasons why performance may not be ideal on some older hardware. It's a difficult balance to get right in terms of cutting uses off to the point they can't play anymore.

In Software Rendering mode, you are forcing FM to push everything through the CPU, therefore it's your CPU performance that's key. In GPU Assisted / Rendering mode, you are sharing between CPU and GPU. Of course, if the Mac you have doesn't have a great GPU then it may not perform well, but similarly you may have the same or worse experience if you use just the CPU and there are a multitude of other factors that contribute on top, including how many other programs and apps you run at the same time versus how much available memory you have, to how fast your hardrive is (as that will impact on read/write performance to disk).

You said you have the latest Macbook Pro – but what actual model is it. If you go to the Apple icon in the Menubar and "About This Mac", that should provide a summary.

E.g. you should see something like this:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.6

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 16000 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096MB

Also as a side point and on a semi-related note, there have not really been significant upgrades to the Macbook Pro line for a number of years now. The only one that's really got a dedicated GPU is the largest Macbook Pro where you have to use a custom build and specifically include it. Otherwise you'll end up with an integrated Intel GPU of some sorts, and while Intel have made some good strides in this area in recent years, a lot of their earlier models are pretty underpowered overall when it comes to any games.

Neil, thank you so much for your answer! 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2015)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Its basically the 13 inch base MacBook Pro.

I totally agree on Mac being behind of hardware and I was also assuming that optimizing for mac would be easier in a way since most macs share limited number of hardware variations. 

About GPU/CPU, I actually thought running on CPU would run the game better (also game advices that if I'm not mistaken) but what you say perfectly makes sense and I will give it a shot. Will update this post as soon as I try.

Believe it or not, I have taken my laptop to an official Apple store twice about FM running slow and luckily they took it really serious (Person who took care of laptop was a huge FM fan as well!) and did a few performance tests and run FM (was on lowest graphics and CPU mode) and they couldn't figure it out.

What I can ask for at this point would be; How should I set my preferences tab to make game run smoother considering my hardware written above?

(Game recommends most of settings on High which isn't really working well)

11 hours ago, FurkanMumcu said:

Neil! It worked! Can't say it the best FPS but surely it improved and I can watch games even in 3d now. Thanks for your help m8! Thanks a lot !

Hi, what exactly worked for you? 

• 2 months later...

Archived