[FM17] Blyth Spartans - Youth Academy / dafuge - Double challenge

MadCatPT

Plan for the 5 starters leaving is to retrain two of the least used DLFs to be able to play MC, train people who can play M R or M L to at least be accomplished.

Then release old warhorse Matty Pattinson if he doesn't get resigned cheaply , he just got a season ending injury, so with his season at the start of the season I barely got some games from him and he is stating to lose physical stats.

Hope for the best youth candidates influx ever, and that it brings a GK, D C, M L as the best players.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contract Renewal Watch:

Ross Dalton, no change.

Emmanuel Kanteh, no change.

Reuben Dass, being in the doghouse worked, renewed. :cool:

Sean Whelan, got a broken foot, which seemed to broke his stupid requests, renewed. :)

Matty Pattinson, got injured, still wants lots of money.

Big News:

Adam McHugh does not want to resign due to unhappiness, on course to have just one 1* goalkeeper for next season plus the youth candidates. Not helping is the fact I'm actually fighting for the playoffs and don't want to squander it just to make a goalkeeper happy. I'm getting the usual injuries, so if I'm away from the fight I'll give him some games to try and resign him, If not, let's hope for a super to decent goalkeeper in the youth candidates.

17 minutes ago, MadCatPT said:

Still at the club as long as he wants to stay, tutoring mostly as there are better options on the flank and age has taken its toll.

Glad he still there he's a living legend. Put him in goal yet to save pens ??

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/sport/football/blyth-spartans-skipper-scores-then-saves-last-minute-penalty-1-8094737

4 minutes ago, cel1234 said:

Glad he still there he's a living legend. Put him in goal yet to save pens ??

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/sport/football/blyth-spartans-skipper-scores-then-saves-last-minute-penalty-1-8094737

Definitely legendary!

Thanks for the link.

I like to keep legends at the club as long as its possible.

13 minutes ago, MadCatPT said:

Definitely legendary!

Thanks for the link.

I like to keep legends at the club as long as its possible.

Have to don't ya here's another link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/11322937/Meet-Robbie-Dale-possibly-the-best-player-never-to-have-turned-professional.html

1 hour ago, MadCatPT said:

Big News:

Adam McHugh does not want to resign due to unhappiness, on course to have just one 1* goalkeeper for next season plus the youth candidates. Not helping is the fact I'm actually fighting for the playoffs and don't want to squander it just to make a goalkeeper happy. I'm getting the usual injuries, so if I'm away from the fight I'll give him some games to try and resign him, If not, let's hope for a super to decent goalkeeper in the youth candidates.

After I say I'm fighting for the playoffs my form drops... :mad:

I blame the clearly excessive New Year celebrations, not my more aggressive than normal managing. :rolleyes: I also blame the update, the ME, Trump and Hillary. :lol:

Easier to blame other stuff than recognise that we deviated from our overall strategy this year. :seagull:

Youth Candidates are approaching, with my assistant manager always offering goalkeepers to sign maybe I'll get a new goalkeeper.

I will remove everyone from U18 and U23, cross my fingers, cross my feet fingers and press click.

Wish me luck, I need it.

No goalkeeper, more midfielders, if nothing changes will be forced to play the worst goalkeeper of the league.

I signed everyone to try and see the difference after two years of the potential.

@BoxToBox More good midfielders.

sztsILucUHco-Ri9vpW9R23dkGc2tH7XBwroX5ZM

Jack Gill 20a, put him on the bench, subbed him in and already injured for 2 months, already fits in with the other 3 midfielders in the physio.

oKE8oDsDwVg-51qt2Gx7cm6oFw3uL08nit-dGLTI

Dimitris Katsikeas, already on the bench due to Jack Gill 20a injury:

S3GmpWUtTfO3xpvv2533CHFoHoqSU6EaC5JcA--a

My slow to move central defender:

Xu-zwPUajXxrt4cWteTjyDLhGIDRzlZbjbJQJzPC

Three games to go, 9 points in dispute, 8 points separate the 5th from from the 16th.

I'm in 9th, 1 point behind.

Playing the 12th home, 10th away and 21st away.

Let's see if I can go for the first time to the playoffs. 

