64 bits enables you to load more leagues or does it facilitate a bigger database?

I loaded all leagues and FM17 is using 1268 mb of RAM, the performance monitor never exceeds 4 gigs, is it normal or a bug?, how do I know if steam installed the 64 bit version?

i mean, shouldn't the game gone overboard and use like 7 gigs?

• Administrators

Steam will install 64-bit if you have a 64-bit OS. You can have as much RAM as you want but you'll need a 64-bit OS for 64-bit apps. 

FM isn't as demanding as you might think in my experience. For years I've noticed that its rarely spiked high on processing usage even during intense bouts of processing but I think this is because things tend to be done more sequentially than all at once. I might be wrong, but it certainly appears as though the game processes your active league/competition first, then moves through the next leagues/competitions depending on detail level etc. 

I'm probably way off in how it is working, but for years even with absurdly high volume databases and active leagues, processing match days never varied much in processor power usage, just the time of processing would lengthen.

So it seems, feels the game is capped to work with the entire range of computers even if it could do better with your setup, I would like a setting about that to force the game go faster (high, med, low, whatever).

Reminds me of CMSpeeder, god we are old. xD

It might be more noticeable as you get into later seasons (and histories become longer).  But I really never understood the clamor for 64 bits.  Honestly I think most of the people complaining about 32-bit Football Manager didn't really know what they were talking about :).  

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Surely it's not that 64 bit isn't the magic bullet that everyone said it would be?  That can't be possible, right?

well for me it is

I load the same nations and leagues up every season and the same large database with all Brazilian and Argentinian players selected roughly 85,000 players

last fm 32 bit was far slower than it is right now for me on the same computer,

quad core i7 3.5 ghz processor 12gb ddr3 ram

9 minutes ago, englandmanager said:

well for me it is

I load the same nations and leagues up every season and the same large database with all Brazilian and Argentinian players selected roughly 85,000 players

last fm 32 bit was far slower than it is right now for me on the same computer,

quad core i7 3.5 ghz processor 12gb ddr3 ram

It makes a difference, it was always going to.  But quel surprise, it hasn't really lived up to the insane hype that some gave it, as evidenced here.  Gutted.

It all depends on how optimized (code wise) FM is for the 64bit operating systems. Some games (and programs) on the market are well optimized to utilize all available cores (including multi-threading) and RAM available which is what 64bit targets - RAM. Console games for example are extremely well optimized for their limited hardware which is why you can see them playing very smooth compared to the same game on a PC with similar (or even better) hardware specs.

The hundreds of PC configurations (hardware) that are available cannot be all accounted for when it comes to optimizing.  Couple that with the fact that the operating system (software) alone varies from user to user and now you've got a lot of configurations to cover.  Just a few years ago most games on the market wouldn't utilize more than 4 GB of RAM. That is changing however as more games released are starting to fully utilize up to and some even more (although not many at this point) than 8GB of RAM however with regards to FM, this doesn't seem to be the case judging by the screen shot posted above.  Small piece of advice is to have everything closed while running FM to see if the RAM usage will increase. Reason I say that is because the operating system will reserve some RAM for itself for it's own needs. However with the 8GB available, it should still be more than the 4GB reported. Either way, it seems FM 17 isn't going to utilize more than 4GB. I wish someone from SI would confirm this or at least let us know what the max amount of RAM FM 17 can utilize is. Technically, using over 4GB is considered 64 bit but really it won't make a drastic difference compared to previous versions where if only 3GB (as an example) of RAM were utilized, at least not from my experience. If FM was able to utilize let's say up to 6/8GB of RAM then it would be a day and night difference.

As for the 3D performance that is dependent on the graphics component of your computer configuration. That is a whole other discussion by itself. You need a more capable graphics component to run the 3D smoothly. 