Jarret Rivers, Club Legend

He has been our most important player, in his CM A role he his the big difference maker for our team, he is injury prone and normally misses huge chunks of the season and the team performance reflects it.

y8Vt9SUSctxV5SGzVMuCoLSVls83eJ0RrQAsrMb9

This season when he returned from one of his many injuries he was on fire, overtaking Luke Armstrong as our top goalscorer, and we were fighting for the top places, then he got injured for the rest of the year and we came tumbling down. We couldn't score, and even having the best defence again with just 30 goals against, meant we failed the promotion spots by 3 points! :mad:

Even just playing 28 games, he deservedly won Player of the Season, mainly having the most PoM and average rating of the choices:

WrIgF18DdFS0kMniUBSRqbk20hAJTVEcVnHfDRES 

Also Fans Player of the Season:

NGDhzkDl147FjwdUwgkJb5kcIWHMQXhHN4-8BB92

He used to be 5/5* but injuries seem to take it's toll, he's 2.5/2.5*, but he seems to recover a bit after the injury getting to 3/3* or 3.5/3.5*, he is a club legend on his on right, and our main driving force, we are a different team with him on the field, which we will continue to do as long as he wants and his body is able.

Retirements:

Robert Dale is going to retire at the end of next season, he is on a non-contract, mainly tutoring the future of the club giving them the determination to fight for the club:

HK-xqoRioXs6fw3vB-kUCkenw_LdLkHJnslzJVXt

Stephen Turnbull retired from professional football, he is now on a non-contract but is not expected to contribute this season apart from tutoring so probably he will retire soon also:

fG6aZ_VpJ9Oq5eAXFEzswClC1n_4K3I1xZCJ6Adb

Our chairman is retiring:

2Jzwfi_j_6QvFxyFbRMQqWVcf0SFvO3jHoiZ6L2l

Takeover:

So with the chairman retiring a takeover would be needed, would I get investment in the training youth facilities? Increase in youth level, junior coaching recruitment network? Money?

Mz7_PbY2C_uztJpnkV87JqklWo0B3MH_HRzUbLJA

Of course not, there was a consolidation of the debt into a loan which saw us out of the red since I took over the club, tried to ask for thing only got the go ahead for my first coaching badge. My coaches also got couching badges paid.

QQNI6IpnH39spRMdqrLG43gTWrrB3I6K2DyoqAV5

Blyth Spartans - 2019/2020 - Vanarama National League North

BlythSpartans.png

League Table | Finances | Transfers | End of Season Awards | Season Review | Youth Candidates | Injuries

Preseason:

I think I have a setup I'm liking, still needs some tweaks, but I train Balanced on Very High, get 3 team with a more higher reputation, 2 of the same and 3 local at the end to get morale back up if needed.

Season:

It was a strange season, started slow, but also slowly but surely I climbed the table on the back of a great defence, but always failed on the games that could get us to the playoff spots. Then I was able to start winning those games and was among the big boys, getting to 2 points from the league leaders!

Then Jarret Rivers who was having a great season (won PoY) got injured again and we slowly started dropping points until we dropped out of the playoff spots never to return, finishing just 3 points from the last playoff spot. We are getting closer, 11, 6 and now just 3 points to reach the playoffs at least. We had the best defence(again) with just 30 goals against!

Some collapses against teams on the relegation places costed us, also our inability to score goals on some games, I consolidated our tactics, seeing that the AI seems to be able to get good squads, since in terms of average each year I'm getting down, and each year I get more stats where I'm the worse in the league. Luckily the only one where I'm the best is determination, so the Spartan fighting spirit is getting us hard fought points, since we are almost always the underdog. Finally got a tactic that got me some wins when I'm the favourite and another to help and close games, having those 3 tactics all filled helped a lot.

Finances:

It was my worst season in the Cups with some early exits and not so much money entering, even if this year my board invested a lot of money in our running costs, so while in the red (at least until the takeover), we are not in the dire situation of having 400k in the red (now only aroung 100k).

Next year there will be another cut in the wage budget, so my fringe player will be put in non-contracts so I'll get under the wage budget. I may lose some of them but what can I do? I hope to be able to keep renewing with my best players so I can try and have a bit more luck and reach the playoffs.

I don't know how people do challenges like this, normal  FM is stressful enough :D 

Looks like injuries are really killing you, like they're starting to do with me, but I would be happy with where you're finishing considering the circumstances.

Hopefully injuries will be a bit kinder to you next season and promotion will be yours :hammer: 

22 hours ago, King Costly said:

I don't know how people do challenges like this, normal  FM is stressful enough :D 

Looks like injuries are really killing you, like they're starting to do with me, but I would be happy with where you're finishing considering the circumstances.

Hopefully injuries will be a bit kinder to you next season and promotion will be yours :hammer: 

Not having to deal with scouting is a big plus. :D

The time spend going over reports to finding someone you like, then more scouting to see if he is not a Model Sociopath, then trying to sign him against the whole northern hemisphere, to then panic signing a load of crap fearing you wouldn't get a team assembled. I'm just cutting through that and let the game give me crappy players that I can try to make into less crap/decent and sometimes good. There is also the times you get a diamond in the rough and then everyone tries to steal him from you. :mad:

Two of my best players are injury prone so it's like running a marathon in a mine field. :seagull:

My left back is getting to his 30's so is some one who is prone to be replaced in a couple of year, I already have a youth line up, not better, but he is consistent and Resolute so he'll fight (figuratively I hope) anyone trying to come down that side.

Players Review:

GK:

Ross Dalton, I get to see him make more defences in situation he didn't make then before, 41 games, 30 goals suffered, 21 clean sheets! Still has a star of potential to fulfil.

Leigh Bond-Wellard, had to play one game, kept a clean sheet.

FB S R:

Andrew Cartwright, played all 42 games, topped out at 3*.

FB S L:

Michael Liddle, our best left full back but reach 30, got injured a couple of times, will probably only have 2 more season from him. 3*.

Andy Bottomley 19c, 1.5* / 4*(1 black), got to play a quarter of the season.

CD D:

Nathan Buddle, topped at 4*, our best player by CA, once more played all 42 games and played well.

Emmanuel Kanteh, 2.5* of 4.5*, stagnated in his development, for the first time played all 42 games and with an average rating over 7.

W S R:

Daniel Emerton, had his best season ever, 4 goals, 14 assists, 7.18. 2.5*.

W S L:

Sean Whelan was injured most of the season, still played well, is young with some room to grow, but development also stagnated. 3*/4.5*.

Reuben Dass, 3*/5* our player with the highest PA but stopped developing, couldn't get more than 6.84 and one assist.

DLP D:

Ian Williams 19a, 2*/4.5*(1 black), is developing into the role, played slightly worse than last season, was also injured for part of the season.

CM S:

Michael Montgomery 18b, 3*/4.5* (1 black) is becoming a best in midfield, physically and mentally, had his best season ever, even earning 5 PoM.

CM A:

Jarret Rivers, what to say, 28 games, 13 goals, 2 assists, 8 PoM, 7.40, PoTY. His injury may have cost us a playoff spot, but he was in superb form when he was healthy, unfortunately he is injury prone and normally tops the injury lost time table. 2.5*.

Jack Gill 20a, 2*/5*(1 black), played some games, improved from last year.

DLF S:

Luke Armstrong played a little worse than last year but scored the same 15 goals. 3*/4.5*

Chris Roberts 18a, 2*/5*(1 black), played in some games, still no breakthrough performance.

Jarret Rivers instead of getting injured this year, just stopped scoring goals, so barring a miracle, no playoffs this year. :(

9 points away with 12 games remaining and been having a streaky at best form, struggling to score.

Youth candidates are almost here, can an unknown kid save the season?

Thinking very hard about it, and I think I may clean house next season, at least all non youth backups being let go.

Will see if I retain but the key players to lower as much as possible the wages.

It seems my best bet is being profitable so I can get the youth facilities upgrade and /or improved youth level, junior coaching and recruitment network.

Then as it is in real life, I'll try to make some decent cup runs. This year I was think it was possible, but after two wins lost to a non league rival in the FA Cup.

The FA Trophy was also a loss on the second game.

Youth candidates brought a 16 years old Advanced Forward with 15 finishing!

I think he may be the difference maker I was looking for, so being safe and a long way from the playoffs started trying to find a tactic, 0-0 first game, 2-1 second game, he scored the first for us! :D

Afterwards he played two miserable games for us, but we were able to scrape some wins. :rolleyes:

Then he scored the winning goal for us and gets injured and will not play more this season. :seagull:

Top of the table with 4 games to go 67-67-66-66-66.

I'm currently with 59 points but decisions will have to wait for tomorrow. Having a job and needing sleep delay. :rolleyes:

Here is the youth intake:

v5Q26cdaV_6sQMIu6kAp8cRa9iyI1YV8pQdLv6jO

Priestley Fletcher 21a:

7goxdXZpnM4YyKpFKDmwQjqen9bLeF96cfvnfBEZ

I'm trying to make him our difference maker, will try to make his superior finishing one of our greatest weapon.

Derek McDermott 21b:

Cn1f1HLVgFBx7p48mE2OditStiwbg_2PopcEhkFz

Don't quite know what to make with him.

1 hour ago, King Costly said:

Injuries are just not helping you out at all, are they? At least Fletcher looks interesting. Finishing of 15 at that level is unheard of!

It's part of the charm. :seagull:

Jarret Rivers, injury prone played a whole season, go figure. :eek:

Problem is he just did his usual great start to the league and then faded. :(

I'm building a 4-3-3 around Fletcher, it did work while I had healthy players. He scored 2 goals in 6 games, but most importantly we were racing up the table with 4w 2d.

Finances are improving, even if still dependent on some occasional fund injection I'm close to balancing the books, will finish the year in the black with profit, the same thing next couple of years and I'll finally get some improvement to the youth setup.