I've seen it use 6gig of ram I'll post a screen tomorrow,  I am however using nearly all leagues with 130,000 players although  only my current division and a few cups are on full detail

I have a 64 bit windows 10 with 8gb ram, and during gameplay my pc uses around 3.1gb with no other background programs running, I run FMT and have around 10/11 nations with around 25/30 ish leagues. RAM usage seems low to me, I wonder if FMT uses less ram than FM? 

1 hour ago, Weller1980 said:

I have a 64 bit windows 10 with 8gb ram, and during gameplay my pc uses around 3.1gb with no other background programs running, I run FMT and have around 10/11 nations with around 25/30 ish leagues. RAM usage seems low to me, I wonder if FMT uses less ram than FM? 

Yeah I think touch uses a lot less in order to keep it quick to play it's a lot less system demanding

Running full FM, with all leagues and 300k players loaded, on a 64-bit Windows 10 with 16Gb RAM.
Memory usage never exceeds 2.9Gb here. Total memory usage at those times would be around 47%.

-Edit-
Logopacks are being used as well.
Default details.

I don't go digging into the technical aspect of it all, how much RAM I'm using etc. But from my experience and how I play the game, ive gone from probably 8-9 hours a season on FM16 down to around 5/6 for FM17. The simming of the AI games is insane, deadline day flies... going game to game for me is a click of the fingers.

On top of that the UI is responsive at all times, no slowdown ive noticed. Now granted ive gone 2 seasons in at most, so it could clog up as the save builds, but as it stands, no complaints here.

I do play VF commentary only and delegate a lot of fluff, but I did that on FM16 so the comparison for me is like for like. I cant comment on the match engine and how that is affected.

19 hours ago, roykela said:

Running full FM, with all leagues and 300k players loaded, on a 64-bit Windows 10 with 16Gb RAM.
Memory usage never exceeds 2.9Gb here. Total memory usage at those times would be around 47%.

-Edit-
Logopacks are being used as well.
Default details.

What was the star rating for game speed? I have same amount of ram and anything over 100k give me 1 & half stars.

Hiya I am getting a new laptop soon and the one I fancy has a 64gb DDR Ram, just wondering what the difference in Ram is between say 8-64gb, is there much difference when it comes to playing FM, I know it is more about the processor and graphics to a lesser extent, but just wanted to ask you lot in here as I aint that technical when it comes to computers.

In almost every circumstance you could possibly ever consider in the history of the world... 64gb ram is overkill beyond belief...

FM17, in my experience, takes up little over 4gb at most in most cases.. another 4gb on top of that is more than enough for multitasking ..

52 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Hiya I am getting a new laptop soon and the one I fancy has a 64gb DDR Ram, just wondering what the difference in Ram is between say 8-64gb, is there much difference when it comes to playing FM, I know it is more about the processor and graphics to a lesser extent, but just wanted to ask you lot in here as I aint that technical when it comes to computers.

But i'm interested... what kind of laptop has 64gb ram?!

4 hours ago, Wizard boy said:

What was the star rating for game speed? I have same amount of ram and anything over 100k give me 1 & half stars.

It was half a star. Don't really have a problem with the game speed though. It flies pretty smoothly.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yep.. 64gb ram is pointless... unless you plan on doing some extreme encoding, running a ram disk or wasting money.

I also see laptops of that sort of spec as completely pointless... they are heavy and bulky and loud to the point of not being portable and you could get a desktop with a better spec for 1/4th of that budget.

Not sure about ignoring it completely. What might be "flying" for me might be crawling for you.
I'd say, take it with a grain of salt.
I added players from all continents with a large database. That gave me approximately 324k players loaded.

4156b8fb16981f9b405b3db05542a2fe.png   7de239022e3a9a640de053e6b8f1de3d.png

44 minutes ago, roykela said:

Not sure about ignoring it completely. What might be "flying" for me might be crawling for you.
I'd say, take it with a grain of salt.
I added players from all continents with a large database. That gave me approximately 324k players loaded.

4156b8fb16981f9b405b3db05542a2fe.png   7de239022e3a9a640de053e6b8f1de3d.png

What are your PC specs?

Archived