The sponsorship jumped to 80k a year, a 65k increase!

The team is stable, would love some better cover ate GK and CD, FB L will probably lose it's mainstay in the next 2-3 years, but have lots of CM and SC so if I can perform in the new 4-3-3 while Fletcher grows I hope to get some cup runs and will see if my form allows for me to dream about playoffs.

Blyth Spartans Youth Program

Like Sparta we select our young, while we don't leave the weak and infirm to die, we select from each Youth Candidates the players we see that can offer something to the club. (An exception was made this, we signed all to see possible changes in potential, so far it was not worth it, but we need to adapt and be on the lookout for ways to improve the Youth Program).

At the top are the players that offer such a potential that they must play as much as possible to improve and try to fulfil his potential.

From then on there are players that have the potential to be a backup(someone that can fill in for some games without being a liability or have huge drop in performance from the position/role), cover(when we don't have no one else to play the position/role), positive personality (they help to have a positive influence and if they stick around they can tutor).

The rest are let go.

For this piece of writing, let's just say mark A as the first lot and B the second lot. A is the kind of player must be given game time, his potential, skills or both represent an upgrade now or in the future. B is a player that has the potential to be a backup, plays a position/role that we need cover or offers some kind of positive addition to the squad personality and if he sticks long enough maybe do some tutoring.

A players if they are an upgrade will jump straight into the starting eleven, if not they go to the bench while playing in the U23, if none of the above is possible they play in both U18 and U23.

B players are made available for the U18 and then U23, sometimes both if they are on call in case of injury.

The main priorities is to form him as an athlete and a man, we do it a bit differently than in old Sparta, so normally we get him a tutor to show him how to be a proper professional or to be a determined player, sometimes we just want for the player to be a balanced individual. At the same time we try to correct any physical faults or if there aren't any improve in the most important physicals for his position/role.

They are kept in this until they reach their twenties, then the focus changes to correct any technical/mental traits that are needed.

The goal is upon reaching 23 a player is a Blyth Spartan player, highly determined, positive personality, decent athlete and ready to help bring up the newer generations.

State of the Blyth Spartans Nation

I have failed, never an easy conclusion to reach/accept. In the first two seasons my learning as a manager cost us a shot at the playoffs. Now I know enough to make a working tactic, to adapt during games and to increase my chances of holding out at the end of games.

I am able to comfortably be a mid table club with the current players, being one of the best defences, but one of the worst attacks, and always being near the playoffs but never there. The finances are improving, I may be two years out from getting my first improvement.

But fate has brought me a very good finisher and increased the number of SC in my best players by CA and/or PA, so I re-tried the 4-3-3 and it started working until I had 5 SC injuries. It seems I have some potential for this tactic, even if it leaves me open I get a lot of opportunities to score.

So after two learning seasons, two better seasons but still lacking. I still find myself doing some errors and learning new things.

This fifth season I made some decisions, I will retain Nicholson, he lowered considerably his wage demands, is versatile, and is determined (11). Emerton will be let go, he also lowered his wage demands but he will reach 30, is a limited player, had his worse season ever and lacks the determination (4) standards I set for the squad.

I will keep the fringe players on non-contracts for tutoring due to not having youths reaching the tutoring age even if they aren't going to play due to lack of skill and/or giving chances to the youths.

Will try to lower the crazy contracts given to our top players, I'm almost balanced in terms of finances, every little bit counts counts, I'll already save 30K from my first decisions, hopefully I'll get a good cup run and if the board makes some money injections it will be enough to end again on the black and making a profit.

Rivers is our top earner, he is our difference maker in the 4-5-1, in the 4-3-3 he is just another guy, if the 4-3-3 sticks I may have a difficult decision on my hands, he counts 48K in my wage expenditures.

Dalton, Buddle and Kenneth are earning their many so no change is needed, but if I can keep lowering their salaries a little it could mean around 1-5K saved.

Liddle is getting old and is one of our high earners, at the end of this year if he doesn't lower his wage demands he will have to be let go or moved to a non-contract. He is a very important tutor but 36K is another step closer to a needed youth improvement.

Dass, Whelan are also high earners that may find themselves without a position/role, Whelan will train as FB L as he has some training there and we will monitor his performances there, Dass will train as CM. They are not easily replaceable, I have lots of people that can play on the right side but few on the left. So they will be kept even if both cost me around 70k, so I can have tactical flexibility.

Also some of my first youths will start earning more and I will have to account for that.

I will play a base 4-3-3, having my 4-5-1 Counter and Contain in my arsenal. Some players will be trained so I can change between them.

More attention will be given to U23 and U18 game time, it has produced good results in terms of match fitness and youth improvement.

Discipline is also going to be kept as high as possible.

Archived